Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
mclean in da house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

axolotl farmer posted:

it's a direction, opposite of down.[citation needed]

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Sweevo posted:

not the statpedia page views thats for sure

We are releasing a new version in the coming time. We re-did the back end framework for performance and scalability. :)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
why?

was that actually solving something or were you doing what you knew how to do?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Ian McLean posted:

We are releasing a new version in the coming time. We re-did the back end framework for performance and scalability. :)

finally statpedia can hold up to all the intense traffic it's been subjected to over the past few weeks

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the people were just waiting for the back end updates

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hey, remember like 4 years ago when I told you how election data de- or re-wonkified would be a great opportunity vector for you? congrats, here we are again with the chance to ignore that

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

http://www.gofundme.com/zmhyyw

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
it's been like this for several minutes. so how is the new backend working out

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

statpedia is supposed to have 80 million users by the end of this year

keep at it, only another 79,999,998 to go

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
ian i really think you need your search box to do natural language processing. for example, one thing that i'm very interested in right now is actual weather data vs. forecast weather data. i'd like to search for, say, "rainfall at my location vs forecast last week". in fact any stat search would be qualified in some way - it has to be.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JawnV6 posted:

hey, remember like 4 years ago when I told you how election data de- or re-wonkified would be a great opportunity vector for you? congrats, here we are again with the chance to ignore that

Yes, I've thought about this and want to do it hopefully by the beginning of 2016 the new system will be stable and we can have this.

Dr. Honked posted:

it's been like this for several minutes. so how is the new backend working out

This is why we are updating the back end. It's like... all these javascript boxes, an insane amount of rendering. No the new back end is not there yet.

Sweevo posted:

statpedia is supposed to have 80 million users by the end of this year

keep at it, only another 79,999,998 to go

Dude. I haven't been funded yet. Working on a Wolfram salary doesn't exactly allot me a great deal of capital to invest in marketing and servers. If someone were to throw me a bone, this thing can seriously explode.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Ian McLean posted:

This is why we are updating the back end. It's like... all these javascript boxes, an insane amount of rendering. No the new back end is not there yet.

yeah you need a good back end to render all that javascript :catstare:

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Dr. Honked posted:

ian i really think you need your search box to do natural language processing. for example, one thing that i'm very interested in right now is actual weather data vs. forecast weather data. i'd like to search for, say, "rainfall at my location vs forecast last week". in fact any stat search would be qualified in some way - it has to be.

I know, this like election data are two places where I can become granular and be really good at one thing. This is probably where I have been criticized most with statpedia (trying to do stats on everything or anything instead of being really good at one thing and using this a building block to expand further).

I do make nice statistics though (I know, my links are long, this is being updated):

http://statpedia.com/index.php/publ...null&_yMax=null

http://statpedia.com/index.php/search/?title=Supercomputer+Share+by+Countries&source=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOP500&id=MzY3&type=table

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Dr. Honked posted:

yeah you need a good back end to render all that javascript :catstare:

javascript boxes that are being fed data ! data from the back end! it makes sense!

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Homestuck guy's Kickstarter got bamboozled by their contractors, the 2.5 million went toward a new King's Quest game.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Ian McLean posted:

I know, this like election data are two places where I can become granular and be really good at one thing. This is probably where I have been criticized most with statpedia (trying to do stats on everything or anything instead of being really good at one thing and using this a building block to expand further).

I do make nice statistics though (I know, my links are long, this is being updated):

http://statpedia.com/index.php/publ...null&_yMax=null

http://statpedia.com/index.php/search/?title=Supercomputer+Share+by+Countries&source=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOP500&id=MzY3&type=table

once again you are not getting it. at all.

example: http://statpedia.com/#!/supercomputers+in+france

how are you generating your data about supercomputer share by country? you must surely have a list of all the supercomputers in the world, and what country they are in, and you should be parsing that query (Supercomputer+Share+by+Countries) to produce that data.

if you are not doing this, then it is utterly worthless.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

madeupfred posted:

Homestuck guy's Kickstarter got bamboozled by their contractors, the 2.5 million went toward a new King's Quest game.

:tipshat:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
also check out this goog search

what purpose does statpedia serve? goog links me directly to the SOURCE DATA for your statpedia entry. statpedia does not have this data and can't answer the question, despite the fact that it's actually using data directly from wikipedia. the wikipedia page that your data is from, is much more useful than the statpedia entry. let's say i don't care about all the blurb in wikipedia, i just want to know numbers. statpedia should be able to do that for me. to do that, it needs to do NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING like goog does, but focussed in on PURE STATS.

"number of supercomputers in france" is a question that statpedia should be able to answer by itself.

try harder Ian!!!!!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

If someone were to throw me a bone, this thing can seriously explode.

this brings up an interesting startup failure mode. the funding should ideally come as seed/series A/series B/etc., but a lot of people get really excited by any money at all and don't figure out if what they're asking for a seed round, and promising those investors in the meantime, is actually enough to get them to a series A. so you have this great idea, it starts to get going, then y'all burn out before doing a 10-15M round that would let them kick back and breathe easy for a bit

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i recently inherited quite a sum of money, how much are you looking for as an investment?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i recently inherited quite a sum of money, how much are you looking for as an investment?

give to this man

http://www.gofundme.com/makevirgilamillion

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Seriously? Between 300k and 2.5 mil depending on the time horizon and scale you are looking to invest. I can show detailed summaries for the varied amounts invested and what it would be put towards.

300k would be to expand the current team for a year as well as ramp up marketing and server requirements. You can email me if you are serious. ian@statpedia.com

Dr. Honked posted:

"number of supercomputers in france" is a question that statpedia should be able to answer by itself.

IBM and Microsoft are investing billions in doing just this. It is not like this is something that can just happen overnight. The long term goal is to do this, and ideally the crowd sourced repository can be leveraged in such a way that this changeover will be unique and meaningful. I have pages of designs made years ago for how this data mashup can work and create unique insights.

JawnV6 posted:

this brings up an interesting startup failure mode. the funding should ideally come as seed/series A/series B/etc., but a lot of people get really excited by any money at all and don't figure out if what they're asking for a seed round, and promising those investors in the meantime, is actually enough to get them to a series A. so you have this great idea, it starts to get going, then y'all burn out before doing a 10-15M round that would let them kick back and breathe easy for a bit

I have read that there is a serious series A crunch right now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
i found a picture of people lining up to give ian money

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the kickstarters are coming from inside the thread

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Ian McLean posted:

IBM and Microsoft are investing billions in doing just this. It is not like this is something that can just happen overnight. The long term goal is to do this, and ideally the crowd sourced repository can be leveraged in such a way that this changeover will be unique and meaningful. I have pages of designs made years ago for how this data mashup can work and create unique insights.

your pages of designs are worthless if the data is inaccessible.

check this out
https://opennlp.apache.org/

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm not being mean ian, i'm just telling you what i can see. i can't see a useful service. i am in the market for this kind of data but you are rejecting my needs. it's feasible, right now, to make an amazing product, and you are rejecting advice from people who want to use it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ian McLean posted:

I go to statpedia.com and I see a search bar. I don't think it's absurd to suggest you have at least partially working search. Wolfram Alpha can do this and they're a giant pile of dog poo poo written in Mathematica.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Suspicious Dish posted:

I go to statpedia.com and I see a search bar. I don't think it's absurd to suggest you have at least partially working search. Wolfram Alpha can do this and they're a giant pile of dog poo poo written in Mathematica.

btw ian apparently works for wolfram alpha and has created a layer on top of it that makes it even worse

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I tried typing several queries of data I'd perhaps like to see and got zero results. I'll not exactly sure how to use your website, as there's no "browse available data" page.

There's perhaps a need for this but you don't have a working product. I can't get any utility out of the lovely website you built.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dr. Honked posted:

btw ian apparently works for wolfram alpha and has created a layer on top of it that makes it even worse

he's still better than ryan charles

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

ayn rand hand job posted:

he's still better than ryan charles

he's way better. i like ian and i want to help him somehow. somehow. how. i like how.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
ian mclean have you ever thought maybe you've been spending too many years on statpedia and you should try something new?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Ian McLean posted:

Seriously? Between 300k and 2.5 mil depending on the time horizon and scale you are looking to invest. I can show detailed summaries for the varied amounts invested and what it would be put towards.

300k would be to expand the current team for a year as well as ramp up marketing and server requirements. You can email me if you are serious. ian@statpedia.com

ok, to be honest I was thinking bigger but something like this could be a good starter for me, can you go in to more detail on the growth plans?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the tech bubble thread is thataway folks

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
ive spent like 5 minutes on the statpedia.org site and i have no idea what it does

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

this seems like a very odd place to be discussing giving 300k-2.5m to a startup. look at the thread. look around you.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i've been up since 9:00 AM yesterday so I'm not sure I can discount the possibility I'm imagining these posts

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

please do not interfer with friend of the forums Ian McLean posting, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Dr. Honked posted:

also check out this goog search

what purpose does statpedia serve? goog links me directly to the SOURCE DATA for your statpedia entry. statpedia does not have this data and can't answer the question, despite the fact that it's actually using data directly from wikipedia. the wikipedia page that your data is from, is much more useful than the statpedia entry. let's say i don't care about all the blurb in wikipedia, i just want to know numbers. statpedia should be able to do that for me. to do that, it needs to do NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING like goog does, but focussed in on PURE STATS.

try harder Ian!!!!!

My cat is not afraid of getting wet! Doll Doll likes the water.

what is this website? http://imgr.com/

My name is Ian McLean so I should probably post this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2u8MWXcGLM

Ian McLean fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 21, 2015

• Locked thread