Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I did GLD up to 22 so I have Provoke and Convalescene :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bonewitch posted:

Single target with no mechanics/boss jumps, etc: DRG > MNK > NIN > BLM > SMN > MCH/BRD
Single target with boss jumps, movement, etc: MNK > NIN > DRG for melee and SMN > MCH/BRD > BLM (of course, depending on the amount of movement)

The reasoning behind this is that monk can blow their GL3 on tornado kick whenever the boss jumps so they're not as heavily affected

While getting Tornado Kick to actually land every time right before the transitions where GL will definitely be lost and prepping another Burning Finger Forbidden Chakra for when you are back up to GL3 is nice, a DRG can still potentially out DPS a MNK even when both are playing well because DRG damage potential is pretty extreme. Meanwhile MNK is a diesel engine DPS class. Those interruptions that shut us down cold are a bigger annoyance than what DRG or NIN have to deal with and they sure as hell don't help us out DPS anyone else more easily than being able to go full speed with 100% uptime like in T8 or the final phase of A4. When you're up and running then things go smoothly and you can pump out some nice damage. Until that point you're just being left behind by the other non-BRD/MCH DPS classes.

Obligatum VII posted:

I think this is just a baseless rumor, but I heard something about SE possibly taking some sort of hardline stance against proxies going forward? Since I kind of need WTFast (or a similar service) to be functional after 8 PM, that would be truly terribly news for me.

SE isn't going to waste developer time and resources going after something useful and harmless like proxies that're used to deal with lag that they have no control over.

They don't even go after Guildworks. They aren't going to try to block proxy use

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

abraham linksys posted:

I did GLD up to 22 so I have Provoke and Convalescene :shrug:

You should also get Foresight because it's at MRD 2 and it's 20% damage reduction on 120s.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
I don't know what you guys are talking about, according to the experts at the official forums STR tanks are all tryhards and are stressing healers.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/249139-Strength-Tanks-and-You.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Those interruptions that shut us down cold are a bigger annoyance than what DRG or NIN have to deal with and they sure as hell don't help us out DPS anyone else more easily than being able to go full speed with 100% uptime like in T8 or the final phase of A4. When you're up and running then things go smoothly and you can pump out some nice damage. Until that point you're just being left behind by the other non-BRD/MCH DPS classes.

That is the one thing that annoys me about MNK is when my rotation gets interrupted by the target leaving, then having all my buffs fall off and then having to restack GL. Does DRG suffer from this problem?

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

vOv posted:

You should also get Foresight because it's at MRD 2 and it's 20% damage reduction on 120s.

In 190 it's equivalent to hitting an ability that says "mitigate 12%~ physical damage".

Increasing defense, and "mitigating damage" in an ability, are different things, since it's sequential cuts off the true damage taken, and its returns can be wildly skewed based on your current defense values.

If you are mitigating 50% of true damage through defense already, then rampart's 20% mitigation is only 10% off of true, where 10% cut worth of defense is actually 10% cut, and makes rampart's 20% only worth 8%.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Etrips posted:

That is the one thing that annoys me about MNK is when my rotation gets interrupted by the target leaving, then having all my buffs fall off and then having to restack GL. Does DRG suffer from this problem?

Sort of, except that it's more if something becomes untargetable after using buffs they're wasted and we have to wait for cooldowns. Also the possibility of our dots falling off which is bad.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

abraham linksys posted:

Okay. Should I be getting STR or VIT accessories? Whiny healer babby seemed to imply the latter, but everything I pull up on Google implies the former

What VIT accessories give while levelling is a high enough HP buffer to accommodate healers with sub-par reaction times, or tanks who may not know the right places to pop cooldowns or the right mob packs to pull together. VIT accessories are ultimately the safer, but slower choice.

The thing is that when you know a dungeon/trial, or when your healer is good, then all those VIT accessories are giving you HP you don't need. If you never get close to dying in a fight because your healers are on the ball and you know when to hit your cooldowns, then you're effectively wasting all your right-side slots.

When you are learning a tank job, learning to juggle hate and when to mitigate damage and how big to make pulls and all those things, then VIT is better because it gives you safety to play around with that stuff. When you're confident and know what you're doing, when you've been doing content for awhile and notice you're never really in danger of dying unless something really strange is happening, that's when you might want to switch over to STR. From that point and forever after, STR is the optimal choice. Then, in late endgame you approach each big fight differently finding the balance between damage and survivability. Most of the time it's still STR, but sometimes you will need the HP.

tl;dr: use VIT until you're confident in your tanking and then STR once you are. Sub VIT back in based on the fight, once you're at max level and know what you're doing.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Use strength you loving bads.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Use strength you loving bads.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Don't loving bother with vit accesories, nothing in this game is hard enough to require them and if you can't clear poo poo w/o them you have much bigger problems.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
In fairness I haven't touched vit accessories yet in Heavensward, and levelling DRK up I was full str all the time as well. But I had 2 years of playing both other tank jobs by this point so I knew what I was doing. If I'd NEVER done a tank job before (I'm assuming this is abraham's situation based on what he said), and moreover been dumped into Brayflox and later dungeons as my first real tanking tests due to DRK starting at 30, then VIT accessories are fine. For awhile, at least.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I tried to get a screenshot with lighting that would make a potato look vaguely threatening

then I forgot about the weapon i was using :(

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow, Bismarck Ex is a great fight. Exactly what an "extreme" battle should be--not excessively difficult, but requiring good timing, knowledge, and a little bit of luck. A great set piece, an intense fight...too bad the rewards are kind of meh.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Meiteron posted:

In fairness I haven't touched vit accessories yet in Heavensward, and levelling DRK up I was full str all the time as well. But I had 2 years of playing both other tank jobs by this point so I knew what I was doing. If I'd NEVER done a tank job before (I'm assuming this is abraham's situation based on what he said), and moreover been dumped into Brayflox and later dungeons as my first real tanking tests due to DRK starting at 30, then VIT accessories are fine. For awhile, at least.

If you've never played a tank before VIT accessories are a great exercise in learning where your cooldown buttons are and how to dodge AoEs.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I can't remember my security question or square enix ID, how long does support typically take to resolve these kinds of things? I can give them a billing address, steam CD key, and details to the card used to pay for my subscription the first time, is that typically enough for them?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Etrips posted:

They do, but it's not as bad as losing GL3 without PB ready.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

Okay. Should I be getting STR or VIT accessories? Whiny healer babby seemed to imply the latter, but everything I pull up on Google implies the former

While leveling, STR. More threat is good when your DPS' ability is kind of random. At max level, get both so you can use what you need for each fight. When your healers are still getting the hang of a fight, VIT is generally better than STR.

Bad tanks just slap on STR gear and bark at their healers to cover their asses FOR MAXIMUM DPS. Good tanks realize that there needs to be some breathing room for healers to be able to make mistakes, and that your healers are just as capable of putting out DPS as you are.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

yeah on one hand i'm inclined to just side with the people that say full STR all day because hell yeah DPS, but

Willias posted:

At max level, get both so you can use what you need for each fight. When your healers are still getting the hang of a fight, VIT is generally better than STR.
I think this is the better option. The tank is almost always the de facto party leader who dictates how fights ensue, so the burden of determining how good a party is should fall on them.

e: I mean assuming you're not already to the point where you can just fully sustain yourself 100% as long as a healer is sort of on your rear end and you're the greatest tank ever go STR full up no regrets mode

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 19, 2015

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

If you've never played a tank before VIT accessories are a great exercise in learning where your cooldown buttons are and how to dodge AoEs.

Yes, they are. Being able to learn how much things do without a single fuckup meaning you're dead is pretty useful.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Also on the note of VIT or STR talk for tanks: VIT gives more HP in Heavensward than it did back in ARR, and jewelry now has more main stats than you get stat points as you level up. So a 180 piece of jewelry is +36 main stat, while you only get 35 stat points from leveling. With no VIT jewelry on, a Paladin and Dark Knight tank will only have slightly higher HP than the DPS of their group (around 12k HP with stat points put into STR instead of VIT, DPS will have 10k-11k HP). With full VIT jewelry, a PLD or DRK tank will have 16k to 17k HP (Warriors go up over 20k). It's a huge boost, and is very noticeable in the EX primal fights and Alexander.

If you go full VIT though, I still recommend keeping at least one piece of jewelry as STR, just to make sure you can out threat your DPS.

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
I have never tanked before this game.

As a total newbie running MRD for my first run to 60, I arranged for my 8 through - keys to be a potion, bloodbath, foresight, and the one ROG shadows +HP cooldown.

I call them my 'oh poo poo' buttons and press one or more depending on how panicked I get from a big hit.

So far in my runs of the story instances so far and some LLDR (currently 30 MRD) I have died in an instance once, during a boss fight, when the healing didn't keep up with the damage and I failed to panic in time. Ever since, my HP bar is always in the corner of my eye and if I ever see myself get knocked below 25% hp for any reason ever, panic buttons get hit.

Learning that it is safe to re-enter an AOE zone after the timer for the move fills bt before the AOE zone vanishes would have been nice to know earlier, but I know it now, long before endgame or former endgame.

Now I just have to get used to maintaining a boss' orientation as stable as possible, and keeping safe zones to stand on every side of the boss.

I've been reworking my 'oh poo poo' row in response to taking GLA up towards 22 in preparation for WAR. I'm sure I'll need to grow beyond using the number row eventually.

As an aside, while my silver chocobo feathers took care of my level 15 gear needs, I am now at level 30 with mundane gear. What's the best way to gear up for my 30+ run as a fresh WAR? I have no crafting classes at all and limited funds. Will MSQ rewards keep me running fine to 50? Running instances for drops is the obvious option- just checking if there's anything more clever at this point.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Willias posted:

Also on the note of VIT or STR talk for tanks: VIT gives more HP in Heavensward than it did back in ARR, and jewelry now has more main stats than you get stat points as you level up. So a 180 piece of jewelry is +36 main stat, while you only get 35 stat points from leveling. With no VIT jewelry on, a Paladin and Dark Knight tank will only have slightly higher HP than the DPS of their group (around 12k HP with stat points put into STR instead of VIT, DPS will have 10k-11k HP). With full VIT jewelry, a PLD or DRK tank will have 16k to 17k HP (Warriors go up over 20k). It's a huge boost, and is very noticeable in the EX primal fights and Alexander.

If you go full VIT though, I still recommend keeping at least one piece of jewelry as STR, just to make sure you can out threat your DPS.

Add to that that tanks are not created equal. As a Dark Knight, I just can't mitigate incoming damage nearly as well as a Warrior or a Paladin, and so that buffer of extra HP is kind of crucial to not die all the time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I fall on the "better safe than sorry" side of the STR vs VIT debate, at least at level cap, but then I don't really progression... er, much of anything, so the relevance is a bit not there :v:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

FFXIV was my first attempt at tanking ever and I went STR as a WAR and never had any issues. I'm not even a good player but somehow i've been able to manage and have had maybe one complaint.

Also my numbers go big.

Its win/win/win.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

kafziel posted:

Add to that that tanks are not created equal. As a Dark Knight, I just can't mitigate incoming damage nearly as well as a Warrior or a Paladin, and so that buffer of extra HP is kind of crucial to not die all the time.

I ran all of Alex with my static in str gear as a drk. If your healers know what they are doing you should be fine.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

I fall on the "better safe than sorry" side of the STR vs VIT debate, at least at level cap, but then I don't really progression... er, much of anything, so the relevance is a bit not there :v:

but never doing progression is the reason why you do str in the first place

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

but never doing progression is the reason why you do str in the first place

I've always felt playing casually (read: not progression, mostly solo queuing duties) means I'm mostly playing with people who will inevitably gently caress something up and get me killed without that extra HP. v:shobon:v

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Did that until I decent gear at level cap back in ARR. As a paladin I've been running full STR for most content since.

However, when I step into a new EX primal fight, or content that I know is going to be somewhat difficult going in, I throw on the VIT gear, just in case. I had VIT jewelry on for a lot of Coil fights for example, and I find the extra breathing room to be worth it in Ravana EX and A4.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Willias posted:

And I advocate even if you go full Str, put a Vit ring on.

Mainly because most tome/turn in rings are unique which means you have one ring slot you either fill with lower ilvl gear (with less stats and not always an option due to ilvl gating) spend millions of gil on a pentamelded ring (expensive) or just take the Vit/Str ring off the tome vendor.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

Mainly because most tome/turn in rings are unique which means you have one ring slot you either fill with lower ilvl gear (with less stats and not always an option due to ilvl gating) spend millions of gil on a pentamelded ring (expensive) or just take the Vit/Str ring off the tome vendor.

You can just wear a Yasha and Ashuran Strength ring; the ilvl hit isn't really that bad, especially if you're looking to pump out the highest possible damage. The Strength ring from Alexander is also really good and very easy to get (clear 1-4 once and turn in the free bolt).

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
ew no, the difference between a 170 and 180 str ring is only 1 point of STR and some substats which only spergs care about

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Frog Act posted:

So I can't remember my security question or square enix ID, how long does support typically take to resolve these kinds of things? I can give them a billing address, steam CD key, and details to the card used to pay for my subscription the first time, is that typically enough for them?

It is a complete pain in the rear end to get your account back. Basically you will need to talk to support and explain your situation, they will then open up a "ticket" for investigation, in which you will need to fill out a form that will need to be notarized and mailed in. After that they will get back to you after X amount of time.

Zerilan posted:

They do, but it's not as bad as losing GL3 without PB ready.

Well, time to try out the derpgoon bandwagon.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 19, 2015

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Vit on a tank is alright in duty finder because there's a hell of a lot of shitheads that stand in avoidable AoEs and that difference in tank hp can sometimes let the healers catch back up before someone dies. If you're playing with actual human beings it is a different story. I would suggest doing the latter.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

There's nothing like watching Bismarck Extreme die a tenth of a second before he would've barrel rolled everybody off.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Please do yourself, and everyone else, a favour and use strength gear on your tanks. You literally lose 2-3k hp, which is the difference of an auto-attack or two and you gain a large amount of DPS.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

bonewitch posted:

Please do yourself, and everyone else, a favour and use strength gear on your tanks. You literally lose 2-3k hp, which is the difference of an auto-attack or two and you gain a large amount of DPS.

It's 4-5k HP, which depending on how you look at it, is an increase of 33% or a loss of 25% of your tank's total health pool.

And I use VIT gear because I have experience that has repeatedly proven to me that it's a good idea in any situation where I'm taking a poo poo ton of damage.

That said, yeah, it's a big damage gain (at least 200 DPS?).

Ultimately, I don't give a gently caress about how fast the thing we're fighting dies unless we're hitting an enrage timer. I do however, care that it dies at all, and if a bit of extra health padding ensures that I don't die to something stupid (tank doesn't stack for a Ravana cleave and I don't have a cooldown ready, healer isn't paying attention and I get hit by a bad string of crits, etc), then the VIT gear stays on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

vOv posted:

There's nothing like watching Bismarck Extreme die a tenth of a second before he would've barrel rolled everybody off.

Likewise, there's nothing like jeopardizing it by autorunning off the edge.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Likewise, there's nothing like jeopardizing it by autorunning off the edge.

I saw so many people kill themselves trying to jump on Bismarck's back before he landed in the first couple of days after early access started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

In my experience, equipping VIT is only especially useful if you would either die within 5 seconds otherwise, or you're doing big pulls in a 4man and want the healer to be able to get some damage off before they have to start dropping heal bombs on you.

The thing is that HP has nothing to do with mitigation. Other than those two situations, equipping more VIT does not reduce the burden on the healer. You could have argued for it before, when Lustrate was % based and Stoneskin was 18% for WHM, but now almost every heal that hits you doesn't give a poo poo about what your maxHP is. So if you're taking damage that you can reasonably live through, putting on another 5000 health just means the healer can start casting cure later.
If anything, strength actually reduces healer burden more than VIT does, because every tank has some self-healing ability that will scale from their attack power. Well, I think Clemency scales from attack power anyway. It's a pretty insignificant effect since tank HPS ends up being double digits or less, but it's an effect.

What it comes down to is I see other tanks in VIT gear, and they don't die any less than I do but they do about two thirds the damage I do.

I honestly do feel like this is a problem, since "focus on gear that makes you do more damage instead of gear that improves your eHP" is counter-intuitive, but I'm not sure what SE could do about it, unless they retooled a lot of defensive options to scale from VIT. Or gave tanks some attack power from VIT, which would be silly.

• Locked thread