Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think it's offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's more funny that Jason "I'm a Human who's Shaped like a Bean Bag" Whitlock thinks he's an expert on lovin' the wimmins

Race Relations
Love Advice
Hot Takes

Is there nothing this man can't do

Start up a website

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I don't think it's offensive.

It's actually about ethics in sports journalism.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The joke isn't offensive because it's at his own expense. The joke is that he's a bad potential mate, not that it's awesome that he knows how to manipulate women.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin can be hit and miss but their Stacks sub-page is fantastic and they dug up a story about how former NFL QB Ken Stabler planted coke on a beat writer he didn't like

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

http://deadspin.com/no-one-knows-what-espn-is-doing-to-grantland-1718037323

Well doesn't seem like Grantland is in a really good place right now. Too bad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ramadu posted:

http://deadspin.com/no-one-knows-what-espn-is-doing-to-grantland-1718037323

Well doesn't seem like Grantland is in a really good place right now. Too bad.

A whole lot of conjecture in that piece. Not that I think ESPN will keep Grantland mostly as is, but there is very little proof of anything significantly changing.

They do bring up a good point to keep tabs on who stays or leaves at the end of this year as contracts expire, though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean, if I'm Morris I take that NYT job.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean, if I'm Morris I take that NYT job.

Definitely more high-profile, but it might not be a slam dunk depending on what kind of role he wants.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

True, but we have no clue what that might even be, since it's all rumor.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I think Deadspin might go before Grantland.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I think Deadspin might go before Grantland.

Doesn't Deadspin get like 20 million views a month? No way is Gawker shutting that thing down.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

they were probably referring to the fact gawker may be shut down

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

BWV posted:

they were probably referring to the fact gawker may be shut down

For those not in the know, it's for this:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/07/gawker-slammed-for-story-outing-conde-nast-exec.html

Also there's that pending lawsuit over the Hulk Hogan sex tape

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

from what i understand the Hogan one seems like the real threat. The Conde Nast thing from last night while unethical and just mean is probably not going to result in any legal blowback IMO.
It does beg a question:

WHO WILL DEADSPIN THE DEADPSIN

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

When people talk about Gawker going down it's over the sex tape, since there is going to be a trial and they could stand to lose a bunch of money. The other thing is just a stupid decision some writer made yesterday that may or may not get him fired, but probably not.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Surely if anyone would get fired it would be the editor, no?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It probably got millions of clicks and since that is sort of the purpose of the site I don't think anyone will be fired.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lowe has sounded pissed off and is clearly a huge BS fan so I would assume he is gone.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Noctone posted:

Surely if anyone would get fired it would be the editor, no?

Sort of on topic with this thread, the dude who made that decision (and apparently was mad about it later getting pulled down) was Tommy Craggs.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Hogans lawyers just...ahem... Hulked up after this latest Gawker disaster.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

nothing funnier than the idea that a whole media empire can be brought down by a balding, anthropomorphic hot dog

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 18, 2015

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I would pay 9.99 to watch Hogan cut a promo on those pencil neck geeks

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

objection, the prosecution is dramatically ripping its tanktop

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I don't get the whole gawker vs reddit slap fight anyways.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

davecrazy posted:

I don't get the whole gawker vs reddit slap fight anyways.

There are things about Reddit that are Bad

People like reading about things that are Bad

By writing about the things about Reddit that are Bad, Gawker ensures that people will read stuff

Now you understand. Congratulations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There are things about Reddit that are Bad

People like reading about things that are Bad

By writing about the things about Reddit that are Bad, Gawker ensures that people will read stuff

Now you understand. Congratulations.

If this is about the Conde Nast thing, I thought they cut ties with Reddit a while ago

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Well yeah but going after a Conde Nast management dudes sex life fits in there how?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

davecrazy posted:

Well yeah but going after a Conde Nast management dudes sex life fits in there how?

I don't think anyone really knows; I was referring more to the whole 'Gawker Versus Reddit' thing in general.

I don't know what in the gently caress prompted the article about the Conde Nast CFO; that was just sheer shittiness.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gawker having an entire section called "Defamer" is a pretty big clue as to why they would be such shitasses over nothing. Skewering people over anything they can find is what they do, ethics be damned.

EDIT: This could be read as dismissively saying "Gawker will be Gawker" so let me make it clear: it's incredibly awful that they pull stunts like this on occasion.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 18, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"Just Sheer Shittiness" is basically the mission statement of Gawker though

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Gentlemen, You have undertaken to post my sex tape. I won't sue you, for law is too slow. I'll pretend to headbutt you. Yours truly, Terry Hulk Hogan

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Gawker and Deadspin used to have some decent writers back in the day. I mean it was still poo poo but you could find something interesting here and there. Most of those writers seemed to have moved on to other publications.

Now it's a weird group of self-important trust fund babies from New York who write like sociopaths.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I blame AJ Daulerio, for everything all the time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Niwrad posted:

Gawker and Deadspin used to have some decent writers back in the day. I mean it was still poo poo but you could find something interesting here and there. Most of those writers seemed to have moved on to other publications.

Now it's a weird group of self-important trust fund babies from New York who write like sociopaths.
Deadspin still puts out good writing, Greg Howard for instance, is a great read, and I personally enjoy those drunkspin beer reviews. Nick Denton remains a horrible, horrible person though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Deadspin's purpose for me is either really stupid but funny little videos and screencaps or the occasional angry Magary rant--when he's actually on. It's really evident in Why Your Team Sucks that he can't actually muster a great takedown of everything, but the fan responses are the best part of that series anyway.

Occasionally something else will be good (the recent "I'm Worried About David Brooks" was really hilarious) but for the most part it's whatever.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

being sued for refusing to take down a hulk hogan sex tape-- there is no cluster of words in that phrase that is not funny

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

being sued for refusing to take down a hulk hogan sex tape-- there is no cluster of words in that phrase that is not funny

It's a pretty special time to be alive.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Isn't he like 90 years old now? Why would anyone even want to see it?