Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tercio posted:

I would rather one dangerous religious/cultural revolt every five years over six quixotic religious/cultural revolts every twelve months.

Up to my 23 sunni revolt in Khazaria. You figure these bands of 100 men would work together to form a larger threat.

Those tiny rear end revolts are a great way to farm prestige/piety at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Ugh, why not just double the time of the "recently burned" modifier instead? Having to babysit the areas you are razing is boring as hell, I wish there was a way of automating it.

Why not a checkbox or start pillaging and stop pillaging buttons and have it tick off every three months or so?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
They really need to add a "kill entire family and culture" or something for playing as the mongols, it's absolutely awful to have to squash stupid little rebellions from dumbass Persians who are willing to send stacks of 100 guys like ants all over useless steppe. For some reason occupying nowherestan is 5% WS for the rebels, but capturing the capital and squashing all the stacks is only about ~20%.

This expansion really highlights the annoying, bad parts of CK2 war system. It's just so drat tedious to conquer all this poo poo. It's tedious to pillage holdings, it's tedious to stop independence revolts, it's tedious to give out land you conquered. The hard part of getting Khan of Khans isn't the strategy or planning in being able to keep up the invasion, it's if you're willing to chase 100 man stacks around the entire game world in at most 3x speed, because any faster and your stacks may die to attrition without you noticing or you may suicide them into the enemy while you were trying to move.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 17, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Hordes can get 100% HA if they can afford it. Haven't tested how effective it is, though.
Ah did not know that, don't have the DLC. Not having any LC mixed in would greatly improve pure HA, and so yeah, probably go with those.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

They really need to add a "kill entire family and culture" or something for playing as the mongols, it's absolutely awful to have to squash stupid little rebellions from dumbass Persians who are willing to send stacks of 100 guys like ants all over useless steppe. For some reason occupying nowherestan is 5% WS for the rebels, but capturing the capital and squashing all the stacks is only about ~20%.

This expansion really highlights the annoying, bad parts of CK2 war system. It's just so drat tedious to conquer all this poo poo. It's tedious to pillage holdings, it's tedious to stop independence revolts, it's tedious to give out land you conquered. The hard part of getting Khan of Khans isn't the strategy or planning in being able to keep up the invasion, it's if you're willing to chase 100 man stacks around the entire game world in at most 3x speed, because any faster and your stacks may die to attrition without you noticing or you may suicide them into the enemy while you were trying to move.

I would very much like a hunt rebels button for my armies like in other paradox games. Is that possible to implement in CK2 at all?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Automate province pillaging if you're gonna make me click twice as much imo. It's already tedious when you reform your faith and a Great Holy War gets called and now you've got the entirety of Hungary to burn down.

Also 'give title + all titles under it' doesn't seem to work for nomads... I created a kingdom (khanate), gave it to a new clan I just split off, but then still had to manually give him the provinces one by one. Same for duchies; it'll give the duchy but not the provinces regardless of whether the 'all titles under' box is checked or not.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, the game I've got going right now is basically my first game since Way of Life came out, and are people saying that the seduction rates got nerfed compared to what was going on when it first came out? Because my current character is on his third wife right now, the first two having been divorced due to unfaithfulness. My character is also still 16. My previous character also went through about four wives before he found one that wasn't loving someone else behind his back - as far as he knew, anyway. This is nuts.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone know which file decides what causes the catholic holy orders to spawn?

I'm trying to make a mod that makes it so the Templar ect. don't all just spawn at once as soon as the crusades start and instead spawn more naturally at different times (Templar when catholics control Jerusalem for example).

I looked in landed_titles.txt but couldn't find any conditions for when they spawn.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The Catholic holy orders have their activations events in events/religious_events.txt, so you can tweak the conditions there to stagger their formation or tweak conditions or whatnot.

vvvv: whoops, don't forget those ones too. Thanks, Morgenstern.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 18, 2015

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Does anyone know which file decides what causes the catholic holy orders to spawn?

I'm trying to make a mod that makes it so the Templar ect. don't all just spawn at once as soon as the crusades start and instead spawn more naturally at different times (Templar when catholics control Jerusalem for example).

I looked in landed_titles.txt but couldn't find any conditions for when they spawn.

You want religious_events.txt for the base game Holy Orders, and soa_holy_order_events.txt for the Sons of Abraham holy orders.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

The Catholic holy orders have their activations events in events/religious_events.txt, so you can tweak the conditions there to stagger their formation or tweak conditions or whatnot.

Thanks!

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The Sunni Caliphate has disappeared entirely in my game. Is this a bug caused by the new patch? I haven't gotten Horse Lords yet.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

They really need to add a "kill entire family and culture" or something for playing as the mongols, it's absolutely awful to have to squash stupid little rebellions from dumbass Persians who are willing to send stacks of 100 guys like ants all over useless steppe.

If you destroy all the holdings in a province it automatically converts to your culture and religion so all you have to do is park your horde in the area you want to pillage to swat down the rebels and then slowly burn everything to the ground.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Whats a good way to deal with Heavy Cavalry as a nomad? Some of the guys I'm attacking now have 1500 Heavy Cavalry in their stacks and it's absolutely tearing my guys apart.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

cock hero flux posted:

If you destroy all the holdings in a province it automatically converts to your culture and religion so all you have to do is park your horde in the area you want to pillage to swat down the rebels and then slowly burn everything to the ground.

Yeah but that requires you to sit there and spam click babysit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I just spent 3 years sieging down every holding in Byzantium from Damascus to Thrace, and some little poo poo suddenly presses his claim on the Byzantium Throne, which cancels my entire invasion. That is some bullshit right there, let me tell you.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Losing a Nomad title to another clan on an Ironman run and having that clan immediately settle, causing your borders to look like poo poo and giving you back a horde which now demands that you split your clan and give up 9 of your remaining provinces has to be one of the most gigantic gently caress yous I've ever seen in this game.

Then I tried to take back some of my lands with a subordination CB and tried to call in Seljuks and Ghaznavids as allies. The other guy isn't even allied to them, but it looks like both of them just decided to join his side in the subordination war. Is this because of the "nearby Sunnis may ask to join his war" thing? If so, that's utter bullshit because I'm Sunni too.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Is no one else but me keeping a lot of vassals as a Nomad? I see a lot of complain about the bothersomeness of having to pillage everything. The thing is I'm so often far away from my max pop cap and swimming in gold, with the current beta patch still, that it's even better for me to create vassals out of some temples and city for even more sweet sweet money, since they automatically give out max cash. Also it has the added bonus of slowing down conquest against your lands if the AI decides to invade, on top of them providing some troop fodder for you, while I'm off pillaging lands easier to integrate (like the steppes/tribal lands).

So the end results is that I'm tearing down the forts (since I prefer an empty land for the pop and having my own troops than max vassal levy) and keeping some of the cities/temples. IF I ever reach pop cap, it's really just a matter of revoking a city/temple, which they almost never refuse. So far, my temple/city income is very close to equal my nomadic taxe income.

/edit Also, using the "create vassal" option makes them your culture/religion, which helps a lot if you started as a Mongol/Tengri in the early years, which let me tell you are few on the map.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 18, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

Has anyone worked out what the optimal splits between light cavalry/horse archers are for your hordes?

lurksion posted:

100% light cavalry.

They're one of the better retinue types on a strength/cost basis that are consistently overlooked. I considered them stronger than the HA retinue even before the recent nerfs (because HA retinues are half LC, their tactics selection gets muddied, whereas LC retinues are all LC and so always get their tactics bonus applied). Now with the HA nerf, no question about it.
I take this back now, revisiting the calculations. I apparently never noticed that they seriously nerfed light cavalry (33% damage decrease in melee, 50% cost increase) in some patch I'm not aware of (and 25% reduction in skirmish damage this patch!). They're still better than the normal HA retinues, but they're decidedly mid-tier now. They are remarkably consistent between skirmish and melee though, doing nearly the same amount of damage in both phases! Jack of all trades.

Anyway, since I'm told you can go pure HA as a nomad...do that.
Actually if they let you go pure HC as a nomad...do that instead.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 18, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anonononomous posted:

Is there any good way to not be invaded by the Byzantines in a Venice game? I somehow did it in my last one, but that got broken and on my current attempt the emperor declares war on me before I've even gained another county.

You're almost certainly going to be invaded at some point because Venice is de jure part of the Byzantine empire - the trick is really just having a large enough defensive force that they can't actually capture you. Venice is insanely easy to defend - as a one county island any attackers will have to come it at 50% morale with a big "attacking from sea" combat penalty on top of that, and the AI is pretty bad at naval campaigns so it's very unlikely to hit you with its full force all at once.

Basically you won't be able to stop them from attacking you, but you should be able to wait out their invasion without much trouble.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know why I didn't get Constantinople when I invaded the Byzantines? I sieged absolutely everything, but even though I got all the secondary holdings, I didn't get the main county for either Constantinople itself, nor for Thrace.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You're almost certainly going to be invaded at some point because Venice is de jure part of the Byzantine empire - the trick is really just having a large enough defensive force that they can't actually capture you. Venice is insanely easy to defend - as a one county island any attackers will have to come it at 50% morale with a big "attacking from sea" combat penalty on top of that, and the AI is pretty bad at naval campaigns so it's very unlikely to hit you with its full force all at once.

Basically you won't be able to stop them from attacking you, but you should be able to wait out their invasion without much trouble.

I won't even touch the Byzantines because of that. I hate putting 2.4k good troops on boats while wrangling allies and trying to arrange my troops. When I play games with island vassals I just make sure their happy so I don't have to dick around and transport thousands of troops to some bum gently caress Island

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hargh, lord. The 'Overthrow Khan' faction will act when it gets to a strength of 50%. This makes it relatively easy to defeat, but also very annoying.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Why is Venice part of de jure ERE?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shadeoses posted:

Why is Venice part of de jure ERE?

It was for a long time the ERE's (incredibly autonomous) westermost outpost. It was recognized as being ERE territory up until roughly the 9th-10th century, but really the Venetians were running their own show with the occasional lip service to whatever chucklefuck found himself in charge in Constantinople.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Just went up against this dude in a holy war for one of my duchies.

He was absolutely unstoppable, even when outnumbered 2 to 1. I'm loving the way combat works now.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, this time they had a boat full of dudes just waiting. And I'm so early that I could muster like 200 people.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Groogy posted:

Otherwise tell Steam to delete your content, then go manually to the folder as well and delete if anything is left behind and then redownload the game.
Yeah this fixed it. I assume it was a mod I had forgotten to remove before I bought the pack.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Uh oh. It appears that after getting the beta patch, I can no longer join zoroastrian great holy wars for some reason.

edit: And then I could again, later. Odd...

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 18, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is attrition bugged? I've had to split the horde as 20k in one province doesn't always work. But now I have an 11k and an 9k unit and they move into a province and bam supply goes from

Nvm I just realized it was winter... man political map mode in the steppes is dangerous when ur not used to caring about seasons.

RIP HORSE GUYS I'll never get above 20k at this rate. I'd be like at least 50k deep in soldiers if I just remembered the goddamn winter. Gonna need more fur maker buildings I guess

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also forgetting your max reinforcing horde and your down 400 prestige because -50 a month is unstoppable

e: I need to get these faction wars to pop then disband most of my prestige troops and fill them back up with gold based troops. Tributary wars are so easy to win I have way to much gold most of the time

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

It was for a long time the ERE's (incredibly autonomous) westermost outpost. It was recognized as being ERE territory up until roughly the 9th-10th century, but really the Venetians were running their own show with the occasional lip service to whatever chucklefuck found himself in charge in Constantinople.

Also just in gameplay terms it's a nice way to keep Byzantium and Venice from getting too chummy; with ERE backing it would be trivial for Venice to run roughshod over the whole Adriatic.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

DStecks posted:

Also just in gameplay terms it's a nice way to keep Byzantium and Venice from getting too chummy; with ERE backing it would be trivial for Venice to run roughshod over the whole Adriatic.
But right now they're essentially always gobbled up after a decade or so.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Along with Genoa/HRE at the 1066 start. I very rarely see both survive.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

I'm thinking of trying to continue my game as a vassal of Byzantium and rebelling later. How viable would that be?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Anonononomous posted:

I'm thinking of trying to continue my game as a vassal of Byzantium and rebelling later. How viable would that be?
Very. Taking over from the inside is a powerful strategy.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Strudel Man posted:

Very. Taking over from the inside is a powerful strategy.

It is basically my go to strategy for forming Rome. Start as the Tulunids, convert to Miaphysite, holy war that half of Cyprus, Marry the Basi's first daughter, enjoy setting up to put your dynasty on the throne.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
West India is quite nice grazing lands now, very lucrative. The transition was a pain in the rear end, however.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So if Manicheanism has already replaced Zoroastrianism as the primary faith, and Zoroastrianism exists only as a heresy now, is there any way my Khagan can convert to Zoroastrianism?

Haha, the Abassids just declared a holy war on me. :getin: now I just get to march doomstacks around my own territory not worrying about supply and bleed those fuckers dry, ripening them up for my own declaration of war as soon as they surrender.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

So if Manicheanism has already replaced Zoroastrianism as the primary faith, and Zoroastrianism exists only as a heresy now, is there any way my Khagan can convert to Zoroastrianism?

Haven't had to do this myself for a while, but as far as I remember you'll need to convert to Manicheanism first, then be converted to the Zoroastrinism heresy by the Zoroastrinism version of a bishop researching cultural tech.

• Locked thread