Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'll do a new game where I do it correctly, there looked like there were 3 save slots.

I just found your reasoning curious is all. Sure, teenagers gently caress up constantly, but wouldn't you use this power to do and say things you would normally never do if you knew you could simply rewind any time something goes wrong? I'd have a permanent nosebleed; like a walking, talking, eternally broken dam.

I just love how red my blood is... and my previously white shirt now that it's drenched in life juice. God, I am such a weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
This is probably a stupid theory, but I kind of think Rachel Amber is Max herself, a future version she time-shenanigan'd to hang out with Chloe while Past-Max was in Seattle. Now, hear me out. Rachel appears almost immediately after Max leaves, vanishes just a little before Max returns, Max has given no real reason why she was completely out of contact for five years, Rachel's clothes fit Max perfectly, Rachel seemed to always know just what to say to anyone to be their friend... I don't think Rachel has Max's powers, I think she is Max. I'm sure there's holes that can be poked in the theory, but when my friends and I were playing through episode 3 together none of us could think of a way to disprove the theory, and as the Ep. 3 ending showed, things were definitely going off the rails as it was.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Nah, that's actually a pretty common theory that's been discussed plenty right here in this thread as well. Who knows? It definitely holds some water.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crappy Jack posted:

Nah, that's actually a pretty common theory that's been discussed plenty right here in this thread as well. Who knows? It definitely holds some water.

I think you might be right, actually. Theoretically, Max is gonna be stuck trying to keep Chloe healthy and her father not dead throughout her life to coax the present into something good, and Max can't exactly do that as herself if she's off in Seattle now can she?

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Why do Rachel and Max look like two different people? Why did Chloe immediately recognize Max as Max instead of Rachel in the parking lot in episode 1?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Eh, I feel they are too on the nose about it to not just be a red herring.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I disagree with the theory holding any water, Rachel has Blonde hair and Hazel Eyes, Max has Brown Hair and Blue eyes, Rachel doesn't act a thing like Max, had an intimate relationship with Frank, has parents that are mentioned in the police report, I'd hardly consider being missing for 6 months to be "just a little before" and to be honest I can't remember if Rachel did show up shortly after Max left since all I can find is her with recent looking Chloe, and even though its obvious Rachel has Time Powers she shows no indicate of knowing future events that Max should know, like David spying on her, its a nonsense theory that people like to latch onto because of a minor line, same goes with the hobo being Max all because she says she's been there for hundreds of year

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

seravid posted:

I just found your reasoning curious is all. Sure, teenagers gently caress up constantly, but wouldn't you use this power to do and say things you would normally never do if you knew you could simply rewind any time something goes wrong? I'd have a permanent nosebleed; like a walking, talking, eternally broken dam.

I just love how red my blood is... and my previously white shirt now that it's drenched in life juice. God, I am such a weirdo.

I would, but I just want to see the world burn and everyone to hate me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could we keep the AIDS posts to a minimum in the future. Thanks and god bless.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The space doe is clearly Warren.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Junkfist posted:

The space doe is clearly Warren.

I'm getting real kicks out of shutting him down.

Okay I'm liking this game more now than I started off.

Still pretentious as gently caress tho. Apropos? who the gently caress uses that poo poo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Still pretentious as gently caress tho. Apropos? who the gently caress uses that poo poo.

Artsy fartsy art school teenagers?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, don't forget that you're playing as a pretentious hipster white girl at an art college for the rich and privileged who hangs out with her townie dropout ex-bff who is trying to lash out at her stepdad. Of course everybody's gonna sound like that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Some of the characters are intentionally pretentious, but the game isn't, its pretty down to earth and not up its own rear end. DONTNOD are the anti-David Cage.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 17, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

apropos is actually a normal word to use

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

epitasis posted:

For Stewie Griffin actually.

Only complaint I have is the groundskeeper guy is really creepy and gross. He just sounds like he kidnapped Rachel. And I bet that David was just trying to protect people from the kidnapper he knew was in the area or something, cause military training and all that.

I don't really like any of these characters though. Chloe is tolerable I guess.

I do like however how this game isn't afraid to bring up topics like daterape and suicide and such, that was surprising.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 17, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

epitasis posted:

If Sheryl Crow can use it in a pop song, I can use it in real life.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

a good rule of thumb

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress. I need episode 4 to come out :(

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I wonder if the fact that the new Thrones episode is out in a few days will effect the release date, like delay it a week so that they aren't competing

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Who do you think is writing all the messages that seem to follow you around? They're on a lot of Chloe's stuff so it'd seem like her, but they also pop up in weird places like the drug dealer guy's RV.

RV: Chloe's truck:

The handwriting seems different too. Did Rachel scrawl that stuff all over the place, or is it a warning to Max from her future/past self? In the Max=Rachel theory, maybe both? Kind of like how she can leave a message for herself on the fireplace in the latest episode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's possible, but on closer inspection most of the handwriting doesn't really align with Rachel's.

The first message in all caps could very well be hers but the second has too many dissimilarities to be Rachel alone. I think we might find out that a lot of people somehow have time traveling powers in Arcadia Bay and keep loving around with the timelines.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Accordion Man posted:

Kate still being alive could also be a big incentive.

I am pretty sure that events after the car crash are going to still have happened, as in, if Kate died in your play through, she is dead in both realities, not just the Alpha

Re Rachel: I am not sure I buy that Rachel had time powers, it seems like she made a lot of mistakes that would have been rewound if she had powers, her interactions with Frank that lead to their break up for one. It would give an explanation for her disappearance though, like someone else said, maybe she is stuck in a time paradox somewhere

Also thanks to whoever described the tone of this game as Melancholy. I was trying to nail down why this game made me want to keep playing it even though it just make me feel sad, now I know.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game doesn't make me feel sad, mostly. Then again I saved Kate on the first try so I guess the Ep 3 ending was the only Feels moment so far, even if I kept joking to friends about how this game was going to turn out like The Butterfly Effect and then it did.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Well poo poo, I thought episode 4 would be out this weekend, now I have to find something productive to do with my time.

:arghfist::saddowns:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

I don't wanna start the second chapter of D4 because there's no way I'll be able to finish it before this drops.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

woodenchicken posted:

I don't wanna start the second chapter of D4 because there's no way I'll be able to finish it before this drops.
Epsiode 2 of D4 isn't very long, you can shotgun it in an hour or two. (Unless you're referring to Episode 1, then yeah that will take you longer)

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Talorat posted:

Also thanks to whoever described the tone of this game as Melancholy. I was trying to nail down why this game made me want to keep playing it even though it just make me feel sad, now I know.

I've been trying to figure out why this game bring out these emotions and ~*feelings*~ in me. Its not a desire to be back in High School. Those weren't great years worth revisiting. I only liked a handful of people I went to school with. I've never been a teenage girl. Maybe its the desire to go back to time when teenage drama was my biggest concern and worry? But we can't go back. We don't get Max's rewind powers. Shiiit. I should start doing drugs, I think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It makes me nostalgic for mid-2000's teen indie films.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Regret is a big part of the game and we all experience(d) it. Time travel could probably fix most of them... at least, on paper.

I am very curious to know why Max dumped Chloe again; two universes, the same gently caress-up. Worse, in fact, considering the circumstances. We need a "Life Is Sliders" spin-off to discover the infinite ways in which Max shits all over an increasingly unfortunate Chloe. Tetraplegia really sets the bar high, though, goddamn.

"No... I'd never do that to Chloe". No, of course not :mad:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

seravid posted:

I am very curious to know why Max dumped Chloe again; two universes, the same gently caress-up.

In the original timeline it's just one of those things that happens when you don't see anyone all the time. poo poo happens even with today's ease of communication and the longer you go without talking to someone, the harder it gets to start again.
Wonder in the the new timeline whether Max was somehow involved in the accident.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Max and Chloe weren't just your typical school friends that (more or less naturally) lose touch after a while; they were very close with regular sleepovers and whatnot. I know that doesn't mean it wouldn't eventually end, but the friendship was going strong at the time of Chloe's beloved father's death and Max still decided to disappear off the map. Not being there - via whatever means was available - when she was most needed is 100% a gently caress up on Max's part, you can't handwave it with "welp I guess life happened v:shobon:v".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

seravid posted:

Max and Chloe weren't just your typical school friends that (more or less naturally) lose touch after a while; they were very close with regular sleepovers and whatnot. I know that doesn't mean it wouldn't eventually end, but the friendship was going strong at the time of Chloe's beloved father's death and Max still decided to disappear off the map. Not being there - via whatever means was available - when she was most needed is 100% a gently caress up on Max's part, you can't handwave it with "welp I guess life happened v:shobon:v".

Er, did I miss something or did Max specifically choose to move? I assumed it was a typical move where the whole family moves, so so does Max. Then Max comes back to go to the art school. I was under the impression that life literally did happen

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Er, did I miss something or did Max specifically choose to move? I assumed it was a typical move where the whole family moves, so so does Max. Then Max comes back to go to the art school. I was under the impression that life literally did happen

I'm not talking about the move; it was probably a regular thing (Max was thirteen at the time, so). I wrote "not being there - via whatever means available" because while Max wasn't the one who decided to move, she did decide to never write/call/skype her grieving friend. Emphasis on grieving, as Chloe's father died just before Max left to Seattle.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

seravid posted:

I'm not talking about the move; it was probably a regular thing (Max was thirteen at the time, so). I wrote "not being there - via whatever means available" because while Max wasn't the one who decided to move, she did decide to never write/call/skype her grieving friend. Emphasis on grieving, as Chloe's father died just before Max left to Seattle.

Max isn't supposed to be a totally great person.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Which is what I've been saying. Feel free to go up the thread a bit and see how the discussion started.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think suddenly dropping out of contact with a previously close friend is all that uncommon an occurrence in the modern world, especially when you're young and don't have any real means of seeing each other. Max is a pretty well-written teenager, with typical teenage faults but also noble qualities as well. Of course it's easy to see how she could come off like a total rear end in a top hat depending on certain player choices.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What 13-18 year old is though?

She doesn't do anything that makes her an outright bad person or anything. I think a lot of it is just being a video game lead character that isn't either super virtuous or some kind of troubled antihero.

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think suddenly dropping out of contact with a previously close friend is all that uncommon an occurrence in the modern world, especially when you're young and don't have any real means of seeing each other. Max is a pretty well-written teenager, with typical teenage faults but also noble qualities as well. Of course it's easy to see how she could come off like a total rear end in a top hat depending on certain player choices.
And this as well. Many people wouldn't know how to deal with their best friend losing one of their parents, and moving away not long after would make it even harder.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Isn't there an option to point out that Chloe never made any efforts to contact Max either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I think what moves the onus onto Max rather it being a mutual 'you never contacted me' thing is Max moved back, which Chloe couldn't have known, and Max kept putting off getting in touch.

• Locked thread