Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Police are investigating a suspicious item, thought to be an improvised explosive device, found outside a Sydney waterfront property owned by Australian test cricketer Brad Haddin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Just saw that, that seems pretty messed up

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Scylo posted:

Police are investigating a suspicious item, thought to be an improvised explosive device, found outside a Sydney waterfront property owned by Australian test cricketer Brad Haddin.

I'd say this thread is a good starting point for the investigation.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Maybe ISIS are waging jihad against nature strips and it was a coincidence that it was placed outside a cricketer's home.

But in all seriousness, what a dick prank for someone to do.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
When a sports player in Canada missed an important thing for the local team that resulted in them losing a big game, a fan dumped a load of manure on the player's front lawn.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

serious gaylord posted:

Havent seen any comments about the pitch from the aussies for the last hour or so. They all asleep?

The Australian bowlers realised the way to combat a awful wicket is to drop swinging yorkers at 90mph.

Byolante fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 18, 2015

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Scylo posted:

Poor guy can't catch a break, or much else, really.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Byolante posted:

The Australian bowlers realised the way to combat a awful wicket is to drop swinging yorkers at 90mph.

Is this a joke? It was straight and he missed it. Swung it over a foot lol

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lionel Richie posted:

Is this a joke? It was straight and he missed it. Swung it over a foot lol

He played across the line. They are giving him too much credit.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Was watching the highlights on cricinfo, and I don't know about a foot but it swings in a fair bit. Pitches leg or so and he tries to whip it off his pads, but it curves right past them.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Let's not get carried away, even if he was at home it was well outside. And actually he was on literally the other side of the world on the balcony at lord's.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Coucho Marx posted:

Was watching the highlights on cricinfo, and I don't know about a foot but it swings in a fair bit. Pitches leg or so and he tries to whip it off his pads, but it curves right past them.

That Ian Bell still shot is great. I was listening to a TMS on how elite cricketers track the ball. In short they really don't. Less skilled cricketers try and follow the ball but because its impossible they are always a bit behind trying to catch up. Elite cricketers end up ahead of the ball by just looking at where they believe the ball will pitch based on a bunch of factors.

Bells head position shows that he really did think it was going to pitch outside leg but it clearly pitched on middle and off. It is interesting that he is THAT out of form.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lythes was inexcusable tbh. 560 runs on the board already and you come out and have a lazy waft at a ball miles outside off. He should be sent home.

Its supposed to belt it down for bits of sunday and monday so England might get out of this one if they're not literal retards.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 18, 2015

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Lythes was inexcusable tbh. 560 runs on the board already and you come out and have a lazy waft at a ball miles outside off. He should be sent home.

Its supposed to belt it down all sunday so England might get out of this one if they're not literal retards.

It was a bad shot. Obviously really tired legs from being out on the field but that means there is less reason for him to play at it. Ballance though has a lot of trouble with a full ball. That seems to be a problem for a number 3

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
Sorry to ask this question again but unfortunately I'm at work tonight and require a video stream of the game, any recommendations?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Lyth will last longer than he should because they'll go for the "we don't want to keep changing things" argument. I can't really see who else there is realistically. I thought Lees might be the next one in and he's probably the long term choice but he's not really hammering the door down atm

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

What happened to that Australian fellow. There was a lot of press about him being a huge loss to Australia last year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I care so little about Lyth that i cant even be bothered to spell his name right.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Robson, probably not good enough. Averaging 34 with 1 hundred and 2 fifties from 21 innings this season.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think thats the problem. Bell and Lyth aren't good enough right now but theres no-one to replace them.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Bairstow by rights should be in the side with his form this season, but then again he's looked wishy washy in test cricket so I wouldn't be confident of him doing any better than Bell.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I think thats the problem. Bell and Lyth aren't good enough right now but theres no-one to replace them.

Drop Bell, bring in bairstow, rejig the order to put root at 3, balance at 4, stokes 5, bairstow 6

No idea what to do about the opener, do with go for another bloke who can sit there with cook and absorb 30 overs at 2.5 or do we get a basher in to take he pressure off cook?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I wouldn't be too keen to move Root to three. In "theory" he should be there (or four) but he is comfortable at 5 at present and should stay there (for moment). I think Clarke should move back to 5 tbh.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Good to see our commentary poo poo talking Kookaburras for once.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

HAZE looks like he's going to be a very good bowler

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Stokes blasted that one

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

We just can't get rid of watto

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Negligent posted:

The ghost at the feast

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
how many times are they going to replay the wickets

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

NSW is the best, no Victoria is the best

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Negligent posted:

I haven't started watching yet. What's going on with Watto?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

hahha crowd 50 there

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

This is actually Watson's dream come true. He doesn't have to do anything except stand at first slip for a bit then he can go off and practice his oasis covers.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

monkeu posted:

I haven't started watching yet. What's going on with Watto?

He is fielding in slips because Voges has a niggle

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Voges was a bit hurt yesterday, hit on the hip by a shot off Stokes I think, getting treatment.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Don't bowl short to Cook in England plz

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Stokes needs to wind it in a little and bat more defensively if England are going to draw this. Just one stupid shot and the match is finished. Big pressure

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Warne is actually insightful when he's taking about bowling tactics. Shame that's only about 2% of the time his mouth opens.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Johnson is bowling well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He's going to get one of these yorkers past Stokes sooner or later, Stokes is very late on them