Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
My Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai run (Run #2) is prepared for the Rift. I ended up a much higher level than I did last time around, probably just because it was so much easier to murder the whole screen compared to my first run. I think I'm just going to go for NED and be done with it, and get ready for Run #3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

No, it's the best source of damage Chemist has.

Forgot about that stupid part of mobile - I guess you can farm 99 Dark Matter and do it like Sulla???

Does Dragon Kiss (i.e. being Heavy) make Rocket Punch miss completely or just not confuse you? Because if Mustard Bomb is the only thing that can hit me on a counterattack, this might not be totally impossible without ridiculous amounts of grinding. I'd just need another couple handfuls of dragon fangs and some luck on the first couple rounds to get the buff train going, then I could break his defense and throw money at him.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OzFactor posted:

Does Dragon Kiss (i.e. being Heavy) make Rocket Punch miss completely or just not confuse you? Because if Mustard Bomb is the only thing that can hit me on a counterattack, this might not be totally impossible without ridiculous amounts of grinding. I'd just need another couple handfuls of dragon fangs and some luck on the first couple rounds to get the buff train going, then I could break his defense and throw money at him.

Yes, Heavy makes you immune to gravity attacks (among which Rocket Punch is included).

I'd rather not bother to try and keep four people alive, but :shrug:.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, last question before I go to bed and work on this in the morning: can I use my Beastmaster to slow him? Blessed Kiss still works but I'd need him slower to have a chance. Slugs are a long way away so it'd be nice to know beforehand.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Today I learned that Wendigo does not counter Wind Slash with multiple Ice Storms like he does with other multi-target attacks.

Also that despite them looking like the dragon zombies in Drakenvale and the Pyramid, Shield Dragons are NOT undead.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
So, I started this recently and it's my first time playing FFV - I just finished the fire crystal with my punchy/healy White Mage/Monk combo and I got Ranger! But....I don't see any Ranger job and I didnt get it after the castle blew? Am I missing something?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

So, I started this recently and it's my first time playing FFV - I just finished the fire crystal with my punchy/healy White Mage/Monk combo and I got Ranger! But....I don't see any Ranger job and I didnt get it after the castle blew? Am I missing something?

yeah, you'll get it later.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

yeah, you'll get it later.

Do I need to do anything sidequesty or does it just give it to me in the course of the main storyline?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Do I need to do anything sidequesty or does it just give it to me in the course of the main storyline?

Main storyline. You literally cannot miss it.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

ShadowedFlames posted:

Main storyline. You literally cannot miss it.

Okay, thanks! Just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to miss it or anything

e: Got it! Loving the animals ability. BEEES!

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 19, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
So does the Hero Cocktail increase level by 10 every time I use it or only once no matter how many times I use it?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So does the Hero Cocktail increase level by 10 every time I use it or only once no matter how many times I use it?

Every time, to a maximum of 255.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Got my next random run. White Mage, MK, Geo, Black Mage. I had WhM and MK last run too.

So not really hard at all. But goddamn White Mage is a slog start

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
wow... animals is really good. Is there any way to increase how much nightingale heals for?

I kinda want to do a scc right now with just rangers/animal power.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 19, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So I uhh, ran into the mimic dude. :stare:

I gave up after finally getting him low health and he started spamming meteor.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Nasgate posted:

So I uhh, ran into the mimic dude. :stare:

I gave up after finally getting him low health and he started spamming meteor.

Maybe you should try mimicking what he does to start with, see if that helps.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Huh, never thought of that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

He even tells you as much! :v:

quote:

Display Text: Gogo: My name is Gogo!
Display Text: 'The famous mimic...
Display Text: 'The trick to mimicking...
Display Text: 'Is to imitate...
Display Text: 'So I'll watch you and
Display Text: 'Do what you do...
Display Text: 'If you fight, I fight...
Display Text: 'If you use magic, so will I!
Display Text: 'If you do what I do,
Display Text: 'You'll surely win!

SNES version, but you get the gist.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I beat World 2 Exdeath! I have Zerk/WM/Ninja/Ranger. I had no way to reliably Old him, so I ended up throwing the Kotetsu, Ancient Sword, and Wind Slash at him for damage.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Is there any trick to Soul Cannon? I've been using Thunder bows and I took out the launchers but he seems to have way too much HP!

Is this one of those fights where they expect you to have an offensive caster?

e: Party is 2 Rangers/Monk/White Mage

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 19, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Is there any trick to Soul Cannon? I've been using Thunder bows and I took out the launchers but he seems to have way too much HP!

Thunder Bows should be doing at least a thousand damage, and you have White Mage. This should be trivially easy.

FWIW, you need to do 12.5k damage for Sol Cannon to blow up.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

If the launchers hit you, you'll get impacted with Old, which will hurt you a lot as the battle goes on, so taking them out first (as you're doing) is your first priority. If you got Esuna from the burning castle, use that to heal anybody affected by Old (you can't get rid of it otherwise unless you kill/revive that party member. Death Panels, what have you). I'd give !White to pretty much everybody on your team so you can eventually outlast the whole thing with Cura, because once the launchers are dead, the only thing Soul Cannon will do is the occasional Surge Beam.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Oh, Esuna cures old? Good to know!

I guess I'm just behind the level curve then because I was only putting out 100-200 damage or so.

The game just sticking me down with a 'do what you want' section with the airship meant I probably missed some side content to gain levels on

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Summoner/Ranger. Third run. On the second world.

Pretty cool classes on their lonesome, but very little synergy between them. I thought Dancing Dagger or a Spellbladed sword would play well with Rapid Fire. Of course not :mad:

Right now, everyone is mostly equipped with Blue all the time while they also all do their respective jobs.

I picked up Vampire from one of the bats early, early on. It's been instrumental. Healing yourself and hurting the enemy, all for only 2 MP? There are no words.

But in doing some ABP farming in the Ship Graveyard so I could naively pick up Rapid Fire, I scored like 25 Elixirs.

White Wind would have been cool to grab from the Fans in the floating ruins, but I don't think there's a way to pick up a way Confuse them with my class setup. I'll get it later. Like, much later.

Holy hell.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

wow... animals is really good. Is there any way to increase how much nightingale heals for?

It's based on your magic stat I believe so equipping abilities/equipment that raises magic will increase its healing.

e:

quote:

Oh, Esuna cures old? Good to know!

It's important to note that while Esuna does indeed cure Old, any stat drops you suffered under the Old status are NOT restored.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

He even tells you as much! :v:

SNES version, but you get the gist.

Yeah, I didn't read that dialogue the first time.... man, free 50 abp though.

My problem with brave blade now is that all my classes except samurai are quick to master. Lenna has 3 masteries now...

The good news is soon everyone will have catch in case I want to pull weird shenanigans.

mismatch tea
Nov 1, 2010

blinking beacon nose posted:

Pretty cool classes on their lonesome, but very little synergy between them. I thought Dancing Dagger or a Spellbladed sword would play well with Rapid Fire. Of course not :mad:

Rapid fire works great with spellblade. It just doesn't do the spellblade animation.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

mismatch tea posted:

Rapid fire works great with spellblade. It just doesn't do the spellblade animation.

Oh poo poo. Thanks!

Time to go kick even more rear end than I thought I would

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Any good place for dark matter in world 2?

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

:argh: Got geomancer again and worthless !Duelcast

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What's the usual procedure for getting a new job with the job fair? I've tweeted and donated, but I wasn't certain if I should send some sort of link with it or a picture of my email receipt.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
What I learned today: despite the name, "blaze" is not fire-based damage. As a result, the chimera from the ruins meteor was a royal pain in the rear end since I didn't have any way to block the damage, no real healer, and only rod breaking to damage race it with..

Currently just past the Big Bridge section. It owned.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The SNES translation is a bit weird in that regard. In the GBA version, "Blaze" is called "Frost", and "Flame" is "Blaze".

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Mikl posted:

Currently just past the Big Bridge section. It owned.
Same! I struggled up to the fourth crystal with a bard and beastmasters, some bosses were absolute bastards requiring very specific strategies but now that I'm past that, I've been assigned two chemists and I'm starting to realise just how much easier this game is going to get. Even without the double potion effectiveness, just having access to hi-potions is such a relief. Oh and that first town in world 2 just sells a bunch of weapons and gear exactly catering to my classes which is great.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing how many of you have completed multiple runs. I've been playing the game a bit here and there and I've just got the airship! To be fair, it's my very first playthrough of FFV so I'm probably doing a lot of areas I don't necessarily have to. On that note, Skull Eaters are scary!

Since I got the airship and apparently I am close to the end of World 1, I decided to tweet ahead for my final job. My final line up is Monk/Time Mage/Ranger/Chemist! This seems like a fairly strong combination against bosses but I'm a little worried about dealing with normal fights. Are there any recommended strategies for dealing with normal enemies with this team? Other than running away, I mean - I'd like to kill everything in the game at least once if possible for a nice complete bestiary. :3:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ghost-Slug posted:

Since I got the airship and apparently I am close to the end of World 1, I decided to tweet ahead for my final job. My final line up is Monk/Time Mage/Ranger/Chemist! This seems like a fairly strong combination against bosses but I'm a little worried about dealing with normal fights. Are there any recommended strategies for dealing with normal enemies with this team? Other than running away, I mean - I'd like to kill everything in the game at least once if possible for a nice complete bestiary. :3:

You can take out most random encounters with a Monk and Ranger, but you should spend time running from fights. Most of them won't be worth it for you, and having Ranger means that you really want a fully-powered Chicken Knife.

Getting a full bestiary requires you to go through the GBA bonus dungeon, which isn't possible for your team, so you're going to be limited anyway. You're also going to struggle a lot with some of the more powerful random encounters later on (particulary in the end of World 2).

For now, you should grind for Turtle Shells before you leave the first world. Having a full supply of those will make the second world much easier.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

You can take out most random encounters with a Monk and Ranger, but you should spend time running from fights. Most of them won't be worth it for you, and having Ranger means that you really want a fully-powered Chicken Knife.

Getting a full bestiary requires you to go through the GBA bonus dungeon, which isn't possible for your team, so you're going to be limited anyway. You're also going to struggle a lot with some of the more powerful random encounters later on (particulary in the end of World 2).

For now, you should grind for Turtle Shells before you leave the first world. Having a full supply of those will make the second world much easier.

I think I'm still going to aim to get the bestiary entry for as many enemies as I can. It was really satisfying going back to Walse Castle and punching the teeth out of those basement-dwelling Jacknapes and similarly I want to take out a Skull Eater even though there's very little gameplay benefit in doing so.

I'm definitely planning on farming for Turtle Shells and was thinking of abusing the prices in Lix to grab huge piles of items as well. Is it worth trying to gather Dark Matter from Prototypes?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ghost-Slug posted:

I think I'm still going to aim to get the bestiary entry for as many enemies as I can. It was really satisfying going back to Walse Castle and punching the teeth out of those basement-dwelling Jacknapes and similarly I want to take out a Skull Eater even though there's very little gameplay benefit in doing so.

I'm definitely planning on farming for Turtle Shells and was thinking of abusing the prices in Lix to grab huge piles of items as well. Is it worth trying to gather Dark Matter from Prototypes?

Dark Matter from the Prototypes is probably the best place, if you can actually kill them reliably.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ghost-Slug posted:

If you can kill them, 8 should be all you need. Add in another one from Soul Cannon and you should have enough to get you through world 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

djw175 posted:

If you can kill them

This is a pretty big if for most teams in World 1.

• Locked thread