Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

homeless poster posted:

it is kinda funny that a lot of people were speculating that Terry was going to be some kind of secret ultra best character because he's so lame in the beginning and the game is all about screwing with your expectations so obviously he's going to be a monster at level 50, and then nope he sucks all the way through. but, the real best character in the game is available shortly into chapter 2 and he only costs like 20 mags because you have to buy some whiskey for him to join you. don't recruit birdie if you don't want the entire game to become ez mode
nah, Birdie turns Terry's Hottest Dance into a game ender, apparently - I just stuck with the overpowered Selfless Brad/Birdie/Nern/Mad Dog for my playthrough (I didn't know this was a common/overpowered team, I just really liked having a guy who talks too much, a boring tank, and a drunk as my party).

I want to replay this and make sure every single party member is dead before the final sequence - do you still have the "fight your old party" battle where everyone cries at you? This might suck though - I want my second playthrough to be Selfish Brad/Carp/Harvey/probably someone lame/underused like RT or Beastborn, and I really like using unpopular guys in games and get bizarrely connected to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I think the ending nails the point that in the end your choices are pointless since everything was out of your control from the start. Jokes on you if you thought you could do anything about it.

"Did I do the right thing?" No Brad. There was no right thing, past or present.

As for Buzzo he'll get his in the last girl dlc, but yes his story is stuffed mostly in the endings which for someone who didn't aim for them can be confusing as hell.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

it is kinda funny that a lot of people were speculating that Terry was going to be some kind of secret ultra best character because he's so lame in the beginning and the game is all about screwing with your expectations so obviously he's going to be a monster at level 50, and then nope he sucks all the way through. but, the real best character in the game is available shortly into chapter 2 and he only costs like 20 mags because you have to buy some whiskey for him to join you. don't recruit birdie if you don't want the entire game to become ez mode

Terry is actually very strong when you unlock his Hottest Dance skill and have Birdie. Birdie oils the enemy and then Terry uses the dance, does 8-10k and is arguably better than stacking DoTs.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Near the end of my second playthrough, and I've yet to find out where this place leads (Hub Area 3 spoilers)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Anything special up with the Bar in the first hub that is just an empty blue room?

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Anything special up with the Bar in the first hub that is just an empty blue room?

Don't sleep outside and you won't have to worry about it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, Lisa the Joyless, when is it coming out?

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I've discovered some Shenanigans in the game's last scene, (obviously, spoilers)

You can equip the Degrading Dress at any point between fights. This has the practical effect of increasing your movespeed, as well as being hilariously out of place.\

You can even equip the dress after Brad goes all joy mutant. Yep.

Also, after you beat Rando, you can present his corpse any of the maps in your inventory. He'll begin channeling the spirit of Shardy and will teleport you to any of the islands in the game. You can return to the main map by talking to Shardy once you've arrived, effectively letting you explore the map in the end game. You can even go talk to Tardy, who will build you a boat despite not having any of the items left. Doing so makes the game lock up, however.

pentyne posted:

So, Lisa the Joyless Joyful, when is it coming out?

Summer 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm at area 2, and have gotten the TNT, defeated the doctor in the basement, found a mysterious record, recruited the crossdresser, and gotten my rear end kicked by both the surviving hair gang member, and the McDonalds guards. The island you found with the map had nothing on it. I can't get into the "Joy" lab, and the big boulder is impervious to TNT. What am I supposed to do?

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I'm at area 2, and have gotten the TNT, defeated the doctor in the basement, found a mysterious record, recruited the crossdresser, and gotten my rear end kicked by both the surviving hair gang member, and the McDonalds guards. The island you found with the map had nothing on it. I can't get into the "Joy" lab, and the big boulder is impervious to TNT. What am I supposed to do?

The Joy lab is Pain mode content only, sorry bud

You said you defeated the McDonalds guards, but it doesn't sound like you've fully searched the area in which you find them...

Also, if you mean the Resort map, there's some (well hidden) goodies in there. there's 4 invisible switches scattered throughout the rooms. Listen for a hollow knocking sound whenever you walk over tiles

EDIT: One last thing, to put that record to good use, try going left when you enter the Swamp area.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The degrading dress actually will overwrite your appearance in the ending when Brad becomes a Joy-mutant, making the sequence even better.

Renoistic: Try just going right. You have explored all entrances that were blocked by TNT, right? (I think its 3)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I don't think you can get into the big boulder cave. I think at that if you've done the construction area and Wally's you should head back to the blockade at the hub area.

I'm tempted between starting a pain mode run (Joyless & Selfless) or just playing LISA the first.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ezzer posted:

The Joy lab is Pain mode content only, sorry bud

You said you defeated the McDonalds guards, but it doesn't sound like you've fully searched the area in which you find them...

Also, if you mean the Resort map, there's some (well hidden) goodies in there. there's 4 invisible switches scattered throughout the rooms. Listen for a hollow knocking sound whenever you walk over tiles

EDIT: One last thing, to put that record to good use, try going left when you enter the Swamp area.

Nah, I never managed to beat them and figured it was side content. I'll give it another go. I only have the desolate map, so I guess that's another thing to look out for.

EDIT:
And here I thought Pain mode only was a difficulty setting. Damnit.

FrickenMoron posted:

Renoistic: Try just going right. You have explored all entrances that were blocked by TNT, right? (I think its 3)
Yeah, but they won't let me through.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 17, 2015

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Nah, I never managed to beat them and figured it was side content. I'll give it another go. I only have the desolate map, so I guess that's another thing to look out for.

EDIT:
And here I thought Pain mode only was a difficulty setting. Damnit.

Did you do everything on Dismal island? there's a pretty sweet handgun in it for you if you complete it.

...As well as the most unsettling sound clip in the entire game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ezzer posted:

Did you do everything on Dismal island? there's a pretty sweet handgun in it for you if you complete it.

...As well as the most unsettling sound clip in the entire game.

I didn't find anything there? Can you enter through some crack in the wall or something?

EDIT:
Damnit forgot to actually explore the desert.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I didn't find anything there? Can you enter through some crack in the wall or something?

You should see something not entirely unlike a rope on the island, you can't miss it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, but they won't let me through.
Okay at Wally's did you go through the cave full of Dad spiders

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ezzer posted:

You should see something not entirely unlike a rope on the island, you can't miss it.

Haha I thought that it was just a crack in the wall and the whole island just another middle finger to the player. Thanks.

Golden Goat posted:

Okay at Wally's did you go through the cave full of Dad spiders
I'll have a look, thanks.

EDIT: Aaand the boss at the island perma-killed my favorite party member. Figures.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 17, 2015

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Renoistic posted:

EDIT: Aaand the boss at the island perma-killed my favorite party member. Figures.

i would strongly suggest continuing with your game even though he died. it gives you very slight reason to use different party members, and fits the overall theme of the narrative better than reloading.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

homeless poster posted:

i would strongly suggest continuing with your game even though he died. it gives you very slight reason to use different party members, and fits the overall theme of the narrative better than reloading.

Additionally the game isn't so hard that losing one, all or only the most broken ones will result in the game being incredibly difficult.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

homeless poster posted:

Yeah I don't reload for stuff like that. I reloaded a couple of times in the beginning after unwinnable fights that leave you with 1hp because I was very short on items. Funnily enough the second area seems much more forgiving than the first one more stores and cash, the cheap inn etc.

Edit: He was replaced with the finger poke guy, who is awesome by the way. Still gonna miss Kat.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 17, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You can grind for mags in those dark hallways but it never really makes too much of a difference.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Golden Goat posted:

You can grind for mags in those dark hallways but it never really makes too much of a difference.

likewise, i rarely, if ever, upgraded my gear at the weapon chest guy, either because i would forget, or one of several other events would cause me to lose all my mags anyway. it made next to no difference over the course of the game; there wasn't any boss i had to retry and there wasn't ever a point where the monsters were so hard i had to go back and grind. i think i pretty much just upgraded the gear of my main team by cannibalizing the gear off whoever was the newest recruit.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I try to upgrade equipment whenever possible and most bosses still one or two shot my characters excerpt the MC.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

homeless poster posted:

i think i pretty much just upgraded the gear of my main team by cannibalizing the gear off whoever was the newest recruit.
Oh yeah that's a good point I just cleared out new guys stuff and sold it if it wasn't an upgrade for who I wanted.

Also if you don't want to use joy due to the withdrawl stuff just sell it for 10 mags a piece and get some jerky.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ezzer posted:

Near the end of my second playthrough, and I've yet to find out where this place leads (Hub Area 3 spoilers)

There's a spot in the hub where you can fall off a cliff and survive.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Starting to feel a bit helpless here. I rescued Buddy ("happy reunion" indeed) but I can't get out. No teleport, I can't seem to go back, and I can't blow up the giant rock. I've run back and fourth a couple of times now. What do I need to do?

EDIT: Welp, nevermind. Found it. Not the biggest hitbox - I had already tried the same spot twice.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 17, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Starting to feel a bit helpless here. I rescued Buddy ("happy reunion" indeed) but I can't get out. No teleport, I can't seem to go back, and I can't blow up the giant rock. I've run back and fourth a couple of times now. What do I need to do?

Truck keys?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wondered if the game could get any darker. Turns out that yes, it could.

EDIT: Then I had a streak of bad luck, got abandoned by a party member, failed to loose the wrestling match, then my party was slaughtered, Brad lost an arm and everything he had, and was stuck with only the truck driver.. Ouch.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 17, 2015

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Genocyber posted:

There's a spot in the hub where you can fall off a cliff and survive.

Of loving course. My least favorite mechanic in any video game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So, I finished the game on normal difficulty. Are there alternative endings? I feel like I'm missing something. I never met the gang leader who cuts off Brad's arm because of - reasons - again. And I never found out what was up with the first girl. I guess these two things are related, but is it something you find out in other difficulties / endings? It's kind of strange how that plot point never gets resolved, when the girl is in the main menu! I feel like the whole - kill dad - kill everyone - kill student - turn into monster - thing came out of nowhere. I'm guessing Joy turns people into monsters - what with the houses before the locked entrance to the Joy factory.

Is it worth replaying the game on Pain? The game was an experience all right but I can't say it was all that - fun -

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Renoistic posted:

So, I finished the game on normal difficulty. Are there alternative endings? I feel like I'm missing something. I never met the gang leader who cuts off Brad's arm because of - reasons - again. And I never found out what was up with the first girl. I guess these two things are related, but is it something you find out in other difficulties / endings? It's kind of strange how that plot point never gets resolved, when the girl is in the main menu! I feel like the whole - kill dad - kill everyone - kill student - turn into monster - thing came out of nowhere. I'm guessing Joy turns people into monsters - what with the houses before the locked entrance to the Joy factory.

Is it worth replaying the game on Pain? The game was an experience all right but I can't say it was all that - fun -

Everything you could ever want to know about the girl is answered in the game LISA is a sequel to, "Lisa the First"

I know how you feel, I was hoping the game would wrap up at least some of its loose ends, but I didn't find out this game was the 2nd in a trilogy until after I beat it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Renoistic posted:

The girl on the title screen that also randomly appears throughout the game is the titular character. She is Brad's dead sister, and she ties Buzzo to Brad and Marty. Basically, before the apocalypse Marty molested Lisa and she ultimately kills herself. Brad holds himself responsible, even though he was also a kid, because she was his sister and Marty was also an rear end in a top hat to him. Buzzo (named Bernard before the apocalypse) also holds Brad responsible for Lisa's death because he was friends with her and he believes it's also Brad's fault that Marty wasn't stopped. Buzzo, as an adult, later meets up with the mad scientist who develops Joy and works with/for him in some capacity. Joy was intended to be some type of military grade combat enhancing drug, but obviously the side-effect of turning habitual users into uncontrollable mutants pretty much kills the chance any military will pay for it. Prior to the apocalypse Buzzo leaves the mad scientist and sets out with a bunch of Joy and his motivations are pretty undefined, but suffice to say main idea is making Brad suffer for Lisa's suicide. Buzzo is also the person who turns Dusty into Red Skull Rando, and this act is likely where he changes his name from Bernard to Buzzo.

The only two things that actually change what ending you get are never using Joy ever at any point (excluding the one time Buzzo force feeds it to you in front of Buddy), and playing thru the entire game on pain mode. The ending for pain mode actually overwrites the ending for no Joy, so you might as well go hog wild with Joy on a pain mode session, as you literally can't see the no Joy ending in pain mode.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

FirstAidKite posted:

Everything you could ever want to know about the girl is answered in the game LISA is a sequel to, "Lisa the First"

I know how you feel, I was hoping the game would wrap up at least some of its loose ends, but I didn't find out this game was the 2nd in a trilogy until after I beat it.

homeless poster posted:

The girl on the title screen that also randomly appears throughout the game is the titular character. She is Brad's dead sister, and she ties Buzzo to Brad and Marty. Basically, before the apocalypse Marty molested Lisa and she ultimately kills herself. Brad holds himself responsible, even though he was also a kid, because she was his sister and Marty was also an rear end in a top hat to him. Buzzo (named Bernard before the apocalypse) also holds Brad responsible for Lisa's death because he was friends with her and he believes it's also Brad's fault that Marty wasn't stopped. Buzzo, as an adult, later meets up with the mad scientist who develops Joy and works with/for him in some capacity. Joy was intended to be some type of military grade combat enhancing drug, but obviously the side-effect of turning habitual users into uncontrollable mutants pretty much kills the chance any military will pay for it. Prior to the apocalypse Buzzo leaves the mad scientist and sets out with a bunch of Joy and his motivations are pretty undefined, but suffice to say main idea is making Brad suffer for Lisa's suicide. Buzzo is also the person who turns Dusty into Red Skull Rando, and this act is likely where he changes his name from Bernard to Buzzo.

The only two things that actually change what ending you get are never using Joy ever at any point (excluding the one time Buzzo force feeds it to you in front of Buddy), and playing thru the entire game on pain mode. The ending for pain mode actually overwrites the ending for no Joy, so you might as well go hog wild with Joy on a pain mode session, as you literally can't see the no Joy ending in pain mode.

Thanks for clearing that up! I'll probably look up the differences - Pain mode sounds horrible from what I've heard. I'll probably pick up the sequel, though.

EDIT: I have to give the developers credit for managing to up the ante throughout the game without making it feel too exploitative. Also it felt pretty good to really let loose in final fight sequence. For about 2 seconds I actually thought my two surviving party members would help me out. But of course not.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 17, 2015

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

The first game obviously didn't have a sequel in mind when it was made, but the second has a lot of callbacks to it including the spiders and most importantly why Brad assumes the worst that Sticky "talked" to Buddy about sex and why you can't POSSIBLY let Marty live after finding him with her.

You can download it here and theres a walkthru here.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Amorphous Blob posted:

The first game obviously didn't have a sequel in mind when it was made, but the second has a lot of callbacks to it including the spiders and most importantly why Brad assumes the worst that Sticky "talked" to Buddy about sex and why you can't POSSIBLY let Marty live after finding him with her.

You can download it here and theres a walkthru here.

Well, after Sticky's "The world is safe... I made sure of it" comment I'd say Brad was right in assuming the worst.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I feel that's the real tragedy of this game.... Buddy wouldn't have rebelled so hard if it weren't for the rest of Brad's "family" filling her head with lies :smith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Whalley posted:

nah, Birdie turns Terry's Hottest Dance into a game ender, apparently - I just stuck with the overpowered Selfless Brad/Birdie/Nern/Mad Dog for my playthrough (I didn't know this was a common/overpowered team, I just really liked having a guy who talks too much, a boring tank, and a drunk as my party).

I want to replay this and make sure every single party member is dead before the final sequence - do you still have the "fight your old party" battle where everyone cries at you? This might suck though - I want my second playthrough to be Selfish Brad/Carp/Harvey/probably someone lame/underused like RT or Beastborn, and I really like using unpopular guys in games and get bizarrely connected to them.

At the end if everyone else is dead Brad starts screaming to himself while the Rando army is kind of uncomfortable then you fight three blank spaces called Friend? or something like that, they fight like Buckets and similar characters in the end sequence (ie they never tear up and just do a strong attack)

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I'm trying to put together a playlist of all the best tracks in the game, for driving to work and such. What are some of y'alls favorites? I'm quite fond of this one in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwXKL0F9Fg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

this is the best track in the entire game full stop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

• Locked thread