Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

mod sassinator posted:

There's also a much, much higher chance a car or truck smashes into you on the highway tomorrow then a major quake crushes you.

i thank god every day when i get home that i didnt get exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ernie Muppari posted:

i thank god every day when i get home that i didnt get exploded

My grandmother just called that "Being Catholic"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lazy_Liberal posted:

One of my classmates couldn't sleep last night since she's so scared of the big earthquake. :(
Twenty years of this:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one posted:

In Oregon, it has been illegal since 1995 to build hospitals, schools, firehouses, and police stations in the inundation zone, but those which are already in it can stay, and any other new construction is permissible: energy facilities, hotels, retirement homes. In those cases, builders are required only to consult with [Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries] about evacuation plans. “So you come in and sit down,” Ian Madin says. “And I say, ‘That’s a stupid idea.’ And you say, ‘Thanks. Now we’ve consulted.’ ”

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Accretionist posted:

Since they filled in after the fire, isn't half the downtown garbage and Chinese newspaper people?

fixed it for the historical application of chinamen in early Seattle.

colonel_korn posted:

Friendly reminder that death is certain: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

I'm moving to the Seattle area with my girlfriend to start a job in September and she's fuckin freaking out. I've lived on the west coast most of my life so I'm kinda blase about it myself, I guess.

:frogout:

On a serious note I am about 98% sure things will be fine, except for anyone on the Viaduct they will be dead.

On the flipside maybe a terrifying death in a biblical earthquake apocalypse will push away the Californians move to Texas & Colorado instead dammit.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 17, 2015

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Who would willingly live in either of those hell holes though? Too hot on one hand, too cold on the other. Now, why aren't people nice like we are down in California? <-- A loving monster, probably.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

bartkusa posted:

I'll laugh if this megaquake causes Bertha's tunnel to kill more people than the viaduct ever could've.

Assuming the tunnel is ever finished.

And assuming anyone can afford the tolls.

Would you really laugh? That is hosed up.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone
http://projects.oregonlive.com/maps/earthquakes/buildings/

quote:

Structures predating 1974, when Oregon enacted its first statewide building code, would suffer the worst damage in a 9.0-magnitude earthquake. Buildings constructed after 1993, when western Oregon adopted its first seismic standards, are considered the most likely to withstand a severe earthquake. The map shows which buildings in the tri-county area were built in each era. The data from Metro regional government do not reflect potential seismic upgrades or renovations.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

size1one posted:

http://projects.oregonlive.com/maps/earthquakes/buildings/

quote:

The data from Metro regional government do not reflect potential seismic upgrades or renovations.

or anything other than when they were constructed

i refuse to believe that the lovely hipster tenements across the street from me are better suited to ride out a major earthquake than my crappy place considering they're a bunch of stick thin multistory buildings that were built out of almost nothing, and that they've deteriorated more in the 4 years since they were built than my place has in its decades of existence

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Ernie Muppari posted:

i refuse to believe that the lovely hipster tenements across the street from me are better suited to ride out a major earthquake than my crappy place considering they're a bunch of stick thin multistory buildings that were built out of almost nothing, and that they've deteriorated more in the 4 years since they were built than my place has in its decades of existence

I'd make a blind wager that your neighbor's place was designed and manufactured up to California weatherproofing standards i.e. with none. Cheap homes built in the last three years are going to be lousy with mold by the time the next president gets elected.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Ernie Muppari posted:

That doesn't mean anything. Masonry is excellent building material that can last a very long time, but if you give it any sort of ground movement it fail hard.

In other news http://www.nbcnews.com/id/5756809/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/bear-downs-beers-passes-out-campground/#.Vak0hRNVhBc

quote:

Fish and Wildlife enforcement Sgt. Bill Heinck said the bear did try one can of Busch, but ignored the rest. The beast then consumed about 36 cans of Rainier.

Wanna party with that bear.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Irradiation posted:

That doesn't mean anything. Masonry is excellent building material that can last a very long time, but if you give it any sort of ground movement it fail hard.

my place is made of wood

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Jack2142 posted:

On the flipside maybe a terrifying death in a biblical earthquake apocalypse will push away the Californians move to Texas & Colorado instead dammit.
If youre waiting on earthquakes to scare Californians away you are very confused.

Also it would take a literal rampage of an angel with a flaming sword or an alien invasion to get Californians to decide Texas was "the place to go to".

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
thanks to portlandmaps.com (great site) I just learned that my apartment building was built in 1966 rather than the 80s as I had assumed, whoops.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey, cool, my workplace is blue. I assume that's good? When the big one hits, maybe I'll just move in there. It will be a secure base from which I can rule the wastelands.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

FRINGE posted:

If youre waiting on earthquakes to scare Californians away you are very confused.

Also it would take a literal rampage of an angel with a flaming sword or an alien invasion to get Californians to decide Texas was "the place to go to".

Maybe I was hoping they would be fleeing the Earthquakes.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Even though I was the OP for this thread, I've actually been living in Montana for a while.

But now I am "back home" in suburban Clark County.

Its kind of interesting for me, coming from Montana, because Clark County is not exactly a small place: its population of 430,000 people is almost half the entire population of Montana. But its weird that there can be a cultural divide between the exurbs and Portland, even though they are so physically close to each other.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

glowing-fish posted:

But its weird that there can be a cultural divide between the exurbs and Portland, even though they are so physically close to each other.

I've grown up in inner NE/SE and the temp job I worked in Tigard was total culture shock. When I suggested people could visit our other store in Portland I got looks like I'd suggested a vacation in Somalia.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I've grown up in inner NE/SE and the temp job I worked in Tigard was total culture shock. When I suggested people could visit our other store in Portland I got looks like I'd suggested a vacation in Somalia.

What are the cultures like?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Baronjutter posted:

What are the cultures like?

Pretty typical for the region - conservative whites in the suburbs, liberal whites in the city, non-whites getting shoved to and fro by gentrification.

With an added layer of "loving hippies and their urban growth boundary - we need more subdivisions!".

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Thank gently caress, it's not 95 degrees out for the first time in like two weeks

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Abner Cadaver II posted:

And if that is the situation with Tigard, imagine the situation with Yacolt?

I visited Yacolt two days ago, it was interesting, although I don't know if I can make too sharp of a point about it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

glowing-fish posted:

Yacolt ... I don't know if I can make too sharp of a point about it.
Its easiest if you politely name things that they do have.

Yacolt has a stoplight! Also Yacolt has a post office!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Is there a pacific northwest ETF that I can sink an unreasonable amount of money into?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Roki B posted:

Is there a pacific northwest ETF that I can sink an unreasonable amount of money into?
I will do it, I will take your money

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So who is everyone voting for

My state Representative I voted for last time died before the election was won so I get to vote again. Also for one of the Port Commissioner spots we have three lovely choices a libertarian accelerationist, Gregoires daughter and a Marxist Lenninst actually I think that candidate pool sums up Northwest politics in a nutshell.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Jack2142 posted:

My state Representative I voted for last time died before the election was won so I get to vote again. Also for one of the Port Commissioner spots we have three lovely choices a libertarian accelerationist, Gregoires daughter and a Marxist Lenninst actually I think that candidate pool sums up Northwest politics in a nutshell.

Ahh yes, Goodspaceguy. The candidate statements in the King County election booklet are comedy gold, and his wasn't even the worst. (My favorites were the guy who wrote his statement in all caps and called George Washington "North American Hitler", and the former school teacher who blamed the Jews for all the world's problems.)

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jack2142 posted:

So who is everyone voting for

You're in the 30th LD special election? Make sure you and other local folks you know vote for Carol Gregory, it's a very important swing seat going into next year. The legislature might be a frustrating and useless body, but when it's as closely divided as it is now, every Democrat can make a huge difference.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I always vote goodspaceguy.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Flobbster posted:

Ahh yes, Goodspaceguy. The candidate statements in the King County election booklet are comedy gold, and his wasn't even the worst. (My favorites were the guy who wrote his statement in all caps and called George Washington "North American Hitler", and the former school teacher who blamed the Jews for all the world's problems.)

I'm deeply disappointed in Goodspaceguy this cycle. He's running for Port Commission - but we don't even get a crackpot scheme to create the Spaceport of Seattle. All he has to offer is standard wacko-libertarian boilerplate on the evils of a minimum wage and unions.

If he can't even live up to his name, how can he hope to keep his promises? Vote anybody but Goodspaceguy for Port Commission.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Aren't't there like five or more reasonable people running for port position five? I bet most are kicking themselves for not running for position two.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Spaseman posted:

Aren't't there like five or more reasonable people running for port position five? I bet most are kicking themselves for not running for position two.

I am sure most of them didn't want to run against the ex-governors daughter.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I've read that Seattle's developed a number of alleys in recent years. Have any of you observed this amd how it affects local transients? What got me thinking about this is that I walked through an alley today and the alley was beautiful but the homeless were shifty. I can't help but wonder how pop-up bier gartens and rear cafe entrances might affect the hobo distribution.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Accretionist posted:

I've read that Seattle's developed a number of alleys in recent years. Have any of you observed this amd how it affects local transients? What got me thinking about this is that I walked through an alley today and the alley was beautiful but the homeless were shifty. I can't help but wonder how pop-up bier gartens and rear cafe entrances might affect the hobo distribution.

I don't know let me go out and poll the hobos and find out.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I don't know let me go out and poll the hobos and find out.

The homeless are still using the Bell street parklet things with no problem, so, there you go.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

reading posted:

The homeless are still using the Bell street parklet things with no problem, so, there you go.

Yeah but that's a repurposed street. We need poll data from the nitty gritty side.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Turning alleys into sidewalk cafes reminds me of france so by all means keep doing it. As far as transients are concerned, they'll just walk one more block.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My god I keep seeing posts about "THE UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES OF SEATTLE'S $15 AN HOUR WAGE" with basically saying "A pizza shop closed down because they couldn't pay their workers :qq:" (ignore all the other restaurants that opened between the passing of the law and now) and "heh look at this guy who said he wants less hours to keep his welfare!"

But by and large, everything seems alright!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
That pizza joint wasn't paying 15/hr and people drawing conclusions about the change are super premature, hth.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Delta-Wye posted:

That pizza joint wasn't paying 15/hr and people drawing conclusions about the change are super premature, hth.

I think the conclusion that a living wage wouldn't immediately doom Seattle business and cause all the "job creators" to move to Thailand, as per the standard GOP accusation, is pretty well substantiated at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I have to admit I'm impressed by the Greenpeace protesters dangling from the St. John's bridge to protest Arctic drilling.

• Locked thread