Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Oliver Harper and friends review Terminator Genesys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVsvv2OFEkM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sean10mm posted:

I think you have to at least introduce believable doubt early on that the war won't unfold like we expect it to from T1/T2, where Skynet has to lose to get to the point where it resorts to time travel wackiness in the first place.

For instance, I didn't feel much tension in Genisys watching the Future War stuff until the moment John Connor gets pounced on by Skynet-bot just as Reese is going back in time. Watching random good guys I don't know and aren't invested in emotionally get blown up by something powerful isn't innately scary.

It'd be interesting to see what the overlap is between people who want a Future War movie and people who deride prequels because "they know what's going to happen".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

computer parts posted:

It'd be interesting to see what the overlap is between people who want a Future War movie and people who deride prequels because "they know what's going to happen".

I want to see the near-future war, the period after Judgment Day until shortly after John rose and rallied people from the extermination camps. There must be a reason he didn't start the resistance before humanity was on the brink of complete extinction.

The Future War is essentially the Third Servile War post-apocalypse style, let's find out how Johnicus escaped the robo-ludus. Let's see Terminator: Blood and Sand Skulls already.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

Don't sign your posts

:golfclap:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Was Robert Patrick given the opportunity to reprise his role as the T-1000? The new guy had a decent take but man, I miss the old dude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

poptart_fairy posted:

Was Robert Patrick given the opportunity to reprise his role as the T-1000? The new guy had a decent take but man, I miss the old dude.

He says they approached him but he's not in the best shape these days.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah he didn't think he would do his old performance justice now that he's older and has a bad hip.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

He says they approached him but he's not in the best shape these days.

I heard a more specific version of the story where he turned it down because he feels like he really hit the nail on the head in T2, and it took everything he had physically to do a lot of the stuff he did there. He doesn't want to do a half-assed version of the T1000 just for the hell of it.

Specifically he mentioned that he can't run at a flat-out sprint take after take while making it look effortless the way he did in T2.

Edit: beaten

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

Someone in the thread earlier said he was but didn't want to take the role because he didn't think he could still do it justice.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Basebf555 posted:

I heard a more specific version of the story where he turned it down because he feels like he really hit the nail on the head in T2, and it took everything he had physically to do a lot of the stuff he did there. He doesn't want to do a half-assed version of the T1000 just for the hell of it.

Specifically he mentioned that he can't run at a flat-out sprint take after take while making it look effortless the way he did in T2.

Edit: beaten

My favorite bit from the T2 commentary was the discussion about how awesome Robert Patrick was.

Like how many times they had to re-take the garage escape on the dirtbike because while "John Conner" was trying to kick start the bike Robert Patrick kept running up, tapping him on the shoulder and saying "If this were real, you'd be dead." and going back to the door he was supposed to come out of for the shot and starting the take over.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully he'd come back as a much older T-1000 for the sequel. Justification?

T-1000 still got sent back to 95, he just had poo poo all to do. So now he's just waiting around and then what do you know, lots of explosions and poo poo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Skynet has always had a face, beginning in Terminator 1. Arnold is one of them. Then, the gleaming skull.

In Terminator Salvation, Skynet actually looks like this, stretching out into infinity:

Contacting Skynet directly causes Marcus to black out, though, because it's just too much information. So, in the next scenes, Skynet slaps together an AI ambassador (with simulated voice and face) to 'speak for it'.

This is way back, but it's interesting that I also visualize human intelligence this way. After all, neurons are a bunch of nodes that link to other nodes. As near as we understand, "we" are just the patterns in which those nodes are most likely to connect to each other in any given circumstance.

I haven't seen a Terminator since T3. It was alright, but not memorable the way the first two were.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was bummed they didn't keep the same synth cacophony music during the revisit of the 1984 alley chase.

https://youtu.be/2ywnTKg3OtY

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Electromax posted:

There's also a scene where the T800 crashes his car into a brick wall at high speed after Reese slams on the brakes, and the cops immediately surround them. The T800 could easily have gotten out of the car and killed them right there without worrying about the cops’ bullets (it disappears when the cop checks the car a moment later) but instead it just goes back to the hotel. It clearly doesn’t care about being seen given the sequence in the police station later. I never understood why it ran off like that.

He was seen, but he wasn't showing metal parts. He wore sunglasses and a glove or something to cover up. I expect he was programmed not to reveal his robotics to avoid loving up the timeline.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AdmiralViscen posted:

He was seen, but he wasn't showing metal parts. He wore sunglasses and a glove or something to cover up. I expect he was programmed not to reveal his robotics to avoid loving up the timeline.
Covering up also lets him blend in better, making it easier for him to infiltrate and get close to (and kill) his target.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Electromax posted:

There's also a scene where the T800 crashes his car into a brick wall at high speed after Reese slams on the brakes, and the cops immediately surround them. The T800 could easily have gotten out of the car and killed them right there without worrying about the cops’ bullets (it disappears when the cop checks the car a moment later) but instead it just goes back to the hotel. It clearly doesn’t care about being seen given the sequence in the police station later. I never understood why it ran off like that.

It was because Bud, Oly, Lite and Miller drove in to confront the Rodriguez brothers and when you have a bunch of 1957 Chevy Malibu with a bunch of dead aliens in the trunk, well then, you gotta high-tail your shot-up cyborg rear end to get away from all that weirdness before it causes some sort of space-time collapse weirdness.

Kidding, it's funny how many movies film there, pretty much around the same time as well.

Related (more about Repo Man than The Terminator, but I believe Terminator 2 had a lot of scenes featuring it), oh no, they're going to demolish the 6th Street Bridge and replace it with some postmodern monstrosity...
http://www.kcet.org/socal/departures/lariver/confluence/river-notes/sixth-street-bridge-replacement-project-breaks-ground.html

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Electromax posted:

If I remember correctly the T800 had damaged it's arm and eyesight and didn't have any weapons with it. If it analysed the situation it would have recognized that Sarah and Reese were about to be arrested and therefore their future location would be predictable (and it was).

Then it comes down to what has a higher probability of success. Let them get arrested, go repair & rearm and reaquire them at the police station, or attack head on and have to tear through half a dozen police officers unarmed and damaged then get to Sarah and Reese before they escape again. Seems reasonable to take the first option.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

On the topic of sequels or a future war, I think the concept of Salvations alt ending was decent, but the execution was dumb. John Connor being Dread Pirate Roberts would make a lot of sense and I feel it'd be cool. Being an idea rather than a concrete person would solve a lot of the time line sperging, I'd hope, and I think works better in a thematic war against robot assassins. A man can die. An idea lives until there's no one else to carry it.

Also on other topics, I think Skynet learning and eventually not becoming an enemy or possibly an ally would be a neat twist too. It's constantly been mentioned that is self aware, and the terminators we see how are also self aware end up being good guys. So either Skynet, or a part of it, or just a group of robots fighting against it would be a neat addition. So it'd be a poetic turn for Skynet's weakness to be it's own strength.

As for the new movie, I hated Jurassic World but for whatever reason this movie was fun to me.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 17, 2015

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Eimi posted:

On the topic of sequels or a future war, I think the concept of Salvations alt ending was decent, but the execution was dumb. John Connor being Dread Pirate Roberts would make a lot of sense and I feel it'd be cool. Being an idea rather than a concrete person would solve a lot of the time line sperging, I'd hope, and I think works better in a thematic war against robot assassins. A man can die. An idea lives until there's no one else to carry it.

Also on other topics, I think Skynet learning and eventually not becoming an enemy or possibly an ally would be a neat twist too. It's constantly been mentioned that is self aware, and the terminators we see how are also self aware end up being good guys. So either Skynet, or a part of it, or just a group of robots fighting against it would be a neat addition. So it'd be a poetic turn for Skynet's weakness to be it's own strength.

As for the new movie, I hated Jurassic World but for whatever reason this movie was fun to me.

The best alt ending I heard from Salvation not only had Marcus "become John Connor" but also execute all of the top human resistance leaders. That would have been a great ending because then Skynet controls how the war goes on both sides, can send everyone back in time that needs to go to ensure history happens correctly for them, and then win the war after.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mFIMns_qTM

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Spacebump posted:

The best alt ending I heard from Salvation not only had Marcus "become John Connor" but also execute all of the top human resistance leaders. That would have been a great ending because then Skynet controls how the war goes on both sides, can send everyone back in time that needs to go to ensure history happens correctly for them, and then win the war after.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I just rewatched Terminator 1 and one thing that stood out to me was how Reese said the Resistance started. The way he tells it, humans didn't start fighting back until way after the war, and were instead herded into concentration camps where they were systematically killed until John Connor taught them "to tear down the fences" and gave them back their faith. I really liked that, but it seems totally different from what people think of the future war today.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For context, that's John Connor, having been transplanted into a Hybrid endoskeleton (like Marcus was), talking with Skynet.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
What I'd want to know is why Skynet feels the need to have concentration camps to begin with, aside from the obvious think of making it more obviously evil to the audience. That long after the fall of society I can't imagine that it's running through IDs to confirm it's got everybody since there'll be new undocumented people.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shima Honnou posted:

What I'd want to know is why Skynet feels the need to have concentration camps to begin with, aside from the obvious think of making it more obviously evil to the audience. That long after the fall of society I can't imagine that it's running through IDs to confirm it's got everybody since there'll be new undocumented people.
I'd have to check if the original Terminator novelization or any of Cameron's notes expanded on it, but I think the idea was that Skynet initially used captured humans for slave labor at the beginning since Skynet didn't really have a solid infrastructure in place at first (and nuking the planet meant EMPing a ton of stuff Skynet would have otherwise used).

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Just read that and that series did pretty good salvaging something out of the mess that was Salvation. It does get a little Asimov, but a movie of that would work be pretty good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shima Honnou posted:

According to some fan site that I always liked (but can never remember), it's simple/horrific computerthink: Skynet has plans to kill every single human and wants to do it in an organized fashion. Part of that is the tracking of every single human from capture/discovery to final deletion.

If you just shoot every one of them you see, you'll never be sure if you really got everyone. But if you collect, tag them and methodically kill them all, you know how much you're doing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

According to some fan site that I always liked (but can never remember), it's simple/horrific computerthink: Skynet has plans to kill every single human and wants to do it in an organized fashion. Part of that is the tracking of every single human from capture/discovery to final deletion.

If you just shoot every one of them you see, you'll never be sure if you really got everyone. But if you collect, tag them and methodically kill them all, you know how much you're doing.

That's pretty much outright stated by Reese in T1. Not the tracking aspect, but Skynet uses the surviving humans to dispose of the terminated humans. The way Reese talks about it makes it sound pretty much like the Holocaust. After the war Skynet probably did not expect the humans to fight back, and he was right for a time.

The reason why that seems like a terrible idea now is because there have been various media that make it seem like the humans went pew pew resistance pretty much the second the dust settled after the bombs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. We've gone so far from the original timeline, I don't think it exists anymore.

Which to be fair, that's the point of Genesis. Pops and that other T-1000 were both from some future future Timeline, after T-3000 and Skynet themselves. Time is constantly changing and turbulent and nothing is the same anymore.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sandele posted:

The pipe bomb that Reese puts into the Terminator’s rib cage thing at the end of T1. I saw that and it didn’t really seem believable that some makeshift bomb made from cotton swabs and ammonia could blow up the hyperalloy combat chassis that was fully armored even at close range.

While Terminators are built up to be unstoppable killing machines, in the first movie Reese managed to blow the T-800 through a window by unloading a shotgun into it. Bullets are one thing but I don't think it's too far-fetched for a pipebomb placed in a weak spot to blow a machine in half.

Sandele posted:

Those were missions that John ordered him to help with so technically if John ordered him to stay, shouldn’t he have to? Or is it because the mission is over that he’s no longer bound by John’s orders. The only thing I can assume is that the learning chip being enabled made him make that decision but it’s weird to have him learn that he needs to terminate, I don’t think a computer learning chip would make it learn to destroy itself.

If anything by this point the T-800 is useless; its arm is trashed, skin camouflage ripped to hell, a whole manner head torso and leg servos heavily damaged, and is running on emergency power since its main power plant was destroyed. Even though it cannot self-terminate it'd probably just tell John to escape, its so beyond combat effective the T-1000 was only destroyed since there was a nearby chain belt to ride on to get close enough for a lucky grenade shot.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Sandele posted:

The end of T2 when Arnie says that he has to terminate himself. I get the reason is because of the whole end skynet/cyberdyne thing but when I thought about it there’s a big plothole. His mission was to protect John Connor and listen to his orders and that was pretty much it. The whole time he stated that other things were not part of the mission and would avoid it if it was tactically dangerous. He only decided to do them because John ordered him to. So at the end when he was going to self terminate and John ordered him not to go, he all of sudden can disobey the order? Future John definitely didn’t program that part into him, and he didn’t even show any signs of having programming in his system to destroy cyberdyne and all traces of terminators. Those were missions that John ordered him to help with so technically if John ordered him to stay, shouldn’t he have to? Or is it because the mission is over that he’s no longer bound by John’s orders. The only thing I can assume is that the learning chip being enabled made him make that decision but it’s weird to have him learn that he needs to terminate, I don’t think a computer learning chip would make it learn to destroy itself.

A couple of possibilities spring to mind. Firstly he may have been programmed specifically to protect John from the T-1000, so once it was destroyed his primary mission was over and that might have nullified the 'follow orders' clause.

Another explanation is that John isn't specific enough when he orders him not to destroy himself. All he says is 'I order you not to go' which is ambiguous enough that it probably still permits stepping onto a winch, which is the only action Arnie took himself. Earlier in the movie it shows that unless orders are totally unambiguous they don't count, like when John says 'we need to help my mom' he is free to ignore him until it's rephrased as something specific.

Plus following orders is one of his mission parameters, which doesn't imply there aren't others that can take precedence. For example he lets go of the guy John told him to grab when he is attacked by his friend, so he doesn't have to do everything John says if it contradicts some other objective or even earlier order.

jabby fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 19, 2015

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

What comic series is this?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Terminator Salvation : The Final battle.

Yes it is the continuation of that movie, but its' good.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MisterBibs posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of Terminator: 2029 AD.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spacebump posted:

Bale may have caused the script to be ruined by demanding rewrites and that John Connor has a bigger role in the film.

That's a load, because the human terminator guy's story was the reason the movie sucked. Well, that and the directing. And Skynet having a face. And the giant... thing that looks like a video game boss. And the visuals. And the bad CG.

If anything, Bale should have fought to remove that character from the script entirely.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

oohhboy posted:

Terminator Salvation : The Final battle.

Yes it is the continuation of that movie, but its' good.
It really is. It feels a bit like it was written as a movie script because there's a few things that I think would have been more compelling "in motion" rather than in panel format, and there's still a couple of goofy parts, but on the whole it does a solid job of salvaging the groundwork set up by Salvation, tying it back into the Future War we knew from T1 and T2, and still managing to tell its own story. It even resolves a couple unresolved plot points from T3, like the T-850 killing John Connor.

Also the main antagonist is really obviously drawn as Tom Hiddleston, and he's a pretty good choice for the bad guy in the story.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Terminator Salvation ultimately retained every element that was rewritten, in a thematic sense.

If the original version(s) had Connor killed, and replaced by a well-meaning robo-hybrid who is secretly programmed to kill the resistance leadership, the final version has a well-meaning Connor secretly tricked into killing the resistance leadership, then killed and 'born again' as a better person.

The plot is changed, but the theme of uniting the men and drones against both Skynet and a corrupted humanity is retained.

Salvation has a ton in common with the also-unduely-maligned movie Transcendence in that respect, but is much more streamlined.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Super Slash posted:

While Terminators are built up to be unstoppable killing machines, in the first movie Reese managed to blow the T-800 through a window by unloading a shotgun into it.

That's another thing I quite liked in T1. The amount of punishment the Terminators absorb in subsequent movies is ridiculous, in the first movie the fact that a simple shotgun could slow him down somehow just heightens the tension.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The T-1000 in Genisys seemed like it was nerfed down a bit. A few bullets to the chest and face not only slowed it down, but when it stopped to heal, I felt like it took longer than Robert Patrick's T-1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Robert Patrick was taking 9mm and shotgun while in full sprint and it barely slowed him. Genisys' T1000 was a chump, but did have some advanced features that Robert Patrick didn't.

• Locked thread