Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Bought some small red potatoes. Hope those will work.

They are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drifter posted:

They are fantastic.

Truth. Don't peel them!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Where is the best place online or in person in the US to buy random Torani syrup flavors? The Torani website doesn't seem like a piece of poo poo but I am just wondering since I want like 6 bottles of weird ones.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
I love sashimi and smoked salmon (the thinly sliced kind you get from the supermarket or Sam's Club), but everything changes when it gets cooked. I don't know if all of the cooked salmon I've gotten has been done badly or I just don't prefer it. Is there anything I can try that more or less aligns in the way that I like salmon (mostly raw)? I'm still a babby at cooking and usually have it delegated to my SO but I'd like to get better at it.

I've got a sous vide coming in tomorrow if that'll help expand options.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

ShinAli posted:

I love sashimi and smoked salmon (the thinly sliced kind you get from the supermarket or Sam's Club), but everything changes when it gets cooked. I don't know if all of the cooked salmon I've gotten has been done badly or I just don't prefer it. Is there anything I can try that more or less aligns in the way that I like salmon (mostly raw)? I'm still a babby at cooking and usually have it delegated to my SO but I'd like to get better at it.

You could do a tartare, carpaccio, or only lightly cook it. You could try tuna steak, which is usually seared on the outside and raw or rare in the middle.

You're allowed to cook salmon rare in any recipe, if that's how you like it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UTNioqVfXYY

Hannibal is being cancelled, so I want to make this for a series finale dinner party.

What meat/cut would lend itself well to being smoked, seasoned with thyme and served with a sweet glaze?

(The dish was inspired by a soy glazed braised pork belly recipe, I think the one in the show was built with meatglued pork loins)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 17, 2015

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Definitely a pork tenderloin, with rainier cherries.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShinAli posted:

Make gravlax. That is goddamned delicious.

And whenever you cook salmon it should never be cooked through more than the rarest of steaks. A small hyperbole, but still, don't cook it all the way.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 17, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

So what kind of potatoes are good for making potato salad?

Fingerlings are my favourite potatoes for stuff like this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShinAli posted:

Sous vide salmon is what you want.

Edit: here ya go: http://sansaire.com/2014/04/cook-fish-sous-vide/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Now comes the part where I ask the thread how do I dice vegetables (specifically onions and bell peppers) because I am stupid and need help doing simple babby cooking poo poo. :negative:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Search youtube for 'knife skills' or Stella Culinary channel is another great option for basic to more advanced methods and recipes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Now comes the part where I ask the thread how do I dice vegetables (specifically onions and bell peppers) because I am stupid and need help doing simple babby cooking poo poo. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDjNl5gs4nM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MOj3XDBP6U

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I was kinda hoping one of them would be a link to the guy who breaks eggs over everything.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Drifter posted:

I was kinda hoping one of them would be a link to the guy who breaks eggs over everything.

HowToBasic :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like the Gordon Ramsay way of cutting bell peppers. The seed pod stays mostly intact so it doesn't spray everywhere when it's on the cutting board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZGqtmwboHU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Gosh, I hope he found the restroom not too long after filming that video.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To do a couple more lines of coke? Fairly likely.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Using a paper towel to dry a vegetable? Using a serrated chef's knife? What is wrong with these people?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Using a paper towel to dry a vegetable? Using a serrated chef's knife? What is wrong with these people?

Well man if you're breaking down the complex process of Cutting A Bell Pepper into a simple 10-steps, you're going to need to cut some corners.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

If you're not teaching the rolling cut, I can't grasp how the instructions are more than "cut it"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

a worthy uhh posted:

If you're not teaching the rolling cut, I can't grasp how the instructions are more than "cut it"

"Gently - still maintaining a proper knife grip - press your knife handle into your crotch, and slowly begin to rock your hips back and forth. Start to feed the item you wish to cut into the path of the blade. You are an engine and the knife is your mighty piston. More furious rocking motions will lead to a more finely chopped vegetable."

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

ShinAli posted:

If you have a thermometer, try to cook your salmon just to 130 degrees. It's loving amazing like that. Overcooked salmon is so disappointing, I am going to guess you've always had it like that. It shouldn't have the texture of canned tuna.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
An onion is naturally segmented why make horizontal cuts?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You make the lower cut because the outer layer of the onion makes a really big chunk otherwise.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Hello. I have a cooking date on Monday with someone on a very strict diet. She basically said don't worry about the diet and just make whatever and she'll count it as a cheat day but I view it as an interesting and fun challenge for my culinary skills.

Problem is that I used all my usual recipes that fit last time so I'm fresh out of ideas. Ie, my culinary skills loving suck apparently. She loved my roasted red pepper, sweet potato and coconut soup but the rest of my stalwarts don't fit. I loving LOVE BEANS MAN :negative:

What delicious and impressive foods can I make with the following ingredients:

All non-citrus fruits, all veg (sans tomatoes and regular potatoes), rice or rice noodles, fish (no shellfish), turkey, lamb, venison, herbs and spices, coconut milk, olive oil

No pasta, no bread, no dairy, no beans or lentils, no vinegar, relish, chutneys or soy sauce, other oils.

I can sub in gluten free bread if I have to but I don't wanna because its gross.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 18, 2015

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
That's basically going to be a meal without starches at all huh. I'm curious what people can suggest, a meal without starches just doesn't seem right.

Edit: missed that rice was doable, though slso realizing tou can't use acids kind of sucks too

Comic fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 18, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That's not really hard at all, make a really good salad or soup, then make awesome fish with really well cooked green vegetables and maybe the lemon rice recipe that everyone keeps gushing about or something. It wouldn't be that much of a pain to cook for this person every day (especially in the summer).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Some sort of fish curry over rice?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Miles O'Brian posted:

Hello. I have a cooking date on Monday with someone on a very strict diet. She basically said don't worry about the diet and just make whatever and she'll count it as a cheat day but I view it as an interesting and fun challenge for my culinary skills.

Problem is that I used all my usual recipes that fit last time so I'm fresh out of ideas. Ie, my culinary skills loving suck apparently. She loved my roasted red pepper, sweet potato and coconut soup but the rest of my stalwarts don't fit. I loving LOVE BEANS MAN :negative:

What delicious and impressive foods can I make with the following ingredients:

All non-citrus fruits, all veg (sans tomatoes and regular potatoes), rice or rice noodles, fish (no shellfish), turkey, lamb, venison, herbs and spices, coconut milk, olive oil

No pasta, no bread, no dairy, no beans or lentils, no vinegar, relish, chutneys or soy sauce, other oils.

I can sub in gluten free bread if I have to but I don't wanna because its gross.

Lamb curry using spices, onions, peppers, olive oil and coconut milk. Serve over basmati rice.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Yeah definitely seems like I'm going with a curry. Thanks chaps.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I have a giant zucchini i picked from the garden today. What else should I do with it? What are good recipes to make?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Cimber posted:

I have a giant zucchini i picked from the garden today. What else should I do with it? What are good recipes to make?

Someone posted about stuffed zucchini earlier, it looked really tasty.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Lamb curry using spices, onions, peppers, olive oil and coconut milk. Serve over basmati rice.

Out of interest, what's olive oil doing in there? Never seen it in a recipe, Indian or Thai so my curiosity is piqued.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cavenagh posted:

Out of interest, what's olive oil doing in there? Never seen it in a recipe, Indian or Thai so my curiosity is piqued.

He said the only oil he could use is olive oil and there was a no dairy clause so no ghee, you need something to bloom the spices and brown the meat in and the only option I saw was the olive oil.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cimber posted:

You should have picked it sooner.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

He said the only oil he could use is olive oil and there was a no dairy clause so no ghee, you need something to bloom the spices and brown the meat in and the only option I saw was the olive oil.

Gotcha. Missed where he said the only oil useable was olive oil (weird diet that excludes so many oils) . Spices need to be bloomed and meat browned (not greyed) so it makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Cimber posted:

Slice it lengthwise and grill it, or make zucchini bread.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Looking for ideas on easy recipes using a whole chicken (broken down or whole). Something I can make and reheat. Lower carb preferred.

I don't have a grill or sous vide setup. Would like to use my cast iron dutch oven, however I did just pickup a roasting pan.

I've been doing coq au vin and a 40 garlic clove recipe which is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Make a pozole verde, and just reduce the amount of hominy to your liking.