Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Moissanite isn't a lab made diamond. It's lab made, whit-ish, and has similar qualities to diamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Rurutia posted:

Moissanite isn't a lab made diamond. It's lab made, whit-ish, and has similar qualities to diamond.

its silicon carbide

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It is all of those things but is also a bloodless awesome stone that looks amazing

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have two questions for the jewelry folks. I have a ring that is sterling silver set with a lab created sapphire. What's the best way to clean it at home?

Also, I inherited from my parents a chunk of "tiger's eye" agate. I think it's tiger's eye anyway. Years ago my dad had a small piece cut from it and a tie pin made for himself and a small brooch for my mother. The finished stones look like the color thats called tiger's eye to me. When I say a "chunk", I mean they used it as a door stop. We also cracked nuts on it. It weighs about eight pounds and the color looks uniform overall. Any idea what it might be worth?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They aren't the same gem :argh:

Moissanite is cooler.

quote:

Also, I inherited from my parents a chunk of "tiger's eye" agate. I think it's tiger's eye anyway. Years ago my dad had a small piece cut from it and a tie pin made for himself and a small brooch for my mother. The finished stones look like the color thats called tiger's eye to me. When I say a "chunk", I mean they used it as a door stop. We also cracked nuts on it. It weighs about eight pounds and the color looks uniform overall. Any idea what it might be worth?
I assume you mean this sort of stuff?

If it's just yellow and brown, it's not super valuable. About 5 dollars a pound? If it's got blue and better patterning, price can go way up.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's the stuff. Though I can't vouch for what patterns it might have - the two pieces my dad had made were from a small slice cut off the end. For the rest, it's raw, just a chunk of stone.

But thanks! Not planning on selling for sentimental reasons, but I was curious.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Hey, jewelers! What is the deal with Tahitian pearls these days? I inherited a big pearl necklace that was appraised in 2003 at $4,000.00.

It's got "semi-baroque" style according to the appraisal, and the pearls range from black to white and the strand is about 18 inches long. It says that the size ranges from 9 mm to 14 mm. It's got MB for markings, (moderately blemished) and the luster is written as 'good'. It's really, really pretty. *girl squee*

I don't plan on ever selling it, I'm just curious about its value now. I love the thing, it's a nice reminder of the person who left it to me.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Here's the thing itself.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
Just make sure you don't stick them in a bank vault or anywhere else that is very dry, and when you wear them, make sure you don't have perfume or lotion on the skin where they are touching. Very beautiful though! Tahitian pearly are lovely and can get nice and big like those centre ones.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Zratha posted:

Just make sure you don't stick them in a bank vault or anywhere else that is very dry, and when you wear them, make sure you don't have perfume or lotion on the skin where they are touching. Very beautiful though! Tahitian pearly are lovely and can get nice and big like those centre ones.

Thanks! I will follow your advice to the letter!

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Kind of a vague request but I'd like to get a bracelet for my girlfriend with a budget of about $100.

I'm not sure exactly what she likes but I'm looking for something that's simple with a nice little detail. Vague, I know.

A couple of decent pieces I found..
Simple bracelet chain with a nice little infinity piece.
http://www.bluenile.com/infinity-chain-bracelet-sterling-silver_43231?action=SterlingSilverSelect&track=alternate-metalsCustomizer
This one I was going to add a personalized heart charm.
http://www.bluenile.com/petite-linked-bracelet-sterling-silver_41677?elem=img&track=product
Her favorite color is yellow so I was also looking at..
http://www.zales.com/citrine-station-bracelet-sterling-silver/product.jsp?productId=10927884

Something with a leather bracelet/sterling silver combo would also be pretty good. I know a lot of the bracelets she wears are more of a leather material than silver/metal.

I know going in-person to a store is ideal but there aren't too many non-mall jewelry places around and I'm also a total noob at this.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hmmxkrazee posted:

Kind of a vague request but I'd like to get a bracelet for my girlfriend with a budget of about $100.

I'm not sure exactly what she likes but I'm looking for something that's simple with a nice little detail. Vague, I know.

A couple of decent pieces I found..
Simple bracelet chain with a nice little infinity piece.
http://www.bluenile.com/infinity-chain-bracelet-sterling-silver_43231?action=SterlingSilverSelect&track=alternate-metalsCustomizer
This one I was going to add a personalized heart charm.
http://www.bluenile.com/petite-linked-bracelet-sterling-silver_41677?elem=img&track=product
Her favorite color is yellow so I was also looking at..
http://www.zales.com/citrine-station-bracelet-sterling-silver/product.jsp?productId=10927884

Something with a leather bracelet/sterling silver combo would also be pretty good. I know a lot of the bracelets she wears are more of a leather material than silver/metal.

I know going in-person to a store is ideal but there aren't too many non-mall jewelry places around and I'm also a total noob at this.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

JBD are friends of mine. They don't do leather, but their bracelets seem to be in the area you're looking at.

Something like this seems about right. They do a lot of commissions, so if she has a favorite stone they can work it out for you (or just ask for one with a citrine or other yellow stone).

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 10, 2015

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

errol _flynn posted:

Here's the thing itself.

I can't give you an official number from a photo, but most likely you would need to insure them for $5-8k to replace the strand if it were ever lost.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
My GF wants me to get her this as an engagement ring. Thoughts?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/150119605/aquamarine-ring-fleur-de-lis-14k-white

grenada fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 16, 2015

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
It's a solid ring. The aquamarine could be a little nicer.

In the picture of the ring on the hand you'll see that you can see a little bit of the finger through the gemstone. This is called a "window" and it's an artifact of poor cutting. A window leads to a loss of color saturation, and mixes the color of the skin with the color of the gem crystal.

I'd ask if they could mitigate the issue with another aquamarine in a nicer cut or one in a darker blue. But if she's ok with a pale colored aquamarine on the hand then it's a fine buy.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Thanks! I ended up putting a deposit down to hold a rose gold tacori ring at a local b&m.

1900 for setting and 1300 for the sapphire in the picture. Still deciding if I should go with the sapphire or try to get a lighter one or even spring for a diamond.

Edit: phone posted - picture should be fixed now.

grenada fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 21, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd say that sapphire is a bit dark, unless your girlfriend is really into that deep royal blue - it could black out in dimmer light, and you won't get all the performance that's possible from a lighter stone.

Also, looks like the forum ate your timg, so it's showing up as full size

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
After a lot of thought I've decided to put a diamond into the setting. Will see what kind of diamonds the jeweler has for 3k or less. Don't want to spend more than 5k total.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can the OP or anyone else recommend some shops in Boston or metrowest that would be reliable and trustworthy on prices?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I ordered a bypass ring on moissaniteco.com and the support prongs between the two sides are clearly visible even from directly above, interrupting the lines of the piece:

Is this an unfortunate drawback of bypass rings? The support prongs are not visible at all in the renderings they provide.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Rated PG-34 posted:

I ordered a bypass ring on moissaniteco.com and the support prongs between the two sides are clearly visible even from directly above, interrupting the lines of the piece:

Is this an unfortunate drawback of bypass rings? The support prongs are not visible at all in the renderings they provide.

That is poor design/advertising :/ Designs like that IMO need some sort of support so the stone doesn't potentially fall out, but it can be hidden design depending. Maybe contact them and say it isn't what was shown?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Claes Oldenburger posted:

That is poor design/advertising :/ Designs like that IMO need some sort of support so the stone doesn't potentially fall out, but it can be hidden design depending. Maybe contact them and say it isn't what was shown?

Yes, I contacted them and they said I could return the ring and they would remove the supports. But then as you say, my worry is that the stone could fall out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've heard that Amora moissanite is slightly clearer than C&C Forever Brilliant, which has a slight grey tint to it (only nitpickingly visible). Can anyone confirm/deny? Does anyone have a C&C FB or an Amora that they can give an opinion on?

(Engagement rings)

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
These days almost all of the "regular" moissanite is the higher quality white material. The manufacturing has greatly improved.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

For what it's worth, I just upgraded a one caret equivalent stone from regular to Amora, and I believe it's whiter.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
The dumbest of questions: 5.2mm stud earrings will hold 5mm sapphires just fine, right? (Or do I need to get 5mm only?)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

errol _flynn posted:

The dumbest of questions: 5.2mm stud earrings will hold 5mm sapphires just fine, right? (Or do I need to get 5mm only?)

They should, though different settings have different tolerances, and depends upon how shallow the stones are cut as.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Oh, ok! THanks, Tunicate!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Rated PG-34 posted:

You definitely CAN get it tension-set to not have those supports - this is my ring (my actual ring, not a mockup - husband worked for a jewelry co at the time and took pictures there). That is, assuming that your ring is tension set. Not familiar with jewelry or whatever is meant by 'bypass'. But hey, the moissanite is gorgeous and I always love giving it my full endorsement. Ring is from https://www.boonerings.com if anyone cares.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Would anyone recommend a guide to buying Sapphire? I just spent a week getting educated on diamonds, only for my gf to tell me that she actually quite likes a blue sapphire.

My target price is something around this http://www.costco.com/Blue-Sapphire-%2526-Diamond-Ring.product.11590519.html but I have concerns over
1. the oval cut: is it timeless?
2. any heating (nothing is disclosed)
3. color, looks dark?
4. clarity, what should I be looking for?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
That's a pretty big ring, the center stone alone is 2 carats. Not a knock if that's what she wants, but I'd have her try on a similar-sized ring to be sure. The oval cut isn't a big deal, that's fairly standard. I'm pretty sure most sapphires on the market have been heat-treated, so you should assume it has been as well. Color is a matter of personal preference. Again, if she likes it, that's the important thing. I'm curious to hear about clarity, I've never heard about it in dark sapphires.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

That is a very dark stone. I'd suggest you see it in real life if you can, it might end up looking black most of the time. Clarity I think should be judged by the eye, if there's obvious flaws in the stone don't get it! Also make sure there isn't a little see through "window" through the table that you can see your hand with. That's a badly cut stone and they are probably overcharging you!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

On sapphires, is a 1ct sapphire ring with white gold for 750 an okay price? I don't have a picture as they would be making this for me.

Anyone know about Boston area jewelers?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

EVG posted:

You definitely CAN get it tension-set to not have those supports - this is my ring (my actual ring, not a mockup - husband worked for a jewelry co at the time and took pictures there). That is, assuming that your ring is tension set. Not familiar with jewelry or whatever is meant by 'bypass'. But hey, the moissanite is gorgeous and I always love giving it my full endorsement. Ring is from https://www.boonerings.com if anyone cares.

I sent the (palladium) ring back and they removed the supports. Here's to hoping that the stone stays.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Xun posted:

if there's obvious flaws in the stone don't get it!

My sapphire engagement ring has a veil inclusion that I think looks cool; got it for cheaper than its perfect cousin. :colbert:

You should listen to Xun probably. Sapphire can look a bit different in different lighting and really should be seen in person if you're going to wear it everyday.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brennanite posted:

That's a pretty big ring, the center stone alone is 2 carats. Not a knock if that's what she wants, but I'd have her try on a similar-sized ring to be sure. The oval cut isn't a big deal, that's fairly standard. I'm pretty sure most sapphires on the market have been heat-treated, so you should assume it has been as well. Color is a matter of personal preference. Again, if she likes it, that's the important thing. I'm curious to hear about clarity, I've never heard about it in dark sapphires.

Yeah, everybody heat treats sapphires. Unless they explicitly say otherwise, that's the default assumption. It's a stable treatment, though, so it's not like it's a big deal.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

effika posted:

My sapphire engagement ring has a veil inclusion that I think looks cool; got it for cheaper than its perfect cousin.

Yeah but that's a personal preference, if he's looking at clarity he probably doesn't want an included stone but also probably doesn't care if there are inclusions at like, large magnification/microscope level. I LIKE ROCKS

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Slash posted:

I did, and the Wife loves it.

How was the quality of the ring? There are a bunch of really nice pieces on their site but also a lot of really spotty reviews online.

Also they somehow sell C&C FB stones loose for less than moissanite.com, which I am led to believe is the retail outlet of C&C, while claiming higher quality? Is the gemstone industry really that weird?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Opinion on VS1 or VVS2? D ~2 carat Amora, solitaire white gold setting. Is it better to kick it up to IF? I understand there's not much difference unless you get it under magnification.

Also, is solitaire or cathedral typical of something that size, or does it matter?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Is there a clear resin or varnish anyone can recommend for protecting softer stones? I have hard-wearing epoxy clearcoats and stuff that work great on bigger things but are all a little too viscous/not clear enough for ideal performance on something like jewelry, where you'd want any poo poo on the surface to be basically invisible. Would something like that also work to seal metals against tarnishing, or just ensure it's virtually impossible to clean up any oxidation that occurs?

• Locked thread