Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
If you put the packet dumps and documentation together it was obvious that Steamworks P2P uses the open-source library that Google developed for Hangouts (i.e. file sharing and video/voice chat with a few other people) and that library flipped its poo poo when Steamworks asked it to manage hundreds or thousands of short-lived connections. Unfortunately "Steamworks uses an open-source P2P library with scalability issues that weren't triggered by any game before Ultra" is a lot harder to say than "gently caress Capcom".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I just had a match that made me turn my ps3 off in disgust. I'm uploading it now, but oh my god that's enough Street Fighter for tonight after this match. I want to kill this fucker if I fight him again.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Himuro posted:

I just had a match that made me turn my ps3 off in disgust. I'm uploading it now, but oh my god that's enough Street Fighter for tonight after this match. I want to kill this fucker if I fight him again.

GIVE IN TO THE ANGER. IT WILL MAKE YOU MORE POWERFUL and also look kinda weird and demonlike so fyi beware

It's good to know when to take a break, especially before your controller or other peripherals don't take a "break" as well.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Prowler posted:

GIVE IN TO THE ANGER. IT WILL MAKE YOU MORE POWERFUL and also look kinda weird and demonlike so fyi beware

It's good to know when to take a break, especially before your controller or other peripherals don't take a "break" as well.

I fought an Oni and Akuma tonight, and I know it's not right but I automatically judge ANY person who uses Akuma or Oni harshly. I don't know why but I can't loving help it. I hate you Akuma!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJnbv2zFm2Y

That mother fucker.

It was great practice for practicing throw techs, but still. What an absolute rear end in a top hat. I'm not going to call him cheap, because that's a lame way to make excuses. But :argh:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Himuro posted:

I fought an Oni and Akuma tonight, and I know it's not right but I automatically judge ANY person who uses Akuma or Oni harshly. I don't know why but I can't loving help it. I hate you Akuma!

Remember that you can delay your wakeup by pressing two buttons after being swept or thrown. Standing up a second later wrecks a bunch of Akuma's setups.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Himuro posted:

Here's the video.

That mother fucker.

It was great practice for practicing throw techs, but still. What an absolute rear end in a top hat. I'm not going to call him cheap, because that's a lame way to make excuses. But :argh:

you did great the rounds that you weren't jumping.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you did great the rounds that you weren't jumping.

Jumping really wasn't my intention going into the match. I even started resorting to back dashing again as you can see. I got so pissed and panicky during the match I was playing on pure nerves.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Himuro posted:

That mother fucker.

It was great practice for practicing throw techs, but still. What an absolute rear end in a top hat.

Just wait until people start baiting your throw techs and getting 450 damage counter hit combos because you tried to protect yourself from 120 damage off the throw. The bane of midlevel players everywhere, especially my house.

Keep throwing fireballs, as Poison you recover very quickly and are safe from most anti-fireball moves.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Or just wait until you get Bisons that do headstomp shenanigans trading or beating all your anti-air attempts and Devil's reversing out of your air-to-air attempts making them impossible to hit :v:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Celebrity Ghost posted:

If you'd like a cheap copy for PC, I can potentially hook you up: http://steamcommunity.com/id/celebrity-ghost/

Sorry I didn't reply earlier; if you've got a deal then sure, feel free to message me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/thefuturecop/

Himuro posted:

Here's the video.

That mother fucker.

Augh, that guy was definitely annoying but I thought you adapted quite well in the other rounds.

Here's some stuff about what I was talking about in my previous comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx6Z5VGsBw4 though looking back on the round the choices were better than I thought; even though you backed off, he was low on life so maybe it was safer to play a projectile game and chip him out.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Is Bison's air to air usually that good?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
It is, but for different reasons. His AA is kinda rear end so he's forced to meet you in the air to properly dissuade you from jumping. Headstomps do utterly massive damage and j.MP~MP leads to ultra in the right circumstances. So yeah.

That's the kind of player I'd tell you to invite me into the lobby to play so that I could properly mangle him. He was playing dumb and gimmicky and the second you get your head around what you should do, you'll murder him.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Argh. That match really deflated me at the time but now I'm in training mode training because I can't suffer losing like that ever again. That fucker. I am going to memorize his user id so that if I come across him again I will turn him into hamburger.

This is what SFV needs in online mode: clans and bounties. So some rear end in a top hat does that and you want revenge, so you set a bounty on him and have one of your clan mates fight em and take them out, or you can keep requesting fights against him. That's one flaw in the online gaming route. In the arcades, usually the same people went so you knew who those guys and gals were and if you lost, you could rematch them easily. But online, you'll likely encounter them only once. That is not enough. They need to suffer.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 16, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Himuro posted:

Argh. That match really deflated me at the time but now I'm in training mode training because I can't suffer losing like that ever again. That fucker. I am going to memorize his user id so that if I come across him again I will turn him into hamburger.

This is what SFV needs in online mode: clans and bounties. So some rear end in a top hat does that and you want revenge, so you set a bounty on him and have one of your clan mates fight em and take them out, or you can keep requesting fights against him. That's one flaw in the online gaming route. In the arcades, usually the same people went so you knew who those guys and gals were and if you lost, you could rematch them easily. But online, you'll likely encounter them only once. That is not enough. They need to suffer.

Go Play mk. You've got problems son.

Zingih
Jan 2, 2013
Fighting guys like that is good for you. Should make you spot the biggest flaws in your game, like lack of anti airs, damage sources and defense. Backdash at wakeup is a great option except in the corner, especially if the opponent is on the ground. Stop mashing shoryus. That Bison wasn't air to airing you on reaction, he was just doing random stuff.

If you want to get better go into training mode and record Ken jumping at you with HK. Anti air that with Cr. HP until you get comfortable with it. Now do it some more and cancel the Cr. HP into a fireball after swatting him down. Establish you can do that in a match and suddenly the opponent will have to actually think about when to jump at you. Then you can throw fireballs at him. Whee.

You should also record him doing LP Shoryuken and punish that with Cr. HP to HP rekka. Practice that until you get it down 100%. Then you do that after every blocked Shoryuken or Ultra or whatever.

Also learn to crouch tech. It's just doing a throw while holding down back. Do it late enough and you will block an attack and tech a throw.

Also you're not good enough you should get mad about losing to anything. And that Bison played more solid than you.

Zingih fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 16, 2015

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm not mad about the loss. Losses come. I'm mad about how the fight went and ended up practicing throwing techs in training mode and my cr.HP. Throwing tech is tough.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 16, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Throw teching is more prediction than reaction, that's why there's a legion of bads who think throws are cheap. Once you've played enough fighting games you instinctively recognize the setups or situations where you might want to do it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The game is on sale on Steam for 10 bucks and also free for the weekend.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/45760/

Bye bye, ps3 version.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Himuro posted:

Bye bye, ps3 version.

Notably, the latest costume DLC is on sale for the first time as well. So get your furry (or vacation) on.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Himuro posted:

Bye bye, ps3 version.

Have you purchased it for Steam? There are quite a few goons who would be willing to play you and help you improve, and some of us are actually decent at the game!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/magicmedicine/

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Prowler posted:

Have you purchased it for Steam? There are quite a few goons who would be willing to play you and help you improve, and some of us are actually decent at the game!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/magicmedicine/

I haven't gotten it yet because I wonder if I should. Connection is ok, I got ranked B in the benchmark. At the same time there seems to be less people. But the PC version also seems faster. Dunno, I'll get it tomorrow.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
USIV on Steam bought. User id: Dorothy Dandridge.

I dunno. Comparing them, I prefer the ps3 version. I managed to tweak my settings and I'm sitting at an A for my computer, and the framerate is largely awful on multi matches. I did a match where each round lasted 2 minutes because the fps was like literally 5 fps. Even when I pick Same Region, performance is pretty mixed. You guys said that ps3 is full of people playing on wifi, but the perfomance on Steam is much, much worse. Going from Arcade Mode to Multiplayer matches is night and day and this is almost unplayable. Maybe it's my computer? If that's the case, why give me an A grade? My connection is pretty solid too.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 18, 2015

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Make sure to set the framerate to fixed.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah I checked that. Turned vsync off too, and now we have made a goon endless room and having a ball!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

That endless lobby still going? Anybody up to play a really crappy makoto? http://steamcommunity.com/id/Garrand/

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Hey, to whomever the goon was with Ultra on PS4, I have it now and I'll be down to play either there or pc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Himuro posted:

USIV on Steam bought. User id: Dorothy Dandridge.

I dunno. Comparing them, I prefer the ps3 version. I managed to tweak my settings and I'm sitting at an A for my computer, and the framerate is largely awful on multi matches. I did a match where each round lasted 2 minutes because the fps was like literally 5 fps. Even when I pick Same Region, performance is pretty mixed. You guys said that ps3 is full of people playing on wifi, but the perfomance on Steam is much, much worse. Going from Arcade Mode to Multiplayer matches is night and day and this is almost unplayable. Maybe it's my computer? If that's the case, why give me an A grade? My connection is pretty solid too.

The slow FPS during ranked matches could be the person you're playing against either has a lovely PC/connection, and/or has framerate set to variable and vsync on. Or maybe you were playing that one Russian dude who turns on a lag switch to win matches.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So, as I'm now an enforced pad player, I wonder if I could convert, and how much I'd suck on an XB1 pad.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Shockeh posted:

So, as I'm now an enforced pad player, I wonder if I could convert, and how much I'd suck on an XB1 pad.
Get a silent stick + buttons.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Goodpart posted:

Get a silent stick + buttons.

Every one I've seen hasn't really been any quieter, might obviously be a very small sample of bad instances. Reccomendations?

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Shockeh posted:

Every one I've seen hasn't really been any quieter, might obviously be a very small sample of bad instances. Reccomendations?
Sanwa make silent buttons and also silent arcade sticks. The inside of the pots of the buttons are lined with neoprene. The sticks have silent microswitches. Apart from the thumping of the stick against the gate, you hear basically nothing.

Not saying that it's 100% silent, but in the right case, those buttons and those sticks are whisper quiet.

You pay a premium for them, but they're worth it given what you want to do!

Hori also make a silent model of their Kai series for PS3/4 so that might be worth looking into. Especially if you'd rather get a complete stick rather than piecemeal stuff.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I will vouch that the silent sanwa stick is really much quieter than the regular sticks. You do also lose the tactile "click" of the actuation point but it's not necessarily a bit deal.
I haven't tried silent buttons but from reading about then, I imagine if you have both and don't slam the buttons hard it'll be about as noisy as a pad would be anyway.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD2fmvklrJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWqB6hGCDig

For your consideration.

Evo finals! :toot:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so the new character is Yujiro Hanma?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Seriously just thought it was feral ryu or something until the v trigger.

Then I thought it was feral ken

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there Day 3 EVO VODs somewhere? I missed everything from today.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Jack Trades posted:

Are there Day 3 EVO VODs somewhere? I missed everything from today.

its on right now

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Holy poo poo those finals. I was on the edge of my seat through most of them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Had a pretty good rank match tonight against a C+ Hugo on Steam. I'm ranked D. Watching EVO USFIV really showed me how the game is meant to be played so I got on and took what I learned. I think I did a solid job, though I did get cocky in the second round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NibMgGIxhBc

I am really proud of the last round, especially the last move. Tonight on the stream I saw some deliberate whiff pokes to bait and deal a bigger hit. I knew baiting was a risk with Hugo but since I got cocky in the second round he'd bite. He did. I ended with him a hk sweep. Felt good baiting and having my plan work.

I think I'm a good position in regards to the basics. I still don't fully get focus attacks, though. Or when to use them besides fireball evasion. Now that I'm comfortable with my character, and since I'm no longer playing on PS3, I think it's a good time to work on mastering some combos with Poison. Her cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.lk, st.mk, whip of love is much easier to do on steam for reason. Maybe I'm just imagining it.

• Locked thread