Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

a wildfire in California was burning the highway and houses but the firefighting planes had to abort because the sky was full of loving camera drones and they're not allowed to fly near them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hasters posted:

loving idiot Greg Muender had a bad week. This chucklefuck rented his car out through a "sharing" service and the renter left it on the side of the road, tank empty, tires worn smooth, and full of sand. Now a sane person might say "I guess that's the reason that car rental companies exist." and take it as a lesson learned; but this is Silicon Valley so his proposed solution to abuses like this is for someone, Google, to build a service that gathers information from all the "sharing" and social media sites and tracks people to make sure they are trustworthy. What could go possibly go wrong with a pervasive, privately run, unaccountable surveillance apparatus with the ability to limit your purchase of goods and services?

https://pando.com/2015/07/17/what-happens-when-sharing-economy-goes-wrong/75084edb603c3f52ddf067c45bbaa7520dec42f2/

the only thing wrong with the nsa is that it's funded by taxes not vc

all hail the sharing (information about our neighbors) economy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Hasters posted:

loving idiot Greg Muender had a bad week. This chucklefuck rented his car out through a "sharing" service and the renter left it on the side of the road, tank empty, tires worn smooth, and full of sand. Now a sane person might say "I guess that's the reason that car rental companies exist." and take it as a lesson learned; but this is Silicon Valley so his proposed solution to abuses like this is for someone, Google, to build a service that gathers information from all the "sharing" and social media sites and tracks people to make sure they are trustworthy. What could go possibly go wrong with a pervasive, privately run, unaccountable surveillance apparatus with the ability to limit your purchase of goods and services?

https://pando.com/2015/07/17/what-happens-when-sharing-economy-goes-wrong/75084edb603c3f52ddf067c45bbaa7520dec42f2/

"Clearly he didn’t care to adhere to the expectations of the sharing economy."

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

you know what, i'm ok with the "sharing economy" as long as it never leaves california and idiots like this keep getting viciously owned by it

as long as i can watch

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

oh my god the entire article is great

quote:

Jim was my expected inevitability. In a game of Russian roulette, he was the bullet that fell into the chamber just before the trigger was pulled. Jim was the alarm clock that shook me violently awake into the real world, a society where not all of its citizens are respectful and courteous.

quote:

What’s particularly infuriating about the experience is the financial burden that I am left with. RelayRides has been helpful in the repair process and I will be reimbursed for the costs of most of the damage. However, they weren’t able to make the situation absolutely and completely mitigated.

Given that the clutch is a “wearable” item, they only offered to pay for a prorated portion. The shop bill was $2,300, and I’m unfortunately stuck with $900 of that. Since beginning to rent my car out on a regular basis, I’ve only earned $554.17. The math doesn’t look attractive. As of this moment, I'm nearly $350 in the hole.

quote:

Jim represents the person who does not belong in the sharing economy.

quote:

However, this siloed approach has one fundamental flaw — Jim can still go rent a car from other peer-to-peer rental platforms like Getaround and FlightCar without restriction. Heck, he can even go score a place on Airbnb to host a raging party, or rent a jetski on Fun2Rent and sink it off the coast of Mexico.

quote:

If we don’t protect the sanctity of the sharing economy, it becomes nothing more than a commodity game. It will no longer be about utilizing idle resources, forming friendships, and providing delightful experiences. Owners will be in it for the income, and renters will use it for the cost savings.

ahahahahahahahhaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Someone needs to write a modern day On The Road about a group of friends that tears around the country doing poo poo like this. Renting an AirBNB and throwing a wild jazz party, getting a car via RelayRides and thrashing it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

uncurable mlady posted:

If we don’t protect the sanctity of the sharing economy, it becomes nothing more than a commodity game. It will no longer be about utilizing idle resources, forming friendships, and providing delightful experiences. Owners will be in it for the income, and renters will use it for the cost savings.

we must secure the sancitity of the sharing economy, and a future for manchildren

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Luigi Thirty posted:

a wildfire in California was burning the highway and houses but the firefighting planes had to abort because the sky was full of loving camera drones and they're not allowed to fly near them

lol

my friend works on an oil tanker, at one point they were approaching a U.S. port on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon and had no about three drones above their deck, including one that went by the bridge window, about three feet away

I can't see why we need to regulate those things, amateurs flying electrical machines right above an oil tanker can't possibly be an issue

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I finally understand why the second amendment exists

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

we must secure the sancitity of the sharing economy, and a future for manchildren

because the sanctity of the white sharing economy must not perish from the earth

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Tusen Takk posted:

i was going to do computer engineering but then i took the intro to electrical engineering and while it was cool and good i was really, really bad at it

so i decided to go with coding because i enjoy it, i understand it, and i also am a masochist

yea same mostly. the EE classes were really interesting and cool but I couldn't do the math and did not do well in the classes. so I did poli sci and now I program computes. :[

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember in 2002 when the hot poo poo was the video of dudes thrashing a rental car with nitrous on a drag strip

in 2015 the hot poo poo is PAID articles detailing how a guy became a rental car company and got his poo poo thrashed

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bell Labs engineer predicting the future in 1948:

quote:

...whenever a baby is born anywhere in the world, he is given at birth a... telephone number for life [and]... a watch-like device with ten little buttons on one side and a screen on the other.... when he wishes to talk with anyone in the world, he will pull out the device and [call] his friend. Then turning the device over, he will hear the voice of his friend and see his face on the screen, in color and in three dimensions. If he does not see and hear him he will know that the friend is dead.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

remember in 2002 when the hot poo poo was the video of dudes thrashing a rental car with nitrous on a drag strip

in 2015 the hot poo poo is PAID articles detailing how a guy became a rental car company and got his poo poo thrashed

I pay for Pando to support the schadenfreude economy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

eschaton posted:

I pay for Pando to support the schadenfreude economy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
i prefer others to pay for my ability to schadenfreude the hell out of the sharing economy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

quote:

Five drones were initially spotted over the fire, which consumed five homes and more than a dozen cars as motorists frantically fled on foot through the Cajon Pass.

Two drones actually gave chase to air units, and the incident delayed response by about 15 to 20 minutes, according to Battalion Chief Marc Peebles of San Bernardino County Fire Department.

jfc

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Hasters posted:

locust economoy companies are very good at finding naive schlubs to bear the cost of their business. greg muender seems like quite the mark.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i am in favor of charging these chucklefucks with the full cost of the flights and damage done due to the uncontrolled fire.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

i am in favor of charging these chucklefucks with the full cost of the flights and damage done due to the uncontrolled fire.

i am in favor of designating them as terrorists and launching drone strikes within the usa

in fact let's just redefine california as part of afghanistan and get going

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
would be cool if there was a like a cool EMP move that made a cool rippling bubble and a bassy sound that the feds deployed that disabled all the drones at once. that would own. big fire? swaming with drones? *cool sound effect and blue tinted bubble* bring in the planes jed!!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fight fires with the blood of manchildren.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
the gods are angry. we must sacrifice more virgins.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
just deploy gun drones to annihilate their weaker cousins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

could be the next Bitcoin simulator

luigi release the game

lol my plan is just to cram it full of dumb situations that i read in articles extrapolated for maximum stupidity. like in 2016, a camera drone nearly kills you trying to take photos for a blog, in 2020 the sky is full of amazon drones delivering packages, and in 2025 squads of drones are flying around like world war 2 bombers with armed drones protecting amazon drones from pirate drones

An Industry Forever Masturbating.z8 posted:

simulate
You activate the simulation feature of the Cumulus headset. The view you see turns a bright enough white to hurt your eyes. A few seconds later, the white light dissolves to...

Your Apartment
This is your nice little first-floor apartment. The walls are a freshly-painted white, with a door leading to the single bedroom to the east. The kitchenette has been cleaned up already but the whole place smells like waffles. There's a television with talking heads blabbing about political issues that you don't care about facing the kitchen as well.

You can see Amanda here.

Amanda smiles at you when she sees you. "Good morning! Finally up for work, huh?" She puts her cell phone away. "Don't worry, I called the Uber for you since you took so long in the shower. The app said he'd be here in 15 minutes. Looks like you're all ready to go."

>wait 20 minutes
It is now 7:51 am.

Amanda looks at her phone, puzzled. "The guy was supposed to be here by now..."

>look at watch
Your Casio digital watch says that it is currently 7:51 am on December 1, 2016.

>west

Apartment Complex
Low-rise apartment buildings are gathered around a central courtyard. A circular road allows cars to go in and out of the complex. There's a large fountain in the center with a carved mermaid spitting water into the air.

>wait 5 minutes
A Prius rolls down the circle and comes to a stop in front of you. The driver's side window is down and the driver is yelling. "Get in here already! I'm losing money waiting for you! I gotta make my payments, you know!"

It is now 7:58 am.

>get in car
You wedge yourself into the back seat of the electric car. As soon as the door closes, the driver floors it out of the apartment complex.

Back Seat
You're in the back seat of a Prius. It looks fancy and high-tech for a car, but there isn't very much leg room. The driver has both forward seats pretty far back.

>driver, get out
The driver yells "CASTLE DOCTRINE! CASTLE DOCTRINE!" and perforates you with the pistol that he kept in his glove compartment.

You hear Jason say, "terminating the simulation! This will be disorienting, so try not to barf." The world spins and fades to white with a loud bang. You rip the headset off your head.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

loving hell

:ssj:

the part where they were loving tailing/flying around the firefighters is just infuriating.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thanks so whoever recommended that sharing economy 3 part podcast several hundred pages ago. i've listened to the first part and half of the second and the story with the tech bros not liking uber because they don't realize how cool he is and the story of a chipotle line full of delivery guys gave me a headache

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I like to imagine one of the firefighter planes just going lol and dumping several swimming pools of water on the drones, killing them all.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I like to imagine one of the firefighter planes just going lol and dumping several swimming pools of water on the drones, killing them all.

this but the people who were controlling the drones

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

duTrieux. posted:

locust economoy

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i'm p. sure the reason for banning all airflights of any kind (including military) when a 4 oz. plastic drone is seen within 50 miles of a fire is that the fire departments don't have the money to fight them so they found an easy scapegoat.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i'm p. sure the reason for banning all airflights of any kind (including military) when a 4 oz. plastic drone is seen within 50 miles of a fire is that the fire departments don't have the money to fight them so they found an easy scapegoat.

FAA regulations say if a drone is in uncontrolled airspace it's closed to fixed-wing aircraft due to the risk of the drone striking the plane and causing it to crash I think

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i mean, i'm sure that a butterfly can take down the f-35, but the other helicopters and planes that do that stuff are made of a bit firmer stuff that can usually take a hit from a handful of plastic parts that weigh less than a rodent

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

when people say 'drones' that covres devices which range from the tiny ones you buy at the mall to aluminum-frame kits with enough mass to gently caress up light aircraft and engines.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the flights were already on their way and had to dump their loads (heh) because they cant actually land with all that weight or something so one retarded drone operator can cause a colossal amount of waste

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it's the future

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i mean, i'm sure that a butterfly can take down the f-35, but the other helicopters and planes that do that stuff are made of a bit firmer stuff that can usually take a hit from a handful of plastic parts that weigh less than a rodent

Hitting a plastic and metal object at 200mph sucks no matter where it hits, dude. And you think the pilots should be shouldered with this risk? Go jiggle your thrustmaster, bucko!

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
sure, if someone is using a chinese replica of a RQ-4 GlobalHawk and dive-bombing fire command, then yeah that's obvs a big problem, but everyone is flipping out over those Mattel SkyDancers being pulled by infants in their backyard is a little suspicious.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Beast of Bourbon posted:

sure, if someone is using a chinese replica of a RQ-4 GlobalHawk and dive-bombing fire command, then yeah that's obvs a big problem, but everyone is flipping out over those Mattel SkyDancers being pulled by infants in their backyard is a little suspicious.

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol my plan is just to cram it full of dumb situations that i read in articles extrapolated for maximum stupidity. like in 2016, a camera drone nearly kills you trying to take photos for a blog, in 2020 the sky is full of amazon drones delivering packages, and in 2025 squads of drones are flying around like world war 2 bombers with armed drones protecting amazon drones from pirate drones

Lol

• Locked thread