Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

you're working for DoC? if you don't mind my asking whereabouts are you located? South Island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hahahahaha. Glenn Defense Marine hosed us so hard every southeast Asian port we pulled in to. From lovely rigging on barges that came loose and caused damage to the ship to attempting to give us rotten and spoiled food when we got stores. The husbanding agent spent thousands on taking the disbursing officer and a few of us out to dinner and other poo poo. It was absolutely insane but I did get to try some of that cat poo poo coffee in Thailand as a result.

I'm surprised that $20 million is all they're saying GDM siphoned off.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Two Finger posted:

you're working for DoC? if you don't mind my asking whereabouts are you located? South Island?

I ain't working for them, I won a thing at a raffle. I got to personally attend a hatching at Devonport.

Took a lot longer than expected, though.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You promoted a guy named Pimpo to admiral in the supply services, what the gently caress did you think was going to happen?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So basically, they can't be seriously punished for being corrupt fucks.
They can be hit with criminal charges if the state can make a case, but that requires due process n' poo poo. Administratively the most that can be done is the aforementioned reduction in rank and forced retirement.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's fairly to insanely gay how the military handles discipline in general

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was absolutely insane but I did get to try some of that cat poo poo coffee in Thailand as a result.

:catstare: is that suppose to be a good thing?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

They can be hit with criminal charges if the state can make a case, but that requires due process n' poo poo. Administratively the most that can be done is the aforementioned reduction in rank and forced retirement.

Once you get a star you're bulletproof really. Unless you rape and murder a small boy, you'll be retiring on a $5-6000 pension.
Hang all flag/general officers. You have to be a special kind of rear end in a top hat to get a star.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

WarpedNaba posted:

I ain't working for them, I won a thing at a raffle. I got to personally attend a hatching at Devonport.

Took a lot longer than expected, though.

oh yeah? that's a pretty cool prize, wasn't really aware there were any at Devonport, have they got a nesting/hatching/whatever there? Is it part of the zoo?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

It's not actually cats, but cervals or something like that. They eat the coffee berries and poo poo out the seeds. Those get cleaned and ground up into some of the most expensive and delicious coffee on the planet.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

civet coffee is hillariously expensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

quote:

Kopi luwak is one of the most expensive coffees in the world, selling for between US$100 and $600 per pound in 2010.[1]

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
"Pimpo, a supply officer, was singled out for also accepting sightseeing and shopping tours from the contractor, as well as lodging for himself and other officers while in Hong Kong."

God what a name.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Stultus Maximus posted:

Once you get a star you're bulletproof really. Unless you rape and murder a small boy, you'll be retiring on a $5-6000 pension.
Hang all flag/general officers. You have to be a special kind of rear end in a top hat to get a star.

more like $10k/mo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So basically, they can't be seriously punished for being corrupt fucks.

Barring criminal action, no. But neither can anyone else. They're being forced to retire. People get mad at that, but it would be the same thing for an enlisted dude in a position where he could retire. The problem is that the officers getting in trouble for this (and being high enough profile for you to care) are senior enough to retire. You don't hear about the LTs being discharged or sent to prison, or rarely the captains getting busted to Lt and booted. Nobody cares, it doesn't make the news. When an O-6+ gets busted, it makes the news, but he's got 25 years under his belt so he retires. A 25-year E-9 would retire, too. But 95% of the cases where people get reamed are guys that don't have retirement time. The retirement thing is a non-issue. By law they earned it. The idiot 26 year old who loses all his stripes on the way out the door didn't. Next time don't get caught until you've been in for 20.

Edit: I totally forgot about the JAG :lol:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 19, 2015

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Melthir posted:

"Pimpo, a supply officer, was singled out for also accepting sightseeing and shopping tours from the contractor, as well as lodging for himself and other officers while in Hong Kong."

God what a name.

thats rear admiral pimpo to you :haw:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Then there's also this guy.

Two star AF JAG, forced to retire as an O-6 because once he put on his first star he basically spent all his time having affairs and sexually harassing subordinates.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sir, we got duped by the contractor again.

Piiiimpoooooooo!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hahahahaha. Glenn Defense Marine hosed us so hard every southeast Asian port we pulled in to. From lovely rigging on barges that came loose and caused damage to the ship to attempting to give us rotten and spoiled food when we got stores. The husbanding agent spent thousands on taking the disbursing officer and a few of us out to dinner and other poo poo. It was absolutely insane but I did get to try some of that cat poo poo coffee in Thailand as a result.

I'm surprised that $20 million is all they're saying GDM siphoned off.

The investigation is ongoing. Incidentally, every husbanding agent/agency I've ever worked with was exactly that shady. Glenn Defense got caught, but it's basically all of them.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Two Finger posted:

oh yeah? that's a pretty cool prize, wasn't really aware there were any at Devonport, have they got a nesting/hatching/whatever there? Is it part of the zoo?

They had it in a separate room, from what I saw the Devonport DoC was more concerned with the port waters and marine life than terrestrial stuff. Maybe the others were full?

brains
May 12, 2004

psydude posted:

Apparently the KKK is rallying in Charleston today to protest the Confederate flag removal.

Ways to tell you're on the wrong side of history.

this is almost as good as the navy recruiter that took it upon himself to bring a handgun to the office and promptly shot himself.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

krispykremessuck posted:

The investigation is ongoing. Incidentally, every husbanding agent/agency I've ever worked with was exactly that shady. Glenn Defense got caught, but it's basically all of them.

Yeah. It's basically this, but what hosed GDM and all off these flags hard is that the shadiness extended way past simple extortion and went all the way to 7th Fleet Headquarters where Fat Leonard was able to bribe the OPS staff into sending ships to his ports.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

krispykremessuck posted:

I feel like you can extrapolate this to every defense contractor ever.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I feel like you can extrapolate this to every defense contractor ever.

While that's true, the amount of graft involved in ship's husbanding is higher than the usual. When I was arranging port services for JIATF-S missions I always had to keep a really close eye on what actual service/supplies were being arranged, and with one particular agent I had to make sure I was the only one that talked to the guy.

My work with them was small time, maybe $15-20k per day, and I'd still regularly find them trying to sneak in $5-10k worth of additional services that we neither needed, nor requested. Scale that up from my tiny ship to a carrier group, then give them inside information, and you can imagine how much might get tacked on. Add into the mix shady acquisitions people, or worse, people that don't know what or who they're dealing with and what to look for, and you end up with situations like what happened with GDM.

My first ever experience with it was going with my boss at the time who was the disbursing officer to deliver $150k in cash. When I started dealing with it directly in third world countries, it was somehow worse without involving the cash. Imagine 6,000 gallons of DFM for >$100k.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Ya that's particularly egregious. I don't think mil acquisitions differ that much from a lot of other b2b megaprojects, either government or private. Problems with scope, complexity, planning, etc. will bring most undercapacity organizations down to their knees, and graft, though a big problem in isolation, often plays only a minor part in cost overruns on a macro scale.

A 400% markup on a commodity is straight up fraud.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Koesj posted:

Ya that's particularly egregious. I don't think mil acquisitions differ that much from a lot of other b2b megaprojects, either government or private. Problems with scope, complexity, planning, etc. will bring most undercapacity organizations down to their knees, and graft, though a big problem in isolation, often plays only a minor part in cost overruns on a macro scale.

The problem in that specific scenario was that we were directed there by JIATF-S which left us no choice, and there weren't any other options. We were below our minimum fueling level and by instruction couldn't get underway or remain in the right readiness status because of it.

That was the contract vendor and there were some specific logistical concerns with getting the fuel truck there. Not big enough to account for the insane markup, but this was a place where pumping down our CHT was costing us $4000 per truck and rolloff dumpsters were also some ridiculous amount. That poo poo is par for the course with husbanding agents, though. Our port-call schedule was rarely based on our choice because of the nature of inter-agency/international cooperation.

A three and a half week long port call in GTMO with repair services and expedited delivery of parts cost us less than one day in that particular port. Mil acquisitions only differ in that the agencies subject to the FAR/DFAR and other acquisitions supplemental instructions have next to no control over how those laws/rules are written. See the Buy American Act for a particular egregious and stupidly complicated method of trying to keep business within the United States. Same with the Service Contract Act and Small Business Set-Aside rules.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 19, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Rear Admiral Pimpo sounds like a joke name, and not even a very good one

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Frontline did a pretty good piece on ISIS, focusing on women...the focus of the episode was on a Yazidi man who runs an underground railroad to get Yazidi women/children out of slavery in ISIS held territory. Other things of note include:

- Interview with an unrepentant woman who was a member of the all-women ISIS morality brigade in Raqqa
- Pretty nuts hidden camera footage that some activists took in Raqqa ("covertly filming atrocities in ISIS held territory" would be on the list of jobs you could not pay me enough money to do)
- Video of a teenage girl in Syria getting literally stoned to death for "adultery," with her father casting the first stone.
- A toddler who was rescued pulling a finger across her throat when her mom asks her what ISIS did to the others that were held captive with them.
- Said mom having a PTSD episode/panic attack on camera about 20 seconds later into the interview.
- Interview with an 18 year old who was repeatedly gang raped by an ISIS commander and his bodyguards

Most of it is probably nothing new to most GiP regulars, but it's still worth a watch, especially for the underground railroad portions. The phone calls from the women who are still being held captive pleading to get rescued are particularly gut-wrenching.

The piece is up on Frontline's website, here's an interview from NPR with the guy who reported the piece.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
But we totally don't need to put more American boots on the ground to fight them. The only lesson the Pentagon seems to have learned in the last decade is that you can blow things up from the air. Completely unlearned the fact that you need boots on the ground.

I get that they don't want to send troops back to the poo poo stain that is the Mid East, but destroying ISIL is something that the US should get behind.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Rear Admiral Pimpo sounds like a joke name, and not even a very good one

Commander Johnny Chimpo

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Coffeehitler posted:

But we totally don't need to put more American boots on the ground to fight them. The only lesson the Pentagon seems to have learned in the last decade is that you can blow things up from the air. Completely unlearned the fact that you need boots on the ground.

I get that they don't want to send troops back to the poo poo stain that is the Mid East, but destroying ISIL is something that the US should get behind.

I agree with this in theory, but we just spent 13 years loving around in the middle east and id rather not go back. I know some gipers would be like lol sign me up contracting $$$ but id be curious whod be behind reinvading, again (again).

E: I as an American, not former mil.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Commander Johnny Chimpo

Way to be racist

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-lockheed-buying-sikorsky-0720-20150719-story.html

Lockheed is buying out Sikorsky

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Koesj posted:

The government always pays more due to acquisitions guidelines that favor politics over performance and the fact that nobody actually enjoys working with the government.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jesus. It'll only be Boeing and Lockheed for practically every US military aircraft contract.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

holocaust bloopers posted:

Jesus. It'll only be Boeing and Lockheed for practically every US military aircraft contract.

pratt and whitney is still poking around with the f-35 engine lol

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Coffeehitler posted:

Because the last time we put American boots on the ground to liberate people from an oppressive regime in the Middle East it went really well.

ISIL does not rise to the level of existential threat that justifies (or at least should be the threshold for justifying) the involvement of major US combat operations.

If your threshold for "send American military to place x" is "stop bad people from doing bad things," I've got news for you, we need to invade basically all of Africa.

As far as primes go NG is still around...which is why I strongly suspect they're going to get the LRS-B contract. Without LRS-B they will basically cease to be a viable prime on major aerospace projects going into the future. Without it they will still have a significant presence as a sub as well as all the other poo poo they do (avionics/radars, cyber, etc)....but DoD doesn't want to live in a world where their only options for a new fighter/bomber/tanker/etc are Boeing and LM.

And it's important to note that it's not like Sikorsky was independent, they were already bought up by UTC several years back (same company that owns Pratt). So this is less "oh no more consolidation of the US defense industry" and more "one slightly less major player sold off its helo division to another slightly more major player."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
^^^Good call. I forgot Northrop hasn't been absorbed yet.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

pratt and whitney is still poking around with the f-35 engine lol

Well there's still a few engine contractors out there because it's such a specialized are requiring significant R&D to even be competitive. P&W, Rolls Royce, and GE are the big three. One of the US's significant advantage in aerospace development is turbine tech. We could give Russia and the Chinese blueprints on the F-35 motor and they'd still be dumbfounded on how to actually build it.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Coffeehitler posted:

The only lesson the Pentagon seems to have learned in the last decade is that you can blow things up from the air. Completely unlearned the fact that you need boots on the ground.

If I had a cat, I would put him in a little prussian uniform, name him Snarl von Claws-witz and use his little fuzzy paws to hammer out stupid poo poo like this post.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Northrop and BAE still exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

If you've never seen legal markups of 400%, I can only assume you've never worked in the spa industry.

• Locked thread