Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

big mean giraffe posted:

Source is much more than just a rendering engine.

Whatever, I don't know the pricise terminology - anyway, you need to program your controller scripts to achieve best results, especially when you are working with what amounts to an experimental version.

Like - the Cryengine is much more than a rendering engine, doesn't mean the Star Citizen people have been able to use much of its architecture for their purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Alain Post posted:

Bloodlines is really good, by the way. Unlike Fallout 3, which stinks.

This.

I like that in my current Tale of Two Wastelands run, my first time really "playing" Fallout 3, I find myself making excuses to return to the Mojave Wasteland. Oh, my dad just died? 'kay great, don't give a poo poo, I'm going back to New Vegas to blow up some Fiends with my man Boone. Keep in mind that I've played the story of New Vegas four complete times, and the furthest I've gotten in the story in Fallout 3 is the Citadel.

I just installed the mod that lets you take every companion at once with you, so I have a full crew of New Vegas people with me in the Capital Wasteland. Maybe it'll make it playable :shrug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

It's good, but it sinks a lot when it turns to combat-heavy gameplay. Much like Fallout.

(The first few chapters are amazing, the final chapters are actually trash)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Eh, the end to Bloodlines wasn't so bad. The only lovely part was the one boss fight with the tentacle cthulu monster thing, because she had about 9 billion HP.

I have this problem where I can't replay Bloodlines as anything but a Malkavian. I keep meaning to go back and play a Nosferatu, but spending most of the game skulking in the sewers seems kinda uninteresting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The last few chapters of Bloodlines are definitely bad but the ending is at least pretty fun so I generally slog through them (unlike SS2, which is one of my favorite games ever despite the fact that I play past the Von Braun maybe a third of the time)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The actual ending of the game ending is a loving non-entity of an abomination. Like there is zero payoff at all in any sense. Just quick scene, story over, the end. That game had the most hosed up development cycle possible, and it's so sad to see the later parts of the game come up when you see all the work that went into the earlier parts.

e: And now I've made myself remember a horrific mess of a game, I suppose it's time to talk about Fallout again.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 19, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Vengarr posted:

I have this problem where I can't replay Bloodlines as anything but a Malkavian. I keep meaning to go back and play a Nosferatu, but spending most of the game skulking in the sewers seems kinda uninteresting.
Playing a Noz becomes a LOT more tolerable once you get the power that lets you walk around unnoticed. Also, Fat Larry's happy to sell to you anything once you convince him you're not a crackhead.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Alain Post posted:

I honestly enjoy gun combat more in Bloodlines than I did in Fallout 3, as low a bar as that is. I mean, a lovely beta version of the Source engine is still better suited for combat than Gamebryo.

"Gamebryo" gets used by some people as shorthand for "The Bethesda Engine", and by some people who think it's an actual thing. It's not really. It's so bare-bones you can make a wide variety of games on it. Civ 4, the PC port of Bully, Divinity II, Rift....a whole wide range of games got made on Gamebryo and they got made just fine. The reason Bethesda made poo poo gun combat is they are poo poo at gun combat. We know this because.....they said it, in the most diplomatic way possible. So they hired a bunch of dudes from iD and Bungie to help them make it better. Will it be great? Probably not, they *were* poo poo at gun combat and even knowing that and getting outside help it's unlikely they'll rocket to great. It'll probably be better at least.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

All I want is to stomp faces in while wearing my beloved T-51b again. Give me a sledgehammer and power armor and let me go to town on some loving Enclave. I don't care.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gonkish posted:

All I want is to stomp faces in while wearing my beloved T-51b again. Give me a sledgehammer and power armor and let me go to town on some loving Enclave. I don't care.

Power armor promises to be good, unlike any previous FO game in which it was a pitiful marginal upgrade over mediocre grabage.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

steinrokkan posted:

Power armor promises to be good, unlike any previous FO game in which it was a pitiful marginal upgrade over mediocre grabage.

Yeah it's nice them treating it like an actual suit of armor, not just different textured clothing with 1+ to strength and -1 to Agility

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bholder posted:

Again, it's like FPS RPGs exist or something.

A game with the setting of Fallout and the gameplay of STALKER would be so good.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Plus it's actually a thing you can do in Project Nevada, and the penalty is that it might blow up the lock making it unopenable.

thats the kind of thing you can only get away with in an optional hardcore mod though. I think if a lot of people found out that they locked out content by sheer random chance theyd probably reload a save and brute force it or just get really angry.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

steinrokkan posted:

uh in fallout 1 and 2 it turned everything into a binary "take no damage or just loving die because you got crit for like 500 damage :rip:"

nothing like watching your life total tick down the whole way before the game lets you reload lmfao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

homeless poster posted:

i heard a similar argument from sawyer on these very boards when NV was new-ish when someone asked why you couldn't use explosives to open locked doors / boxes or just muscle them open with a high STR and a solid weapon; his response was something like well if you could do that NO ONE WOULD EVER TAKE LOCK PICKING! hmmmm yes there's literally no way that a game designer could otherwise enforce negative consequences to blowing open / forcing open containers. no way at all. it isn't like you could make explosions extremely loud and alert all hostiles in the area to come figure out what the gently caress, and it isn't like explosives wouldn't damage a ton of whatever was inside the box you were trying to open. there's no way that you could make the lock picking approach completely silent or allow it to otherwise bypass alarms. nope, being able to force locks with bombs or a sword is just too unbalanced to ever be considered. it definitely makes much more sense that the flimsiest wooden door in the world should be able to withstand direct hits from a rocket launcher

It still marginalizes the skill. The only thing that lockpicking does is allow you to pick locks. That's it. It's not even like Science, which synergizes well with Energy Weapons, has a significant amount of dialogue checks in the game, and even allows you to open certain locked doors (Lockpick has like, one speech check in Dead Money, and maybe a few specific perks that are garbage). It's not like Repair, which has one of the best associated perks in the game, and helps out combat by letting you make powerful ammo. It is a skill that really does one thing, and the fact that it really has no use other than that one thing already makes it one of the worst skills in the game. Like, even if explosives had the effect of breaking stuff in crates- giving it a "Lockpick but 50% as good" effect still makes it a better pick than Lockpick considering all the other good effects Explosives and associated perks have.

Lockpick should have just been combined with Sneak and called "Stealth" or something. Or even combine it with Repair and rationalize it as being really good with tools, though Repair already is kind of super good.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
KOTOR 2 tried to solve the problem that KOTOR had with lockpicking, in that in the first game it was a pointless skill because you could bash everything open, by making items break if you bashed a lock open. There were a few problems with this, the first being that sentinels, the class with a high number of skills, was still good at other things, rendering the choice about bashing somewhat moot. I do not remember specifically how the mechanic worked (and a quick google isn't very forthcoming), but I believe that it was static, which meant the ability to use locked containers to hide more interesting or unique items is a difficult decision design wise, as either there is nothing in the containers of real importance (thus, no real reason to take lock picking) or there are things that can be missed in a lovely way (encouraging all players to taking it). Randomizing what gets broken just reintroduces that save scumming problem that was trying to be avoided in percentage skills. I imagine this possibly factored into their design choices regarding lockpicking in NV as well.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It seems like every game I play has the exact same lockpicking mechanic, so not entirely sure what the issue is there

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

OwlFancier posted:

A game with the setting of Fallout and the gameplay of STALKER would be so good.

Not enough people to make it financially profitable would play it. STALKER is way to hard for even most pc gamers.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Alain Post posted:

It still marginalizes the skill. The only thing that lockpicking does is allow you to pick locks. That's it. It's not even like Science, which synergizes well with Energy Weapons, has a significant amount of dialogue checks in the game, and even allows you to open certain locked doors (Lockpick has like, one speech check in Dead Money, and maybe a few specific perks that are garbage). It's not like Repair, which has one of the best associated perks in the game, and helps out combat by letting you make powerful ammo. It is a skill that really does one thing, and the fact that it really has no use other than that one thing already makes it one of the worst skills in the game. Like, even if explosives had the effect of breaking stuff in crates- giving it a "Lockpick but 50% as good" effect still makes it a better pick than Lockpick considering all the other good effects Explosives and associated perks have.
this is just bad/lazy game design. the only reason there's next to no skill checks or skill synergies or related talents is because the designers chose not to incorporate those things. there is nothing inherent about naming a skill Lock Picking that suddenly causes any game that includes it to say WELP ALL THIS SKILL CAN DO IS PICK LOCK FURTHERMORE ANY OTHER ATTEMPT AT MAKING THIS SKILL USEFUL IS MAGICALLY NULL AND VOID. think of it this way, in most games that feature Lock Picking, there's also a key or key card or switch or some other way of opening (most) locked objects - all Lock Picking is really doing is allowing you the player to save some time and/or effort in not having to track down a key first. on the flip side, there's also usually containers that magically break the internal logic of the game and are INACCESSABLE no matter how much Lock Picking skill you have invested, either for plot contrivances or other reasons. now, you're telling me i just put a bunch of points into a skill with a very narrow range of use, and then it can't even do the intended function at the developer's whim? what an amazing way to structure the mechanics of your game!

Alain Post posted:

Lockpick should have just been combined with Sneak and called "Stealth" or something. Or even combine it with Repair and rationalize it as being really good with tools, though Repair already is kind of super good.
ding ding ding this is a much better idea. if you have a skill that you, as a designer, have interpreted so narrowly that it's either mandatory or nigh useless, you have done a bad job designing said skill. rolling the function of that skill into another broader skill makes much more sense than keeping some vestigial legacy mechanic because a previous game almost 20 years prior used that mechanic. see combining big guns and small guns into the same skill, etc.

personally i think they should have streamlined it further and done more cleanup, like make energy weapons either part of guns or part of science, and stick lock picking in with sneak, and make unarmed and melee the same general skill and then use the weapons or the associated perks to let you specialize, etc.

edit: the melee and unarmed split was also an egregiously bad design decision, because in practice you had to max out both skills anyway if you wanted to make a character who was viable in melee combat. oh, you want to be able to consistently knock foes down, and also be able to bypass some enemy DR, and maybe get some general bonus damage too? lol good luck buddy you have to skill up two separate skills because half of the melee combat perks are arbitrarily gated behind the opposite melee combat skill! oh also did you fantasize about being a big strong man/woman and punching or stabbing monsters to death? lol you better not tank your agility score because the designers also decided to gate some of the best melee combat perks behind an attribute that doesn't really benefit a melee character, now that the game is no longer turned based!

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 19, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

PerpetualSelf posted:

Not enough people to make it financially profitable would play it. STALKER is way to hard for even most pc gamers.

The biggest problem with Stalker is the absolutely horrible gun sound effects. Otherwise it's pretty fun.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

cargohills posted:

The biggest problem with Stalker is the absolutely horrible gun sound effects. Otherwise it's pretty fun.

For me it's the camera bobbing. Like why is that a thing. I tried to play it last year and couldn't find the mod to disable that again and I gave up because camera bobbing makes me motion sick.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
The other lovely thing about Melee: Unarmed gets the OP perk Paralyzing Palm (it only has a chance of happening in VATS, but since punching requires almost no AP, you can roll the dice all day). So being good enough at Unarmed for that, but not using it makes your Melee build just a gimmick.

Also, Unarmed rolls off Endurance, while Melee rolls off Strength. High Endurance is useful for both builds, because you get shot a lot running up to enemies. Strength just gives you extra carry weight, which you don't need so much for either build, because you likely just have one weapon that doesn't require ammo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PerpetualSelf posted:

But it was so good.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tobaccrow posted:

The other lovely thing about Melee: Unarmed gets the OP perk Paralyzing Palm (it only has a chance of happening in VATS, but since punching requires almost no AP, you can roll the dice all day). So being good enough at Unarmed for that, but not using it makes your Melee build just a gimmick.

Also, Unarmed rolls off Endurance, while Melee rolls off Strength. High Endurance is useful for both builds, because you get shot a lot running up to enemies. Strength just gives you extra carry weight, which you don't need so much for either build, because you likely just have one weapon that doesn't require ammo.

Yeah, STR really should have provided a marginal HP boost to balance out the lack of support for it. Having all guns/weapons have a minimum STR requirement was actually quite the clever bit of balancing on NV's part, but the lack of skill-based attachments did it no favors.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

relevant cross-posting

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's pretty funny though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That book is worth 25 gold per pound, but you have to sell it to the general stores, which have probably already run out of money from you selling jewelry or the excess potions that the alchemy shops couldn't afford.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
I just heard from my uncle who works at Nintendo that Fallout 4 is canceled.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I know it's probably not because of your uncle specifically but thank him for me anyway.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I lied.

I'm sorry.

My uncle doesn't really work for Nintendo.

He works for SEGA and says that Sonic is confirmed for Fallout 4, and also that Fallout 4 is canceled because it was way past cool.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

is there a pdf of that book available? I don't have Skyrim installed but want to read it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

JackBadass posted:

He works for SEGA and says that Sonic is confirmed for Fallout 4, and also that Fallout 4 is canceled because it was way past cool.
The internal logic of this just doesn't compute with me. The original Sonic games were indeed way past cool, but they sure didn't cancel them... I just don't see why they would cancel a way past cool game, I don't... why would they do such a thing

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

The internal logic of this just doesn't compute with me. The original Sonic games were indeed way past cool, but they sure didn't cancel them... I just don't see why they would cancel a way past cool game, I don't... why would they do such a thing

It was so far past cool that the XBone couldn't handle it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

JackBadass posted:

It was so far past cool that the XBone couldn't handle it.
Blast processing, ah of course they forgot the damned blast processing.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Heavy Metal posted:

Blast processing, ah of course they forgot the damned blast processing.

Fallout 4 just needs Mode 7 and Super FX.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Speaking of lame-o marketing schemes

Pete Hines of Bethesda Blasts Marketing Rules

quote:

"Shadowman 2 was probably ahead of its time," VP of Marketing Pete Hines starts. "Think about it: 'We're gonna advertise...on gravestones'. It's like, whoa. You've got a game about death and shadowy men, so connecting that with graveyards and death is a no-brainer. I mean, everybody dies."

Hines' reflections on the ill-fated Shadowman 2 marketing campaign follows Bethesda's plans to advertise Fallout 4 by offering survivors of the Chernobyl, Fukushima, and Three Mile Island nuclear disasters a free copy of Fallout 4. "No DLC included, though," Hines says with a smile, adding that, "if you're really f***ed up, we're planning to also throw in a special, limited-edition Fallout Shelter avatar."

Hines didn't go into too much detail, but suggested that the avatar would be a ghoul with the player's name permanently attached to it.

"I'm hoping to see some really messed up people showing up to these events...flippers, floppy appendages, tails. You think there will be anybody with, you know...magic powers? God I hope so."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Between a few good ideas of "games should only have one E3 they show up in so you don't make more hype than you can create content to provide" and "the real dog model of Dogmeat went around the studio getting pet a lot", there are some real gems like telling people who want to play as the dog that "We’re stopping at the humans. Men and women only". Like that will stop modders.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Crabtree posted:

Between a few good ideas of "games should only have one E3 they show up in so you don't make more hype than you can create content to provide" and "the real dog model of Dogmeat went around the studio getting pet a lot", there are some real gems like telling people who want to play as the dog that "We’re stopping at the humans. Men and women only". Like that will stop modders.

todd howard will never stop me from playing as a dogboy

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

"survivors of three mile island"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

quote:

GamesBeat: The Pip-Boy, where did that come from?

Hines: The Pip-Boy has been part of all of the Fallout games. We actually did a Pip-Boy for Fallout 3. It was like a clock. But years ago, Todd was like, “No, we’ll do a real Pip-Boy this time. You’re going to be able to put your phone in it. It’s a real thing you can wear on your wrist.” He was adamant about that right after Fallout 3. It was always something he really wanted to do. It’s going to be awesome.

Haha.

• Locked thread