Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wizard Styles posted:

Also, IWD2's story is a total clusterfuck.
What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Cythereal posted:

"We're half-demons and somehow people held that against us."

As a half-elf I totally understand how you feel :smuggo:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Disco Infiva posted:

As a half-elf I totally understand how you feel :smuggo:

And let's not forget the half-goblin dude seducing a half-dragon woman. Guy had game, no doubt about it.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

In addition to what Washout said:
1. NPC level is set when you first enter their area and goes up to 6. How much level 6 means kind of depends since different classes level at different speeds, but if you want someone who joins later on in your group it's something you might want to consider to avoid getting an underleveled companion.

NPC level isn't set until you recruit them. Until then the game loads a template near your level or exp total (not sure which) whenever you enter their area. This is even true for Imoen.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Cythereal posted:

And let's not forget the half-goblin dude seducing a half-dragon woman. Guy had game, no doubt about it.

I played this other popular videogame where a god had sex with a kobold commando.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
It's a complete mess of rehashed stuff from the first game and inconsequential side stories. And a ton of bizarre stuff like Malavon the good guy drow wizard telling you that Malavon the bad guy drow wizard from the first game was his evil clone that he made for some reason. Or solving a time loop that happened because magic.

Mehrunes posted:

NPC level isn't set until you recruit them. Until then the game loads a template near your level or exp total (not sure which) whenever you enter their area. This is even true for Imoen.
Wait, is that true for all versions? I remember recruiting a level 1 or 2 Minsc during my last game when my party was definitely above level 4. Was that just a bug?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wizard Styles posted:

It's a complete mess of rehashed stuff from the first game and inconsequential side stories. And a ton of bizarre stuff like Malavon the good guy drow wizard telling you that Malavon the bad guy drow wizard from the first game was his evil clone that he made for some reason. Or solving a time loop that happened because magic.
Oh, yeah, forgot about the Malavon thing and the timeloop thing. I couldnt care less about Malavon but the timeloop was pretty tedious. Overall I have rose-colored glasses about the game because the overall gameplay is so great to me: enemy Mages arent super OP like they are in BG2, the general quests are all pretty straightforward with some deeper stuff thrown in here or there, all the encounters are pretty well designed, the 2.75 ruleset was neat (though I wish it was just 3.0).

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

Wait, is that true for all versions? I remember recruiting a level 1 or 2 Minsc during my last game when my party was definitely above level 4. Was that just a bug?

Yup, all versions. I don't know how it calculates which creature file to load so I can't say why you only got a level 1 or 2 Minsc.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Just the game failing to load the correct Minsc, I guess. I tested it on Xzar and Montaron just to see if my game was bugged in general and, no, it's loading the appropriate files whenever I enter the area like you said. Kind of weird I never realized how this works in over a decade of playing these games, but I usually have a set team in mind and recruit party members at the earliest opportunity.

Bort Bortles posted:

Oh, yeah, forgot about the Malavon thing and the timeloop thing. I couldnt care less about Malavon but the timeloop was pretty tedious. Overall I have rose-colored glasses about the game because the overall gameplay is so great to me: enemy Mages arent super OP like they are in BG2, the general quests are all pretty straightforward with some deeper stuff thrown in here or there, all the encounters are pretty well designed, the 2.75 ruleset was neat (though I wish it was just 3.0).
Yeah, mechanically and gameplay-wise IWD2 is a good game, but I could never get into the story at all.

I actually started a playthrough with an all-caster party just now, but, after playing the Enhanced Editions and Pillars of Eternity, going back to a game without quality of life things like area looting is hard.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, mechanically and gameplay-wise IWD2 is a good game, but I could never get into the story at all.
I can definitely understand that.

Wizard Styles posted:

I actually started a playthrough with an all-caster party just now, but, after playing the Enhanced Editions and Pillars of Eternity, going back to a game without quality of life things like area looting is hard.
Yeah I gave it one last playthrough to actually beat it recently, because I had never gotten past the Yuan-ti/Dragon's Eye thing because it was complicated and I was too lazy to get through it when I was younger. Now that I have played Witcher 3 (different game type, but still) it is just so :vince: w/r/t storytelling and quest design that it has ruined pretty much every other game for me.

edit: my party was two sorcerers and two clerics and was totally insane...I cant imagine what all casters would be like. Just cast that level 3 cleric spell summon undead or whatever it is that gives you Zombie Lords or Greater Boneguards then cast Stoneskin on them and laugh all the way to the bank.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, buffed up summons would be one thing for this party. I'm also kind of curious if I can reach a point where I put out enough AoE bombardment that I can use it to not just soften up but outright kill a lot of enemies.

Time will tell I guess, it's not really something I planned. I just noticed during character creation that a Priest of Mask gets good tanking spells (like Mirror Image) in addition to the general Cleric buffs and decided to replace a warrior type with one. And then it kind of snowballed from there and I ended up with a party of two Clerics, a Bard, a Druid, an Enchanter and a Sorcerer.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, buffed up summons would be one thing for this party. I'm also kind of curious if I can reach a point where I put out enough AoE bombardment that I can use it to not just soften up but outright kill a lot of enemies.

Time will tell I guess, it's not really something I planned. I just noticed during character creation that a Priest of Mask gets good tanking spells (like Mirror Image) in addition to the general Cleric buffs and decided to replace a warrior type with one. And then it kind of snowballed from there and I ended up with a party of two Clerics, a Bard, a Druid, an Enchanter and a Sorcerer.
:flashfap: I doubt I could play a game all the way through with that and some of the longer fights early on may get rough, but that sounds like it is super fun and may have to try something similar sometime.

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
Is there a way to grant Mages the ability to use crossbows in BG:EE? I started a playthrough as a Wild Mage and I'm already sick of chucking these dumbass darts.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Earl Chestnuts posted:

Is there a way to grant Mages the ability to use crossbows in BG:EE? I started a playthrough as a Wild Mage and I'm already sick of chucking these dumbass darts.

I would like to know this for any and all IE games. I don't like darts, so every guy either has a sling (mages and anyone with a cleric/druid class) or bow (everyone else). I would really like to have a reason to use crossbows again. 3rd edition and beyond really did it right by making crossbows "simple" weapons that virtually anyone can use.

I have fired a crossbow in real life. They kick like being shot in the arm, but they are at least easy to use.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JustJeff88 posted:

I would like to know this for any and all IE games. I don't like darts, so every guy either has a sling (mages and anyone with a cleric/druid class) or bow (everyone else). I would really like to have a reason to use crossbows again. 3rd edition and beyond really did it right by making crossbows "simple" weapons that virtually anyone can use.

I have fired a crossbow in real life. They kick like being shot in the arm, but they are at least easy to use.

Assuming EEKeeper works the same as Shadowkeeper you can just pop one in your hands with the inventory editor. Won't have any proficiency points though.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Skwirl posted:

Won't have any proficiency points though.

Unless you also EEKeep'em in your character. Assuming the changes take place, but I can't see why they wouldn't.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'd just use EEKeeper.

Altering the game would involve changing a 2DA file (basically a rules table in this case) to allow characters to put proficiency points into additional/different weapon classes. Using NearInfinity, this isn't hard and would take like 2 or 3 minutes.

But after that...well, every single weapon has individually set flags to make it unusable by certain classes. So you'd need to uncheck every "unusable by" box you want gone for every weapon you want changed.

If you only do that for a few weapons (like just a few crossbows) that's still a sane amount of effort going into this, but if you'd want to do it for more, or even all weapons... :suicide:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nycticeius posted:

Unless you also EEKeep'em in your character. Assuming the changes take place, but I can't see why they wouldn't.

Oh yeah, I do remember Shadowkeeper being weird if you tried to give yourself more proficiency points than normal but couldn't remember if it did anything when you gave yourself points you shouldn't be able to have. Even in that case it might have been changed by the engine changes, I seem to remember them making a lot of hard-coded stuff more modular when they upgraded the engine.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just use slings. Your mage is only going to hit every four or five shots anyway, so theyre not a huge or reliable source of damage even with a good weapon.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

fong posted:

Just use slings. Your mage is only going to hit every four or five shots anyway

Against awake targets that is

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Baldur's gate 1.5 is coming? Dammit, time to load up the game again. This time with ALL THE MODS. Comstar the female Cleric/Ranger, lets try that again.

Already failed Iron Man when Jaheria was killed by the bandits south of the Friendly Arms Inn, and I wasn't going to drag her corpse all the way back.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
There is no reason to take ranger/cleric anymore, they only get the druid spells for the first 3 levels now.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
If it's a multi-class, there's not that much of a reason to go Fighter/Cleric either, though. The warrior side levels faster, but in return you lose out on free dual-wielding and some other things Rangers get. The biggest benefit the R/C misses out on is being a dwarf, really.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Washout posted:

There is no reason to take ranger/cleric anymore, they only get the druid spells for the first 3 levels now.

You can set it back to the original behavior in a config file.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Washout posted:

Godsdammit. Least I knew that before I got further than the 1st town.

What other changes are there I should probably know about before starting *again*? My only full run through previously was as a Fighter/Mage/Thief half elf male who was on team EVIL. I want to be on the forces of niceness this time.

I downloaded the mod that gives you lots of different classes subtypes, but they are all greyed out for some reason :(

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
If you want to keep the cleric thing going but also something that can fight and be unique a half orc cleric/thief is super fun if you like traps and backstabbing, and they can dual wield maces or smash people with staves and since they get that 19 str it's pretty cool and even makes them hit really hard with slings.

Otherwise they just unlocked all the kits, classes, spells and the whole ruleset from BG2EE into BG1EE, but the only big character class change (other than all the kits) was to finally patch the ranger/cleric.

If you never messed around with dual classing you might want to be human and give that a shot, Kensai/thief or berserker/mage or even archer/mage are all super fun.

If you just want to be a super powered good guy then Inquisitor is amazing, either dual wielding or two handed.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just make a single class cleric, they can actually make decent meleers and tanks. It's a shame that the the single class NPC clerics are weenies, they don't need to be.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

fong posted:

Just make a single class cleric, they can actually make decent meleers and tanks. It's a shame that the the single class NPC clerics are weenies, they don't need to be.

In BG2 I'd have suggested a berzerker/cleric dual. I'm not sure how that would work out in IWD, though, with the lack of Crom Faeyr and the Runehammer.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Taliesyn posted:

In BG2 I'd have suggested a berzerker/cleric dual. I'm not sure how that would work out in IWD, though, with the lack of Crom Faeyr and the Runehammer.

There are still a lot of good hammers and maces in IWD, and since that is only one of 6 characters in the party it would work fine. But he's playing BG1.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Washout posted:

If you want to keep the cleric thing going but also something that can fight and be unique a half orc cleric/thief is super fun if you like traps and backstabbing, and they can dual wield maces or smash people with staves and since they get that 19 str it's pretty cool and even makes them hit really hard with slings.

Also you can play through the series with no magic items possibly!

(Progress is being made, but I've been busy and playing XCom again)

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Comstar posted:

Godsdammit. Least I knew that before I got further than the 1st town.

What other changes are there I should probably know about before starting *again*?
Everything Washout suggested is good (although I wouldn't really recommend Kensai/Anything for BG1 unless you're definitely going to continue playing the character in BG2), and like fong said even a single-class Cleric is okay, but you don't have to start again.

The Ranger/Cleric lost its main draw, but it is still a good class combination, like all warrior/caster builds. (Also, you weren't going to reach the really good Druid spells, mainly Ironskins, in BG1 anyway, so not much of value was lost here.)

Btw:

Washout posted:

archer/mage
Do you mean Archer/Cleric? Because Archers can't raise their Sling proficiency above 2, sadly.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Washout posted:

There are still a lot of good hammers and maces in IWD, and since that is only one of 6 characters in the party it would work fine. But he's playing BG1.

Oh, then I'd recommend Berserker with a dual to cleric at 9 (thus, in BG2) if he wants to get fancy. :)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Wizard Styles posted:

Btw:

Do you mean Archer/Cleric? Because Archers can't raise their Sling proficiency above 2, sadly.
I don't know if it comes together or for how long in just BG1 but I thought the Archer/Mage idea was that you use Called Shot with Melfs Minute Meteors (and I guess darts before then) to turn everything into barely functional bags of hitpoints. And when you're out of Called Shot you are still a poo poo hot mage.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
You can't dual an archer into a mage, ranger/mage isn't a valid multiclass.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Apparently rangers can't even dual, this poo poo is so hard to keep up with after everyone's torn the game apart and ShadowKeepered every combo possible in the programming.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

zedprime posted:

Apparently rangers can't even dual, this poo poo is so hard to keep up with after everyone's torn the game apart and ShadowKeepered every combo possible in the programming.

Rangers can dual, but since they limited dual classing to valid multiclass combinations, the only valid ranger dual is ranger/cleric, as far as I know. Maybe gnomes can do ranger/thief?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NinjaDebugger posted:

Rangers can dual, but since they limited dual classing to valid multiclass combinations, the only valid ranger dual is ranger/cleric, as far as I know. Maybe gnomes can do ranger/thief?
Might be an EE thing? I booted BG2 up and rangers couldn't dual.

Rangers can multi though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Rangers could always dual, although I'm not sure what the stat requirements were/are in their case. I'm pretty sure Stalkers couldn't, but in the EEs, every Ranger kit can dual.

Stalker/Cleric seems like it could be legit, actually.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Maybe gnomes can do ranger/thief?
Gnomes can't even be Rangers. For some reason, the class is off limits to most races.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oh duh, I was checking if mage really wasn't an option and didn't have the wisdom for a cleric.

e. requisite "burn 2e to the ground" to save face

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

verybad posted:

You can't dual an archer into a mage, ranger/mage isn't a valid multiclass.

Yeah I was just flat wrong, my thinking was since archer is the most powerful class in Bg1 but it sucks in bg2 was to switch to mage in bg2 and then you would still be pretty useful, because any mage is useful.