Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Do the plex forums have separate login credentials from the plex app? Or is it a shared password?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Unacknowledged posted:

Do the plex forums have separate login credentials from the plex app? Or is it a shared password?

Single sign-in. If you used / had a forums account, the password is the same.

Apparently salted hashes were stolen, so the chances of them being used ever are gazillions to one, but if you were one of the accounts included in the forums database you'll get an email forcing you to reset the password to log back in.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Khablam posted:

Single sign-in. If you used / had a forums account, the password is the same.

Apparently salted hashes were stolen, so the chances of them being used ever are gazillions to one, but if you were one of the accounts included in the forums database you'll get an email forcing you to reset the password to log back in.

Awesome, was wondering why I didn't have a forums entry in my lastpass. It's a unique password so I'm totally good, already changed the password too. Thanks for confirming that for me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fuuuuck. Hackers gonna know my trakt and last.FM logins now.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

If I want to share my pled library with friends, what's the best way to do this without giving them my account password?

Will they need to pay for plex pass? New to PLEX, though I'm sure that's obvious.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

tonic posted:

If I want to share my pled library with friends, what's the best way to do this without giving them my account password?

Will they need to pay for plex pass? New to PLEX, though I'm sure that's obvious.

Have them create their own Plex accounts (it's free, they don't need Plex Pass), get their usernames, and then invite them to your server. You can even manage what libraries you want to share with them. Detailed info on sharing your server here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201105738-Create-a-New-Share

Once they've accepted the invite, they can access your Plex server, for free, from http://plex.tv/web/app (they just have to login with their account and then they'll be able to access your shared server). If they want, they can also purchase the apps for Android/iOS/Roku/Fire OS devices to access your server from their phones, tablets, streaming boxes, etc.

[edit]

Also note that something to consider when sharing your server is how many streams your server will be sending out: will 4 or 5 of your friends be watching stuff at the same time? If that's possible, your server specs and internet upload speed need to be able to manage that, otherwise your friends will have a terrible experience streaming, i.e., content will be constantly buffering/loading.

For reference, my Plex server is a Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz with 8GB of RAM connected via Comcast's 10Mbps upload. That's good enough to send out 3 simultaneous 3Mbps streams at 720p without any issues (I share my server with 4 other families). If your friends complain to you that when they try to watch something it buffers/stutters, tell them to lower the Mbps quality.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 10, 2015

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Does anyone happen to know the various bitrates / resolutions plex sync equates to? The help page seems to only suggest that 'highest' is usually a direct copy if the source is playable on iOS (possibly a remux only if MKV -> MP4?).
Do all the settings retain HD resolution if the source is HD? I assume this is probably medium and up.

I can't work out why this option is smoke & mirrors when you can otherwise select useful options like 2mb 720 / 1.5mb 720 etc when streaming.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

Does anyone happen to know the various bitrates / resolutions plex sync equates to? The help page seems to only suggest that 'highest' is usually a direct copy if the source is playable on iOS (possibly a remux only if MKV -> MP4?).
Do all the settings retain HD resolution if the source is HD? I assume this is probably medium and up.

I can't work out why this option is smoke & mirrors when you can otherwise select useful options like 2mb 720 / 1.5mb 720 etc when streaming.

Last time I checked, it was dependent on the resolution of the target device-- this created hilarity with my ipad air wherein SDTV would get upconverted to many times its original size. FWIW, I always sync at lowest, and it looks fine. I guess I just don't care about the specifics for sync since it's a temporary copy.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex can finally change the quality of the video while casting, pretty decent update today.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/972910/#Comment_972910

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ooh I wonder if that 'support for multi part video' means you can now watch things like Daily show on the CC app without it crapping out after a commercial break. Unless that's been worked around since I last checked ages ago?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ooh I wonder if that 'support for multi part video' means you can now watch things like Daily show on the CC app without it crapping out after a commercial break. Unless that's been worked around since I last checked ages ago?

Hallelujah yes it does!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Does PLEX have any support or capability for "streaming" comic collections? Conceptually it would make a lot of sense, but I've not really seen anything to that effect, or even an alternative software to achieve the same goal.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Does PLEX have any support or capability for "streaming" comic collections? Conceptually it would make a lot of sense, but I've not really seen anything to that effect, or even an alternative software to achieve the same goal.

It has a photo gallery media library type, so if you wanted to extract all your CBR files you could conceivably use it that way, but otherwise no.

Could I ask what features Plex has that makes it seem like the appropriate choice for comic reading? I just ask because it's such a different type of media from what Plex handles; it would never be as good as a dedicated comic reader, and if you put your cbr/cbz files on Dropbox, there's several solutions across various platforms that would let you 'stream' them from there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I've been looking for something like this for a long time with no luck. I ended up just using ES File Explorer and Perfect Viewer so I can browse out to a LAN or FTP share on my PC for my comics. Doesn't track what's read/unread, but it works pretty well.

Challenger viewer seems to have functionality where you can scan a network share as your collection and see what's unread, but I haven't played with it much.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ali Aces posted:

It has a photo gallery media library type, so if you wanted to extract all your CBR files you could conceivably use it that way, but otherwise no.

Could I ask what features Plex has that makes it seem like the appropriate choice for comic reading? I just ask because it's such a different type of media from what Plex handles; it would never be as good as a dedicated comic reader, and if you put your cbr/cbz files on Dropbox, there's several solutions across various platforms that would let you 'stream' them from there.

Plex already:

Makes content available via internet
Makes content available via local network
Displays images
Separates content by series
Separates content by season - volume
Separates content by episode - chapter
Provides series information
Provides on the fly conversion/presentation appropriate to target device
Keeps track of individual user's progress

Plex would be on par with if not better than a "dedicated" reader, especially for my usage case. I prefer to keep my collections locally, and I have much more than could be hosted on dropbox.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
After hours of struggling with plex not loading metadata (kodi and emby have no issue) i finally got plex to work. Had to mess with public/home network settings, and uninstall and reinstall PLex media server, and delete the library, and re add it with TMDB as the default scraper.

So the good news is plex is working, the bad news is i want to use local metadata , not tmdb. If i change any settings to use local data, it doesnt work:

Plex seems to have problems in this area, in my experience

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

After hours of struggling with plex not loading metadata (kodi and emby have no issue) i finally got plex to work. Had to mess with public/home network settings, and uninstall and reinstall PLex media server, and delete the library, and re add it with TMDB as the default scraper.

So the good news is plex is working, the bad news is i want to use local metadata , not tmdb. If i change any settings to use local data, it doesnt work:

Plex seems to have problems in this area, in my experience

What's wrong with using TMDB metadata?

As for local metadata, be sure Local Media Assets is enabled and is the topmost agent https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677-Local-Media-Assets-Movies

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 18, 2015

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Separates content by series
Separates content by season - volume
Separates content by episode - chapter
Provides series information

Plex does these things by consulting existing online TV/Movie catalogs and matching them by filename. In order to do the above there would need to be a comics catalog somewhere for it to match to. Even if that already exists, connecting up to it would be no small task.

But just keeping track of progress and syncing to a user-hosted central location from any device is the same thing I'm looking for with audiobooks & podcasts. Maybe someday.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ali Aces posted:

Plex does these things by consulting existing online TV/Movie catalogs and matching them by filename. In order to do the above there would need to be a comics catalog somewhere for it to match to. Even if that already exists, connecting up to it would be no small task.

But just keeping track of progress and syncing to a user-hosted central location from any device is the same thing I'm looking for with audiobooks & podcasts. Maybe someday.

Manga Updates is this for Japanese comics.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Comicvine.com has an api for exactly that kind of thing. It would be very doable if someone had the time and motivation.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

What's wrong with using TMDB metadata?

As for local metadata, be sure Local Media Assets is enabled and is the topmost agent https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677-Local-Media-Assets-Movies

Nothing is "wrong" with tmbd, but using your own metadata offers more customization: example, if you change a few covers, and rename a few movies, the info stays locked in a local file.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any suggestions on a Plex hosting service? My home connection bandwidth isn't good for upload at all. I share my Plex stuff with one other person right now, but even on 2Mbps he still had some buffering issues. My cable connection is a 50/5 Mbps.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. Does PLEX have any support or capability for "streaming" comic collections?

You want Ubooquity. It basically runs a web server of your comic collections, that you can read in a browser.
Support is very limited for native apps given that the server software seems to be verging on unheard of, on Android Challenger Viewer claims to support it but I've never gotten anything other than an error. On iOS, Chunky Reader claims to support it but I don't own an iPad so I can't tell you.

I use it with a Nexus 10 and Chrome. It's fine, the main drawback being if two-page spreads are split across two image files they won't display together. If the person digitizing the comic has any sense and makes spreads into one image file, I can tilt the display to landscape and read it fine.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 18, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

You want Ubooquity. It basically runs a web server of your comic collections, that you can read in a browser.
Support is very limited for native apps given that the server software seems to be verging on unheard of, on Android Challenger Viewer claims to support it but I've never gotten anything other than an error. On iOS, Chunky Reader claims to support it but I don't own an iPad so I can't tell you.

I use it with a Nexus 10 and Chrome. It's fine, the main drawback being if two-page spreads are split across two image files they won't display together. If the person digitizing the comic has any sense and makes spreads into one image file, I can tilt the display to landscape and read it fine.

I tried it but it doesn't seem to recognize .zip .rar or .7z, only their "comic book" versions. That's fine for my western stuff but my mango doesn't get detected. And I can't find a way to force it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I tried it but it doesn't seem to recognize .zip .rar or .7z, only their "comic book" versions. That's fine for my western stuff but my mango doesn't get detected. And I can't find a way to force it.

Could just rename it (All CBR is is a renamed .RAR and CBZ is a renamed .ZIP)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Could just rename it (All CBR is is a renamed .RAR and CBZ is a renamed .ZIP)

Yah, but that's a less than ideal solution

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SlayVus posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on a Plex hosting service? My home connection bandwidth isn't good for upload at all. I share my Plex stuff with one other person right now, but even on 2Mbps he still had some buffering issues. My cable connection is a 50/5 Mbps.

Not following this.

A place to upload your files for another person to stream? You realize this is not kosher, right?

Even then paying for gb of storage and then processing power to transcode isn't cheap. Pay to upgrade your internet if you can.

Also 5mbit up is usually enough to limp by on.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Yah, but that's a less than ideal solution

You can keep searching for your holy grail or you can just batch-rename to change the extension? It would take about as long as writing this post saying it's not ideal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sellouts posted:

Not following this.

A place to upload your files for another person to stream? You realize this is not kosher, right?

Do you think most people genuinely use Plex/Kodi to back up their store bought DVDs or something?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's the point. I think most people don't ask about a third party hosting service for their files.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

You can keep searching for your holy grail or you can just batch-rename to change the extension? It would take about as long as writing this post saying it's not ideal.

I'm not sure why you're confused by this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SlayVus posted:

Tell your friend to drop his playback quality to 3Mbps 720p. He should be fine after that if your upload is a consistent 5Mbps.

Oh wait, your friend had buffering issues while streaming from your server at 2Mbps? What are the hardware specs of your Plex server? If you're uploading while your friend is trying to stream that could cause buffering issues too unless you set up QoS on your router.

Use a batch/bulk file renaming utility? Would take you likely less than a minute to rename all your .zip/.rar/.7z files to .cbr files.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 19, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can use cloud sync if you really feel like it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kri kri posted:

You can use cloud sync if you really feel like it.

Do keep in mind cloud sync requires Plex Pass. I use it to dynamically sync the 5 most recent additions to my movies and TV shows library.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Oh wait, your friend had buffering issues while streaming from your server at 2Mbps? What are the hardware specs of your Plex server? If you're uploading while your friend is trying to stream that could cause buffering issues too unless you set up QoS on your router.

The plex server is my desktop. i7 4790k, 8gb ram, media on a 3TB 5400 drive. I don't know what the hub bub is about sharing plex with my friend. Since plex server had the option of inviting people to have access to your servery if you have a pass.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

.cbz = comic book .zip
.cbr = comic book .rar

Instead of scouring the internet to find software made by people who understand your passion for magic catgirls and tentacle demons, you could in far less time just rename this stuff and adopt the standards used by American heroes in tights. Sometimes you just have to adjust your workflow, especially if you want something as niche and away from the norm as a self-hosted comic book "streaming" cloud server.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 19, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SlayVus posted:

The plex server is my desktop. i7 4790k, 8gb ram, media on a 3TB 5400 drive. I don't know what the hub bub is about sharing plex with my friend. Since plex server had the option of inviting people to have access to your servery if you have a pass.

Sharing your server doesn't require a Plex Pass. If your friend is having issues streaming based on your upload speed, either make sure you're not uploading anything while he's streaming, get Plex Pass to access Cloud Sync features, or get better internet. For reference, my server has a way shitter CPU than yours but is able to dish out up to 3 simultaneous transcoded streams remotely at 720p 3Mbps without issue. My ISP is Comcast, 75Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 19, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

.cbz = comic book .zip
.cbr = comic book .rar

Instead of scouring the internet to find software made by people who understand your passion for magic catgirls and tentacle demons, you could in far less time just rename this stuff and adopt the standards used by American heroes in tights. Sometimes you just have to adjust your workflow, especially if you want something as niche and away from the norm as a self-hosted comic book "streaming" cloud server.

The big issue is support would be trivial and is already claimed by their website.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SlayVus posted:

The hub bub isn't about sharing with a friend. I think most people do that. I think it's about having a remote service do the serving that people are talking about. The media has to be streamed from the remote service to work, and that would mean that there would be a remote service that you upload copyrighted content to, and the likelihood of any service willing to take on that kind of liability is laughable.

You main option is get better internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SlayVus posted:

What you're doing is normal.

Asking about a plex hosting service which is basically asking a company to host likely illegal files for you to stream to a third party isn't. It's extremely resource intensive for what you're doing and would be pretty expensive. That is the point.

But look into https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/country/US#436644 or http://soyoustart.com or http://seedboxes.cc if you want.

You're looking at around 50 euros/month more than likely.