Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't want to seem like any more of a contrarian than I already do, but...

Gods & Monsters is like...my new favorite DC story ever. Holy poo poo, that was so good. And the climax!

Edit: Just realized that I shouldn't make a post full of spoiler tags since not everyone has had a chance to see it yet.

Everything was just so perfect! I could not ask for better. I really, really hope we get a sequel with an even bigger League.

Four Score posted:

the movie sort of beats you over the head with how much grittier and edgier this world is even as it evokes the same aesthetic as the BTAS/STAS/JLU canon (which wasn't all rainbows and sunshine, but was a lot more optimistic and light-hearted).

The only part that seemed excessive at all to me was the instance of a child getting killed.

Four Score posted:

Funnily enough, the fact that Superman and Wonder Woman wipe out a battalion of government jackboot types

Eh, that's no different than a soldier killing other soldiers when two nations go to war for whatever reason. It's tragic, but not really immoral when they're still trying to kill you. Besides, they probably deserved it, there's not a lot of innocent government jackboot types.

Four Score posted:

Kirk is my new favorite bishonen Batman, at least!

Yes to this though! Kirk is the best Batman ever, maybe even better than Terry, but at the very least tied. He's such an adorable puppy! He's the kind of character fans made the term "squee" for.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not even released anywhere legally yet, so yeah maybe give it a bit.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I saw the new Guardians Of the Galaxy cartoon at sdcc today. It's decidedly meh honestly. They took the personalities from the movie and ramp them up to 12. It seems like if you watch and like ultimate Spidey, Guardians is for you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kids do. Kids also liked the Guardians movie. Hence the cartoon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was about to deride the Ultimate Spider-Man/Avengers Assembles style cartoons for being so kiddy, but that's not really a bad thing. Still sucks EMH got scrapped for it, though.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Yeah, at the end of the day I know this wasn't made for me. You just always hope they stumble on another EMH. If you were hoping for maybe that, you will be disappointed.

It did have Cosmo though, so there's that at least.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm perfectly willing to deride this child's show because I am a cynical rear end 22-year old and Spectacular Spider-Man was one of my favorite shows and I will never let its cancellation go because I am petty and childish. USM and Avengers Assemble aren't for me, but gently caress those shows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kids will watch any cartoon with superheroes.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

Tell that to Young Justice fans.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Aphrodite posted:

Which is literally only the Marvel cartoons at this point in time, so that's basically like saying "kids will eat anything their parents serve them". What's the alternative supposed to be?

Don't judge the actions of children based on what you, a grown adult, can do. Kids can be just as discerning as a typical adult audience, they just can't act on it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Ultimate Spider-Man gets to me because I feel like I could really enjoy a goofy, meta, comedy-focused Spider-Man show (much like how I loved BatB) if it was less hamfisted and more genuinely clever. Instead it's really grating and the jokes just aren't funny and, like, maybe kids are easier to get laughs out of than jaded comics nerds but that doesn't mean USM's writers are off the hook for writing good jokes. Kids appreciate sharp humor and nuanced characterizations, and they can tell the difference on an intrinsic level even if they lack the ability to distinguish and verbalize why some shows work better than others (to be honest, the same can be said for most adults). "This is well-crafted but it's for kids, not for me" is one thing, and as much as I'm glad we have a lot of shows now aiming for a broader appeal I think it's probably also healthy for kids to have quality television that's just for them without the tertiary market muscling in on their space. Shows like USM or AA don't really feel like that to me, though; they just feel half-assed and dumbed down because "kids will watch whatever poo poo we put in front of them." And kids will watch pretty much any superhero cartoon you put in front of them, because superheroes and cartoons, but that just kind of makes the half-assing an even worse crime.

Teen Titans Go! is a goofy, dumb comedy show for kids that makes comic nerds angry because it isn't for them and doesn't have the more narrative-focused, serialized storytelling they want, but when I catch episodes of that show--even the ones that go too far or get too wrapped up in some dumb gimmick or just fall flat--I always feel like there's a strong creative voice and the staff is having fun doing stuff that's stupid and silly and weird, not watering things down because they think their audience is a bunch of suckers. By comparison the Marvel shows feel toothless and safe, like all of the nuance and joy has been focus-grouped out of them in the name of brand clarity and selling toys.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 13, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

Which is literally only the Marvel cartoons at this point in time, so that's basically like saying "kids will eat anything their parents serve them". What's the alternative supposed to be?

Don't judge the actions of children based on what you, a grown adult, can do. Kids can be just as discerning as a typical adult audience, they just can't act on it.

I'm saying they don't have to specifically target kids.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Opposing Farce posted:

Teen Titans Go! is a goofy, dumb comedy show for kids that makes comic nerds angry because it isn't for them and doesn't have the more narrative-focused, serialized storytelling they want, but when I catch episodes of that show--even the ones that go too far or get too wrapped up in some dumb gimmick or just fall flat--I always feel like there's a strong creative voice and the staff is having fun doing stuff that's stupid and silly and weird, not watering things down because they think their audience is a bunch of suckers. By comparison the Marvel shows feel toothless and safe, like all of the nuance and joy has been focus-grouped out of them in the name of brand clarity and selling toys.

This is definitely true too. I don't love TTG, but it's definitely a lot better than Avengers Assemble despite being "wacky" and for younger kids then the show that preceded it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Fuego Fish posted:

Teen Titans GO, which is gets freaking buckets of ratings, like apparently Adventure Time sorta ratings, so, I guess kids do know quality giving TTG ratings that stand way tall against the Marvel stuff.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Teen Titans Go is perfectly fine for a kid oriented comedy cartoon. It is also better than any of the current Marvel shows. It has some legitimately funny jokes in it sometimes.

The problem with the Marvel shows isn't that they are aimed at kids. It is that they are bad. Like, if they went full camp and comedy, like BatB or super crazy like TTG, then maybe they wouldn't be so bad, but they honestly try to be "action" cartoons and they suck at it. I wonder what the ratings of USM are compared to TTG.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I gave Avengers Assemble way longer than I should have, but I guess they just announced that they're going to have Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel? I'm irritated because, much like Web Warriors, that's something I'd really, really be into if it were in a show that I actually liked.

I enjoy TTG, though that may be because I didn't have cable as a kid so when I caught Teen Titans is was in syndication and quite often out of order, so I preferred the standalone episodes (though to be fair, I tend to prefer standalones in genral).

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Teen Titans GO, which is gets freaking buckets of ratings, like apparently Adventure Time sorta ratings, so, I guess kids do know quality giving TTG ratings that stand way tall against the Marvel stuff.

I sort of rate TTG as more of a superhero-themed comedy than what I would consider a straight-up "superhero cartoon". Don't get me wrong, it's funny and a good show for sure, but it doesn't have much in the way of action sequences like EMH or Spectacular, or the old DCAU stuff.

Opposing Farce basically nailed it on the head, I feel. The Marvel shows just don't feel like they've had any sort of love or effort put into them. Half the time, if you close your eyes and only listen to them, it sounds like the sort of plots and dialogue you'd expect from a terrible fan-made project, like a circa 2005 Newgrounds flash.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hulk and the Agents of SMASH makes USM and AAl ook like goddamn masterpieces

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Blockhouse posted:

Hulk and the Agents of SMASH makes USM and AAl ook like goddamn masterpieces

Well, it did give us this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXcuijCT6jA&t=60s

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All the Marvel shows were in a bit of an upswing last season to be fair, though they're still pretty bad, but I have some faith in Wacker rescuing this, I mean the season 3 finale of USM was actually pretty nice.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Watched Gods and Monsters and I'm shocked by how much I enjoyed it. It still had the dubiously justified tits blood and cursing that has been a staple of DC's DTV stuff lately, but it doesn't make me roll my eyes clear out of my head in this case thanks to it being basically a darkish Elseworlds. More like this, less bad adaptations of bad New 52 stuff and trying to shoehorn old timey visually distinct stories into your weird super clean looking animated format, please.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

oh my god those cuts

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Watched Gods and Monsters and I'm shocked by how much I enjoyed it. It still had the dubiously justified tits blood and cursing that has been a staple of DC's DTV stuff lately, but it doesn't make me roll my eyes clear out of my head in this case thanks to it being basically a darkish Elseworlds.

The mini-episodes worked perfectly to set the tone here for me. I WAS rolling my eyes to some of that, like Braniac, but it let me know going in not to expect anything subtle. And like people have said, most of it wasn't REALLY that much out of line with how real world armed conflicts play out.

But, if you can accept the grimdark, it's a really great piece. Timm still has it. The Elseworld twists were fresh and fun and interesting, and more importantly, it was just well done all around.

Did anyone else get the impression that, just maybe, Kirk was gay? I just got that feeling from the first time he showed up. Something about the dynamic between him and Tina and Will. Maybe Kirk was just shy and awkward, but maybe not. Though, it's also very likely I was thinking this purely because of his voice actor...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

XboxPants posted:

Did anyone else get the impression that, just maybe, Kirk was gay? I just got that feeling from the first time he showed up. Something about the dynamic between him and Tina and Will. Maybe Kirk was just shy and awkward, but maybe not. Though, it's also very likely I was thinking this purely because of his voice actor...

I hadn't considered that the first time around, but in retrospect that definitely fits really well, and explains why Tina wasn't just dating him to begin with.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

XboxPants posted:

I love this if only for the interaction in my head where when Will is in the tower hatching his master plan and explaining what happened to Tina, all of a sudden Kirk shouts "i'm gay" and then Will kills himself

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought Gods and Monsters was entertaining, though it had so many animation mistakes! Bruce's hair changed color from black to brown to black to brown in a lot of the shots of the flashback. Also the animators can't seem to turn the character faces in space nicely or even do a decent walkcycle, or keep hands on model. That really distracted me.

Story was a fun bit of business though. Not as captivating as I was hoping, but still entertaining.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ccs posted:

I thought Gods and Monsters was entertaining, though it had so many animation mistakes! Bruce's hair changed color from black to brown to black to brown in a lot of the shots of the flashback. Also the animators can't seem to turn the character faces in space nicely or even do a decent walkcycle, or keep hands on model. That really distracted me.

Story was a fun bit of business though. Not as captivating as I was hoping, but still entertaining.

I didn't notice any of that, but I'll take your word for it. However, it's funny to me you're complaining about continuity errors and don't know the names of the characters (no one in the film is named Bruce).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't catch any of the animation errors either.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some info on Batman:Bad Blood

quote:

Chuck and Dexter alum Yvonne Strahovski (currently starring on ABC's The Astronaut Wives Club) will voice Batwoman (and her alter ego, Katherine Kane), while Gaius Charles (best known for Friday Night Lights and Grey's Anatomy and now appearing on NBC's Aquarius) plays Batwing and his alter ego, Luke Fox.

Plot details are not yet known, but Batman: Bad Blood—which is part of the DC Universe Original Movie franchise based on DC Comics characters—follows a storyline that began in 2014's Son of Batman and continued this year in Batman vs. Robin. The returning voice cast includes Jason O'Mara (Batman), Stuart Allan (Robin), Sean Maher (Nightwing) and Morena Baccarin (Talia al Ghul). In addition to Strahovski and Gaius, Bad Blood features Ernie Hudson as Lucius Fox, a longtime associate of Bruce Wayne, and Luke's father.

Batman: Bad Blood is set for release in early 2016 on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD. Two other movies will follow later in the year: Justice League vs. Titans (featuring the introduction of the Teen Titans to this animated universe) and Batman: The Killing Joke, based on the seminal graphic novel by writer Alan Moore and artist Brian Bolland.

Really? loving Batwing instead of Tim, Barbara or Jason? :raise:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Some info on Batman:Bad Blood

Really? loving Batwing instead of Tim, Barbara or Jason? :raise:

Do we need to add "racist" to the long list of adjectives applicable to D_T

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Only Dick and Damian seem to exist in the continuity of those 3 movies. They've done 2 movies without them, suddenly bringing in these other protégés of Batman that haven't been mentioned at all would be out of place.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Four Score posted:

Come on, that's going pretty far. Batwing is a terrible character and him being prioritized over any of the other major characters is like if they put Flamebird in. Make one of them black, invent a new black character for the movie, but no one cares about Batwing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jason Todd is a terrible character.

It's Luke Fox Batwing, and they're including his father in the movie too so obviously that's part of the story.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 19, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm sure you could write a story around Flamebird, too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They did! Chris Kent was in it and it kind of sucked balls!

WickedHate posted:

It has a pretty decent ending moment but other than that I really can't think of anything good about it.
It posits that all it takes for a good man to be brought down is a tiny little pebble amidst an already poo poo day. Just one bad day that's so perfectly bad, the guy has no choice but to poo poo all over the social contract because gently caress You Guys I'm Out.

In one corner, The Joker, who was driven mad by one such accident. In the other (and the man that should be our saviour) is a man who had a supremely poo poo day as a child and ended up permanently damaged by it.

I mean, technically Joker's point is made. Jim Gordon just gets dragged into it because why the gently caress not. And the story of Job in Gotham is a pretty good hook, ya dig.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Four Score posted:

TBF to him, Batwing is pretty awful.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

TBF to him, Batwing is pretty awful.

Having not read any Batwing except like one of the slick Future's End one-shots that choked up the stands last year, can someone explain to me what makes him so bad? I just thought it was cool that there was finally an international Batman that actually felt Batman-inspired, though I guess that was the incarnation that preceded Fox?

and I didn't see "it" complaining about Kathy Kane :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
People care about Batwoman.

Though personally I dislike her. She's literally Bruce's cousin but she's so unconnected to the Batfamily. That scene in B&R where everyone goes off to rescue Damian and they leave her in charge because none of them really know each other that well and she doesn't care about Damian is hilarious.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Four Score posted:

though I guess that was the incarnation that preceded Fox?

That's basically it (for me at least). The first Batwing was a neat concept but his book wasn't selling and obviously having it set in Africa made it much harder to boost sales by doing crossovers with other books. So DC took the easy way out and just made a new Batwing, Luke Fox, conveniently located right in Gotham so all the other Batfamily can cameo. Everything about the change bothers me and just rubs me the wrong way. Also the few arcs he had before the comic was cancelled were pretty dull as hell and Fox himself wasn't exactly a fantastic character so it was just bad all around.

Man I just talked a lot about wasting money reading a comic long after I stopped liking it huh?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wasn't there also some kind of justification on Bruce's part that basically boiled down to "Thank god that I can finally give YOU the mantle to Blackwing, Poochie Luke, who is the person I originally intended to serve on my board of multiethnic Bat-Analogues!"?

• Locked thread