Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Thor is a coming of age story for Thor the thousand year old moody teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Honestly all his trailers and intro credits are consistently awesome and better than the films they represent. Like The Dawn of the Dead intro/intro credits were more memorable than most of the film itself. Same with 300 and its trailer.
the Dawn of the Dead title sequence was Kyle Cooper, not Snyder.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I know it's standard movie practise that if you can't see it, it's not happening, but I was pretty amazed at the weirdo neighbour's sound-proof curtain in The Watch.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

thespaceinvader posted:

Thor is a coming of age story for Thor the thousand year old moody teenager.

Needs more origin imo.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Rysithusiku posted:

Needs more origin imo.

Well, to be fair it's bark was worse than its bite. I'd probably be thor too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

the watchmen movie fixes the terrible climax of the book so good on ya zack attack

The original ending is admittedly very silly but a giant mutant space squid surrounded by mountains of corpses is a lot more interesting to me, both as a concept and an image, than fake dr.atom vaporizing everybody.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like most things about most Zack Snyder movies, but the final fight between Ozy and Night Owl and Rorschach fell kinda flat for me. In the comic it was very simple and very brutal for it, there was just no way these two guys were a match for Adrian "Manners" Veidt. In the movie they all just turned into Spartans. I guess it was also meant to tip off the slower people in the audience that Veidt was the one who killed the Comedian because the way he fought.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

The original ending is admittedly very silly but a giant mutant space squid surrounded by mountains of corpses is a lot more interesting to me, both as a concept and an image, than fake dr.atom vaporizing everybody.

It was basically the same ending: humanity persuaded to work together by the appearance of an antipathetic outside force. Which you prefer probably depends on whether you think the Russians were more likely to cooperate with America in the face of a rogue god or a ten ton vagina dropped on Times Square.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jedit posted:

It was basically the same ending: humanity persuaded to work together by the appearance of an antipathetic outside force. Which you prefer probably depends on whether you think the Russians were more likely to cooperate with America in the face of a rogue god or a ten ton vagina dropped on Times Square.

The way I remember most complaints it's that the rogue god was working for the Americans, so the Russians would carry a grudge about that.

Which I don't agree with. Manhatten's rampage would have served as a big fat piece of humble pie for Nixon, and nobody needed to eat humble pie more than him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

The way I remember most complaints it's that the rogue god was working for the Americans, so the Russians would carry a grudge about that.

Which I don't agree with. Manhatten's rampage would have served as a big fat piece of humble pie for Nixon, and nobody needed to eat humble pie more than him.

Yes, but the Russians were being held in check by fear of Manhattan. The question is, would they back down because America suddenly lost its deterrent?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jedit posted:

Yes, but the Russians were being held in check by fear of Manhattan. The question is, would they back down because America suddenly lost its deterrent?

To my understanding, the fundamental problem of the Cold War was that these two superpowers were caught in a game of empty posturing. Basically, Ozy's scheme caused America to blink first, the idea being that once the tension was relieved both sides would realize what a stupid conflict it was to begin with. Of course this doesn't hold up if Russia really was interested in conquering the world.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah, they both work. The comic plan probably makes more sense in the long run, since the idea is that it 'proves' to humanity that they aren't alone in the universe. Manhattan watching over everybody only really works until people start wondering if he's still there. But in the short term at least the film plan spreads the destruction evenly, it's harder to imagine all countries coming together if only New York was actually destroyed and only America had access to the supposed alien remains.

In any case Ozy only felt he needed a short term distraction anyway. He had to do something to get everyone to back down from the imminent conflict, but his long term plan was always based on cheap renewable energy and providing 'infinite resources' in order to make the idea of war obsolete. He just knew he would never have the chance to enact it without a dramatic event to get everyone to back down from the brink.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

snergle posted:

I cant wait for anderson to ruin star trek some how. Then all of scifi will have felt his :mediocre: writing and feel the hate I do.

Here's my Star Trek bitch - the Kobayashi Maru.

First featured in Wrath of Khan in 1982 where we discover Kirk had cheated his way out of an unwinnable test while still a cadet and made his way into legend. It also comes up 27 years late in the reboot where we finally get to see how Kirk did it.

How did he cheat Starfleet? How did he first show his tactical genius which lead to him being awarded for original thinking while still a cadet? With almost 30 years to think about it, they were going to come up with something really loving cool, right?

Nope. We get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDg674aS-F4&t=28s

It's just so obvious and stupid. Everything goes black and resets and huge letters, fifty feet tall and on fire, appear over Kirk's heading saying "LOOK AT ME, I'M CHEATING!"

Marxism
Feb 14, 2012
Were the new star trek movies really meant to connect to the show? Christ how do you people keep all this poo poo straight? I only watch good poo poo where the writers paint themselves into corners and then reboot so they can do it again but with younger actors and poo poo.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Marxism posted:

Were the new star trek movies really meant to connect to the show? Christ how do you people keep all this poo poo straight? I only watch good poo poo where the writers paint themselves into corners and then reboot so they can do it again but with younger actors and poo poo.

The new movies were more tie-ins to the old movies. It was kinda fun for the first one because it was a reboot but different because it was still technically in the same continuity.

The second one was really bad because instead of doing something new and fun they just remade the best of the original movies but made it far worse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gorilla Salad posted:

First featured in Wrath of Khan in 1982 where we discover Kirk had cheated his way out of an unwinnable test while still a cadet and made his way into legend. It also comes up 27 years late in the reboot where we finally get to see how Kirk did it.

How did he cheat Starfleet? How did he first show his tactical genius which lead to him being awarded for original thinking while still a cadet? With almost 30 years to think about it, they were going to come up with something really loving cool, right?

Nope. We get this:

It's just so obvious and stupid. Everything goes black and resets and huge letters, fifty feet tall and on fire, appear over Kirk's heading saying "LOOK AT ME, I'M CHEATING!"

I do really like the whole "Jim, their shields are still up" "are they?" interaction, but yeah it was typical Hollywood overdoing it to be too :cool: and making it unrealistic.

He may as well have just worn a T-shirt to the tribunal that said "I cheated". How did he not expect to get court martial-ed over that?

The original Kirk sounded like he was being pretty clever, but in the reboot the only reason that Kirk doesn't get kicked out of starfleet forever and never becomes a captain is because of an extremely coincidental emergency? Comeon.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think they were really asking for it by making everyone take an un-passable test.

WHO CHEATED FIRST??

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

I think they were really asking for it by making everyone take an un-passable test.

WHO CHEATED FIRST??

I think they were supposed to learn about failure or something and Kirk's ego couldn't take it.

Tell Geordi to get in that tube and take a lethal dose of rads for the team was the sequel.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

syscall girl posted:

I think they were supposed to learn about failure or something and Kirk's ego couldn't take it.

Tell Geordi to get in that tube and take a lethal dose of rads for the team was the sequel.

According to the film it was to teach you that you wouldn't always win and to know fear of defeat or w/e. That's completely pointless though if you already know the test is unwinnable beforehand though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

jabby posted:

Yeah, they both work. The comic plan probably makes more sense in the long run, since the idea is that it 'proves' to humanity that they aren't alone in the universe. Manhattan watching over everybody only really works until people start wondering if he's still there. But in the short term at least the film plan spreads the destruction evenly, it's harder to imagine all countries coming together if only New York was actually destroyed and only America had access to the supposed alien remains.

In any case Ozy only felt he needed a short term distraction anyway. He had to do something to get everyone to back down from the imminent conflict, but his long term plan was always based on cheap renewable energy and providing 'infinite resources' in order to make the idea of war obsolete. He just knew he would never have the chance to enact it without a dramatic event to get everyone to back down from the brink.
The book ending is an outside solution, the sword that strikes through the Gordian Knot that is Earth's politics. Remember that Ozymandias' whole deal is following in Alexander the Great's footsteps. That's why it comes so out of left field for the reader as well. It has to be outrageous, unorthodox and unbelievable, or it plain doesn't work. By contrast, the film ending is Ozymandias using Dr. Manhattan, but Doc is wholly engrained in Earth's politics and, one might say, the very reason they're in the state they're in. Using him as the solution is trying to solve the Gordian Knot by tugging the thread that's looped through all the other ones and itself the most. If you go with that you haven't understood one of the book's central themes, one of its major characters, and the point of the historical legend. You might as well end the movie on a shot of Rorschach running from the police with a voiceover about "the hero we deserve, but not the one we need".

The Watchmen movie proved that the comic book movie industry as a whole isn't ready for a Watchmen movie.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The thing I didn't like about the Watchmen movie was that it treated violence as cool, as something to be lingered over in salivating slo-mo while like a woman's calf muscle explodes as a bullet rips through it or captain america rapes the prom queen in the rec room. If Watchmen takes place in a world where violence isn't horrifying then there's no point, there's no satire, it's just R-rated Batman Forever

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought it did the opposite to be honest. Instead of violence being short and quick you were forced to stare at it in gross discomfort.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I thought it did the opposite to be honest. Instead of violence being short and quick you were forced to stare at it in gross discomfort.

I can not stand the casual killing of bad guys.

Hero protagonist gunning down waves of faceless baddies is repugnant and has real world repercussions.

poo poo's practically illegal in some European countries.

Give me a dude bleeding out and mewling for his life with some empathy. Make the audience suffer if you have to kill a character.

Life ain't cheap.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Nope. We get this:

One of the old star trek novels had a plot that was basically 'the crew sits down and talks about how they dealt with the Kobayashi Maru'. In that book, the test treated the Klingon ships like they were a hydra; each ship you kill would result in two more ships warping in. In the book, Kirk hacked the Klingon ships to recognize 'James Tiberius Kirk' as the best friend a Klingon could have, and of course they will aid in the rescue mission.

Scottys was basically "I used a known bug in the simulation to transport cans of antimatter into their bridge, and kept doing so until the sheer number of ships overwhelmed our transporters"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kobayashi_Maru_(Star_Trek_novel)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

syscall girl posted:

I can not stand the casual killing of bad guys.

Hero protagonist gunning down waves of faceless baddies is repugnant and has real world repercussions.

poo poo's practically illegal in some European countries.

Give me a dude bleeding out and mewling for his life with some empathy. Make the audience suffer if you have to kill a character.

Life ain't cheap.

The watchmen aren't exactly good guys

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

The watchmen aren't exactly good guys

That wasn't my beef. It's more of a general irritation about action movies.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

swamp waste posted:

The thing I didn't like about the Watchmen movie was that it treated violence as cool, as something to be lingered over in salivating slo-mo while like a woman's calf muscle explodes as a bullet rips through it or captain america rapes the prom queen in the rec room. If Watchmen takes place in a world where violence isn't horrifying then there's no point, there's no satire, it's just R-rated Batman Forever
The thing that made me nuts about the Watchmen movie was that, in order to make all the flashy eye candy big scenes fit into a feature length film they had to literally cut the heart out of the book. In addition to cutting the two best pieces of Alan Moore's writing for no drat reason from the movie, the filmmakers removed basically all the minor characters who, in the climax of the story are, by their actions, refuting both Rorschach's nihilism and Adrian's utilitarianism. It's actually really important for the book and having them absent from the movie so you can fit in Big Figure is horrible.

Also cutting "Noting ever ends, Adrian" is inexcusable.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

In addition to cutting the two best pieces of Alan Moore's writing for no drat reason from the movie

Would one of those be Rorschach's interview with the psychiatrist, the part where he discusses when he became who he was? Why they felt the need to change even one word of that is beyond me.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Lemon posted:

Would one of those be Rorschach's interview with the psychiatrist, the part where he discusses when he became who he was? Why they felt the need to change even one word of that is beyond me.
Don't forget they also had him just kill the guy with a meat cleaver.

quote:

Stood in firelight, sweltering.
Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone.
Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else.
Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose.
This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us.
Only us.
Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world. Was Rorschach.
Does that answer your questions, Doctor?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

EmmyOk posted:

If that were the case, they wouldn't have ramped it up by a factor of ten.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

The thing that made me nuts about the Watchmen movie was that, in order to make all the flashy eye candy big scenes fit into a feature length film they had to literally cut the heart out of the book. In addition to cutting the two best pieces of Alan Moore's writing for no drat reason from the movie, the filmmakers removed basically all the minor characters who, in the climax of the story are, by their actions, refuting both Rorschach's nihilism and Adrian's utilitarianism. It's actually really important for the book and having them absent from the movie so you can fit in Big Figure is horrible.

Also cutting "Noting ever ends, Adrian" is inexcusable.

Did you watch the directors cut? I'm pretty sure 'nothing ever ends' is in there, as well as Tales of the Black Freighter and a couple of the minor characters you talk about.

Also I kind of liked the change to how Rorschach killed his first criminal. After all he is supposed to be the ultimate moral absolutist, if he felt the guy had to die why wouldn't he do it himself? Chaining him up and setting the building on fire to see if he can escape just seems too Jigsaw-like. If he wanted him dead it seems out of character to leave it up to the criminal himself.

EDIT: Actually I might be thinking of the animated version of the comic for the 'nothing ever ends' line.

jabby has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Jul 19, 2015

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I watched watchmen on a plane, and isn't there a scene where two heroes are walking home and they're randomly attacked in an alley by a gang, and then there's like 5 solid minutes of them glamorously spin-kicking the teeth out of their mouths and shattering their limbs and I think straight up killing a bunch of them, all in super-badass slow motion. The gang of faceless mooks who are presumably just trying to mug some randoms bviously keep suicidially charging one by one at them, after like 5 of their buddies have been completely mutilated.

I'm sure there's a scene later on when a guy announces "actually though violence has real consequences and is bad" though.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Magnus Manfist posted:

I watched watchmen on a plane, and isn't there a scene where two heroes are walking home and they're randomly attacked in an alley by a gang, and then there's like 5 solid minutes of them glamorously spin-kicking the teeth out of their mouths and shattering their limbs and I think straight up killing a bunch of them, all in super-badass slow motion. The gang of faceless mooks who are presumably just trying to mug some randoms bviously keep suicidially charging one by one at them, after like 5 of their buddies have been completely mutilated.

I'm sure there's a scene later on when a guy announces "actually though violence has real consequences and is bad" though.

Yes, a gang tries to mug/kill them and they straight up kill half the members and brutally beat the rest in slow motion. Then they casually stroll off to continue their day chatting about how exhilarating it was to fight crime again after all these years.

Whether you see that as glamorizing violence or a harsh take on what kind of psychopaths would actually want to become costumed heroes kind of depends on your perspective. Later in the film it's demonstrated that Rorschach putting a gang member's cousin in a wheelchair indirectly causes the death of the original Night Owl, and that the previous actions of the Watchmen have caused riots among the population. I wouldn't say that overall the film presents the actions of the 'heroes' as being a good thing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Magnus Manfist posted:

It's in the book. It's part of the whole thing where Night Owl and Silk Specter can't have sex unless they're doing super hero stuff.

Also best interpretation of Watchmen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

jabby posted:

Also I kind of liked the change to how Rorschach killed his first criminal. After all he is supposed to be the ultimate moral absolutist, if he felt the guy had to die why wouldn't he do it himself? Chaining him up and setting the building on fire to see if he can escape just seems too Jigsaw-like. If he wanted him dead it seems out of character to leave it up to the criminal himself.
He wants him dead, but he's also insane and wants to see him burn alive, or know he's mutilating himself to get out. And he waits outside for an hour, I don't think the implication is if the guy did saw off his hand and stumbled out, Rorschach would let him go. He's all about psychologically terrorizing criminals.

jabby posted:

Yes, a gang tries to mug/kill them and they straight up kill half the members and brutally beat the rest in slow motion. Then they casually stroll off to continue their day chatting about how exhilarating it was to fight crime again after all these years.
Whereas in the book they're completely winded and need a cigarette and look at each other in a way that makes it pretty clear crimefighting isn't their only motivation for the costume thing. At least in Dan's case, not even the primary one. But if you present it that way to the audience one or two of them might start thinking about why they're watching these movies and uuuh probably more conductive for the well being of the genre's box office to make the sex awkward through a Hallelujah cover and not rock the boat.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The first two harry potter movies were on tv last week and tonight, it's a shame how underutilized John Cleese is, I know it's a cameo but would it have killed them to have more than one joke for two movies?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

He wants him dead, but he's also insane and wants to see him burn alive, or know he's mutilating himself to get out. And he waits outside for an hour, I don't think the implication is if the guy did saw off his hand and stumbled out, Rorschach would let him go. He's all about psychologically terrorizing criminals.

Whereas in the book they're completely winded and need a cigarette and look at each other in a way that makes it pretty clear crimefighting isn't their only motivation for the costume thing. At least in Dan's case, not even the primary one. But if you present it that way to the audience one or two of them might start thinking about why they're watching these movies and uuuh probably more conductive for the well being of the genre's box office to make the sex awkward through a Hallelujah cover and not rock the boat.
That was the original Hallelujah.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I just watched "Never Let Me Go" and I think I just didn't get it. The main characters are all clones that are raised in boarding school to one day have their organs harvested. They're all well aware of this, but never really seem to care. They're all worried and clearly don't want to sacrifice their lives. They're completely the same as a normal person and there's basically nothing keeping them in line. At no point in the movie does anyone even mention the idea of running, hiding, fleeing the country, getting a new identity, deliberately making their organs unusable, suicide out of pure spite, or anything except calmly donating their organs until they die. I know it's not the point of the story, but it seems like a major thing is being ignored.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

The first two harry potter movies were on tv last week and tonight, it's a shame how underutilized John Cleese is, I know it's a cameo but would it have killed them to have more than one joke for two movies?

The character even gets a bigger subplot in one of the later books but its completely cut out of the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kurtofan posted:

They totally underused the ghosts in general in the films. But then, I guess they had to cut a lot from some of them to make them manageable lengths. The ghosts were some of the more interesting parts of Hogwarts.

The thing that bothered me about the HP films was the patronuses. Patroni. Patronii? Patronodes? I don't know anyway - in the book they were described as glowing lights to start off with, but later as gllowing animals attacking the dementors. IN the film they're just boring glowy lights when they're actually used in a fight, I would have loved to see the end of Azkaban having a charging stag mowing down dementors left and right (and indeed the final battle of Deathly Hallows could have had the patronus legions to go with the other funky defences) but noooo.