Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
In car tyre air chat:

You don't just fill the tyres at home, using a manual pump?

I bought one in case I needed to fill a tyre in case of an emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sic Semper Goon posted:

In car tyre air chat:

I always wondered if I could use my bike pump to fill my car tires. I mean, in theory I don't see why not, it would just take a lot of time to move all that air. It's not like it can't handle the pressures, most bikes are pumped to twice that of a car.

My brother bought me a neat little emergency bag from Costco when I got my first car, it has a bunch of nice little things including an air pump that plugs into your cigarette lighter. I haven't tried using it but it's nice to know it's there in a bind.

e:

bad with money: I once bought an air compressor for ease of cleaning computers because I got tired of buying canned air all the time (at the time I was doing a lot of favors for friends and family and was burning through tons of canned air). Used it to fill my car/bike tires once out of principle once I realized what a mistake I made.

Now I know you can buy a little $20 handheld one that's perfect for cleaning computers.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 17, 2015

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-college-student-blows-inheritance-bert-show-205833329.html

This chick right here. I don't think she's even curable. I really wanted to find out who she was so I could punch her in the throat.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Why are you still talking to this rear end in a top hat at this point? This person doesn't deserve your attention or a second thought. Let her eat cat food in retirement and wish she had the $1.5MM+ she'd dropped in restaurants then.

I have some interesting news for you which is that many finance people who work in Manhattan can spend $2000/mo on eating out and still retire comfortably

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

lord1234 posted:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-college-student-blows-inheritance-bert-show-205833329.html

This chick right here. I don't think she's even curable. I really wanted to find out who she was so I could punch her in the throat.

She's not even in that bad of shape. Her grandparents' gift allowed her to finish 3 years of college and have some great experiences. There are a lot of people who would kill for that kind of opportunity. If her last year of school is 20k, then she only wasted 30k rather than the 90k the article implies.

The mind boggling part is where she doesn't want to take responsibility for that last 20k. She should be able to finance that no problem and graduate with slightly more than average student-loan debt. Instead it sounds like she's a Mexican standoff with her parents and the school, with her not finishing college as the result if no one blinks.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

She's not even in that bad of shape. Her grandparents' gift allowed her to finish 3 years of college and have some great experiences. There are a lot of people who would kill for that kind of opportunity. If her last year of school is 20k, then she only wasted 30k rather than the 90k the article implies.

The mind boggling part is where she doesn't want to take responsibility for that last 20k. She should be able to finance that no problem and graduate with slightly more than average student-loan debt. Instead it sounds like she's a Mexican standoff with her parents and the school, with her not finishing college as the result if no one blinks.

Right, are we supposed to be shocked that it can cost more than $90k to go to college for 4 years? Sounds like she eventually sucked it up and got a job but still college is loving expensive even with generous gifts from family.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I have some interesting news for you which is that many finance people who work in Manhattan can spend $2000/mo on eating out and still retire comfortably

I have some interesting news for you, which is that there are lots of people who clear well north of 100k and still can't retire comfortably because they literally spend what they make.

Either way I don't see what the hell your point is, I'm just saying he shouldn't give a gently caress what happens to her after the way she attacked him, whether she turns out good or bad. Do you spend 2k a month in restaurants and this offended you? If so, I'm sure you budget/account for it, so that's great. It sounds like she's not so sure of it, which is why she flew off the handle like a crazy, entitled rear end in a top hat.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 17, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sic Semper Goon posted:

In car tyre air chat:

how much are these things? looks more expensive than is really necessary.

i highly recommend a cheapo 20 dollar portable one that plugs into the cigarette lighter for every car. checking your tire pressure regularly is also good with money, and can save you a lot of tire wear in the long run. and not crashing into things.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don't get a cigarette lighter pump. Those have a tendency to blow your accessory fuse, as they pull a bunch of Amperage when you kick it on. Or maybe I just had terrible luck.

Get a pump that hooks up to your car battery via alligator clips. This is what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Viair-93-VIAIR-Portable-Compressor/dp/B001MXL71A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437155804&sr=8-5&keywords=vair

A little more expensive, but it stopped me from buying new fuses every month.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don't get a cigarette lighter pump. Those have a tendency to blow your accessory fuse, as they pull a bunch of Amperage when you kick it on. Or maybe I just had terrible luck.

Get a pump that hooks up to your car battery via alligator clips. This is what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Viair-93-VIAIR-Portable-Compressor/dp/B001MXL71A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437155804&sr=8-5&keywords=vair

I have the same one, except it's a cigarette lighter version.

I also have a jumper pack with a cigarette lighter port on it.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you already have a bike pump just use that. It doesn't take that long, you're not going to be starting from empty.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Aliquid posted:

We were discussing personal finance and budgeting as well as career trajectory; the person is an old acquaintance and we were catching up. She had a finance job in Manhattan and so I was asking her basic questions about the position when cracks started to show.

Is the implication that she's lying/exaggerating about her position?

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Re: tire pumps. Check your state laws, in CA it's required all gas stations provide free air if you buy $0.01 of gas

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

lord1234 posted:

That's pretty hyperbolic. She's a 22 year old college student that's never really had to deal with money to any degree and now the real world is rearing it's ugly head at her. Sure she sounds a bit entitled but I don't think she's incurable or in need of a punch in the throat.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Highbrow Slick posted:

Re: tire pumps. Check your state laws, in CA it's required all gas stations provide free air if you buy $0.01 of gas

Most of the pumps in CA I see charge you a buck or whatever, but then on a sticker with really really tiny font, it says, "according to California law, we must provide you with free air. Go into the store to request a refund of your money when you are done."

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm sure I would hate that kid on a visceral level if I had to listen to her voice but isn't it a little stupid to 1. Give $90k to a loving adolescent 2. Not monitor that money in any way?

You teach your kid how to manage a budget and financial accounts when they're children and you have oversight, not dump $90k in their checking account when they turn 21, jfc.

If not being a loving idiot with money was an innate skill people had without being taught, do you think we would have the kind of debt crises that exist?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I feel like 'blowing' $30k a year isn't that amazing when it includes food/board/tuition/insurance/fees/travel...

I agree with everyone the issue is the entitlement. But it's not that big of a deal, she's young and lived a privileged life and just now getting a taste of what the real world is. It seems like her parents are ensuring that she'll learn.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Barry posted:

That's pretty hyperbolic. She's a 22 year old college student that's never really had to deal with money to any degree and now the real world is rearing it's ugly head at her. Sure she sounds a bit entitled but I don't think she's incurable or in need of a punch in the throat.
The person who put all those stupid gifs as rebuttals needs punched in the throat. I think we can all agree on that.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Many SUVs and trucks have a hidden "super" cigarette lighter plug in the hatch or the cab for heavier duty applications like this.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Many SUVs and trucks have a hidden "super" cigarette lighter plug in the hatch or the cab for heavier duty applications like this.

When I was a teenager I once for fun used a power inverter plugged into my cigarette lighter to run a chainsaw. 1996 Ford Explorer cigarette lighter supremacy. Or probably the power inverter itself but whatever.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Truck equity pays off.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I once shared a brief story about a friend that wanted to sign her very first lease ever and, after doing a simple breakdown of their finances, another friend and I realized that she couldn't afford it and that she'd be living check-to-check with no ability to save or build a cushion, etc. However, she was in total denial and refused to look at what we came up with, so whatever. She signed it and that was that, she's happily broke and living in her own place.

Well, it's been 3 months now and, effective September 1st, her rent is being increased by $80. She's now being "forced to look at other places" because she "can't afford the increase at all."

She also wants to go get brunch (and maybe drinks) on Sunday.

:eng99:

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Senf posted:

She also wants to go get brunch (and maybe drinks) on Sunday.

:eng99:

You could be all money Jesus and suggest a brunch and drinks at someone's house, saving money and still getting to have social time. Assuming this is a person you would otherwise hang out with anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Have brunch at a financial counseling centre.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's kind of amazing that she'll have so little debt. I was lucky and got through with $18.5k of debt with a high interest rate and more than half of it I borrowed in the last year. I guess reality has caught up with this girl.

When I started university the student load scheme was pretty new and was put in place to avoid issues with borrowing from banks. I remember the one woman at the hall I stayed at borrowed the maximum amount and collected student allowance. By the end of the first term she had spent everything and to pay for board for the next term she had to work. I was amazed at how someone could spend all of the money they needed to live on, and others living there were also surprised. My mates in a design course had a woman on their course that blew all the loan money and actually quit the course after the first term to work so she could pay rent and buy food.

This article is a bit older but there are 10 former students who owe a total of $2.9m in loans (mostly because of compound interest).
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/7092842/Ten-students-owe-2-9-million-in-loans

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 17, 2015

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

ReverendCode posted:

You could be all money Jesus and suggest a brunch and drinks at someone's house, saving money and still getting to have social time. Assuming this is a person you would otherwise hang out with anyway.

But she really, really wants to get out because she's really stressed :silent: People have pitched similar ideas before but rarely does she budge. Hell, she recently insisted on booking a 3-day trip to San Diego for her birthday in a few months, but after receiving the rent-increase notice, she's reconsidering.

Reconsidering.

Subjunctive posted:

Have brunch at a financial counseling centre.

"Hey everyone, my name is Tiffany and I'll be your adviser today."

"Adviser...?"

"Server! I'll be your server today. Can I start you off with some coffee? A mimosa? Maybe a calculator and excel spreadsheet?"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/3da252/made_it_purchased_2014_nissan_gtr_at_26/

Enlisted Air Force idiot earning $36k/yr buys a 6 figure Nissan GT-R. Don't worry! Payments are $1k/month and insurance is $180 month.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

canyoneer posted:

https://np.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/3da252/made_it_purchased_2014_nissan_gtr_at_26/

Enlisted Air Force idiot earning $36k/yr buys a 6 figure Nissan GT-R. Don't worry! Payments are $1k/month and insurance is $180 month.

If he just lives in it, it'll be okay :)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

canyoneer posted:

Having lived on Air Force bases for half my life... this poo poo is so common. The other common thing is these poor guys marrying the trashy hoes that infest the bars around bases, who then whelp a child and gently caress everyone when the husband is on deployment. It's loving disgusting how often these guys get cheated on while being shot at.

But yeah, the only outlier is how expensive the car is, but those guys always blow their sign on bonus on whips and other dumb poo poo. Without housing allowances and all the other perks of active duty, most enlisted at a low enough level qualified for food stamps back in the day.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Nocheez posted:

The person who put all those stupid gifs as rebuttals needs punched in the throat. I think we can all agree on that.

I'm glad someone else said this before I finally came back to the thread. So glad Yahoo Finance has turned into BuzzFeed, I tell you what.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

BraveUlysses posted:

how much are these things? looks more expensive than is really necessary.

i highly recommend a cheapo 20 dollar portable one that plugs into the cigarette lighter for every car. checking your tire pressure regularly is also good with money, and can save you a lot of tire wear in the long run. and not crashing into things.

To answer your question, mine was $20 AUD.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

BloodBag posted:

Having lived on Air Force bases for half my life... this poo poo is so common. The other common thing is these poor guys marrying the trashy hoes that infest the bars around bases, who then whelp a child and gently caress everyone when the husband is on deployment. It's loving disgusting how often these guys get cheated on while being shot at.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dependapotamus

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jody

Both the lovely wife and her cheating on the guy happen so frequently there's terms for them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Holy poo poo, I didn't know Jody was a racist term. Great combination of "lazy blacks" and "stealing our white women".

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
It sounds like it has racial origins but isn't considered racial now

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I've never paid for air for my tires. If I go to a gas station and it needs coins to operate, I just go inside and ask them to turn it on. They'll pretty much always do it for you.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 18, 2015

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I'd love to see you use a bicycle pump on big tires. Jesus.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Aliquid posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know Jody was a racist term. Great combination of "lazy blacks" and "stealing our white women".

How did you get that from those links?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How did you get that from those links?

I'm guessing Aliquid misread the UD definition like I did the first time. It says that black soldiers first came up with the pejorative term, but I first read it as a pejorative term for black soldiers engaging in "wife stealing" or whatever.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm guessing Aliquid misread the UD definition like I did the first time. It says that black soldiers first came up with the pejorative term, but I first read it as a pejorative term for black soldiers engaging in "wife stealing" or whatever.

Oh, yeah. I thought it was it was created by white soldiers on the front in WWII discussing black soldiers back home who were, by segregation, unable to deploy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I got an excellent offer in the mail. A company with "bank" in their name, but one I've never heard off, offered me a credit card with an APR of only 39.9%! They say in the latter that they've "already helped 2.6 million people"! Can't wait to start building truck equity with this.

• Locked thread