Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

The anime is supposed to be a lot better than the manga from what I've heard.

You can't do spontaneous live-action scenes in manga.

Well I guess you could, but it wouldn't flow as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

While it's somewhat of a rote subject, I'd actually be interested to know what everyone in the thread's favorite anime are.

Let's go with our top ten for maximum clickbait points. Order doesn't matter unless you want it to.

Let's see,

FLCL
Kyousougiga
Baccano
Steins;gate
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Tatami Galaxy
Gurren Lagann
Outlaw Star
Ghost in a Shell Stand Alone Complex
Princess Tutu

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm out of beer...poo poo!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

i really liked the dc animated universe stuff as a kid, and then when i tried to get into comics i spent a lot of time going 'hey... wait... unlike the cartoons, this sucks!'
Batman: TAS is the best thing to ever come out of the capes-and-spandex genre, except maybe Kingdom Come.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm still in the first tournament arc where they introduce Krillin.

I'd have made more progress but Hulu sucks for watching anime.

That's a good arc. All the tournament arcs in DB are really great, Toriyama is the master of them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

While it's somewhat of a rote subject, I'd actually be interested to know what everyone in the thread's favorite anime are.

Let's go with our top ten for maximum clickbait points. Order doesn't matter unless you want it to.

Animes
Haibane Renmei:hr:
Madoka Magica
Chihayafuru
Kiki's Delivery Service
Katanagatari
Azumanga Daioh:chiyo:
Perfect Blue
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
Eureka Seven
Kimi ni Todoke

Manga Bonus Round
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Yotsuba&
Paradise Kiss
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
Aoi Hana
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Sasameki Koto
One Punch Man
Bonnouji
Ghost in the Shell

e:
my list changes a lot. other things include Gatchaman:Crowds, LovelyComplex, Paranoia Agent, Gunslinger Girl (first season), FLCL, Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Voices of a Distant Star

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 18, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Someone should message me on steam daily reminding me that I don't like the RTS genre because I always forget and keep loving buying them.

TYIA

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My manga list is significantly shorter than my anime list. It's just Akira and Pluto, because the all the other manga I really like still aren't finished.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I love it because it's Goku taking on an entire army on his own, and winning. It's more badass and over the top than most of Z.

My favorite moment in that arc was when Tao showed up.

Also I always liked how Goku's training in Dragon Ball usually involved him learning some important lessons alongside creative strength training.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 18, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

GorfZaplen posted:

That's a good arc. All the tournament arcs in DB are really great, Toriyama is the master of them.
Tournament arcs are something I used to hate but have come to respect - provided they don't drag on too long.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

What's an anime with a good tournament arc?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

littleorv posted:

chihayafuru

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jojo.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

littleorv posted:

Hakusho, DB (Tenshinhan/Piccolo Jr)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Tournament arcs are something I used to hate but have come to respect - provided they don't drag on too long.

Toriyama's really good at moving the action forward and having lots of good gags and fights and drama in his tournament arcs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I have a feeling Turn A Gundam may join my favorites list by the time I'm done with it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

littleorv posted:

Saint Seiya starts with a tournament arc, where they introduce the guy who strangled 1000 bears as a child, and they punch someone back from the dead. This takes place over like five episodes.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a kitten posted:

chihayafuru

The big tournament in S2 is intense as hell!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

I have a feeling Turn A Gundam may join my favorites list by the time I'm done with it.

yeah that one hovers around my favorites too.

Maybe i should pop in my discs and check out that Syd Mead interview now that i'm reminded of it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ring ni Kakero is one long tournament arc that is really great.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DB is good, unlike DBZ

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm assuming you mean Battle Tendency yes?

Yeah that was epic.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm really torn about Chu, in the English version he's a drunken Australian, but in the Japanese version he's Norio Wakamoto.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

littleorv posted:

I'm assuming you mean Battle Tendency yes?

Yeah that was epic.
Jojo post-Part 2 is technically several tournament arcs stitched together just with plot and a change of scenery from time to time.

I need to go do something but I'll explain what I mean when I get back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Chihayafuru, Kino's Journey, Gurren Lagann, Turn-A Gundam, FMA: Brotherhood, Code Geass, Mushishi, Baccano, Madoka Magica, One Piece.

One Piece is on there mostly for the stuff that I actually cared about back in the day/nostalgia. Gatchaman Crowds has a good chance of replacing it if S2 pans out.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

a kitten posted:

chihayafuru

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think the Chu v Yusuke fight is one of my favorite in all of shonen, possibly anime. It's really loving cool.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

littleorv posted:

Someone should message me on steam daily reminding me that I don't like the RTS genre because I always forget and keep loving buying them.

TYIA

Buy red alert 3, and play it with me

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm impressed that people in this thread are polite and haven't been telling people that their favourite anime is poo poo.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bad Seafood posted:

Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Mushishi
Kino's Journey
Melody of Oblivion
Fruits Basket
Hyouka
The gestalt Akiyuki Shinbou experience
Eve no Jikan
Honey & Clover

Honorable mentions because I'm a baby who can't limit myself: Aria, Big-O, Clannad, Humanity Has Declined, Kokoro Connect, Mononoke, Princess Tutu, Shigofumi, Windy Tales

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 18, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
G Gundam was a tournament arc yeah? I never saw the whole thing but what I saw was good

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Buy red alert 3, and play it with me

No. I've been playing Company of Heroes 2 and it's fine I guess. Not my thing though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wakamoto played a lot of drunk people in the 90s. Chu, Taisou, the drunk shogun from Might Gaine...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Might Gaine is honestly kind of a bad robot show, but Norio Wakamoto playing a constantly drunk shogun who wants to bring about the rebirth of Imperial Japan through giant robots and bombs is a really memorable part of it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Chihayafuru has a good everything arc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

G Gundam was a tournament arc yeah? I never saw the whole thing but what I saw was good

it eventually stops being a tournament arc, which is around when it gets bad. but hey the tournament being good is what counts!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

hosed up fact: even though I've watched it three times and Imagawa is one of my favorite directors, I've never finished G Gundam.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'll probably finish the 99 episode Mister Ajikko before I finish G Gundam.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I bet some crazy motherfucker will sub Wasimo, before I finish G Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

aside from Sekiha Love Love Tenkyouken i don't think there's anything memorable or interesting about the space episodes/final stretch

• Locked thread