Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Holy poo poo shut up.

Take your personhood bullshit and shove it up your rear end.

He can't help himself, he identifies with fetsuses because of how much of a pathetically tiny manlet he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So on another note, I spent a few days visiting my father and one of his close friends turned out to be a diehard Alex Jones follower. I'd heard him mentioned in passing just from browsing this particular forum, but from hearing a bit of his podcasts he seems like an obvious huckster whose business model is to spout off an inane string of conspiracy theories that are impossible to fact-check tied together with fallacious arguments and then conclude that the only way to protect yourself from the new world order is to buy his $400 water filtration system.

Is there a more detailed takedown of him somewhere? Now that he's on my radar I'm curious to get into the meat of this windbag.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Voyager I posted:

So on another note, I spent a few days visiting my father and one of his close friends turned out to be a diehard Alex Jones follower. I'd heard him mentioned in passing just from browsing this particular forum, but from hearing a bit of his podcasts he seems like an obvious huckster whose business model is to spout off an inane string of conspiracy theories that are impossible to fact-check tied together with fallacious arguments and then conclude that the only way to protect yourself from the new world order is to buy his $400 water filtration system.

Is there a more detailed takedown of him somewhere? Now that he's on my radar I'm curious to get into the meat of this windbag.
http://youtu.be/LhqUk28OwHs

Alex Jones is powerful.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Goatman Sacks posted:

He can't help himself, he identifies with fetsuses because of how much of a pathetically tiny manlet he is.

armyman25wearingacape.jpg

I dunno guys if Westboro Baptist Church gets to do their thing without receiving bodily harm and Bruce Willis can do this

without getting lynched I think we have a pretty good baseline on speech not justifying violent retaliation.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Armyman25 posted:

I knew this one was going to come up, it's such a favorite. If a woman miscarries then it's a natural death. We don't arrest people because their children died naturally.

You have to prove they :airquote: "died naturally" first.
But that doesn't matter, because they will arrest you and cut you the gently caress OPEN.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/08/opinion/pregnant-and-no-civil-rights.html?_r=0

quote:

WITH the success of Republicans in the midterm elections and the passage of Tennessee’s anti-abortion amendment, we can expect ongoing efforts to ban abortion and advance the “personhood” rights of fertilized eggs, embryos and fetuses.

But it is not just those who support abortion rights who have reason to worry. Anti-abortion measures pose a risk to all pregnant women, including those who want to be pregnant.

Such laws are increasingly being used as the basis for arresting women who have no intention of ending a pregnancy and for preventing women from making their own decisions about how they will give birth.

How does this play out? Based on the belief that he had an obligation to give a fetus a chance for life, a judge in Washington, D.C., ordered a critically ill 27-year-old woman who was 26 weeks pregnant to undergo a cesarean section, which he understood might kill her. Neither the woman nor her baby survived.

In Iowa, a pregnant woman who fell down a flight of stairs was reported to the police after seeking help at a hospital. She was arrested for “attempted fetal homicide.”

In Utah, a woman gave birth to twins; one was stillborn. Health care providers believed that the stillbirth was the result of the woman’s decision to delay having a cesarean. She was arrested on charges of fetal homicide.

In Louisiana, a woman who went to the hospital for unexplained vaginal bleeding was locked up for over a year on charges of second-degree murder before medical records revealed she had suffered a miscarriage at 11 to 15 weeks of pregnancy.

Florida has had a number of such cases. In one, a woman was held prisoner at a hospital to prevent her from going home while she appeared to be experiencing a miscarriage. She was forced to undergo a cesarean. Neither the detention nor the surgery prevented the pregnancy loss, but they did keep this mother from caring for her two small children at home. While a state court later found the detention unlawful, the opinion suggested that if the hospital had taken her prisoner later in her pregnancy, its actions might have been permissible.

In another case, a woman who had been in labor at home was picked up by a sheriff, strapped down in the back of an ambulance, taken to a hospital, and forced to have a cesarean she did not want. When this mother later protested what had happened, a court concluded that the woman’s personal constitutional rights “clearly did not outweigh the interests of the State of Florida in preserving the life of the unborn child.”

Anti-abortion reasoning has also provided the justification for arresting pregnant women who experience depression and have attempted suicide. A 22-year-old in South Carolina who was eight months pregnant attempted suicide by jumping out a window. She survived despite suffering severe injuries. Because she lost the pregnancy, she was arrested and jailed for the crime of homicide by child abuse.

These are not isolated or rare cases. Last year, we published a peer-reviewed study documenting 413 arrests or equivalent actions depriving pregnant women of their physical liberty during the 32 years between 1973, when Roe v. Wade was decided, and 2005. In a majority of these cases, women who had no intention of ending a pregnancy went to term and gave birth to a healthy baby. This includes the many cases where the pregnant woman was alleged to have used some amount of alcohol or a criminalized drug.

Since 2005, we have identified an additional 380 cases, with more arrests occurring every week. This significant increase coincides with what the Guttmacher Institute describes as a “seismic shift” in the number of states with laws hostile to abortion rights.

The principle at the heart of contemporary efforts to end legal abortion is that fertilized eggs, embryos and fetuses are persons or at least have separate rights that must be protected by the state. In each of the cases we identified, this same rationale provided the justification for the deprivation of pregnant women’s physical liberty, as well as of the right to medical decision making, medical privacy, bodily integrity and, in one case, the woman’s right to life.

Many of the pregnant women subjected to this mistreatment are themselves profoundly opposed to abortion. Yet it was precisely the legal arguments for recriminalizing abortion that were used to strip them of their rights to dignity and liberty in the context of labor and delivery. These cases, individually and collectively, highlight what is so often missed when the focus is on attacking or defending abortion, namely that all pregnant women are at risk of losing a wide range of fundamental rights that are at the core of constitutional personhood in the United States.

If we want to end these unjust and inhumane arrests and forced interventions on pregnant women, we need to stop focusing only on the abortion issue and start working to protect the personhood of pregnant women.

We should be able to work across the spectrum of opinion about abortion to unite in the defense of one basic principle: that at no point in her pregnancy should a woman lose her civil and human rights.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 18, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I may be speaking in ignorance but I don't think anyone in this thread has supported those laws.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

I may be speaking in ignorance but I don't think anyone in this thread has supported those laws.
If a person argues for fetal personhood, then they are arguing in favor of those outcomes, namely the enshrinement of the fetus as a living human child sub-category under law. Barring, of course, narrowly defining fetal personhood in a sufficiently convoluted fashion that it only says "abortion is wrong". Armyman25 was arguing a fetus has the same rights as a person, so therefore they support the natural results of fetal personhood: the submission of a woman's rights to those of the fetus.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

But that doesn't matter, because they will arrest you and cut you the gently caress OPEN.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/08/opinion/pregnant-and-no-civil-rights.html?_r=0

Holy poo poo

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mister Macys posted:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

:911: America :911:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

I knew this one was going to come up, it's such a favorite. If a woman miscarries then it's a natural death. We don't arrest people because their children died naturally.

Why aren't the politicians and policies you support pushing to find a way to stop this genocide, though? Millions of people are dying every year and you don't care because it's "natural"? Cancer is natural. Starving is natural. You're full of poo poo because you don't actually care at all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Did the "fighting words" decisions ever get reversed? Seems like it'd be a pretty clear time to bring those out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

But I thought a strong conservative man would never be intimidated by mere threats, or would respond with an rear end-kicking! That whole idea is enshrined in that bullshit phrase "an armed society is a polite society", which only works if you think violence or the threat of it is a reasonable response to rudeness.

Plus, Zoey is a former loving SEAL, I sure as poo poo would not disrespect a SEAL to their face no matter what I think of them, because they are incredibly competent at kicking asses.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

what the gently caress

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

If you think fetuses are people, how could you not?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Wales Grey posted:

If a person argues for fetal personhood, then they are arguing in favor of those outcomes, namely the enshrinement of the fetus as a living human child sub-category under law. Barring, of course, narrowly defining fetal personhood in a sufficiently convoluted fashion that it only says "abortion is wrong". Armyman25 was arguing a fetus has the same rights as a person, so therefore they support the natural results of fetal personhood: the submission of a woman's rights to those of the fetus.

Okay, I didn't get being anti-choice from his posts but maybe there's history.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
They had Mark Levin on NPR the other morning for some strange reason. I recognized the name from mentions in this thread and holy poo poo he DOES sound like Master Shake. I thought y'all were just giving him poo poo.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lemming posted:

If you think fetuses are people, how could you not?

They're poo poo laws with bad outcomes that don't even improve conditions for fetuses, someone's views on personhood don't need to have anything to do with policy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there is a reason why I am opposed to person hood amendments despite my opposition to abortion. They tend to attack the innocent and not protect children at all. Plus the people that push for them don't seem to much care for actual children except wanting to beat them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Chantilly Say posted:

They're poo poo laws with bad outcomes that don't even improve conditions for fetuses, someone's views on personhood don't need to have anything to do with policy.

Absolutely. people genuinely interested in effective ways to reduce abortion, like Crowsbeak here, tend to advocate sexual health programs, education (real education), free clinics and stuff, and the empowerment of women in all respects. Not exactly red meat for the kind of fucker we discuss in this thread!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

They're poo poo laws with bad outcomes but that's why fetal personhood is a stupid idea. They're the logical outcome of the issue. The point is that nobody really believes in fetal personhood, abortion is (for mainstream voters) just a wedge issue that's pushed by the rich to get people to vote Republican. That's why they don't really try to take it to its logical conclusion, they don't actually believe it and they just want people to vote for them.

My guess is it's going to get worse because they lost on the gay equality issue. "Murder is bad!" is a much more compelling argument than "gays are icky!" if you're not thinking about the situation in depth. It's another thing entirely when people actually work to improve outcomes for babies and pregnant women, none of which is served by arguing that blastocysts are people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Chantilly Say posted:

What on earth does personhood need to have to do with somehow now (???) prosecuting people for miscarriages? That's not even what he was suggesting.

Because he is using the same argument as those of the Personhood movement, that a zygote is a person and therefore birth control counts as murder.

Chantilly Say posted:

Okay, I didn't get being anti-choice from his posts but maybe there's history.

He specifically highlighted zygotes and fertilized eggs as 'People' and that therefore day after pills and birth control were murder of people.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CommieGIR posted:

Because he is using the same argument as those of the Personhood movement, that a zygote is a person and therefore birth control counts as murder.

He specifically highlighted zygotes and fertilized eggs as 'People' and that therefore day after pills and birth control were murder of people.

You're being too kind, he was saying that referring to the zygote as a person means that it's philosophically consistent with equating hormonal birth control with murder... while ignoring that the only thing pro-life people are consistent on are their daily bowel movements.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phone posted:

You're being too kind, he was saying that referring to the zygote as a person means that it's philosophically consistent with equating hormonal birth control with murder... while ignoring that the only thing pro-life people are consistent on are their daily bowel movements.

Ack, yeah, I forgot about that little part. Either way, he was making some really insane arguments.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Personhood was too extreme for Mississippi.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

CommieGIR posted:

Well there you go, that's my bad, that's what I missed.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Personhood was too extreme for Mississippi.

Seconding this. If it didn't get passed in Mississippi where poo poo is real bad I think we might be okay for a bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Teaches of Peaches posted:

Seconding this. If it didn't get passed in Mississippi where poo poo is real bad I think we might be okay for a bit.

Please, you or someone else go into why Mississippi is so bad. All I know about the state is from this small part of a podcast.

https://youtu.be/WfQ17F6y850?t=5m10s

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

RareAcumen posted:

Please, you or someone else go into why Mississippi is so bad. All I know about the state is from this small part of a podcast.

https://youtu.be/WfQ17F6y850?t=5m10s

For some reason I associate Mississippi with high school proms. Mainly a prom couple of years ago that was cancelled (with the school strongly suggesting right-minded people have their own, private prom) because :siren: two girls wanted to go there as a couple :siren: and also because they have racially segregated proms.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

Rush just claimed that Comedy Central stole the idea for The Daily Show from The Half Hour News Hour.

Link?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RareAcumen posted:

Please, you or someone else go into why Mississippi is so bad.

Take a look at most good statistics a state could have, Mississippi is usually in the bottom 3. Take a look at most bad statistics a state could have, Mississippi is usually in the top 3.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Take a look at most good statistics a state could have, Mississippi is usually in the bottom 3. Take a look at most bad statistics a state could have, Mississippi is usually in the top 3.

Mississippi is the state West Virginians look at and say "Well, could be worse."

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Mississippi is that state that people can spell with a little diddy. That's about all it has going for it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Thanks, Obummer

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gravel Gravy posted:

Mississippi is that state that people can spell with a little diddy. That's about all it has going for it.

And a somewhat dirty joke.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Motto posted:

what the gently caress
This has been going on for a long, long time.

The most horrifying thing is that the pregnant woman is generally upset, so when there's a conflict and judges come to do things, there's a calm doctor telling them the "medical facts" (they will conveniently ignore the risk to the mother and focus on the life of the fetus) and a usually justifiably upset woman that the judge will likely think is acting hysterically (of course this has its own horrible connotations) in comparison to the doctor, so they'll just order that the doctors do what they gotta do. The whole thing is sickening and women's rights are regularly violated. It doesn't matter what you think of abortion, the idea that we can force medical procedures on competent adults (in many of these cases the mothers are judged to be incompetent because they're making decisions against what the doctors think reasonable, or are actively upset, conveniently ignoring how competency is judged in other cases) is abhorrent.

EDIT: to clarify, when doctors and patients disagree on what should be done, they usually agree on all the medical facts, but differ on the relative importance of them. So a lot of times, doctors in these cases will treat the patient as if they don't actually know what is going on, when the patient is usually painfully aware of what's happening.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 18, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

This has been going on for a long, long time.

The most horrifying thing is that the pregnant woman is generally upset, so when there's a conflict and judges come to do things, there's a calm doctor telling them the "medical facts" (they will conveniently ignore the risk to the mother and focus on the life of the fetus) and a usually justifiably upset woman that the judge will likely think is acting hysterically (of course this has its own horrible connotations) in comparison to the doctor, so they'll just order that the doctors do what they gotta do. The whole thing is sickening and women's rights are regularly violated. It doesn't matter what you think of abortion, the idea that we can force medical procedures on competent adults (in many of these cases the mothers are judged to be incompetent because they're making decisions against what the doctors think reasonable, or are actively upset, conveniently ignoring how competency is judged in other cases) is abhorrent.

EDIT: to clarify, when doctors and patients disagree on what should be done, they usually agree on all the medical facts, but differ on the relative importance of them. So a lot of times, doctors in these cases will treat the patient as if they don't actually know what is going on, when the patient is usually painfully aware of what's happening.

Best health care system in the world.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/trump-attacks-mccain-being-prisoner-war-i-people-werent-captured_993092.html#.Vap_qf3YSaM.twitter

Please, please, please, please...I beg of everyone.

Please let veterans see this poo poo. Holy Hell.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/trump-attacks-mccain-being-prisoner-war-i-people-werent-captured_993092.html#.Vap_qf3YSaM.twitter

Keepin' it classy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

I mean he has a point. McCain got a flight position he didn't deserve because of his daddy, crashed 4 planes, and then was punished for war crimes by the Vietnamese.