Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

So around the time Araki was getting ready to make the jump from Part 2 to Part 3, tournament arcs experienced a huge surge in popularity in shounen publications. Araki (and probably his editors) deemed it a vein worth tapping in to, but Araki had some concerns with the typical tournament arc structure, which he refers to in interviews as the "Pyramid" structure: A and B fight, A wins, goes on to challenge C who is stronger than B, repeat. Feeling this model was limited, Araki instead devised a "Boardgame" structure in which the heroes would go around fighting various bad guys who posed specific threats tailored to the set pieces they found themselves inhabiting. Thus, Part 3 is really a tournament arc in disguise. Thereafter of course Jojo retained its newfound focus on compartmentalized fights, perpetuating its own brand of tournament derivative over the next several decades.

It's a subject Araki's addressed in various interviews, before anyone jumps in with Araki Said.™

Wow that's very interesting. Thanks for going into it Terrible Fishfood.

Edit: I'm not being sarcastic btw even though it might come across that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Seriously tho what is my avatar.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

WickedHate posted:

it's a Gintama character but i don't know who

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Mead was asked by Tomino specifically to do the Turn A design and was a fan of gundam to begin with, he had done art of it before.

It's actually cool because to come up wioth the sumo which is his original draft for the turn a he took turns sketching and deconstructing the main iconic gundams of the universal century and taking notes on all of them before coming up with his version.

I like the Mead interview here he describes coming up with the final touches on the Turn X, which involved walking around naked in front of his hotel room window.

quote:

TURN-X

I had been sketching the intricate idea components of this last robotic character, TURN-X, on the plane from Los Angeles to Narita on one of the last ‘GUNDAM’ trips to Japan. As a ‘thank you’ to the Sunrise team, we were favored with an ‘end of creative phase’ to a weekend at a ryokan on the Izu peninsula. I was given the ‘western style’ suite.’ After an incredible kaiseki dinner the previous evening ending with a hot dip in the bath with some of the designers, I retired to my room well fed and feeling fabulous.

This ‘reward’ trip was during sakura. I woke up the next morning and opened the windows of my room, stark naked and looking at an entire mountainside covered with a cascade of pink! What an incredible sight! I was suddenly inspired and, still totally naked, grabbed paper and ink pen from my briefcase and in about an hour finalized the design idea for the TURN-X robot! Then, after showering, dressing and packing for the return trip to Tokyo (with a stop in Shisioka…spelling? to tour the Bandai action figure factory and meet the staff there) I joined the rest of the company for breakfast and showed them the sketches of the TURN-X robot. They were overwhelmingly approving in their opinion, and with further detail refinement after I returned to Los Angeles, THAT was the final design for TURN-X.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

littleorv posted:

Wow that's very interesting. Thanks for going into it Terrible Fishfood.

Edit: I'm not being sarcastic btw even though it might come across that way.
We cool man, don't sweat it.

Could probably do with a little more sarcasm in my life, what with Jojo being one of the multiple subjects I sperg out about on a regular basis.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

WickedHate posted:

That's Zura Katsura. He's one of my favourite characters.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

littleorv posted:

That's Zura Katsura. He's one of my favourite characters.

dogsicle posted:

it's a Gintama character but i don't know who

I don't know who that is and I don't watch Gintama but thank you regardless. It is an avatar and I will wear it proudly.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

WickedHate posted:

http://youtu.be/VpkErpjbAPM

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

i'm glad other people read Tetsugaku Letra. with how slow scans can be it always seemed super lowkey to me

maybe i should read the manga threads more often

I think I've only ever seen one other person post about it. It was possibly you!

I think they were still working on Volume 3 when I picked it up, feels like it's taken forever to get this far.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

So does Chihayafuru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfMqnXB_08&list=PLbaPMFthaxm1_FjZMr4OZKiBj4tlFRxHk&index=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnAsHdYEOBE&list=PLbaPMFthaxm1_FjZMr4OZKiBj4tlFRxHk&index=11

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bad Seafood posted:

While it's somewhat of a rote subject, I'd actually be interested to know what everyone in the thread's favorite anime are.

Let's go with our top ten for maximum clickbait points. Order doesn't matter unless you want it to.

Gundam Reconguista in G
Girls und Panzer
Yowamushi Pedal
Macross 7
Gundam 0080
Kemonozume
Time of Eve
Turn A Gundam
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
FLCL

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm done with Ouran. Now it's time for Ping Pong.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

Gundam Reconguista in G
Girls und Panzer

Wait, seriously?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

WickedHate posted:

Wait, seriously?

This is a judgment-free safe space.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

Wait, seriously?

I was genuinely blown away by Reconguista, it's one of the best TV shows, animated or not, that I've ever seen

Girls und Panzer is just totally fun

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Wait, seriously?

I could do the same to your list

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

While it's somewhat of a rote subject, I'd actually be interested to know what everyone in the thread's favorite anime are.

Let's go with our top ten for maximum clickbait points. Order doesn't matter unless you want it to.

Not getting into movies (Ghibli/Kon/Yuasa would make this terribly difficult) or OVAs (this lets me break the 3-way tie between FLCL and the last two on the list), and only the first three being ranked:
  1. Utena
  2. Madoka
  3. Gurren Lagann
  • Cardcaptor Sakura
  • Kaiba
  • Mushishi
  • Shirobako
  • Chihayafuru
  • Hikaru no Go
  • Katanagatari

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

I'm impressed that people in this thread are polite and haven't been telling people that their favourite anime is poo poo.

whoops

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

littleorv posted:

I could do the same to your list

Elaborate.

boom boom boom posted:

I was genuinely blown away by Reconguista, it's one of the best TV shows, animated or not, that I've ever seen

Girls und Panzer is just totally fun

I can't process this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here is an introduction to gintama's characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0k3WqEwUTE

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If Girls Und Panzer is good enough for Smoking Crow it should be good enough for anybody.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

WickedHate posted:

Elaborate.

For example, your love of Digimon Frontier is completely anathema to the Digimon thread on this very sub forum, who would have you believe is the great Satan for how badly it misuses its cast and fumbles its story.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Strange Quark posted:

For example, your love of Digimon Frontier is completely anathema to the Digimon thread on this very sub forum, who would have you believe is the great Satan for how badly it misuses its cast and fumbles its story.

I ulitmately decided to edit that out because I decided something I couldn't remember in great detail beyond loving it as a kid shouldn't be on the list. But I'd still say it's the best Digimon.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Elaborate.

The Persona 4 anime is mediocre and I say that as someone who really loves the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people can have different opinions, wickedhate

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not to mention it's a 'favorite anime' list not an 'objectively best anime ever made' list. it's not like you can factually prove that boom boom boom didn't enjoy girls und panzer more than most anime he's seen.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I can't process this.

beep boop

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Persona 4 ranks among the almost-uppermost echelon of my favorite games but the anime is pretty bad in my opinion.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Endorph posted:

not to mention it's a 'favorite anime' list not an 'objectively best anime ever made' list.
Endorph dropping wisdom in this thread.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

people can have different opinions, wickedhate

Endorph posted:

not to mention it's a 'favorite anime' list not an 'objectively best anime ever made' list. it's not like you can factually prove that boom boom boom didn't enjoy girls und panzer more than most anime he's seen.

I get it, I get it, it's just unexpected. Whatever people enjoy, I'm happy for them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

persona 4 was one of my favorite games but then it just didn't go away and i got kind of worn out on its cast

its still really good and i like a lot of things about it but it wouldn't crack a top 10 for me, even if we're exclusively talking PS2 JRPGs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Really hoping Atlus doesn't milk the P5 crew.

I mean they probably will, but I'm still holding out for hope.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

persona 4 was one of my favorite games but then it just didn't go away and i got kind of worn out on its cast

its still really good and i like a lot of things about it but it wouldn't crack a top 10 for me, even if we're exclusively talking PS2 JRPGs.

I thought hating P4 was your gimmick?

Well at least in the Vita thread. (My gimmick is being terrible)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My gimmick is forever hoping they'll make another Raidou Kuzunoha game.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

I can't process this.

Girls und Panzer is just a lot of fun. It's got girls who have tank battles and even some fun musical moments. it never gets dark or overly dramatic. I think it's like why other people like K-on, only K-on doesn't have tank combat.

Reconguista in G has a good story and great characters, and it's all told in a way that's really subtle and requires your attention. When was the last time you watched an anime where characters didn't just say what they were thinking or feeling? And it's got great robots and fun, inventive fights, and the world is really well done. And all those aspects, setting, characters, story, action, all work together seamlessly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

I thought hating P4 was your gimmick?

Well at least in the Vita thread. (My gimmick is being terrible)
i have many gimmicks, all of them extremely powerful

for real though i dont hate p4, i just make fun of it 'cause the vita thread has a weird cult around it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Even if Trauma Center is dead, I'll support whatever reliable source of income Atlus needs to keep making good Etrian Odyssey games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

for real though i dont hate p4, i just make fun of it 'cause the vita thread has a weird cult around it

well now there are people who apparently seriously like neptunia in there, so I'm awaiting the day that somebody earnestly argues that a compile heart/idea factory game is "not anime"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

neptunia is okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Motto posted:

well now there are people who apparently seriously like neptunia now, so I'm awaiting the day that somebody earnestly argues that a compile heart/idea factory game is "not anime"

The neptunia game someone in here gave me is pretty cool and fun to play. Neptunia is win now.

• Locked thread