Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

pokeyman posted:

Getting real tired of the first ~25 levels of squid jump.

Don't worry, it comes bundled with this minigame called Splatoon that you can try out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

pokeyman posted:

Shoulda been at gamestop at 8:30 in the morning to have 500lb nerds try to make awkward conversation about how adorable Lucina is like I did to get the amiibo 3-pack.

Honestly though I very rarely have to wait so long to get into a match that I have time to play more than a level or two of any of the minigames. Guess that's a good thing.

Sade fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 19, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Orabilis posted:

I think you just talk to Spike and show him an item that has 3 slots with all the sub abilities rolled.

Turns out there's a guide in the OP about respecc'd ability odds too, the whole process was pretty straightforward. :shobon:

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 19, 2015

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sorry waterslide I actually lost a few matches this time cause I was playing tired and making stupid mistakes and getting killed when I shouldn't have.

Well mostly that and some bullshit lag problems.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I should hav ekept playing after maxing out so Waterslides could have won by a million points because all the rollercoaster nerds I fought were the easiest people ever.

It's like it was their first time playing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Team Eating wins, only due to sheer numbers though, Sleep beat us in terms of battles won, and I get 16 shells for being part of the winning team, which is cool.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man do people love the Krak-on roller and Aerospray RG, goddamn

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spyke what the gently caress is that come on :mad:

Anyways I played some splat zones with the octobrush and had a lot of fun. Beacons are pretty funny; aside from their obvious use of letting your team jump back in, you can also use them as bait. Kelp dome isn't a map where beacons are very useful due to the close distance of the zone from spawn, so instead I place them right where the opponent will see them as they come into the zone. They waste time shooting at the beacon and while they're distracted I smack them with my brush. Definitely wouldn't work against smart people though.

Does squid swim speed affect the kraken form?

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Suspicious Dish posted:

except for the part where water slides are objectively more fun

objectively

more fun

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Octobrush is pretty great. It takes the utility of jumping into and out of a bad situation of the Krak-on's sub-weapons and most of the speed of the brush. Perfect for getting behind enemy lines, then rocketing off to a beacon you plunked down if poo poo gets hairy, or getting the gently caress out of there with your relative speed, or transforming into the Kraken and boogieing out of there.

Brush can probably perform the same task better, but if you get surrounded, there's pretty much no way to get out of there to keep pushing. You only real option is to jump back to spawn and fire off an Inkstrike.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Darke GBF posted:

objectively

more fun

Yes, that is correct.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Sam Faust posted:

Yes, that is correct.

nope

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Spyke what the gently caress is that come on :mad:

The expected result for Skalop brand gear?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Darke GBF posted:

objectively

more fun

Yep, agreed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Go Team Goron!

For real though what the hell am I supposed to do with all these snails. I've still got 22 left over from the last splatfest and now I have 46 of the things kicking around, and like 100,000G of liquidity. I don't think there's anything left to buy.

What do I do now?

Do I just play for... fun?

:ohdear:

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Fedule posted:

Go Team Goron!

For real though what the hell am I supposed to do with all these snails. I've still got 22 left over from the last splatfest and now I have 46 of the things kicking around, and like 100,000G of liquidity. I don't think there's anything left to buy.

What do I do now?

A feature to sell the snails for a cash injection or one of those capsule machines where you pay with a snail and get a piece of gear would be great.

I'm kinda hoping they add loadouts in the future. It's kind of a pain to go back to the plaza each time I want to switch out a weapon rather than being able to do it on the fly in the lobby.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Make everything you own 3-slot.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Make everything you own 3-slot.

This is what I'm doing. I don't get how people are not immediately spending all their sea snails to open up slots. I guess there's rerolling, too, but that seems too crapshooty for my own tastes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm spending basically all my snails the second I get them trying to get ~optimal rolls~ on the gear I use the most.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Can't you save-scum the rerolls?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

pulp rag posted:

Can't you save-scum the rerolls?

that's pretty unfresh imo

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

deadwing posted:

that's pretty unfresh imo

Hey, not saying I endorse doing it, just that it's an option.

Personally, I've only done a single re-roll and it turned out really well for my gear.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Bean posted:

I have a math problem for you: how many splatfests will we have before it becomes statistically unlikely or impossible to always be on the losing team?

Like, for the first one, there were only two choices, so you had a 50% shot of losing every Splatfest you've ever been in. For this one, there were four possibilities (Dog/coasters, dog/slides, cat/coasters, cat/slides) and only one of those (cat/slides) would be a double losing situation, so 25%. Is the next one down 12.5%?

I will do research on this for u.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bean posted:

I have a math problem for you: how many splatfests will we have before it becomes statistically unlikely or impossible to always be on the losing team?

Like, for the first one, there were only two choices, so you had a 50% shot of losing every Splatfest you've ever been in. For this one, there were four possibilities (Dog/coasters, dog/slides, cat/coasters, cat/slides) and only one of those (cat/slides) would be a double losing situation, so 25%. Is the next one down 12.5%?

It will never become impossible, and given the large playerbase it's almost certain there'll be a few people who lose most/all of them. 99.9% sounds really unlikely, but if there's a million people playing, .1% is a thousand people.

Human beings are really not good at grasping statistics involving really large numbers and really small percentages.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Azzents posted:

A feature to sell the snails for a cash injection or one of those capsule machines where you pay with a snail and get a piece of gear would be great.

I'm kinda hoping they add loadouts in the future. It's kind of a pain to go back to the plaza each time I want to switch out a weapon rather than being able to do it on the fly in the lobby.

I'm okay with backing out of the game to switch weapons, but loadouts would be pretty great. Just have a fifth box after the shoes where you pick a set of clothes and weapon you previously assembled and favorited.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Fedule posted:

Go Team Goron!

What do I do now?

I've got 36 of the dumb things now and 1 million points I don't know what to do with. I'm hording cause I bet some thing is going to happen where I can dump the points into something awesome in the future. :ninja:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

I've got 36 of the dumb things now and 1 million points I don't know what to do with. I'm hording cause I bet some thing is going to happen where I can dump the points into something awesome in the future. :ninja:

Ahh, the Club Nintendo Shutdown gambit.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Just got the game, any tips or recommended weapons for a new player?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

pokeyman posted:

This is one of those times I would totally drop $5 on some DLC of new minigames to play between matches

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Elderbean posted:

You can super jump any time to any ally or your home base by tapping their location on the gamescreen, hit y to reset your camera at an angle that's comfortable for you, watch what more experienced players do with their weapons, there's some really clever options out there. I can't find the good ink brush tutorial vid. For turf war focus on inking areas, kill players if possible, ambushing them is the best way so use your ink to be sneaky. Charge forward initially, after you die THEN ink your back lines up, always test weapons out before using them. You can single player the multiplayer stages by hitting y to recon them in the game lobby. You can hide inside vertical walls and every weapon is good if you can figure out how to use it optimally. Finally, just have fun with it. :)

Edit: If you're in a very safe spot, look down at your gamepad's map to try and figure out where the enemies are at and plan accordingly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Elderbean posted:

Use whatever appeals too you. The game makes you start with the splattershot JR. and its honestly one of the best weapons for a new player. Decent gun, decent sub, GREAT special. Feel free to experiment with other guns, just don't feel like your at a disadvantage since your selection is limited right now. As for gameplay tips, try and develop good spatial awareness. Don't tunnel vision on the area in front of you and look at your map periodically to get a feel for how the fight is progressing. Splatoon is a game where you die very easily so you need to be wary of ambushes from behind. Lots of people ignore all the information that can be gathered just by looking around and keeping an eye on the map. Don't be that guy who dies the same way every time because they never learn to stop blindly rushing forward.

Also have fun, stay fresh, remember that Marie is the good one.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 20, 2015

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I can't get over how adorable this cat is though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Elderbean posted:

Then go with Callie who is the best sister and a active member of team Cat

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Elderbean posted:

If you talk to him while on a winning streak he'll give you some cash. Its a paltry amount, but the tips he gives are actually very useful. I still learn stuff from him. Did you know that a splat bombs timer only count down when its on the ground, so if you roll it instead of tossing it through the air you'll get a quick detonation? I did not!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Then go with Callie who is the best sister and a active member of team Cat

Those are contradictory statements. Being a member of the losing, and objectively worse, team cat means that one cannot be the best anything (so long as "anything" is a positive term.)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GeneX posted:

Those are contradictory statements. Being a member of the losing, and objectively worse, team cat means that one cannot be the best anything (so long as "anything" is a positive term.)

Callie's teams are less popular but better at Splatoon.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

GeneX posted:

Callie is upbeat and even when losing takes time out to congratulate her team and tell them she appreciates the effort

Marie is always depressed and when losing belches and poo poo talks people on her side before trying to plant french fries in the dirt thinking they'll grow.

I mean you could say Marie is "the epic win" because of how terrible she is but Callie is clearly the most well adjusted of the two.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
We don't have nearly enough sample size to say that Callie's teams are always better at splatoon. If we get to the fifth splatfest and Callie's team has won every time, then maybe we can start having that conversation.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Marie is always depressed and when losing belches and poo poo talks people on her side before trying to plant french fries in the dirt thinking they'll grow.

She wasn't belching, she was holding back vomit at the thought of riding a roller coaster because she's apparently a huge whimp when it comes to that kind of stuff. She even says she's terrified of those dumb little elevators on Saltspray Rig.

Also I'd be depressed too if I constantly had to listen to Calie's terrible "jokes".

EDIT: Calie is correct about rollers being superior to chargers though. Charger players are the cancer of squid society.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What's a good weapon for Tower Control? I haven't found one I'm happy with yet.

• Locked thread