Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Jimbozig posted:

Reading about Fake Artist goes to New York and how the Chooser+Fake win if the Fake manages to guess the right answer, and how the odds of that are high if the word is simple, shouldn't the Chooser always pick a really easy word and count on the fake just guessing it even if they get found out?

Don't play FAGtoNY to win. Play to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Or you could play Pictomania and play a drawing game where you do both.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Oldstench posted:

winning is fun

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I'm hanging with friends tonight, and I fear we may wind up playing munchkin. Someone just bought it and is intent on playing it. I'll be bringing some actual good games and will trying my best to ensure we play as little munchkin as possible, but it'll probably happen at least once. Any suggestions for rule changes to make it less terrible?

The best way to play Munchkin is to treat as a bunch of D&D jokes for everyone to laugh at. The best way to achieve that is forget about the win condition written in the rules, instead just play for a particular amount of time. Maybe say highest level at the end is the winner if you think people need an actual "win condition" instead of being able to figure out some motivation themselves.

It'll never be a good game, but you can make it at least tolerable until the jokes get old.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I've heard good things about the Lord of the Rings LCG, though I've only played it once long ago so I don't really remember much.

It's excellent and 2 player is actually the ideal number even though it does 1-4.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I will echo the sentiments that LOTR is excellent. We have a thread for LCGs, including LOTR, if you have any questions about it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Oldstench posted:

I'm just asking because surely a little tweak of the scoring system could fix that. Like giving the fake points for guessing after being found out but not the chooser. Then the chooser only wants the fake not to be found out.

Like Pictomania's scoring system has all the incentives in the right place to make people play for fun. You wouldn't have to change the gameplay, only the incentives.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oldstench posted:

That really is the most unfortunate acronym.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Jimbozig posted:

I'm just asking because surely a little tweak of the scoring system could fix that. Like giving the fake points for guessing after being found out but not the chooser. Then the chooser only wants the fake not to be found out.

Like Pictomania's scoring system has all the incentives in the right place to make people play for fun. You wouldn't have to change the gameplay, only the incentives.

Everyone gets to be the quizmaster and gets to choose the fake artist. The QM and FA get 2 pts per correct fake/guess. A smart QM will select the player with the lowest score to be the FA so they can't win if they successfully fake/win.

Regarding selection of words, the rules state "It’s important to choose an easy title in order to help the fake artist." So the game is designed with easier words in mind. The game also suggests playing to 5 points. I think it's better to play 1 point per player with 5 being the minimum.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Edit: actually, I think I found a solution to my storage problem.
Nevermind!

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 18, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Any of you folk play La Granja? Seems pretty neat with the GtR/Bruges cards do multiple things on euro farming engine builder platform. People seem to like it but it doesn't have the buzz of something coming from Alea or Hans Im Gluck

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Drone posted:

Are there any recommendations for a good 2-player co-op game? Space Alert looks like it's only fun with groups of 3 or more, same with Arkham Horror (the only time I've played that was in a group of four and it was great). I have Netrunner, but my partner and I want something that we play "together" and not necessarily against each other. I know both of those games CAN be played with only 2 people, but I'd like something that actually does it well.

I always recommend The Captain is Dead! whenever someone brings up a co-op game. I wrote an effort post about it here. An expansion just came out for it recently, which we haven't tried out yet, but I really like the game.

I'm definitely going to check out Flash Point and Ghost Story as well; my group really loves co-op games.

Skutter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 18, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Prairie Bus posted:

For the people who have played A Fake Artist Goes to New York, how do you balance it? The fake artist was caught in every game, and was very rarely able to guess the drawing by the end. It's a funny little game, but I really don't get why people have been saying it's better than Spyfall. At least in Spyfall, you only have a limited number of options.

The game master and the fake artist are on the same team. Hope this helps.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Any of you folk play La Granja? Seems pretty neat with the GtR/Bruges cards do multiple things on euro farming engine builder platform. People seem to like it but it doesn't have the buzz of something coming from Alea or Hans Im Gluck

Hoping to get it to the table today. Did a quick solo game and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Jedit posted:

That really is the most unfortunate acronym.

Grand Theft Artists 4: The Ballad of Gay Tony

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Everyone gets to be the quizmaster and gets to choose the fake artist. The QM and FA get 2 pts per correct fake/guess. A smart QM will select the player with the lowest score to be the FA so they can't win if they successfully fake/win.

Regarding selection of words, the rules state "It’s important to choose an easy title in order to help the fake artist." So the game is designed with easier words in mind. The game also suggests playing to 5 points. I think it's better to play 1 point per player with 5 being the minimum.

Oh okay, so it's not a problem, then? If the QM picks "dog" with the category "pets" then the odds of the fake being found out and unable to guess are still fairly high? I guess I'll find out soon enough when I get to play it.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The game master and the fake artist are on the same team. Hope this helps.

What made you think I didn't understand this

At the table we all agreed to keep our categories somewhat vague because we didn't want to make it too easy for the fake artist to guess, which would ruin the game in the other direction. Maybe it just needs more people, I dunno.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Prairie Bus posted:

At the table we all agreed to keep our categories somewhat vague because we didn't want to make it too easy for the fake artist to guess, which would ruin the game in the other direction. Maybe it just needs more people, I dunno.

making it vague is the artists' job! It's just like spyfall in that its up to the players to not yell things like "WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY PIRATE SHIP?" it's the same game only you get a hilarious drawing to save afterwards

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Many many moons ago, I asked the thread about this:

jivjov posted:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for money token replacements? My gaming group has a habit of slinging cash around the table a bit too wildly, and I'd be easier to handle if I had solid plastic or possibly metal coins that will make more of a noise than cardboard when they fall off the table.

And now Broken Token has delivered: http://www.thebrokentoken.com/wondrous-metal-coins-57/

Rather pricey...but man...I cannot argue with sexy metal coins for one of my favorite board games.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

Bravo for going all "what makes you think we don't know this rule, by the way we ignore this rule."

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bubble-T posted:

Welcome to board games I think? Take it slow, play a bunch of games with people before you go off and buy a base game + expansions for whatever, there's way better games out there. Splendor is almost the definition of an 'acceptable' baseline for eurogames for instance.

I think MtG trains you to spend a bunch of money on stuff that's of fleeting value and to accept kinda lovely design in a lot of ways. I've seen a lot of MtG players go through that exact Smash Up! experience because of this.

I've played a fair amount of board games, but mostly CCGs, LCGs, and miniatures. So I guess you're right about me being attracted to games I can continually buy "parts" for. The only reason I haven't joined the group of people at the shop who play the more complicated board games is because I don't want to spend two hours playing a board game when I could be drafting. But I have a feeling the guy starting up these demos will be running games in the half hour range, give or take fifteen minutes.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Bravo for going all "what makes you think we don't know this rule, by the way we ignore this rule."

That's pretty a pretty hyperbolic misunderstanding. There's no clarification on how specific the category can get - we didn't "ignore" any rule. Knowing that the QM works with the fake artist, we agreed to not use hyper-specific categories. If I'm understanding what you're saying, if your word is something like Statute of Liberty, you'd say "New York Monument" rather than "Monument?" At the time we felt like that'd deflate the game, and I still think it would. But I've only played it once, with five people, and it sounds like other people have had more success.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Got to try Forbidden Star, finally, and it was pretty fun. I was playing as the Space Marines and got my rear end kicked, unfortunately. We played with 3 players and used the setup recommended in the game. The space marines get 2 planets dead center, with two enemy objectives. I had a war going on two fronts and we all know how that ends up. :v:

I'm honestly not sure what cards to pick up with SM... some of them give bonuses only when you attack, and some of them only give you bonuses when you defend. I went the offensive upgrades but I kind of fell behind in economy, and didnt end up getting high tier combat cards or units. SM seem like a tough faction to play, but I could also be really bad. Definitely want to try again.

I also got to try a prototype game a guy is working to get on Kickstarter called The Zipang, and it didn't suck! Basically it's a risk style game in ancient Japan: Roll dice, higher number wins, defender wins ties. Claim 11 territories, win the game. That's pretty straight forward, but the fun part is in two really interesting mechanics: it's a card driven game AND it has a track around the board with a pawn you can move like in an old school board game.

What makes it interesting is each turn you either: A) play a card (which is how you attack, steal some money, or draw more cards) OR B) move your pawn around the track, which can earn you taxes from your provinces, more cards, or a bunch of effects to mess with your opponents. Fine fair enough, but this isnt just a regular board game track! Every section of the track is made up of a tile with 3 spaces, and the track is assembled randomly before the game starts. There are spaces on the board that let you rearrange the order of these tiles or even bring in new bonus tiles (Disaster, Ninja Scroll, and Festival) that add some crazy effects if you can land on them.

So it's a war game with a good element of luck, but you do have to manage how you spend your money since almost all cards require money to play them, and it's how you build castles to defend your territories. We played a 6 player game in a hour, and it still satisfied that RISK itch without being a slog, and it had a good amount of luck, but never felt too bullshit or random. Really fun, I was definitely impressed.

The board:

Some of those chunky tiles that can be swapped into the track

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Prairie Bus posted:

If I'm understanding what you're saying, if your word is something like Statute of Liberty, you'd say "New York Monument" rather than "Monument?" At the time we felt like that'd deflate the game, and I still think it would. But I've only played it once, with five people, and it sounds like other people have had more success.

Yeah, to be clear, that is my concern, too. But having not played yet, I don't know if it is justified.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

jivjov posted:

Many many moons ago, I asked the thread about this:

And now Broken Token has delivered: http://www.thebrokentoken.com/wondrous-metal-coins-57/

Rather pricey...but man...I cannot argue with sexy metal coins for one of my favorite board games.

Just get poker chips.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

BJPaskoff posted:

I've played a fair amount of board games, but mostly CCGs, LCGs, and miniatures. So I guess you're right about me being attracted to games I can continually buy "parts" for. The only reason I haven't joined the group of people at the shop who play the more complicated board games is because I don't want to spend two hours playing a board game when I could be drafting. But I have a feeling the guy starting up these demos will be running games in the half hour range, give or take fifteen minutes.

I do miss drafting MtG :)

See if someone can teach you Race for the Galaxy, that always seems to hit the mark for magic players.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

cenotaph posted:

Just get poker chips.

While that would work; that's not nearly as cool as metal coins

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Can't chip shuffle metal coins like that, case closed.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I would totally buy some nice mini chips that were blank/didn't have Hoyle poo poo on them, and that were bronze/silver/gold/red or something. I've looked into it a couple times but I end up on some weird Internet safari browsing tons of discount chip sites and just give up

Also, re: drafting MtG, I want to try drafting a netrunner cube some day. Waiting for one of these lcgs to develop into a good cube drafting format and I'll be in heaven. I also wish Wizards would just publish some cube of their own. I already have some cubes but it would be easier to play if other people I knew had the same cube and could learn the drafting meta

EBag
May 18, 2006

Those coins seem pretty overpriced... just did a quick search and found these ones looking for the Tuscany coins for much cheaper, not sure if there are better deals out there though.

http://www.meeplesource.com/products.php?filter=coins

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

jivjov posted:

While that would work; that's not nearly as cool as metal coins

They're also not $1 each nerdbait.

silvergoose posted:

Can't chip shuffle metal coins like that, case closed.
Aside from this, poker chips own because they're really easy to handle, stackable, and you don't have to have denominations printed on them so you can just say what the value is based on what game you're playing.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think I'm going to pick up the LoTR LCG to play with my friend and potentially SO. Anything I should know ahead of time? Should I wait to pick up any expansions?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

As an Australian the idea of paying $1 for specially made metal coin is hilarious:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bubble-T posted:

I do miss drafting MtG :)

See if someone can teach you Race for the Galaxy, that always seems to hit the mark for magic players.

Not for me, it felt way too much like solitaire. I heard the expansions adds actual interaction between players, but it bored me enough to put me off it. There was another game with a sci-fi space exploration angle that I really liked though, but I can't remember the name. It used tiny little ships as tokens, and the action cards had a "leader" and a "follower" role where you'd get the maximum bonuses if you led an action, and a smaller bonus if you followed the leader... anyone know what I'm talking about?

ETB posted:

I think I'm going to pick up the LoTR LCG to play with my friend and potentially SO. Anything I should know ahead of time? Should I wait to pick up any expansions?

There's an LCG thread that might be better for this! But in my experience, LCGs feel like board games until you start adding expansions. Then the possibilities for deckbuilding become exponentially greater and it feels more like a CCG. You also need a dedicated playgroup, because the barrier to entry and game complexity grows with each expansion.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

Not for me, it felt way too much like solitaire. I heard the expansions adds actual interaction between players, but it bored me enough to put me off it. There was another game with a sci-fi space exploration angle that I really liked though, but I can't remember the name. It used tiny little ships as tokens, and the action cards had a "leader" and a "follower" role where you'd get the maximum bonuses if you led an action, and a smaller bonus if you followed the leader... anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ah, OK. The expansions don't really add interaction - occasionally you can steal or destroy a planet but it's a pretty rare thing. I don't know why people always say that about Race.

Sounds like you're talking about Eminent Domain which is pretty highly recommended (with the expansion) by people here.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bubble-T posted:

Ah, OK. The expansions don't really add interaction - occasionally you can steal or destroy a planet but it's a pretty rare thing. I don't know why people always say that about Race.

Sounds like you're talking about Eminent Domain which is pretty highly recommended (with the expansion) by people here.

That's the one! It was a lot of fun.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Recommendation request for my wife:

She generally doesn't care about theme that much but lately we've found she enjoys the whole building a home + raising sheep thing. Unfortunately I don't like Rosenberg games that much outside of Le Havre, and Glen More isn't great for 2 players. I think she likes spatial play, light interaction and engine building.

Her favourite games are Race for the Galaxy, Dungeon Lords, Carcassonne, Boggle, Puzzle Strike, Ghost Stories. Keyflower is fine at 4+ but too cutthroat at 2. She really disliked Robinson Crusoe, Chaos in the Old World, Pax Porfiriana.

We've played Ora et Labora, Caverna + Agricola lately. I think she likes Agricola the most but doesn't like that you rarely get to use many of your 'engine' cards and the game doesn't let you build something that feels like a completed farm. In her words she wants it to be 'longer' but I don't think that means strictly a 3+ hour game, more that you get to actually play out your options. The biggest strike against Caverna/Ora is that they have too many options right from the start.

Ideas?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Bubble-T posted:

Recommendation request for my wife:

She generally doesn't care about theme that much but lately we've found she enjoys the whole building a home + raising sheep thing. Unfortunately I don't like Rosenberg games that much outside of Le Havre, and Glen More isn't great for 2 players. I think she likes spatial play, light interaction and engine building.

Her favourite games are Race for the Galaxy, Dungeon Lords, Carcassonne, Boggle, Puzzle Strike, Ghost Stories. Keyflower is fine at 4+ but too cutthroat at 2. She really disliked Robinson Crusoe, Chaos in the Old World, Pax Porfiriana.

We've played Ora et Labora, Caverna + Agricola lately. I think she likes Agricola the most but doesn't like that you rarely get to use many of your 'engine' cards and the game doesn't let you build something that feels like a completed farm. In her words she wants it to be 'longer' but I don't think that means strictly a 3+ hour game, more that you get to actually play out your options. The biggest strike against Caverna/Ora is that they have too many options right from the start.

Ideas?

Just to clarify, it sounds like she wants an engine game that lets you engine for a bit after it's set up?

Dominion

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

ETB posted:

There's a nice reference sheet over here that should help you with getting the rules down. As for expansions, I'd probably wait until you're sure you like the game. After that, if you're fans of the books, I'd go for the Saga Deluxe expansions, otherwise, I'd just look at what themes are in each cycle and get what tickles your fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

OmegaGoo posted:

Just to clarify, it sounds like she wants an engine game that lets you engine for a bit after it's set up?

Dominion

She does like dominion but we haven't played out Puzzle Strike (or Paperback now that I think about it) yet and I was hoping for something with more of a sheep-in-your-home feeling.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 19, 2015