Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SquadronROE posted:

Nice! April Fool's joke?

Yeah, the cool part was they posted a screenshot on April Fool's day saying it was coming, and everyone was like, lol, good one. Then two weeks later they actually gave us the ships...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lakedaimon posted:

Agreed - fully upgrade the Phoenix. With the guns, third hull, and fire control system, you can easily outrange and kite a lot of tier III boats that will either be unable to target you, or suffer from extremely poor accuracy at their max range while you plink away at them. And the third hull is the first thing in the USN Cruiser line that can actually shoot down planes with some efficacy. Unfortunately AA range is only short enough that the planes usually have to be attacking you or passing right overhead.

And you should always be steaming directly towards your target, doing the 'serpentine' thing as to bring both side's guns to bear on a single target. You can match a St. Louis' weight of fire once you get comfortable doing that, and you present less of a target head on.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And you should always be steaming directly towards your target, doing the 'serpentine' thing as to bring both side's guns to bear on a single target. You can match a St. Louis' weight of fire once you get comfortable doing that, and you present less of a target head on.

Isn't it also really hard to citadel you from the front, since it has to dig through the entire front part of the boat?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Had a great game in Hotspot 3 caps domination. Our team (tier 8 top) went NW and spotted enemy Izumo in the process, destroyed them all (I even hit 1 torp and sunk an Atago with torp launched from 10 km :psyduck:) and destroyed the remaining enemy with only 1 loss. Except the last remaining destroyer was abusing map edge in order to poop torps. Basically he was grinding the map edge for about 1 minutes dropping torps and reloading. Someone finally managed to get to the same edge and pop him for good though. Seriously gently caress these map edge abusing fuckers. :argh:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Night10194 posted:

Isn't it also really hard to citadel you from the front, since it has to dig through the entire front part of the boat?

If they actually get a shell to go straight through your nose, you can get citadeled, especially by a battleship, but the ship's so skinny good luck.

As opposed to broadside where you can oneshot the things in a BB.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Aesis posted:

Had a great game in Hotspot 3 caps domination. Our team (tier 8 top) went NW and spotted enemy Izumo in the process, destroyed them all (I even hit 1 torp and sunk an Atago with torp launched from 10 km :psyduck:) and destroyed the remaining enemy with only 1 loss. Except the last remaining destroyer was abusing map edge in order to poop torps. Basically he was grinding the map edge for about 1 minutes dropping torps and reloading. Someone finally managed to get to the same edge and pop him for good though. Seriously gently caress these map edge abusing fuckers. :argh:

Is this where they are just driving straight into the edge so they can shoot along it or is it something different?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I really wish they'd gently caress off with the sky in flames mission. I've effectively two mission slots because of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

yaay posted:

I really wish they'd gently caress off with the sky in flames mission. I've effectively two mission slots because of it.

All three of my mission slots are Sky in Flames. All three.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dustoph posted:

Is this where they are just driving straight into the edge so they can shoot along it or is it something different?

It's where they drive into the edge to make aiming at them easy.

yaay posted:

They need to make missions cancelable.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Just how are you supposed to play the Amagi? You've got the same ineffective-at-range firecrackers the Nagato has, but this time around you don't have as many secondaries, and you're a longer, less armored target. You're much faster, which is nice, but that never stopped anybody from hitting you where it hurts in the first place.

This is the best I could manage in it so far. Playing it like a Nagato is largely getting me wrecked, and trying to play it like a Fuso is giving me mixed results (though mostly I just miss nearly all my shots everytime). I've got Steering Gears 2 and Gun Fire Control 1 on this thing, which I'm thinking I'm just gonna switch back to Main Battery Mod 1 or else the turrets just can't keep up with the ship's speed.

People speak very highly of this ship, so I know I'm doing something wrong here.

OSad fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 18, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How do I get Mod 2 for my various mods? I only ever see the first Mod available.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Just hanging around TS in my low tier newness waiting to be verified.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Night10194 posted:

:shepicide:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Night10194 posted:

My missions are bugged. I've got 'Sniper', 'Surprise Attack', and the third has been counting down 'Time till update' for over 24 hours. I've just landed seven torpedo hits and neither Sniper or Surprise Attack have completed/shown progress.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I hate the kawachi so much, oh my god.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
So am I wasting XP by buying all the B/C hulls of a ship, or am I being charged that when I buy the next hull anyways?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

I hate the kawachi so much, oh my god.

The Myogi is worse.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Dustoph posted:

It's driving into edge. In this case you just need to account for distance.

Alternatively just unlock target and shoot. Either work but shooting along same edge is easier.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

orange juche posted:

The Myogi is worse.

How do people survive until the loving Kongo then?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

Free XP. At least that's my plan. Been grinding in my St. Louis for this.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I have that and Guardian. Yay.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

I'm using my atago to grind 4k xp per match.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

It's 20k experience, not a tier 10 grind.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

in the kawachi you point your bow toward the nearest enemy ship and hold down left click. in the myogi you point your bow toward the nearest ship and when they fire back, point your stern at them and hold left click

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Myogi isn't bad, ugh. Stop trying to kill people at 15KM+ and you'll have a much better time of actually hitting your targets. If you can't kill targets still, well, I got bad news for you regarding the Kongo.

Its gonna be EXACTLY the same.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Maybe the arming distance for air dropped torpedoes should maybe be a bit farther out. I managed to get within the arming circle of one, but the other 2 nope.

Also, if they can't manage to get even tier carriers in a match, then they need to make them wait in the matchmaker. Getting a single Langely against a tier 5 IJN carrier isn't fair in the slightest. This guy ended up with a 2500xp base xp game. No one could do anything against 3 torpedo wings.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My buddy got to try out his Langely today, all excited, and got matched against two enemy Tier 5 carriers. It was a terrible first experience.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

that's pretty much 2\3 of my Langley matches :\

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

my DD captain is literally 1xp away from being retrained and getting his full skills back, so I get another awesome game without the detection skill gently caress

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

it's cool that WG's response to a widely hated mechanic in tanks that involved massive indirect damage barely moderated by too much RNG in tanks was to replace it's function in boats with a system that is the same, but removes the RNG

yaay fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 18, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

yaay posted:

it's cool that WG's response to a mechanic that involved massive indirect damage barely moderated by too much RNG in tanks was to replace it's function with a system that is the same, but removes the RNG

The RNG is still there. It's called 'Did the matchmaker put me in a game where I'm outnumbered by my opposite or outtiered and can do nothing this game or do I get to feast'

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

Night10194 posted:

The RNG is still there. It's called 'Did the matchmaker put me in a game where I'm outnumbered by my opposite or outtiered and can do nothing this game or do I get to feast'

oh that too. Nobody cares about arty disparity but lol if you end up in a 2v1 carrier match.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I decided to take my higher tier premiums to coop matches because would of atagos was getting boring and holy gently caress that was a mistake. The bots will stick relatively together and have way better accuracy than players.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ranbo das posted:

I decided to take my higher tier premiums to coop matches because would of atagos was getting boring and holy gently caress that was a mistake. The bots will stick relatively together and have way better accuracy than players.

They aggressively bore in on human players, too.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I think that maybe carriers can see too much by themselves. I understand that planes in real life had radios in them, so they could report enemy positions back to their battleships/carriers, but this is exaggerated in boats. A carrier on an ideal situation doesn't need anybody else because they have aircraft to spot for them, and the aircraft don't have an operational range or maximum air time.

The carrier rushes at the beginning of matches seem to come entirely out of this. A carrier can take his sweet time launching and mushing all his bombers together, and most of the time said bombers will still make it to the enemy lines before an experienced destroyer can even spot another class of enemy ship. Since planes can spot for themselves, it's trivial for a carrier player to dumpster a hapless fool at the beginning of the match, often times - if out-tiered - without the carrier/carriers in your team being able to do a drat thing to stop it entirely.

And without any range/fuel limit, a carrier player can sneak his planes around the entire edge of the map in order to kill the carrier in your team. Often this only takes two or three minutes to do, but if WoWs portrays naval engagements in a reduced scale, then surely the concept of time is compressed as well. Planes should not be able to fly for that long, even on an arcade setting, I think. If you choose to do something like that, then you should probably have it in your mind that you may lose all those squadrons because you made them wander too far off of your range, and they couldn't get back to you in time.

Spotter aircraft on other classes of ships are okay since you don't have any direct control over them, but I don't really think carriers should have this much vision power, and I don't think planes should have this much autonomy from your carrier. You should have to depend on your fleet more as a carrier, and your planes should have to depend more on your carrier. This shouldn't just be the bomb/fighter dispenser with big tier discrepancies that it is right now.

(note, I don't know a drat thing about planes in real life so this could be entirely wrong)

OSad fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 18, 2015

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They aggressively bore in on human players, too.

I downloaded the NA client to use late nights when EU is dead. Much to my wonder I found a whole load of people (tier 2 and 3) in the co-op battles I had to do before it let me into normal ones. There must be dozens who've not cottoned on that there is another mode against people.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Whereas in WOT arties can only see scouted enemy, carriers in WOWS can scout AND kill way too easily while remaining hidden. Wargaming could just show outline of enemy scouted by planes and update the outline every 1 second instead.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm starting to get a decent bit of freeXP. What do people tend to use it for? Ship upgrades upon getting a new ship?

I'm crippled by indecision.

Edit: I'll never get tired of firing broadsides of AP at 5km into some pubby cruiser using HE.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 18, 2015

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, the cool part was they posted a screenshot on April Fool's day saying it was coming, and everyone was like, lol, good one. Then two weeks later they actually gave us the ships...

I really really hope they do it again, that really made my month :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sankis posted:

I'm starting to get a decent bit of freeXP. What do people tend to use it for? Ship upgrades upon getting a new ship?

I'm crippled by indecision.

Edit: I'll never get tired of firing broadsides of AP at 5km into some pubby cruiser using HE.

Upgrading new ships or skipping awful ships are the two most common uses.