Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ThePriceIsRight posted:

more pics of people getting hosed up pelase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Years of seeing those warning stickers, finally a payoff.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm impressed the strap kept it on the cart even after it bounced off the girl.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I broke ma leg in science class

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

thank you. now i may finally have release

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm impressed the strap kept it on the cart even after it bounced off the girl.

Schools care more about theft than people getting hurt or the tv breaking

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

Schools care more about theft than people getting hurt or the tv breaking
I don't think those straps are meant to do anything with theft. You can easily take the TV out or unlatch them.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CampingCarl posted:

I don't think those straps are meant to do anything with theft. You can easily take the TV out or unlatch them.

Exactly, it's all just a massive lawsuit waiting to happen.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This page explains why AC is connected the way it is.

http://amasci.com/amateur/whygnd.html

Do not ever assume an electrician has connected it the way it's supposed to be, though.

Related question: Are there any applications that would fail to work if you connected hot/neutral the wrong way around?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FIRST TIME posted:

Yeah and that's why you should always disconnect the negative cable first when disconnecting a car battery and connect the positive cable first when connecting a car battery.

Well, not always. Old cars are frequently positive ground.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Phanatic posted:

Well, not always. Old cars are frequently positive ground.

How old are we talking?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

FIRST TIME posted:

How old are we talking?

Same timeframe as 6V systems, I think - so England up to the 60s?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

MrYenko posted:

...The townhouse I live in now has the master and downstairs half bath on one circuit, with a GFCI in the half bath downstairs. Plug something in that trips it? You get to walk down the stairs to reset it! (I understand that a single GFCI is fine, and meets code, but it really should have been installed in the master bathroom, where people actually plug things in, and not the loving half-bath.) Plug too much in? You not only trip the breaker for those two bathrooms, as it should be, but it kills two outlets, on two different outlet plates in the living room, as well. :wtc:

They also installed an interior GFCI outlet on my outdoor outlet box, which is daisy chained to the garage. They didn't properly ground the circuit anything in the entire loving house, so whenever the garage door opener would run, it would trip the GFCI.

And this place has a BETTER electrical system than some I've seen.

I think you live in my house. One circuit and one GFCI in the master bathroom for all three bathrooms. Yet there are 4 circuits in the kitchen none of them GFCI. One circuit powers an outlet in the downstairs garage as well as random outlets on the second floor. Switched outlets (both top and bottom) in all bedrooms. No lighting in the living room AND no switched outlets. I can't see poo poo in our main living space.

I also have several outlets in the basement that I need to fix that have hot/neutral reversed and one with an open ground. They've been like this since 1974 when the house was built. At least I don't have aluminum wiring.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mostlygray posted:

They've been like this since 1974 when the house was built. At least I don't have aluminum wiring.

There's already significant water damage from improperly installed showers, and an improperly sloped second floor patio, as well as the entire tile floor downstairs being replaced in 2013, because the tile guys didn't allow for thermal expansion. (Tiles were popping about once a week in the winter time, sounded like gunshots, about a quarter of them would break in half when they popped.)

If I owned the price of poo poo, I'd A: be loving furious, and B: post in the construction failures thread a lot more often.

Mine was built in 2005. I've often tried to imagine what it's going to be like in another twenty years.

(Probably a gutted slum.)

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

:stare: That TV woulda been heavy as gently caress.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Carbon dioxide posted:

Related question: Are there any applications that would fail to work if you connected hot/neutral the wrong way around?

No. Because the flow of electrons changes directions multiple times a second anyway, depending on the Hz.

Only DC can have a problem with that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sammus posted:

:stare: That TV woulda been heavy as gently caress.

50-80 kg probably, depending on the innards.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

OSHA DOT JAY PEG: What's all this stuff about "grounding"?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

50-80 kg probably, depending on the innards.

can you tell me about the various weights of televisions

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hey the box was marked and turtles are basically made out of armor so I don't see what the big deal is.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

SmokaDustbowl posted:

can you tell me about the various weights of televisions

My dad had a 30" Sony Trinitron that must've weighed 200 pounds easily.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

My dad had a 30" Sony Trinitron that must've weighed 200 pounds easily.

thx

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
My friend had a 32" hanspree brand LCD that weighed like 60 lbs for an unknown reason.

Thanks for reading

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Trinitrons are a special case because they apparently make them out of DU and unobtanium. That was a 27ish inch cart TV at a school, probably didn't weigh much more than 40 or 50 lbs not including the cart.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

Hey the box was marked and turtles are basically made out of armor so I don't see what the big deal is.

It's funny because it's labeled "Harmless", while the turtle is obviously a crazed murderer.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I recently went from a 32" Bravia LED to this 46" Bravia LCD TV and the thing is twice as big and weighs a little more than half as much as the smaller television. :psyduck:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

I recently went from a 32" Bravia LED to this 46" Bravia LCD TV and the thing is twice as big and weighs a little more than half as much as the smaller television. :psyduck:

how much do you think it weighs?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

OSHA DOT JPEG - Electrical Engineering and TV weights

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I had a really heavy tv once

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i have an older panasonic plasma

with the heavy metal stand its 100 pounds

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i have an older panasonic plasma

So the weight of a regular CRT?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

bitcoin bastard posted:

Turtles are also, supposedly, legally mailable.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Of course it is, black leather and metal spikes weigh a lot

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

So the weight of a regular CRT?

actually yeah, before the plasma i had a widescreen 30 inch toshiba CRT that weighed the same

like drat

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

im swole as gently caress so all tvs seem pathetically light to me, dweebs

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Carbon dioxide posted:

This page explains why AC is connected the way it is.

http://amasci.com/amateur/whygnd.html

Fuses and "red button that pops out"? What? Aren't thermal magnetic and residual-current circuit breakers standard in the US? Or is the explanation simplified?

e: huh, so only certain special outlets are protected by RCDs

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 19, 2015

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

hackbunny posted:

Fuses and "red button that pops out"? What? Aren't thermal magnetic and residual-current circuit breakers standard in the US? Or is the explanation simplified?
I've never lived in a place that actually had a fusebox instead of a breaker panel, but I've heard people say "fuses" as a general term for both. The red button refers to GFCI outlets, which are required by code in bathrooms and probably a few other places now.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
In Italy a circuit breaker and an RCD are mandatory for the whole installation, and have been mandatory for as long as I can remember, so it's a little weird to me. The Wikipedia article provides some rationale in the UK section, the idea being that you shouldn't lose all lighting because of a trip, but it seems they recently made RCDs mandatory everywhere too. It's one of those mild culture shocks, like how door knobs are the norm in the USA but it would be a challenging scavenger hunt to find one here

e: and screen doors. And Joroleman mailboxes. Automatic transmissions. Heck, I don't think I've ever seen a lawn around here. Half of the American sayings I read wouldn't make sense if we weren't inundated with your movies

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Audio visual tech used to my occupation for a stretch. Getting those CRTs on the cart is supposed to be a two man job but frequently wasn't.
Surprised that my sacroiliac didn't pop getting those fuckers up there.

• Locked thread