Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I just started using a Charge HR and my only complaint is that it's been a bitch to get it to sync with my phone. For some reason it just stops syncing randomly and even rebooting the phone won't fix it. You can reset the fitbit, but it requires having the charging cable (which is at home).

As for heart rate, mine seems to be spot on compared to both manual measurement as well as my Garmin HRM strap and Edge 510. My S6's HRM is also in line with the Charge HR's measurements. I'm pretty doughy and you definitely can't see my veins. Hell, I needed to get an IV once and the nurse gave up and told me to go drink some Gatorade after stabbing me in two different spots in each arm.

The other annoying thing is that the step/floor counter is wildly inaccurate if you drive or bike any significant distance. I rode (bicycle) 25 miles yesterday and it went from 0 floors climbed and like 1500 steps to 11000 steps and 52 floors climbed. Not that it *really* matters in the grand scheme of things, as I mostly bought the thing to monitor heart rate and calorie burn on a long term basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I can't seem to get my Gear 2 Neo to be "seen" by Runkeeper. I kind of assumed that it could integrate the HR and step counting functions into the normal exercise stuff, but it doesn't show up.

Works fine with S-Health though lol.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Considering getting some kind of fitness band. Looking to track runs/cycling/sleep. Stair-climbing and sleep cycle alarms are a big bonus. Don't care about phone notifications but being able to double as a watch would be nice. Looks like the options are the Jawbone which is subject to fall-apart and the Fitbit Charge which requires uploading your soul to their servers?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Milkman posted:

Considering getting some kind of fitness band. Looking to track runs/cycling/sleep. Stair-climbing and sleep cycle alarms are a big bonus. Don't care about phone notifications but being able to double as a watch would be nice. Looks like the options are the Jawbone which is subject to fall-apart and the Fitbit Charge which requires uploading your soul to their servers?

For my money, the Charge is the better choice.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thermopyle posted:

For my money, the Charge is the better choice.

Get the Charge HR, even if you don't need HR it has a better clasp and it's only a $20 price difference.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

Get the Charge HR, even if you don't need HR it has a better clasp and it's only a $20 price difference.

Yeah, this is what I meant.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Picked up the Charge HR, got $22 off between Target Cartwheel and gf's Redcard discounts. Haven't worn wrist adornments regularly since middle school so it'll take some getting used to, but it's not too bad. One thing I wish it had is the thing where it yells at you for sitting too long, as a computer boy it would be very useful.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

The Milkman posted:

Picked up the Charge HR, got $22 off between Target Cartwheel and gf's Redcard discounts. Haven't worn wrist adornments regularly since middle school so it'll take some getting used to, but it's not too bad. One thing I wish it had is the thing where it yells at you for sitting too long, as a computer boy it would be very useful.

The "Stand Up!!!!!!!" alert on the Apple Watch is surprisingly useful at work for reminding me that I've been at my desk for awhile.

Anyone else with the Charge HR notice that it shows the time now when you raise your wrist in the "check time" position? Just noticed it over the past week or so

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Won't be the same since it won't be "smart" about it, but as a simple workaround you could just set some hourly reminder/calendar event to stand.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fiki posted:

The "Stand Up!!!!!!!" alert on the Apple Watch is surprisingly useful at work for reminding me that I've been at my desk for awhile.

Anyone else with the Charge HR notice that it shows the time now when you raise your wrist in the "check time" position? Just noticed it over the past week or so

Hmm, not here, though it might not have the latest firmware. Double-tapping it brings up a display item of your choice.

e: you're right, they just added it: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/What-has-changed-in-the-latest-tracker-update

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 8, 2015

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I'm still trying to think of fun things to do with my Gear 2 Neo.

It was so cheap I'm fine with it just being a fancy watch that I can check an email notification on, but it'd be cool if I could do something unique or fun with it.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Almost a year after pre-ordering it, my Kapture has arrived. Annnnnd the app just won't show up in the Google Play store for me so I can't use the thing.

Also I have totally lost the charger for my Up24.

Wearable frustration central.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It's been 3 days and this charge already managed to get two gouges in the screen somehow, seemingly overnight. What a piece of poo poo. Think I'll return it and try a garmin

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The Milkman posted:

It's been 3 days and this charge already managed to get two gouges in the screen somehow, seemingly overnight. What a piece of poo poo. Think I'll return it and try a garmin

why would they let you return a scratched watch? :X

spend 10 bucks and get a screen protector

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Milkman posted:

Going on 9 months with mine and nary a scratch. Your watch isn't a piece of poo poo, you are a lovely watch owner who doesn't take care of your things.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Abroad for a couple months and having left my Garmin Forerunner & Charge HR back in London, I figured I'd get a cheap Apple Nano to tide me over.

I ended up getting a Sony B-Trainer which is an odd piece of kit. It's a wrap-around Bluetooth earpiece with built-in GPS, HRM (thru contact with the ear canal), gyro/compass based pedometer, and 16gb of storage for music. You can use it standalone or paired with Sony's smartphone app which is a typical fitness app.

I've been pleasantly surprised by it. GPS lock-on is fuss-free and more surprisingly, the HRM function works a lot better than the Charge HR style of wrist-based HRM. Battery life isn't great but it'll do for anything up to a marathon. Oh and it looks bulky on stock photos but I don't find it cumbersome.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Should I just quit even wearing my Charge HR while cycling? I want to log HR data since that's what this thing does, but the software side is kind of a mess.

The Fitbit app can track walking/running/hiking, but there's not option for cycling. So, instead I've tried Strava or Runkeeper linked to Fitbit. Both of those work well on their own, but when interacting with the Fitbit platform, they do the same thing: time, distance and calorie estimates are shared into Fitbit and Fitbit overlays HR data but doesn't delete the bogus random steps and stairs it counted during the time when I was on a bike. A few miles on the bike makes the step and stair count in Fitbit a total joke for the rest of the day and worthless for comparing long-term data.

It would be cool to see heartrate charted against elevation or speed in Strava, but Fitbit won't let HR data out of their own ecosystem, and trying to eyeball graphs between two different apps sucks and it seems like a cheststrap is the only option unless Fitbit suddenly decides to let me use my data the way I want to.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My Kapture arrived yesterday, miraculously they had faceplates the same mint green as my Pebble decal. With one on either wrist, they are color coordinated turbo nerd gauntlets.

Bullbar posted:

Almost a year after pre-ordering it, my Kapture has arrived. Annnnnd the app just won't show up in the Google Play store for me so I can't use the thing.

They have the app up on their website.

Manky fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 7, 2015

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'm going to be traveling around New Zealand for a couple weeks. I really hate taking photos, but I do want to capture the trip.

It occurred to me that having a video camera I could wear on a lanyard around my neck that was just on, recording stuff while I walk around, might be cool.

Any recommendations for cameras like that? I'd like something that can record for a few hours before I have to move the video to my computer.

If not that, anything similar that takes still images every 10-20 seconds?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Malloreon posted:

I'm going to be traveling around New Zealand for a couple weeks. I really hate taking photos, but I do want to capture the trip.

It occurred to me that having a video camera I could wear on a lanyard around my neck that was just on, recording stuff while I walk around, might be cool.

Any recommendations for cameras like that? I'd like something that can record for a few hours before I have to move the video to my computer.

A GoPro would probably work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Super Dude posted:

A GoPro would probably work.

We bought an SJ4000 (a surprisingly decent GoPro clone) to take the the pool. I threaded a key ring through the waterproof box mount and hooked a lanyard on that for carrying. Using it hanging like that, all photos and videos would be upside down and the lanyard makes a ton of noise in video.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Look into life logging cameras. I don't know anything about them but I've seen them pop up on the radar a few times over the past few years.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Samsung Gear S 2 is now official:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/31/samsung-gear-s2-tizen-rotating-bezel-official/

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

What do you all think? Is this the device that gets developers on the tizen train? Or no AW and limited phone support (guessing like the other gears, will only work with certain Samsung phones) make it a non starter?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vintimus Prime posted:

What do you all think? Is this the device that gets developers on the tizen train? Or no AW and limited phone support (guessing like the other gears, will only work with certain Samsung phones) make it a non starter?

I think that Samsung has enough marketing power / name recognition to sell a few units, especially since they have signed deals to get it into Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and US Cellular stores. However, I don't think developers will get on the Tizen train, no. So Samsung will need to make the case for whatever functionality they have included standard.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I'm really surprised Samsung hasn't gotten an SDK going to get apps ported to Tizen. I can see why they would use it for the S2, but it's going to have limited appeal because of that.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vintimus Prime posted:

I'm really surprised Samsung hasn't gotten an SDK going to get apps ported to Tizen. I can see why they would use it for the S2, but it's going to have limited appeal because of that.

https://developer.tizen.org/ ?

There just isn't much of anything to motivate developers (the same problem Blackberry OS had).

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

eddiewalker posted:

Should I just quit even wearing my Charge HR while cycling? I want to log HR data since that's what this thing does, but the software side is kind of a mess.

The Fitbit app can track walking/running/hiking, but there's not option for cycling... A few miles on the bike makes the step and stair count in Fitbit a total joke for the rest of the day and worthless for comparing long-term data.

I know you posted this over a month ago but in case anyone else has this problem...

You have to manually log biking in the Fitbit web dashboard (fitbit.com -> click Log tab -> click Activity -> Scroll down). You have to hunt a bit but you can find it. If you log the time-frame you're biking, it will automatically adjust your steps and stair count. It will not do this automatically, but no amount of software is going to be able to do that - at it's heart it's just a pedometer and will be fooled by any number of physical activities.

I have to take mine off before I brush my teeth because otherwise it logs a hundred or so incorrect steps.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Cop gay. So What posted:

I know you posted this over a month ago but in case anyone else has this problem...

You have to manually log biking in the Fitbit web dashboard (fitbit.com -> click Log tab -> click Activity -> Scroll down). You have to hunt a bit but you can find it. If you log the time-frame you're biking, it will automatically adjust your steps and stair count. It will not do this automatically, but no amount of software is going to be able to do that - at it's heart it's just a pedometer and will be fooled by any number of physical activities.

I have to take mine off before I brush my teeth because otherwise it logs a hundred or so incorrect steps.
The fitbit isn't accurate enough for 100 steps to matter.

Heck even if it was perfectly accurate, 100 steps isn't going to matter.

Unless you're only walking like 200 steps a day, it's already logging (or not logging when it should) hundreds of Inaccurate steps daily if you're getting 5k+ steps daily.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thermopyle posted:

The fitbit isn't accurate enough for 100 steps to matter.

Heck even if it was perfectly accurate, 100 steps isn't going to matter.

Unless you're only walking like 200 steps a day, it's already logging (or not logging when it should) hundreds of Inaccurate steps daily if you're getting 5k+ steps daily.

It's not 100 steps. It's more like a bike ride counting for 8000 steps and 200 floors.

I gave up and started considering steps as "effort points." I wear the ChargeHR while GPS logging my ride with Strava. Most things sync ok and my numbers seem like a fair estimation of activity.

Hopefully Fitbit will eventually let Strava have my heart rate data so I can see it plotted against more interesting charts.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

It's not 100 steps.

I'm not sure what you mean...

Cop gay. So What posted:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I just try to minimize the incorrect number of steps. :shrug:

I get a lot of incorrect steps from driving but I'm in and out of cars up to 16 hours a day and it would be impossible to log all that with fitbit so I, too, just view the steps as a measurement of my activity and not actual steps.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure what you mean...

eddiewalker bikes with his on, cop gay so what brushes his teeth. The first logs more than 100, the second doesn't.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Malloreon posted:

To bring this up, though it's too late for Malloreon, the narrative clip 2 could be pretty good for this, it can take those still images but they just announced it will be able to do 1080p videos as well now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

eddiewalker bikes with his on, cop gay so what brushes his teeth. The first logs more than 100, the second doesn't.

Well yes, I'm not sure what that has to do with my post though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thermopyle posted:

Well yes, I'm not sure what that has to do with my post though.

I misread yours, but considering no problems from the conversation remain without solutions I'll just say oops and leave the last up as evidence toward my idiocy.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

https://developer.tizen.org/ ?

There just isn't much of anything to motivate developers (the same problem Blackberry OS had).

Well, I may have to take it back.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/3/9252787/samsung-gear-s-2-watch-video-hands-on

Samsung saying the Gear S 2 will launch with 1,000 apps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big thing is the S2 isn't tied to Samsung phones anymore. It works on all Android phones.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm sure they're focused on quantity over quality there with those 1000 apps.

Developing for Tizen looks like a world of pain so I don't know why anyone would touch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

It actually doesn't look too bad. If the app support is solid, they might just have a hit. Bringing the wall down for additional android device support is huge.