Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Escobarbarian posted:

Literally suggesting that the only reason your lead was able to become the good, strong person he is and has been over decades and decades of television, books, audios, whatever, only become the yes flawed but overall inspiring, brave man he is, is because this one companion from 50 years in who hasn't even been there a full season and is still far from fully drawn as a character was supportive to him as a scared child, is such a loving insulting thing to do to a long-established franchise in my eyes. It's just.....it's so lovely.

She had just learned it from him so it's at worst a pre-destination paradox. It's not Clara coming in from left field to change the Doctor's future, it's the Doctor learning, and influencing himself, inadvertently, through the use of his companions - which is the loving theme of the 50 years of the show.

It's not an insult, it's a god drat love letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

I'm guessing you've never seen the early Hartnell serials?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quoting for a new page.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I absolutely loved Listen the first time it aired. When I re-watched it now, knowing what was going to happen, the cracks really started to show. Some things just don't make any sense given the resolution, like the doctor writing on his own chalkboard or everyone for some reason having that dream.

I can forgive it a lot, though, because it of how it continues the examination of the Doctor's flawed character as we travel from Into the Dalek's anger, though pride in Sherwood, to irrational terror.

But that speech Clara gave.. was definitely way too long and mostly unnecessary.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 18, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

She had just learned it from him so it's at worst a pre-destination paradox. It's not Clara coming in from left field to change the Doctor's future, it's the Doctor learning, and influencing himself, inadvertently, through the use of his companions - which is the loving theme of the 50 years of the show.

It's not an insult, it's a god drat love letter.

Obviously I know it's not intended to piss on anything but regardless of the intentions it just to me is a quintessentially not done thing. Even if she was inspired by him to begin with she still did that thing. She still has that importance assigned to her, and it isn't earned at all.

When I brought this up in the main thread a while ago (which was pretty much my way of finding out if I was going to be able to bring it up in here without immediately getting jumped on by those of you who love to take personal offence from criticism of your favourite science fiction television writer) there were a couple of people in support of it and no disagreements so I know I'm not alone here.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Listen is what happens when you indulge in faux-sophistication waaay too much and end up sniffing your own farts.
Faux-sophistication and thinking about itself out loud has never worked out for this show.
Maybe Midnight, since it, was, in the end, a closed space horror, instead of play pretend with the structure.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I actually can't remember much about this one, in contrast to every other episode this season. Maybe it was good? :shrug:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I think this episode is the introduction and first appearance of the terrible loving sparkly shirt and so it should be judged on those merits alone

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Espilae posted:

I think this episode is the introduction and first appearance of the terrible loving sparkly shirt and so it should be judged on those merits alone

It's actually a jumper full of holes, but you're right, it's appalling

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That jumper is great, and so is Listen. I'd say that Listen is probably my favourite horror episode of Doctor Who, or at the very least it's tied with Blink.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Obviously I know it's not intended to piss on anything but regardless of the intentions it just to me is a quintessentially not done thing. Even if she was inspired by him to begin with she still did that thing. She still has that importance assigned to her, and it isn't earned at all.

When I brought this up in the main thread a while ago (which was pretty much my way of finding out if I was going to be able to bring it up in here without immediately getting jumped on by those of you who love to take personal offence from criticism of your favourite science fiction television writer) there were a couple of people in support of it and no disagreements so I know I'm not alone here.

I understand this interpretation, but I like to think that it's more likely that this one speech given to him on a sleepless night isn't actually the root of everything the doctor is. In fact that's highly unlikely.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think Clara's speech at the end was unnecessary but the scary bits were well done (the end of the universe was a million times better portrayed than in Utopia) and the ending reveal that there was no monster was pretty great. To my mind the most egregious sin the episode commits is the Doctor wondering about "perfect hiding" which is a very unscientific way to put it for a man who's so into learning he's covered his Tardis in blackboards and textbooks, and also ignores the many species of animal which are at least as good at hiding as a puffer fish is at defending itself, but then it's easy enough to think of that in a gap in the Doctor's logic since the whole episode is about him not quite thinking straight.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I see the "Moffatt is arrogant and wants his ideas all over the show" argument a lot and it annoys the piss out of me. He's the showrunner, he can make whatever jokes or alterations or commentary on the history of Doctor Who he likes. It's not a sacred text, drat.

Anyway, Listen loving slays

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I think Listen was my favorite episode of Series 8. Close contest between it and one of the later episodes.

The thing I love the most is the ambiguity over what the hell was under the sheet. I like that the Doctor doesn't know everything and anything in the universe, and that there are still some things out there that are strange and unknown and terrible.

A friend of mine was upset that we didn't get to see what was under the sheet, and that just kind of ticks me off because that's the entire point of the episode. I said as much in the other Who thread the other day, but one of Moffat's worst sins for me was when he went and showed what was in the Doctor's room in the God Complex. Not explaining every little thing can be good sometimes! It keeps people theorizing and wondering and lets everyone have their own personal interpretation! When you set poo poo like that in stone it just deflates it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Barry Foster posted:

It's actually a jumper full of holes, but you're right, it's appalling

It's back for the new season too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There was a paparazzi shot of Capaldi out walking wearing a hideous pair of trousers and I think I saw those trousers in the new series trailer as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The most important thing about Listen is we get to watch Clara and Danny have a disastrous date, which is just fantastic to watch :allears:

Also the Doctor creeping out the orphanage worker with the line about disappearing coffee... then we cut to a shot revealing the Doctor stole his coffee.

2house2fly posted:

There was a paparazzi shot of Capaldi out walking wearing a hideous pair of trousers and I think I saw those trousers in the new series trailer as well.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume they're William Hartnell style trousers and I can't have a problem with that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

armoredgorilla posted:

He liked Listen, everyone.

It's kind of a divisive episode. I like a lot of the ideas, but I feel the execution of them went poorly. There's great scenes that never really connect together to be a great episode. Some people like how it plays, though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I honestly didn't realize Listen was a divisive episode, I love it so much and assumed everyone else did

The sparkly shirt must die, though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm with this dude I had no idea anyone didn't like the main brunt of the ep.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume they're William Hartnell style trousers and I can't have a problem with that.

Troughton style, actually.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The jumper isn't so bad, it's the polka dot... blouse.

copproham
Oct 27, 2010

If living things can become drawings then maybe drawings can become living things.

Ali Aces posted:

I absolutely loved Listen the first time it aired. When I re-watched it now, knowing what was going to happen, the cracks really started to show. Some things just don't make any sense given the resolution, like the doctor writing on his own chalkboard or everyone for some reason having that dream.

The whole pre-credits scene to me seemed to be more of a metaphoric microcosm of the whole episode. i didn't see it as something that actually occurred to the Doctor - rather it was a conversation he had in his own head, fuelled by his paranoia of fear and constant need for answers. The fact that it's all one big monologue to himself reinforces this I think.
The dream thing I just put down to being a primal fear... Everyone has had a dream like that, or at least has had a similar paranoia when alone in a dark bedroom. I wouldn't read too much into the specifics of it personally.

Also the jumper rules. It's his grandad outfit, and works much better than the magician's costume IMO

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I feel like with Robots of Sherwood they were trying to two things that got dropped from the final script:

1. Have Robin Hood be a robot and thus proving the Doctor right in one aspect but that seemed to disappear towards the end.
2. Have the Doctor be part of the myth of Robin Hood, which kinda fizzled out.

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.
The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Listen is just great.

e: also those posters they did for each episode were great too

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Those posters where the best thing about a season that was just so-so. Listen was one of the better episodes although I feel like the idea of the episode demanded a better one than we got.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerusalem posted:

Also the Doctor creeping out the orphanage worker with the line about disappearing coffee... then we cut to a shot revealing the Doctor stole his coffee.

This was definitely the best part.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm considering watching X-Files for the first time, should i do that sci-fi nerds this thread

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

I'm considering watching X-Files for the first time, should i do that sci-fi nerds this thread

What about us made you think we were sci-fi nerds?

You've been WATCHING Doctor Who right? What part of that is sci-fi?

Also we don't dictate what you watch. If we did you'd have much better taste in media.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Toxxupation posted:

Yes. Definitely.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Watch The X-Files after you're caught up on Doctor Who and hunger for more continuity-but-not-really, sci-fi-but-not-really adventures with a competent lady + weird dude team.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Season one is pretty good but can feel like they were still working things out. Season 2-4 or 5 are really good

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Toxxupation posted:

oh my god yes. I only ever got up to mid season four, but it's sooooooooo gooooood. I'd almost recommend just watching Jose Chung's From Outer Space, but that episode isn't as good without all the episodes that came before it. So, Toxx, after you finish s8 of Dr Who, MOST DEFINITELY WATCH X-FILES.

kant
May 12, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Watch The X-Files after you're caught up on Doctor Who and hunger for more continuity-but-not-really, sci-fi-but-not-really adventures with a competent lady + weird dude team.

Exact;y this.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

that depends, can you get oxx back to help review

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Soothing Vapors posted:

that depends, can you get oxx back to help review

I've never seen it. I can write reviews and pretend to be Oxx. :v: (Assuming Oxx hasn't seen it either)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Toxxupation posted:

yes yes yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Yes.

The X-Files is a lot like Doctor Who in that there's lots of bits of it that are just incredibly brilliant television. And there's a lot of bits that are complete dreck. And you have to pick through a lot of it to find out what is what.

• Locked thread