Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, that's who White Rabbit is.

I thought that was someone who worked at the Iceberg Lounge or something.

Is she at least tied to the Mad Hatter?

White Rabbit is a Spider-Man villain, and has been since at least the nineties. I'm surprised DC got away with making a character with a very similar design and the same name.

Batman:

Spider-Man:

quote:

I played Origins recently and the Riddler sections made me sad because I pretty much agreed with him and didn't get why Batman was trying to stop him. If you collect his blackmail pretty much all of it is about really bad people who legitimately needed their crimes exposed. I felt like a complete rear end in a top hat protecting the biggest scumbags in the city while driving a man to insanity. It was really confusing and made me think that Batman might actually be doing it just to prove that he was smarter.

Agreed. Eddie should have been the first Oracle based on his actions in Origins. If he were blackmailing them for his own gain, that would at least be villainous, but "you can't release this information because people will get hurt?" Sure, Bruce, now go break some people's arms, that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Kurtofan posted:

What's the point of getting riddler trophies in Arkham City? You don't get tapes, right? just challenges and concept art?

No, you get tapes. You get them for finishing a row I believe

Veotax
May 16, 2006

You also had to collect trophies to rescue Riddler's hostages.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Veotax posted:

You also had to collect trophies to rescue Riddler's hostages.

And to punch Riddler in the face.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CuwiKhons posted:

No, you get tapes. You get them for finishing a row I believe

Crazy that I have over half the trophies and not a single row done. time to grind

Jurgan posted:

White Rabbit is a Spider-Man villain, and has been since at least the nineties. I'm surprised DC got away with making a character with a very similar design and the same name.

Batman:

Spider-Man:

It's just a Alice reference, nothing unique really. There's a spiderman villain called Scarecrow as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, Mayor Hill resigns because of Riddler.

Nephthys posted:

I played Origins recently and the Riddler sections made me sad because I pretty much agreed with him and didn't get why Batman was trying to stop him. If you collect his blackmail pretty much all of it is about really bad people who legitimately needed their crimes exposed. I felt like a complete rear end in a top hat protecting the biggest scumbags in the city while driving a man to insanity. It was really confusing and made me think that Batman might actually be doing it just to prove that he was smarter.

Aside from Gordon and Bullock.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think Hill resigning was a happy consequence rather than the intended result. Remember, once Enigma starts to crack he gleefully talks about chaos in the streets, riots, etc. He's doing it mostly out of self-vindication and doesn't care about any sort of collateral damage. Much like Anarky his argument is a fairly reasonable one but the way he puts it into practice is too damaging and wide-reaching to be productive in the long term.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nephthys posted:

The tapes aren't the entirety of the blackmail material, just the stuff relevant to ingame characters that can be used for the unlocackable background info. Enigma was planning to release everyone's private information simultaneously everywhere and see how many people died.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Riddler is pretty tragic because if there was just ONE little thing tweaked right in his brain, he could be a great force for good. Now he makes "nutritionally perfect" meals for himself that leave him looking like a crackhead while tweeting #Batmangate or whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JackDarko posted:

Suicide Squad game would rule. Black Deadshot pissing off racists. I wonder if DC will retcon Deadshot due to the film.

The majority of people upset about Deadshot in the new Suicide Squad movie are not upset because he's black, people are upset because he is being played by Will Smith, known actor of Morally Grey People Who Are Good At Heart. That and he's being given a lovely hollywood "he loves his family and he's only doing it for the money, and he only kills people who deserve it really!!" backstory. Deadshot, one of the most evil and conniving people on the Suicide Squad despite not even having super powers, is not evil and conniving anymore because he's being played by Will Smith. Which sucks.

edit: It will also probably piss off racists, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

That and he's being given a lovely hollywood "he loves his family and he's only doing it for the money, and he only kills people who deserve it really!!" backstory.

This isn't new. It is directly from a Deadshot solo series. The end result was him realizing he couldn't be a good father but that isn't new for the character. It also is drawing from the Nu52 version of the character who played that up even more, but that is probably a side effect of them planning to tie in film and comics.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 18, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh! Well that's unfortunate. I guess Deadshot sucks as a villain in general now then.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

CJacobs posted:

The majority of people upset about Deadshot in the new Suicide Squad movie are not upset because he's black, people are upset because he is being played by Will Smith, known actor of Morally Grey People Who Are Good At Heart. That and he's being given a lovely hollywood "he loves his family and he's only doing it for the money, and he only kills people who deserve it really!!" backstory. Deadshot, one of the most evil and conniving people on the Suicide Squad despite not even having super powers, is not evil and conniving anymore because he's being played by Will Smith. Which sucks.

I'm pretty sure Will Smith is one of the black people racists like to give a pass ("I'm not racist because I like [insert famous singer or athlete]!"). As for him playing Deadshot, I was a little surprised, but turning him into more of a "nice bad guy" makes sense. There's no way Will Smith would play a guy that coldly shoots people in the head at long range for a paycheck and nothing else.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Why would you want a Suicide Squad game when the "play as an unlikable psychopath" niche has already been filled by 90% of open world games?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Much like the Saints Row protagonist, Deadshot's fatalistic enough for the story to be coherent with mercenary side activities. :v:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

nickmeister posted:

I'm pretty sure Will Smith is one of the black people racists like to give a pass ("I'm not racist because I like [insert famous singer or athlete]!"). As for him playing Deadshot, I was a little surprised, but turning him into more of a "nice bad guy" makes sense. There's no way Will Smith would play a guy that coldly shoots people in the head at long range for a paycheck and nothing else.

Didn't Will Smith just play Satan in a movie

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

ayn rand hand job posted:

Didn't Will Smith just play Satan in a movie

I dunno. Was he a cool guy who was actually misunderstood and wasn't really as bad as they say and gave the protagonist a break in the end?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Much like the Saints Row protagonist, Deadshot's fatalistic enough for the story to be coherent with mercenary side activities. :v:

Why bother dropping 60 bucks on a new game when you can just dress up The Boss like Foot Clan reject and shoot random people?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You can be evil/crazy and a father with a heart of gold or whatever.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't new. It is directly from a Deadshot solo series. The end result was him realizing he couldn't be a good father but that isn't new for the character. It also is drawing from the Nu52 version of the character who played that up even more, but that is probably a side effect of them planning to tie in film and comics.

He was also similar to that in the Assault on Arkham movie.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

nickmeister posted:

I dunno. Was he a cool guy who was actually misunderstood and wasn't really as bad as they say and gave the protagonist a break in the end?

Val Kilmer is that you?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aside from Gordon and Bullock.

Well iirc Nigma had basically nothing on Gordon and gently caress Bullock. He's just as dirty as any other cop at that point.

poptart_fairy posted:

I think Hill resigning was a happy consequence rather than the intended result. Remember, once Enigma starts to crack he gleefully talks about chaos in the streets, riots, etc. He's doing it mostly out of self-vindication and doesn't care about any sort of collateral damage. Much like Anarky his argument is a fairly reasonable one but the way he puts it into practice is too damaging and wide-reaching to be productive in the long term.

Discendo Vox posted:

The tapes aren't the entirety of the blackmail material, just the stuff relevant to ingame characters that can be used for the unlocackable background info. Enigma was planning to release everyone's private information simultaneously everywhere and see how many people died.

Hmm, I must have missed that stuff. Or maybe I dismissed his ranting because I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid if Gotham's major officials were outed at corrupt. I did think the tapes were it though, maybe they should have made it more clear if he was gonna screw over all of Gotham.

Also yeah Anarky was another guy I thought had a point and I enjoyed reading his files on the crappy parts of Gotham, even if he was too extreme. I loved the bit where he admits he went too far and offers to be Batmans sidekick then immediately takes it back and starts raving at him again. I actually really dug how the game had a clear theme about heroism, with Riddler, Anarky, Shiva and even Joker challenging Batman's methods and having their own views on it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

CJacobs posted:

Deadshot has been a "nice villain with a family" for a decade - I think his daughter was first mentioned in a Deadshot miniserial in 2005, then brought up again in Villains United the same year. It's been canon ever since.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Deadshot's been an antihero for a while, hence the mildly functional relationship he had with Harley.

Also Will Smith could give the character some much need charisma.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Nephthys posted:

Also yeah Anarky was another guy I thought had a point and I enjoyed reading his files on the crappy parts of Gotham, even if he was too extreme. I loved the bit where he admits he went too far and offers to be Batmans sidekick then immediately takes it back and starts raving at him again.
Was it an evidence locker recording where we learn Anarky was basically disappeared by the government after Origins? That was... interesting.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

You can be evil/crazy and a father with a heart of gold or whatever.

Puckish rogue.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
200% and all but three trophies to go. Now the big question - I'm signed off work for another week. Do I use that time to get the two other save files to 200%? :v:

Nephthys posted:

Hmm, I must have missed that stuff.

It is easy to I'll admit. A lot of it's buried in the rants he gives you when taking down towers or get closer to finding all the data packs. It's not something that's clearly stated in any specific place.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Informants not spawning and only 1/13 Trophies is on the map of Stagg's airships :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Snark posted:

Was it an evidence locker recording where we learn Anarky was basically disappeared by the government after Origins? That was... interesting.

Yep. He's in the Feds' hands now.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
They should be ashamed of themselves for locking an ending that terrible behind all the Riddler poo poo.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Chasiubao posted:

Informants not spawning and only 1/13 Trophies is on the map of Stagg's airships :negative:

Punch the gently caress out of some rioters, even if they're not on the sane island as the airships.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

BarkingSquirrel posted:

They should be ashamed of themselves for locking an ending that terrible behind all the Riddler poo poo.

I am patiently awaiting the next game where I can just press butan to scare mooks.

vvvv that one still gets a chuckle out of me

Dogen fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 19, 2015

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Riddler: "I can hardly factor LUCK into my equations now, can I? I'm not a homeopath!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Funky Valentine posted:

Deadshot's been an antihero for a while, hence the mildly functional relationship he had with Harley.

Also Will Smith could give the character some much need charisma.

this. they also got the costume right. I hope he is actualy good in it. He hasn't been that great of late, ever since he started pushing his sons "acting" career.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Did other people not get the option to activate Knightfall before finishing all the sidequests? I still had two left when it gave me the option.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Did other people not get the option to activate Knightfall before finishing all the sidequests? I still had two left when it gave me the option.

Yes, that is intended. There's a half-ending and a full-ending.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?

TechnoSyndrome posted:

You get the option to do the incomplete Knightfall ending if you catch 7 or 8 of the most wanted criminals.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I guess I'm a dunce because the 100% ending wasn't very clear to me. Obviously, Batman and Alfred faked their deaths by blowing up Wayne Manor, but are we meant to take away from the mugging scene that GCPD is using fear toxin to fight crime in Batman's absence or something?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I guess I'm a dunce because the 100% ending wasn't very clear to me. Obviously, Batman and Alfred faked their deaths by blowing up Wayne Manor, but are we meant to take away from the mugging scene that GCPD is using fear toxin to fight crime in Batman's absence or something?

I really didn't care for the "upgraded Batman" ending. I thought they were going to do something like "Batman's sacrifice inspired Gotham, so they no longer need a superhero," rather than "welp, guess things are starting over.

As for Deadshot, all I know about him is what he's done in Arkham: Basically, guy shoots people for money. So I have no idea whether Will Smith will play him well or not. I'm more worried about the silly Joker design and the possibility that Harley will be made into a dumb sex object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, that is intended. There's a half-ending and a full-ending.

What happens in the half ending? I waited until I had everything done to activate it. Does it just stop halfway through or is anything different?

• Locked thread