Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Only an hour at 110, they are fine. Just cook em.

ANOVA seems to be really good about replacement, so email them asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SubG posted:

Pretty much any food science text will cover it, but here's an article on PubMed if you're actually skeptical.

The behaviour is due to a mechanism called acid tolerance response (the search term you want if you're looking for one) or ATR in bacteria. The simple version is that any time a bacteria is exposed to an environmental shock it'll respond by trying to produce proteins that will enhance its survivability. If the shock is large enough (like if you're dumping the typical foodborne pathogen into distilled vinegar) it'll just kill the bacteria outright. But in something like a marinade you're typically not lowering the pH throughout the dish enough to kill all the bacteria. The surviving bacteria produce ATR proteins, and as a result are more resistant to other environmental stresses (like heat).

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
With the heat wave we've had over the weekend, I couldn't stand the thought of doing a pork tenderloin stir fry as I'd planned. Then I'd remembered I have this sous-vide thing I'd done some pretty good chicken salads with! So I cooked up a very random pork tenderloin salad with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, pistachios and strawberries with wafu dressing. That was pretty good. :3:

I'd like to use this thing more often, but it's a bit of a chore to use on weeknights given the cooking times. I figured I could just start it up in the morning before going to work and come home to a ready meat... But what if that takes me beyond the recommended cooking time? I have some duck magret that I'd like to sous-vide as per this recipe, which states up to 4 hours, but it'd likely end up cooking for 7-8 hours instead. Can you actually overcook things with sous vide?

Also, for storing sous-vide meat for later, directions are to dunk the meat in ice water before storing it in the fridge. Is it better to store it in its original bag, with liquids, or should I dump the liquids first?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Jan posted:

With the heat wave we've had over the weekend, I couldn't stand the thought of doing a pork tenderloin stir fry as I'd planned. Then I'd remembered I have this sous-vide thing I'd done some pretty good chicken salads with! So I cooked up a very random pork tenderloin salad with lettuce, carrots, cucumber, pistachios and strawberries with wafu dressing. That was pretty good. :3:

I'd like to use this thing more often, but it's a bit of a chore to use on weeknights given the cooking times. I figured I could just start it up in the morning before going to work and come home to a ready meat... But what if that takes me beyond the recommended cooking time? I have some duck magret that I'd like to sous-vide as per this recipe, which states up to 4 hours, but it'd likely end up cooking for 7-8 hours instead. Can you actually overcook things with sous vide?

Also, for storing sous-vide meat for later, directions are to dunk the meat in ice water before storing it in the fridge. Is it better to store it in its original bag, with liquids, or should I dump the liquids first?

Your meat will get a little softer, but will still be edible.

If doing a cook-chill, dunk the whole bag, unopened, in the ice bath and then into the fridge. The idea is that the inside of the bag is a) sealed and b) pasteurized. If you chill it down and put it in the fridge, it will keep for weeks just fine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
made this last night, best ham i've ever had in my life

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/sous-vide-city-ham-with-balsamic-brown-sugar-glaze-recipe.html

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Just vizzled up some burgers. 134 for an hour, with some already-cooked bacon and a little cheddar mixed in with the beef. Quick sear on each side. Those were some drat fine burgers.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I was thinking of pre-cooking some cut up chicken breast pieces before breading and frying them in a pan. Should I do less than the normal cooking temperature due to the added heat from the frying step, or is it fast enough that it doesn't really matter?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nuru posted:

I was thinking of pre-cooking some cut up chicken breast pieces before breading and frying them in a pan. Should I do less than the normal cooking temperature due to the added heat from the frying step, or is it fast enough that it doesn't really matter?
Take the bag out of the water bath and throw it in the fridge if you're worried about it. Whether or not you really need to depends on how hot your oil is and what you're going for with the breading. If you're just throwing it in lava hot oil for under a minute I wouldn't bother loving with it any more than I would if you were just planning on searing it off.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

This new Anova really, really doesn't like steam. Setting the temp to 75C (167F) I find that the water bath needs to be sealed enough to not have any condensation form on the Anova, otherwise the temperature reading starts spiking to 220C and the device shuts down with an internal error.

When Anova's upper part is devoid of condensation it keeps chugging on just fine. A little unfortunate, just means that (to me) sourcing a water bath container that you can employ a good seal over is important. I don't suppose there's a dremel attachment with the same diameter as the anova precision cooker metal skirt? :)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

homercles posted:

I don't suppose there's a dremel attachment with the same diameter as the anova precision cooker metal skirt? :)

Ping-pong balls. http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Pract...ping+pong+balls

or foil.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Or sturdy foam like they make pool noodles out of

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

homercles posted:

I don't suppose there's a dremel attachment with the same diameter as the anova precision cooker metal skirt? :)

Hole saw.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
ANOVA Precision just went on a Lightning deal at Amazon for 139.99. You need Prime for the discount, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 15, 2015

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Thanks for the heads up! I just bought one so I'm sure I will be posting in here soon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I just bought one so I'm sure I will be posting in here soon.

No problem - glad to help.

EDIT: Back to 179.99.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 16, 2015

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got mine on that lightning deal too. The box is interesting to say the least, big black and yellow tube that looks kind of like a battery. Off to the grocery store tomorrow morning, it's sous vide week coming up!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Gonna cook my first big roast tomorrow! It's a boneless pork loin (not tenderloin) about 6" across and 3" up and down. Is this cylinder-like enough for Baldwin tables? I'm thinking 6 hours at 134° F, then searing chops individually for maximum crust. I do want it to be safe, especially since I'm cooking for other people. Thoughts or ideas?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I've been cooking pork ribs for three days now because science

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Smiling Jack posted:

I've been cooking pork ribs for three days now because science

Main problem was structural integrity in getting it onto the grill and then oh my god it's full of stars

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Smiling Jack posted:

Main problem was structural integrity in getting it onto the grill and then oh my god it's full of stars

I've considered wrapping in tinfoil before vac sealing, so I can get it to the grill and the unwrap in situ, but I'm not sure it would work well, and I don't have a grill at the moment.

Hmm. Would Saran-wrapping inside a vac bag let me keep liquid seasonings against the item without the usual sealing suction problem?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Eh, if your meat has no structural integrity you may as well be eating tofu, IMO. It's very possible to get too tender. I made the mistake of ordering some ribs from a new restaurant a couple nights ago and they were so soft I didn't even bother finishing them. Do people really like eating mush sticks?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Choadmaster posted:

Eh, if your meat has no structural integrity you may as well be eating tofu, IMO. It's very possible to get too tender. I made the mistake of ordering some ribs from a new restaurant a couple nights ago and they were so soft I didn't even bother finishing them. Do people really like eating mush sticks?

Yes.

Almost every non-rib-dedicated restaurant i've ever visited that serves ribs serves them as mush-on-bone. People think it's great, maybe because it's what they expect.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

If you want to do that let them chill before searing, they'll regain structural integrity.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly why, but I think it's because when the broken down connective tissue solidifies inside the muscle it becomes heat stable.

Or maybe it's the gelatin, I can't remember, I've done it before for firmer stewed meats and pastrami.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
So I bought some flank, skirt and flat iron steak today that I plan on sous vide'ing tomorrow or Saturday at my family's house and I'd like to prep and vacuum seal them before so I have less to take with me. What seasonings (s+p, herbs, butter, oil) can go in with the steaks up to a day before actually starting the cook? I figure butter and dry herbs are fine, but I'm more concerned with the salt. Any advice here?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm experiencing an interesting learning curve where I'm making some sous vide stuff worse than I would with traditional cooking methods. Using a brand new Anova precision cooker.

Attempts:
1. Strip steak, 130 for 1hr, sear it off. Overcooked it, tried to sear too much.
2. Chicken + salt and pepper, 145 for 1 hr. Turned out beautifully moist, but there was somehow an off flavor that didn't taste good?
3. Country style pork ribs + bbq sauce, 141 for 24 hours. Drained, put in a pan, brushed with bbq sauce and broiled for 5 minutes. Some pieces were dry.

Tonight is this, will see how it goes. http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/perfect-double-thick-rosemary-infused-pork-chop-with-hard-cider-glaze-braised-cabbage-and-apples

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Random Hero posted:

So I bought some flank, skirt and flat iron steak today that I plan on sous vide'ing tomorrow or Saturday at my family's house and I'd like to prep and vacuum seal them before so I have less to take with me. What seasonings (s+p, herbs, butter, oil) can go in with the steaks up to a day before actually starting the cook? I figure butter and dry herbs are fine, but I'm more concerned with the salt. Any advice here?
Butter's fine. Dry herbs are fine but you don't want them to be in contact with the meat as that will result in flavour spots. Some people don't seem to give a poo poo, but it's easy enough to either arrange the herbs in the bag so they're just off to the side or to make a little open sachet (e.g. out of the vacuum bag material) to put in the bag.

Salt's fine assuming you aren't adding enough to cure the thing. In general you want to either salt immediately before searing or an hour or so (or more) before searing. The former gets you slightly better crust and slightly less of a flavour boost from the salt (that is, not just saltiness, but the general flavour accentuating action). The latter gets you better flavour enhancement. You don't want to salt in the window in between `immediately' and `about an hour' because you'll be giving the salt enough time to draw water out of the meat but not enough time for it to be reabsorbed. I believe Our Lord And Savior Kenji did a blog post about it and I'm sure someone will be along presently to link it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I'm sure someone will be along presently to link it.

This feels like a predestination vs free will dilemma

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Salt's fine assuming you aren't adding enough to cure the thing.

Speaking of curing, I SVd some ribs once and put a good amount of rub on them, because generally you lose a lot during cooking. But of course sous vide is different and they absorbed every bit of salt and were inedible.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SubG posted:

Butter's fine. Dry herbs are fine but you don't want them to be in contact with the meat as that will result in flavour spots. Some people don't seem to give a poo poo, but it's easy enough to either arrange the herbs in the bag so they're just off to the side or to make a little open sachet (e.g. out of the vacuum bag material) to put in the bag.

Salt's fine assuming you aren't adding enough to cure the thing. In general you want to either salt immediately before searing or an hour or so (or more) before searing. The former gets you slightly better crust and slightly less of a flavour boost from the salt (that is, not just saltiness, but the general flavour accentuating action). The latter gets you better flavour enhancement. You don't want to salt in the window in between `immediately' and `about an hour' because you'll be giving the salt enough time to draw water out of the meat but not enough time for it to be reabsorbed. I believe Our Lord And Savior Kenji did a blog post about it and I'm sure someone will be along presently to link it.

Butter's no good according to Kenji at least, supposedly it pulls the fat soluble compounds out of the meat and into the butter.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html#addfat

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Butter's no good according to Kenji at least, supposedly it pulls the fat soluble compounds out of the meat and into the butter.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html#addfat
That's probably technically true but irrelevant unless you're doing your steaks the way Keller does lobster---using the butter as the s-v medium and putting the protein directly into it. Because if you're just throwing a couple pats of butter into the bag (like something like the amount you'd use for mounting butter sauce in the pan) there's just not that much fat for poo poo to be soluble into. And in order for it to pick up all those fat-soluble compounds it's got to be getting into the meat. Which means that some portion of it is going to stay in there, and presumably that stuff's going to assist the flavour in the predictable ways.

I mean I'd love to see actual data on it, but this really sounds like too much theory not enough practice.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Kenji's right, added fat is bad. If you were to put 1T of butter in a bag with your steak, which is about what you'd use for a pan sauce, you will dilute herby flavor compounds.

Not to mention, butter fat/solids certainly aren't going to go into, or stick your steak at 120F, so why do it?

e: my experience being that I do this often, and for a living, on a daily basis, and steaks SV'd with any kind of fat tasted blander to all of the chefs. S&P and herbs are all you need in the bag.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 24, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Kenji's right, added fat is bad. If you were to put 1T of butter in a bag with your steak, which is about what you'd use for a pan sauce, you will dilute herby flavor compounds.
Depends on the herbs and how much of them you're using in proportion to the butter/oil.

I mean I wouldn't put butter in with most meats and I really don't `get' trying to use a bag in a water bath for poaching or braising (since poaching and braising work perfectly well for what they do in their `traditional' forms). But if you're trying to argue that oil in the bag is bad you really have to account for the fact that all kinds of poo poo is oil soluble but not water soluble, so in addition to whatever notional dilution you're causing you're also releasing a lot of poo poo that you wouldn't otherwise be. I mean you wouldn't try to bloom spices in water versus oil, would you?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SubG posted:

Depends on the herbs and how much of them you're using in proportion to the butter/oil.

I mean I wouldn't put butter in with most meats and I really don't `get' trying to use a bag in a water bath for poaching or braising (since poaching and braising work perfectly well for what they do in their `traditional' forms). But if you're trying to argue that oil in the bag is bad you really have to account for the fact that all kinds of poo poo is oil soluble but not water soluble, so in addition to whatever notional dilution you're causing you're also releasing a lot of poo poo that you wouldn't otherwise be. I mean you wouldn't try to bloom spices in water versus oil, would you?

Yeah that might work if your goal is to make the butter taste better, but it doesn't matter how many compounds from the herbs get dissolved if they all stay trapped in the butter along with the compounds that would have dissolved without it, as well as pulling fat soluble compounds out of the meat.

Also no fat is definitely not penetrating the meat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Yeah that might work if your goal is to make the butter taste better, but it doesn't matter how many compounds from the herbs get dissolved if they all stay trapped in the butter along with the compounds that would have dissolved without it, as well as pulling fat soluble compounds out of the meat.

Also no fat is definitely not penetrating the meat.
The goal of making the butter taste better, if you want to think of it that way, is precisely the same as if you were e.g. mounting a compound butter in the pan. That is, the butter is in contact with the meat and therefore flavoured by it. If you are arguing that this isn't the best way to flavour a piece of meat I have no particular argument, but as near as I can tell that isn't the claim.

Further, you can't have it both ways. If the oil isn't penetrating into the meat then there is no mechanism for it to `pull fat soluble compounds out of the meat'. A solvent can't dissolve poo poo where it ain't. That said, essentially all techniques based on submersion of meat in flavoured liquids (brining, marinading, braising, and so on) are predominantly surface phenomena.

So if your argument is that you're probably better off doing whatever you're going to do with butter while the steak (or whatever) is in the pan rather than in the bag I agree. But that's not what Kenji was saying, and that's not what I was responding to.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

SubG posted:

So if your argument is that you're probably better off doing whatever you're going to do with butter while the steak (or whatever) is in the pan rather than in the bag I agree. But that's not what Kenji was saying, and that's not what I was responding to.

In fairness to Kenji, you're actually arguing against Jarmak's slightly-off paraphrasing. Kenji doesn't say butter pulls flavor from the meat, but that it absorbs the flavors of the herbs and seasonings you put in with the meat, such that you're flavoring the butter (most of which isn't going to make it to anyone's mouth) rather than the meat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

In fairness to Kenji, you're actually arguing against Jarmak's slightly-off paraphrasing. Kenji doesn't say butter pulls flavor from the meat, but that it absorbs the flavors of the herbs and seasonings you put in with the meat, such that you're flavoring the butter (most of which isn't going to make it to anyone's mouth) rather than the meat.
Kenji actually phrases it as a kind of throwaway but his comments include by implication both fat-soluble compounds in the meat as well as any other flavourings added to the bag:

Kenji posted:

Intuitively you may think that adding a flavorful fat like butter or olive oil will in turn help create a more flavorful steak, but in fact it turns out that you achieves the opposite goal: it dilutes flavor. Fat-soluble flavor compounds dissolve in the melted butter or oil and end up going down the drain later. Similarly, flavors extracted from aromatics end up diluted. For best results, place your seasoned steak in a bag with no added fats.
Jarmak says this more strongly, and Chef De Cuisinart's comments were specifically about the favour of herbs added to the bag.

I think the dilution of herb flavour is a non-issue (just add more herbs) and, as I commented in my first response on the subject, I'm sure the dilution of fat-soluble flavour compounds from the meat is something that happens. But it's almost certainly irrelevant (because it's not going to happen much---because it's largely a surface phenomenon and therefore can't possibly affect the overwhelming majority of fat-soluble flavour compounds in the meat), and to whatever extent it is happening, it is necessarily happening simultaneously with the transport of fat-soluble flavour compounds from whatever herbs are there into the meat.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I don't think I have done BSCB without butter (when I don't use teriyaki or chile sauces).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I just canceled my Nomiku 2.0 order -- nothing against it or the delays (comes with the territory on Kickstarter), but I don't really eat meat anymore and wouldn't really be able to justify something that specialised for how infrequently I'd be using it.

It would be nice to have for eggs and the occasional veggies though, and I've also been thinking of getting into homebrewing. It seems like a PID + water urn* setup would be the most versatile (a bit clunky/ugly and comparatively fiddly to put together, but probably suits my purposes best), to those of you using PID's, does this PID/SSR/PT-100 sensor kit look fine? Bonus for me is being able to buy another probe + a stick heater and use it for controlling the water bath when I develop colour film, if I decide to get back into that.

*I know a 40L (~10 gallon) urn would be best for doing full 5 gallon brews, but the 40L urns cost double and I'd be satisfied with just brewing in smaller batches if it came to that.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 24, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

I think the dilution of herb flavour is a non-issue (just add more herbs) and, as I commented in my first response on the subject, I'm sure the dilution of fat-soluble flavour compounds from the meat is something that happens. But it's almost certainly irrelevant (because it's not going to happen much---because it's largely a surface phenomenon and therefore can't possibly affect the overwhelming majority of fat-soluble flavour compounds in the meat), and to whatever extent it is happening, it is necessarily happening simultaneously with the transport of fat-soluble flavour compounds from whatever herbs are there into the meat.

It does become an issue of cost in a commercial environment. It isn't a largely surface loss, if you're salting before bagging because osmosis. Bottom line, there's no reason to add fat to your bag, and at least 1 definite reason to not add it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It does become an issue of cost in a commercial environment.
Okay. I don't think that has anything to do with either Random Hero's original request (about what is and is not okay to seal up in a bag a day ahead of time before cooking for his family) or Kenji's comments.

It isn't a largely surface loss, if you're salting before bagging because osmosis. Bottom line, there's no reason to add fat to your bag, and at least 1 definite reason to not add it.
A couple of things here. First, osmosis is more or less by definition a surface phenomenon because you've got to have a semipermeable membrane for it to happen at all. But that's kinda a side issue since osmosis is effectively irrelevant here. When you put salt on meat and it draws water out that's mostly diffusion at work, not osmosis. There's some small portion of the water that's actually being drawn out from the cells on the very surface of the meat, but that's rounding error compared to the water that's coming e.g. from between the muscle fibres, and none of that is due to osmosis. And effectively all the transport back into the meat is pure diffusion.

But all that diffusion is almost entirely at the surface as well. Ever cured a piece of meat? Observed how you can literally pack a piece of meat in salt and yet it still takes weeks or months to dry out? That's because the diffusion of salt through the meat is that slow. And salt is pretty small and well-behaved so those Na+s and Cl-s get transported about as well and as quickly as anything will. Certainly more quickly than any bigass organosulfur compounds (like you get out of aliums) or god help you diterpenoids (from e.g. rosemary or some of the fat-soluble poo poo in the meat). So no, really, all that diffusion is primarily a surface phenomenon.

And I want to point out, again, that I'm not arguing that you should add butter (or anything else) to the bag when you're putting meat in the puddle machine. Just that people keep throwing out theoretically science-y sounding arguments that contain fundamental errors.