Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Are there rules for dual wielding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Torkelyo posted:

What are the rules for choosing spells for your wizard?

I pre-ordered the book a couple of days ago, and feel like I should wait for it to arrive before I start pondering potential warbands. But it's difficult to wait yo. I'm excited for this game!

8 Spells total
3 from your school
One from each aligned school (3 total)
2 from neutral schools

Aligned are cast at -2 and neutral at -4, so you want to grab the easy ones.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Speleothing posted:

8 Spells total
3 from your school
2 from neutral schools

I assume the casting value is the number at the top of each spell in the Spell Cards found at their website?
https://ospreypublishing.com/gaming-resources

Is the casting roll modified by anything, like will or level? How do you get better at casting?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Any battle reports? I'd prefer a tutorial one that explains the rules as they come into play, but I'll take anything at this point.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I hear tell that there are only 20 pages of rules. Are them thar rumors hogwash?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I don't think anyone has the book yet...

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I don't think anyone has the book yet...

Nickstarter people within the UK will have it - it shipped out at the end of last week.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Unless I grossly misunderstood, someone even posted their copy on the previous page!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Ashcans posted:

Unless I grossly misunderstood, someone even posted their copy on the previous page!

Ah ha! You're right! I thought it was just the soldiers

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I'll try and cover all the questions when I have a bit more time to form a cohesive post.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Is it beer and pretzels level or are there serious tactics to be had?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Corbeau posted:

Is it beer and pretzels level or are there serious tactics to be had?

Based on everything I've read, it's above Mordheim but below Infinity. The game isn't even out yet though, so it remains to be seen after serious play whether or not there's some broken combo of spells or something.

Torkelyo
Jul 16, 2015

Speleothing posted:

8 Spells total
3 from your school
2 from neutral schools

Thanks for the info!

Are Apprentices able to cast the same set of spells, just with a negative modifier or something?

And also, is an out-of-the-box Wizard casting these spells without any bonus to his roll?
Can he attempt more than one spell each turn?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Torkelyo posted:

I pre-ordered the book a couple of days ago, and feel like I should wait for it to arrive before I start pondering potential warbands. But it's difficult to wait yo. I'm excited for this game!

Likewise! So much so that...I ended up ordering a couple of figures to be a Thaumaturge and Apprentice just now. :v:

Both from Reaper again, I got the "Lor Gorna" figure to be the Thaumaturge:

And the "Bertrand, Monk" figure to be his Apprentice:

Ashcans posted:

I mean I am 100% sure that I don't need more miniatures, but I am still a sucker for fun kits.

It's the wargamer's curse. :sweatdrop:

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
Are fight values for melee characters really as low as +2 or +4? Having melee resolved by d20+fight value and those low values would seem to make the random d20 much more important, which seems wrong.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's the wargamer's curse. :sweatdrop:

The wargamer's curse is to die when he paints the last mini. We're only protecting ourselves.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

No Pun Intended answers your questions!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Do you think there will be limits on how many of certain types of henchman you can take? Could I bring 8 barbarians?

No limits on individual types of henchmen; Although Barbarians are 100gc; which is quite expensive seeing that henchmen are mostly ablative and will be redshirted quite often

Ashcans posted:

Rules questions:

I've seen it mentioned in reviews that when you attack damage can actually go both ways - the attacker can get hurt if they don't roll well enough. Is this just the equivalent of a critical fumble, or is it actually that if you straight lose the dice off the defender gets damage on you just like if he had initiated? (I hope this makes sense)

Short answer yes.

Long answer: Combat is an opposed D20 roll between the two combatants (the activating model and his opponent); It is D20 + Fight + Bonuses. The Higher roll is the winner and the one who will inflict damage. Damage is calculated from the winning roll - the targets armour, the difference is the damage inflicted. Damage modifiers are then added/subtracted from this number and applied to the models remaining health.

So even if you started the combat there is a chance you can get your butt handed to you.

Commissar Kip posted:

Are there rules for dual wielding?

Not really; a wizard can use a HW + Dagger to get a +1 fight bonus in combat. Since you don't really buy equipment for your soldiers there is no real way to give them two weapons; The soldier which is equipped with HW+Dagger has the bonus already factored into his fight stat.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I hear tell that there are only 20 pages of rules. Are them thar rumors hogwash?

Depends what you mean by "rules"; the whole book covers all the different facets of playing the game. The chapter dedicated to the actual tabletop portion of the game is 21 pages long.

Torkelyo posted:

Are Apprentices able to cast the same set of spells, just with a negative modifier or something?

And also, is an out-of-the-box Wizard casting these spells without any bonus to his roll?
Can he attempt more than one spell each turn?

Apprentices casts the wizards spells at -2; Your standard wizard doesn't get bonuses to casting. Each model has 2 actions a turn, one which is movement the other covers shooting/fighting/casting, these can be done in any order.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sounds good to me. Not too complex and it lets me start looking at (or making, more likely) small numbers of fantasy-themed buildings.

An ad on Skype popped up to let me know Frostgrave is just £10.45 or something on Amazon...spooky...but I clicked the link and ordered it. I'll wait to order the campaign book due in November until I know if we're actually going to play, but I have tons of Bones models I can bunch together and just make available for the guys in my group.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

Sounds good to me. Not too complex and it lets me start looking at (or making, more likely) small numbers of fantasy-themed buildings.

An ad on Skype popped up to let me know Frostgrave is just £10.45 or something on Amazon...spooky...but I clicked the link and ordered it. I'll wait to order the campaign book due in November until I know if we're actually going to play, but I have tons of Bones models I can bunch together and just make available for the guys in my group.

Came to post about the price drop on amazon again, I ordered when it was around £13 but checked this morning to see my order's been updated to drop it to £10'ish, definitely worth a punt at that price. Looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on it.

Waiting on the Open Combat kickstarter delivery some time in August but there's a lot of crossover there (fantasy skirmish, literally use whatever models you want, there's a system for generating stats etc. to balance things out) - so I'll get double mileage out of a force for frostgrave. Bargain.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

No Pun Intended posted:

No Pun Intended answers your questions!

Thanks a lot! You realize that you're going to be on the hook now until we all get copies too? :v:

How does the experience/progression look? I'm guessing its pretty standard, some sort of flat gain and bonused for winning/completing objectives in games? Do you pick how your wizard advances, or are there tables you roll on to see? What sort of advances are you looking at? Bonuses to the statline, or additional abilities/special things to use in games?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What I am curious about, is the whole upgrading your wizard camp aspect of a campaign.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh yea, I saw a mention of that and it sounds interesting. I am wondering if it will provide some neat modeling opportunities for you to actually 'build' your camp, or if ts more abstracted from that like Necromunda territories.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Slow day at work, spent hours folding paper terrain. So looking forward to this game.

What are the rules for climbing and falling? I really like the Chronomancer spell that lets you rot away parts of a wall or even floors to drop someone, but if it takes 3 turns to get up and falling damage is low I'll probably only use it to create LOS to suckers who thought they were safe.

BioTech fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 17, 2015

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Ashcans posted:

Oh yea, I saw a mention of that and it sounds interesting. I am wondering if it will provide some neat modeling opportunities for you to actually 'build' your camp, or if ts more abstracted from that like Necromunda territories.
It's abstracted, so you don't have to build anything. :( You pick the general location, and then you can customize it by buying resources for it, as gold reserves allow.

Example location: Tower
"This half-ruined spire allows the wizard to get closer to the heavens and to clear his mind. The tower grants a +2 bonus to Reveal Secret spells."

Example resource: Giant cauldron
"Confers a +1 on all Brew Potion spells"

On an unrelated note, i found this. Seems like a cheap way to add some urban sprawl...

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Do the soldiers get special abilites? Can a thief commit thievery or is he just a dood that moves faster?

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
I'm semi keen to get these two for my Mage/Apprentice but unsure what school of magic I'd give them.
Need to order the book first I suppoose

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
My local Ian Allen bookshop had it on the shelf when I went in yesterday, along with the plastic henchmen and loads of blisters. Picked up the book, priced at £14.99, but went through the till at £11.99.

Read it and I like it. It seems like it would work nicely for skirmishes, I'm keen to start putting together models and I have an unopened box of Empire militia, and you can counts as pretty much anything.

The only thing I'll really need to buy stuff for is more wizards and anything in the encounters table that isn't covered in what I have or the Mantic Dungeon Siege kickstarter I have coming next month.

Is there a good place to get Reaper Bones in the UK? Thinking of some Purple Worms, monsters and henchmen.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Encounters list? Can someone maybe post a picture of that? It'd be good to know what it contains, to see if my group's pool of fantasy minis covers everything.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Thundercloud posted:

Is there a good place to get Reaper Bones in the UK? Thinking of some Purple Worms, monsters and henchmen.

My local shop is Spirit Games their website carries a bunch of the Bones models. I know for sure they have Bones 1 models but not sure about Bones 2.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Thundercloud posted:

Miniature Heroes usually have pretty good stock of Bones, and they do regular Reaper orders for anything backordered.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Do the soldiers get special abilites? Can a thief commit thievery or is he just a dood that moves faster?

Not really no, the thief etc just have a better statline. The apothecary does give you some bonuses to potion craft and can lessen the cost/reduce the time of injuries suffered in a campaign at the cost of being kinda rubbish in combat.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 18, 2015

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My son and I are picking out our forces based on internet info while we wait for the book. Looks like we will have some Summoner on Necromancer action. We're gonna need extra models.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Mostly information we have already but here's a guy on YouTube giving a first look:
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=StcFPV9YEk8

I can't wait to hold this book in my hands.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

THANKS GERM

I just bought 125 bucks worth of stupid poo poo I don't need from your store!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

signalnoise posted:

THANKS GERM

I just bought 125 bucks worth of stupid poo poo I don't need from your store!

He gave us a coupon! The more you buy the more you save!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pre-crossposing this from the Oath thread! Just finished my WSI walls tonight. This ought to be enough scatter for a 4'x4' table, but that probably won't stop me from buying / building more... The crate piles look useful in everything, and I've got a coupon? Well ok then.

I'm still trying to settle on a Wizard figure, but it looks like I'll be using my SAGA Irish and probably a pair of Warlord Games' Celtic druids. The book cannot get here fast enough.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

jodai posted:

He gave us a coupon! The more you buy the more you save!

Yep! I stole like 12 dollars from that sumbitch! Hahahahahaahaha!!!!

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I had a chance to play a couple of quick improvised games of Frostgrave (Chessex battlemap, D&D minis) with a mate, and it was good fun. We struggled a bit with rules-lookup, but that's to be expected with any new game. A couple of bulletpoint observations:

* luck is a factor - if you can't get the right rolls, no amount of brilliant tactics will save you
* Elemental Hammer seems overpowered? Time and more games will tell...
* plenty of strategizing with spell selections, seems promising and a lot of fun
* several spells actually affect the management aspects, rather that the tactical aspects
* we found the whole between-games management rigmarole quite satisfying
* wandering monsters will gently caress you up!
* henching for James T. Kirk is safer than henching for a Frostgrave wizard!

Overall, Frostgrave isn't in the same league as Infinity, but it does seem like a slightly lighter Mordheim. Once you've got a couple of games in, it also plays fairly fast, allowing you to get 2 or 3 games in over an evening.

I'll need a few more games, preferably with 3D landscape and painted figures, to give Frostgrave a fair assessment - but so far it seems like a very agreeable light-to-medium complexity fantasy skirmish game. And at less than 15 quid, it's priced right too.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Itching to get my copy now, shame it's released on a bloody Monday of all days. I'll be stuck in work when my copy turns up hopefully, so tomorrow evening's plans are already made... looking forward to getting my hands on it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

enri posted:

Itching to get my copy now, shame it's released on a bloody Monday of all days. I'll be stuck in work when my copy turns up hopefully, so tomorrow evening's plans are already made... looking forward to getting my hands on it now.

I'll be out of state when my copy arrives.... :(