Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
"My name is Hillary and I am a milk and toast"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Bifner McDoogle posted:

That was one of the funnier parts of 2008. Anyone remember Hilaryis44.org? That was pro-Hilary site that devolved into a somewhat racist anti-Obama organization pretty quickly. Good news, it's still around!. It also still looks hideous and still devotes 90% of itself spitefully attacking Barack Obama and maybe 10% to supporting Hilary. It's like a time-capsule full of racist blue-dogs from 2008.

Wow I did not expect them to still exist. I still think their gradual change from saying 'African-Americans' to universally calling them 'the AAs' is a pretty good demonstration of changing language to get rid of inconvenient ideas, trying to reinforce the idea that blacks aren't real Americans. Like Orwell's Newspeak.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Scott Walker punts on another issue:

quote:

Bash: Do you think that being gay is a choice?

Walker: Oh, I mean I think -- that’s not even an issue for me to be involved in. The bottom line is, I’m going to stand up and work hard for every American regardless of who they are, no matter where they come from, no matter what their background. I’m going to fight for people whether they vote for me or not.

Bash: On behalf of people to do that properly you have to understand or at least have an opinion on who they are and where they’re coming from.

Walker: But again, I think -- no, I don’t have an opinion on every single issue out there. I mean to me that’s -- I don’t know. I don’t know the answer to that question. So, I’m saying I don’t know what the answer to that is. And I’m going to spend my time focused on things that I do know and I can work on.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

huh guess one of the koch bros must be gay or something, kinda weird he was so taken aback by that

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mandatory lesbian posted:

huh guess one of the koch bros must be gay or something, kinda weird he was so taken aback by that

Pandering is the good word. He's playing it safe while the Koch Brothers pull his strings, its no wonder why he's 2nd behind Trump.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah it's not like this is an important, timely issue affecting a huge percentage of Americans or anything.

Anyway, I still think the choice question is the wrong question to ask about homosexuality from the very beginning.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

They're mostly economic, so they probably haven't told him what to think yet there.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah it's not like this is an important, timely issue affecting a huge percentage of Americans or anything.

Anyway, I still think the choice question is the wrong question to ask about homosexuality from the very beginning.

It's not even really a question, being a Christian is a choice but you don't see social conservatives all bent out of shape about religious protections. Ask a substantive question, do you believe that gay conversation therapy for minors should be banned, do you support employment non-discrimination for gay people, should gay people be allowed to enter into secular civil contracts.

Of course the answer is no, he doesn't support that. Asking if being gay is a choice is such a loving softball question because the answer is completely irrelevant to the struggle for gay rights.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

They're openly pro-gay marriage and pro-weed, it's just a low political priority for them compared to gutting all social services and privatizing everything.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
At least he's not punting on whether his foreign policy will be recklessly bellicose:

http://news.yahoo.com/republican-walker-steers-clear-nuance-foreign-policy-120318831.html

"The United States needs a foreign policy that puts steel in the face of our enemies," Walker says.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

In addition to what people have already said, if they switched to a primary they would have to fight with New Hampshire to go first. The NH law says that it must be the first primary contest, so they can allow Iowa to hold the caucuses first.

Why is everything a giant clusterfuck of stupidity in this country.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I must have missed the equivalent event where Bernie Sanders told an entire racial demographic they were rapists and thieves.

Do investment bankers count as a racial demographic?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The Evangelical wing and the Business wing have always been at odds with one another.

I feel like the big boy debate is going to be like some perverse Captain Planet -

"BUSINESS" "REPUBLICAN JESUS" "THE ESTABLISHMENT" "JOB CREATOR" "TRUMP"

By your powers combined, I am CAPTAIN REPUBLICAN

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

nachos posted:

Do investment bankers count as a racial demographic?

Under Citizen's United, yes.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

jerk1000 posted:

At least he's not punting on whether his foreign policy will be recklessly bellicose:

http://news.yahoo.com/republican-walker-steers-clear-nuance-foreign-policy-120318831.html

"The United States needs a foreign policy that puts steel in the face of our enemies," Walker says.

Who exactly are our enemies that we need to be stronger against? Russia which is on the verge of collapse because of global sanctions? Iran? North Korea?

Aside from the Iraq/Afghanistan clusterfuck the US really isn't suffering from some sort of foreign policy weakness. Are Republican's still pretending that Russia is actually a threat?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

ElrondHubbard posted:

I think the comparison is that both are a distillation of their respective party's views and values.

Barack Obama was the democrats Donald Trump in 2008

:downs:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Who exactly are our enemies that we need to be stronger against? Russia which is on the verge of collapse because of global sanctions? Iran? North Korea?

All of the above, plus ISIS.

And also maybe Cuba.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Sad Banana posted:

Here's an article about Hillary Clinton's father. He sounds kind of lovely?
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/20/u...v=top-news&_r=0

I don't think he sounds that out of line from a 1950s, son of an immigrant, tough love dad. He definitely sounds harsh but I can't honestly say my mother's dad (almost exact same situation, actually minus the political career) was different. My dad's father was softer but still along the same lines.

I dunno I'm definitely not sure how I feel about it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

All of the above, plus ISIS.

Is ISIS even an enemy of the US? I thought they pretty much had their hands full building a middle east caliphate and just wanted us to leave them be. If anything I would say that the US is an enemy of ISIS, they don't seem to spend much time thinking about how they can gently caress with US soil.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 19, 2015

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Three Olives posted:

Is ISIS even an enemy of the US? I thought they pretty much had their hands full building a middle east caliphate and just wanted us to leave them be. If anything I would say that the US is an enemy of ISIS, they don't seem to spend much time thinking about how they can gently caress with US soil.

loving idiot lol

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I must have missed the equivalent event where Bernie Sanders told an entire racial demographic they were rapists and thieves.

Uh, rich is a race and bankers is a race bub

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Great_Gerbil posted:

I don't think he sounds that out of line from a 1950s, son of an immigrant, tough love dad. He definitely sounds harsh but I can't honestly say my mother's dad (almost exact same situation, actually minus the political career) was different. My dad's father was softer but still along the same lines.

I dunno I'm definitely not sure how I feel about it.

i feel he was an abusive shithead

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Love Stole the Day is the Donald Trump of analogies.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Three Olives posted:

The general idea would be that ISIS poses both an immediate and eventual risk.

The immediate risk is that they hate the West, actively funding and encouraging terrorism including the Belgian ISIS plot that was averted and urging their membership to carry out attacks mimicking Charlie Hebdo. They also actively recruit people in western nations. In that sense, they aren't benign and as they gain more control and resources, their focus could shift more towards fostering such attacks.

The eventual risk is that they will continue to grow and begin attacking our allies, like Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Israel, or Turkey. At that point, we'll have to fight them anyway, but now they will have had time to grow and develop into a more capable force and there will be that much more territory to retake. They are also going to continue destabilizing the region causing worldwide economic repercussions, especially if they disrupt the world's oil supply in some way.

Finally, ignoring their savagery and brutality towards civilian populations and doing nothing but shrugging our shoulders isn't necessarily the most palatable thing to do.

I'm not saying there's reason for boots on the ground, but ignoring them probably won't work. The current strategy of helping opposing armies, giving air support, and using special forces to hit high value targets seems to be a happy medium.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 19, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Today the Columbus Dispatch is all about John Kasich.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/07/19/kasich-prepared-for-long-run.html

I hope you fuckers are ready.

You have two days to get ready for Kasich!

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Quote of the day: “People are constantly attacking my hair. I don’t see you coming to my defense. My hair is just fine. But if I say something about somebody else …”- Guess who.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Three Olives posted:

They're deliberately trying to overthrow the Iraqi government, which America set up about ten years ago and just from pure geopolitics it's a bad precedent if you don't make an effort to protect your client states. Then there's the murders and attacks ISIS has committed against Americans seemingly with the intent to provoke a response in hopes that they'll gain legitimacy among Islamic militant groups, politically at least those attacks can't just be ignored. And, of course, they're monsters seducing impressionable muslims from the Western world to get themselves killed trying to create an awful theocratic gangster state, while being a byproduct of our inaction on Syria that everyone feels very guilty about.

Still, the grandstanding about taking on America's enemies always sticks to these vague statements because nobody really knows what more they could do. The odd crazy will boldly proclaim they'd land troops and fight ISIS on the ground or get more involved in Ukraine but they have no answers for the concerns that prevent the current administration from doing those things. Not to mention whether the American public outside of the Republican party base would even want to.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
loving hilarious to hear McCain call out the racist yahoos cheering on Trump as "crazies." Hey, John, I wonder where those crazies and their ideas about "real America" came from?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JonathonSpectre posted:

loving hilarious to hear McCain call out the racist yahoos cheering on Trump as "crazies." Hey, John, I wonder where those crazies and their ideas about "real America" came from?

McCain has been actually pretty good about shutting down nutters compared to the other Republicans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRq6Y4NmB6U

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

McCain has been actually pretty good about shutting down nutters compared to the other Republicans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRq6Y4NmB6U

Yeah, that's still pretty racist

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Obligatory crosspost from the politoons thread:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Trabisnikof posted:

"Well, I know he planted stinging nettles everywhere but when he got stung by one he didn't like it! He's pretty good about stinging nettles."

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

CheesyDog posted:

Yeah, that's still pretty racist

It is bad that he doesn't say it wouldn't matter even if he was Arab, but I can't fault him too much for being put on the spot like that. He has 3 seconds to think of a response and he knows he is going to be hammered no matter what. If it was Sarah Palin or Ted Cruz on stage, they would have just nodded their head in agreement and start talking about how it makes this election so important for the future survival of the country.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Trabisnikof posted:

Edit: Beaten like McCain.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 19, 2015

Reaganball Z
Jun 21, 2007
Hybrid children watch the sea Pray for Father, roaming free
Trump needs to focus on getting the average primary voter to think of the RNC and the other candidates the way they think of Jimmy Carter. If he can do that he'll have a good chance.

Tobermory posted:

Obligatory crosspost from the politoons thread:

I hadn't seen this for years but it's immediately what I thought of when I saw that video.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hey joementum why does Iowa keep using the caucus system? Reading Wikipedia on it, it seems needlessly complex.

Caucuses tend to exist in states where the state itself doesn't want to pay the costs of running a primary.

I'm in Colorado, which is a caucus state. I did do the caucus for my area in 2008, and it was kind of fun. They basically herded about 150 Democrats into an elementary school cafeteria, then divided us up into 3 groups based on what part of the caucus area we were in. We discussed the candidates and tried to change each others minds. The demographic was pretty representative of the neighborhood at the time -- mixture of middle class retired people, working class whites and Hispanics with families, and 20-somethings that lived there because rent was cheaper than most of the Denver metro area.

Some reporter came around and took a poll of what was most important to us for the upcoming election -- healthcare, economy, or the war in Iraq. Almost nobody chose the war, so he bitched at us for being way off of the rest of the people he polled.

After that, we raised our hands, counted votes (I think it was 25 Obama and 23 Hillary or something like that for my group, it was REALLY close), discussed who would be best at handling voter outreach in our area, and went home.

I'll gladly do it again. For Bernie this time, but if Hillary wins, well, then Hillary wins.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I think the bigger point is that McCain had the single largest contribution of anyone to opening the box wide open and encouraging the racist nutters to let their freak flag fly out in the open when he picked Palin for VP. He probably didn't realize what he was doing at the time but it doesn't absolve him of responsibility for the consequences.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

blackmet posted:

Caucuses tend to exist in states where the state itself doesn't want to pay the costs of running a primary.

I'm in Colorado, which is a caucus state. I did do the caucus for my area in 2008, and it was kind of fun. They basically herded about 150 Democrats into an elementary school cafeteria, then divided us up into 3 groups based on what part of the caucus area we were in. We discussed the candidates and tried to change each others minds. The demographic was pretty representative of the neighborhood at the time -- mixture of middle class retired people, working class whites and Hispanics with families, and 20-somethings that lived there because rent was cheaper than most of the Denver metro area.

Some reporter came around and took a poll of what was most important to us for the upcoming election -- healthcare, economy, or the war in Iraq. Almost nobody chose the war, so he bitched at us for being way off of the rest of the people he polled.

After that, we raised our hands, counted votes (I think it was 25 Obama and 23 Hillary or something like that for my group, it was REALLY close), discussed who would be best at handling voter outreach in our area, and went home.

I'll gladly do it again. For Bernie this time, but if Hillary wins, well, then Hillary wins.

Well the thing I noticed as being most weird is what happens after what you described which is selecting delegates to go to another caucus at the county level that then selects delegates for a state caucus at a much later date.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

The Evangelical wing and the Business wing have always been at odds with one another.
To me it's always seemed like the business wing is the core of the party though. Evangelicals are a convenient, reliable voter base: the actual true believers like Santorum are an incidental byproduct of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder how different things would be if he picked Lieberman like he wanted... or if Kerry picked McCain like he wanted.

• Locked thread