Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

You can definitely mesh Bifrost sims but keep in mind that as a FLIP solver it's really best for simulating larger bodies of water, e.g. oceans, waterfalls and such. You can do smaller scale sims but they can behave erratically and result in really long sim times. The RealFlow SPH solver would be better for this application if it was an option for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
God drat, Substance Painter is insanely awesome to use, really wish there where people doing more tutorials on it as i feel what I've been doing from clutzing around is barely a drop in the ocean..

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Keket posted:

God drat, Substance Painter is insanely awesome to use

Spotted your crate in the SA game dev contest thread. ;)

Personally I enjoy Designer more, you can do everything Painter does with more control and precision (except the actual painting part, of course). Not only effects and stuff but just coming up with completely custom textures from nothing, it's really strong.

In fact here's a couple I made for fun:

The only thing I wish Painter did better was the particle tools, they're a bit hit-or-miss for me at least. Maybe I just don't know it well enough, but I've spent a lot more time in Designer so far than Painter (54 versus 3 hours).

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Oh wow, I never really looked at Designer at all, it looks really good for generating tons of materials just to slap around as needed. I really love painter though, being able to paint on image files, use stencils and stuff, most of the rust on the box i painted on with the particle brushes after doing a first pass with the rust texture set to a dust mask.

I just wish it integrated with Blender a bit more, though that's true with most programs, everyone forgets about Blender :(

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I think this will be the final. Converting the whole thing to dynamesh allowed me to blend the elements together much better.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd say it's really more about the flow rather than the sim. If you're already in zbrush you might have better results in directing the shapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tAcZsMhxM0
Here's a sculpt of a very flowing piece done in ZB.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I can't seem to understand how to export things from substance painter, but I guess it's cuz I'm so used to flopping around in Ddo until it spits out something that might look nice. how am I supposed to set roughness and other various doodads so it'll actually chuck out image files?

Also if Autodesk keeps the subscription model the way it currently is, the cost for Max subscriptions will be somewhere around 189 a month.
...probably gonna swap to Modo if it stays like that.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 17, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Colon Semicolon posted:

how am I supposed to set roughness and other various doodads so it'll actually chuck out image files?

I'm pretty sure to export it's just File > Export all Channels. There are ways to add more things in the export list, but I'm not entirely sure how off the top of my head, like I said in other posts I've got a lot more experience in Designer.

Also for adjusting roughness and metallic and other stuff, it's at the bottom of the material window on the right, under the layer selector panel. If you have a layer selected (probably a fill layer), you can adjust color, roughness, and metallic.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

This is the best use of Substance Designer I've ever seen.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

I just noticed, is that a Sports Direct mug hiding on the left?

Project for the weekend, hope to start textures sometime at the end of today, its just so fiddley!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

sigma 6 posted:

I think this will be the final. Converting the whole thing to dynamesh allowed me to blend the elements together much better.

Are you varying the scale of the particles for the fluid mesh generation?

I've done similar effects but generally I've gone from larger scale particles near the intersecting surfaces trailing off to smaller particles via a ramp based upon distance from the surface [via levelsets/volumes and transfering that scalar value to a scale attribute]

That way you get big clumps, tearing away into smaller more detailed fluid like metal. Another look to try.

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
Texture painting in photoshop is a bit of a pain, I can't set down straight lines and such on my models. Does Illustrator have some kind of 3d paint feature? Or is there another program I could use that would be as effective?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Stuff4and5 posted:

Texture painting in photoshop is a bit of a pain, I can't set down straight lines and such on my models. Does Illustrator have some kind of 3d paint feature? Or is there another program I could use that would be as effective?

There's a bunch of programs that do 3D painting--Substance Painter, 3D Coat, Mudbox. I'm not sure what the best option is although we use Substance Painter at work and it's pretty great.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 18, 2015

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

And don't forget Mari, which has basically become the standard texture painting tool in the VFX world.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Big K of Justice posted:

Are you varying the scale of the particles for the fluid mesh generation?

I've done similar effects but generally I've gone from larger scale particles near the intersecting surfaces trailing off to smaller particles via a ramp based upon distance from the surface [via levelsets/volumes and transfering that scalar value to a scale attribute]

That way you get big clumps, tearing away into smaller more detailed fluid like metal. Another look to try.

I have the check box on for "scale rate by speed" in the emitter hoping to achieve the effect you described. Sounds like I am doing it wrong.

Here is the first 3d print prototype. Only 4 inches tall. I think for the next one I will make the platform less tall and go for 5 inches instead.

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
Excellent I will investigate each of those thoroughly, by the way that looks pretty awesome.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

This is basically my dream.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Today I start texturing, after cleaning it up and adding a couple of buttons I didn't do last night.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Hey what materials do you guys like to use while sculpting in zbrush?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SkinShade4 forever at 50% grey.

RedWax comedy option.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
How the hell do I rotate brushes in Substance Painter?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Keket posted:

How the hell do I rotate brushes in Substance Painter?

I don't know, but I do know it'd be a crime against humanity to not make a lens to go with that body. :colbert:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Uhg, I might model my Samyang fisheye next weekend then. Turns out the brushes are linked to camera rotation, which I'm not quite sure If I like or not.

Ignore the terrible texture on the mode selector, it unwrapped weird so I'm going to have to do some fuckery to fix it.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Keket posted:

Uhg, I might model my Samyang fisheye next weekend then. Turns out the brushes are linked to camera rotation, which I'm not quite sure If I like or not.

Ignore the terrible texture on the mode selector, it unwrapped weird so I'm going to have to do some fuckery to fix it.

Looks drat nice, I'd like to see a wireframe. Was this sculpted or subd poly modelling?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Sub polyed it, 100k, you really don't want to see the wireframe, its a terrible abomination of me being super loving lazy and just wanting to texture something.

Seriously..

I could of probably done it faster and with less tris if I sculpted it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I bought a dinosaur animation tutorial from 3DMotive recently. The rig works, the tutorial is pretty useful, but then I turned on wireframe-on-shaded view. WTF is going on with this topology:

It almost causes me physical pain to look at how it's constructed. Why would they do something like this?!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Looks like a decimated zbrush model or some such. Pretty lol that that's for animation, haha.

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015
Feel like there is a simple answer for this. Basically I want him to shake like hes scared. In After Effects its simple expression of wiggling the object in the x and y direction does maya have a similar solution?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah make a keyframe for him still, a keyframe translating left, and a keyframe translating right.

Bam. Shaking.

If you wanna get fancy you could animate a lattice under animation deformers.

Stuff4and5
Jul 16, 2015

ceebee posted:

Yeah make a keyframe for him still, a keyframe translating left, and a keyframe translating right.

Bam. Shaking.

If you wanna get fancy you could animate a lattice under animation deformers.

I want a more natural subtle shaking. But I'll just try to animate a few frames by hand and then loop it. Thanks.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

To get that kind of continuously oscillating movement you need to use an expression. In your main object tab, right click on the box for the translation axis you want and choose Create New Expression. Your expression will be in the format of:

code:
yourObjectName.translate[axis] = sin(time * x) / y;
Where x modifies the speed and y the magnitude of the movement.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Maxwell renderer is on sale right now for $650 for a single use seat - is that worth picking up for some indie look development and such? I know people talk up VRay but it sounds like it's a lot more work to get nice renders out of (though much quicker to actually render?). Just curious what people think, give that VRay is like $1,000, Maxwell is seeming awfully tempting.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Keket posted:

Sub polyed it, 100k, you really don't want to see the wireframe, its a terrible abomination of me being super loving lazy and just wanting to texture something.

Seriously..

I could of probably done it faster and with less tris if I sculpted it.

Hey it doesn't look that bad, don't be hard on yourself. Besides it's not like it needs a good flow for animating or anything anyway.

I'm curious what program this is, because some of those edges look mighty smooth, and there's no extra loops to accomplish that effect. Some sort of soft edge smoothing?

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 21, 2015

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That kind of topology pattern is usually the result of mesh smoothing a triangulated mesh and then collapsing it I believe.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cyne posted:

To get that kind of continuously oscillating movement you need to use an expression. In your main object tab, right click on the box for the translation axis you want and choose Create New Expression. Your expression will be in the format of:

code:
yourObjectName.translate[axis] = sin(time * x) / y;
Where x modifies the speed and y the magnitude of the movement.

Or just use the infinity loop feature in the animation graph editor. Which sometimes lets you focus on just the right back and forth shaking animation for the first few frames (sometimes scripts, especially for beginners, can be hard to get natural movements out of).

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Ccs posted:

I bought a dinosaur animation tutorial from 3DMotive recently. The rig works, the tutorial is pretty useful, but then I turned on wireframe-on-shaded view. WTF is going on with this topology:

It almost causes me physical pain to look at how it's constructed. Why would they do something like this?!

Fun fact about this tutorial: I made that raptor model when I was 16 years old as a mod for Star Wars Jedi Academy. People later ported it to Garry's Mod and Left 4 Dead 2 (without contacting me, of course). Then some guy made an animation tutorial with it and sold it to 3Dmotive. I complained to them and they said he signed a contract guaranteeing that all content was authored by him. I don't think I ever got credit for it in any of those cases :smith:

I have no idea who did that to the geometry, but it was probably a third- or fourth-hand model by the time it got to the 3Dmotive tutorial.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 21, 2015

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

KiddieGrinder posted:

Hey it doesn't look that bad, don't be hard on yourself. Besides it's not like it needs a good flow for animating or anything anyway.

I'm curious what program this is, because some of those edges look mighty smooth, and there's no extra loops to accomplish that effect. Some sort of soft edge smoothing?

Thanks man :)

It's all done in Blender through their cycles render setting, It's kinda funny looking at how powerful it is now after using it for a couple of years around 08.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Haledjian posted:

Fun fact about this tutorial: I made that raptor model when I was 16 years old as a mod for Star Wars Jedi Academy. People later ported it to Garry's Mod and Left 4 Dead 2 (without contacting me, of course). Then some guy made an animation tutorial with it and sold it to 3Dmotive. I complained to them and they said he signed a contract guaranteeing that all content was authored by him. I don't think I ever got credit for it in any of those cases :smith:

I have no idea who did that to the geometry, but it was probably a third- or fourth-hand model by the time it got to the 3Dmotive tutorial.

You could have grounds to sue in some cases, they have to enforce their contract with the guy, not you.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Odddzy posted:

You could have grounds to sue in some cases, they have to enforce their contract with the guy, not you.
Yeah--I did get the video series plus a 75% discount off all their downloads, but in retrospect I probably could have pushed a lot harder. My friends advised me to just take it and at the time I was caught a little too flatfooted by it to think about my options.

I should have asked for a free subscription for as long as they kept the video on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Haledjian posted:

Yeah--I did get the video series plus a 75% discount off all their downloads, but in retrospect I probably could have pushed a lot harder. My friends advised me to just take it and at the time I was caught a little too flatfooted by it to think about my options.

I should have asked for a free subscription for as long as they kept the video on their site.

it's not the worst deal, you could've asked for more and get a credit but a perpetual major rebate is better than a kick in the rear end I guess.