Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

... the price per bottle is cheaper than the set.

With the set though, you get some brushes, and Vallejo charges $60 for the case alone, so that's what you're paying extra for with the sets.

I was just interested in the paint. I don't need any brushes and I'd rather pay $43 for an acrylic nail polish display thing than $60 for their case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I decided to try out scale models as a hobby about a week ago and I'm starting out with a Tamiya Panther A. I want to try out a plane or ship next to see what my freak is. Can anyone suggest good companies for ships and planes? Thanks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

SkunkDuster posted:

I was just interested in the paint. I don't need any brushes and I'd rather pay $43 for an acrylic nail polish display thing than $60 for their case.

I use this for my paints (and I probably should buy another one at this point).

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015

RanchoRube posted:

I decided to try out scale models as a hobby about a week ago and I'm starting out with a Tamiya Panther A. I want to try out a plane or ship next to see what my freak is. Can anyone suggest good companies for ships and planes? Thanks.

Stick with Tamiya for your first couple builds.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I use this for my paints (and I probably should buy another one at this point).

Hobbyzone - http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/13-stands-racks-and-hangers-for-paints/ makes some great desktop organizers for paint and tools also.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Locator posted:

Hobbyzone - http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/13-stands-racks-and-hangers-for-paints/ makes some great desktop organizers for paint and tools also.

Can confirm, I have one right in front of me with a bunch of Cryx pirates on it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm making some Warmahordes (Protectorate of Menoth), and I want to give them some dusty desert weathering. Any advice on what to do?

I've done some research, but its all about wheeled and tracked vheicles. Warmachine is all troops and walkers, so I'm a bit in the dark.

I should also point out I haven't tried my hand at weathering yet.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

wtfbacon posted:

Stick with Tamiya for your first couple builds.

Seconded, they have a plethora of kits that are cheap enough to cut your teeth on, yet high quality enough that they are easy to put together and look good on a shelf.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ensign Expendable posted:

Seconded, they have a plethora of kits that are cheap enough to cut your teeth on, yet high quality enough that they are easy to put together and look good on a shelf.

Also, Tamiya doesn't have any tank models (as far as I know) with individual track links to glue together, which can be a bit...overwhelming for newcomers. Some of their WW2 tanks are older kits, but they've got pretty consistent quality.

Edit: oh wait, you were asking about ships and planes. Uhhhhh. Not really my area of expertise (to the extent that I even have one) but I'd caution that a lot of ship models are...fiddly. I have a Trumpeter kit of the HMS Dreadnought that I haven't come close to finishing because it's got about 11 billion tiny-rear end parts. There's plastic boxes made of separate walls that could have been solid pieces. It's like tweezer hell. Unless that's your thing.

The 1:72 Revell planes aren't exactly the best, but the price is right. When I first got my airbrush I got a spitfire and a bf109 for like $7 each just to have something to practice on. They're great for experimenting.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I have been thinking about getting into modeling as a sort of Zen activity, plus I am a big history nerd. There is a 1:72 Tamiya model of a IL-2 that looks kickass but it says it has to be exported from Japan and the instructions are in Japanese. Is this pretty common with Tamiya models? Would it be easy to find a manual in English online?

Also why does the OP say tanks are bad for newbies?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Tanks are better than planes, there's no loving around with transparent canopies.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The 1:72 Revell planes aren't exactly the best, but the price is right. When I first got my airbrush I got a spitfire and a bf109 for like $7 each just to have something to practice on. They're great for experimenting.

The 1:72 Revell planes are largely old Testors, ESCI, and Frog molds. They are great for what they are, though I prefer new tooling airfix for detail and engineering. Revell has nicer decals on their planes though.

The Revell F4U-1A in 1:72 is actually really nice, I made a really nice model out of it. (The Tamiya ones are supposed to be better)

Panama Red posted:

I have been thinking about getting into modeling as a sort of Zen activity, plus I am a big history nerd. There is a 1:72 Tamiya model of a IL-2 that looks kickass but it says it has to be exported from Japan and the instructions are in Japanese. Is this pretty common with Tamiya models? Would it be easy to find a manual in English online?

Also why does the OP say tanks are bad for newbies?

Tanks are bad for newbies because they are generally full of finicky little suspension parts and the tracks are either individual links that have to be glued together around the roadwheels or lengths of molded-as-one track that have to be built around the wheels like a puzzle.

That being said, Dragon has a line of tanks with DS branded tracks that are like a paintable rubber strip that can be wrapped around the wheels.

In conclusion gently caress tanks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
If you're getting crazy pre-war poo poo like a MkV or a Vickers, then yeah, the suspension has a lot of pieces. Once you get to WWII era, the suspensions become a lot simpler. As for tracks, older kits come with vinyl tracks where all you have to do is slip two pins into each other and heat them up until they deform. Easy peasy.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Also, Tamiya doesn't have any tank models (as far as I know) with individual track links to glue together, which can be a bit...overwhelming for newcomers. Some of their WW2 tanks are older kits, but they've got pretty consistent quality.

Individual links are some kind of loving frustrating, first armor I've picked up: Tamiya / Italeri M109 self propelled howitzer, and I've been fiddling with links for the best part of a weekend and still not done. Every time they are all glued in the correct lengths a link or two will fall apart as I try and assemble - I swear they're made of some type of glue-resistant plastic :confused:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

As for tracks, older kits come with vinyl tracks where all you have to do is slip two pins into each other and heat them up until they deform. Easy peasy.

Sounds easy, until you're trying to fit them on and they snap, and there's no feasible way to mend the two pieces and have it look anything close to good.

I hate vinyl tracks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
What kind of ancient tracks are you using? I've only seen broken tracks on one kit, and it was from the 60s. You can also mend them with a staple and cover it up with mud or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

RanchoRube posted:

For ships, get a Trumpeter 1:200 scale Missouri and all the photo-etch upgrades for it from Eduard.

This is a joke. Don't do this unless you hate yourself and your wallet. It will cost well over $500 and is probably over 3000 parts, and it's over 53" long.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

For ships, get a Trumpeter 1:200 scale Missouri and all the photo-etch upgrades for it from Eduard.

This is a joke. Don't do this unless you hate yourself and your wallet. It will cost well over $500 and is probably over 3000 parts, and it's over 53" long.

While we're on the topic of massively oversized ships with too many parts, I did start on my Victory. Nothing too interesting to show there yet, but I DID build a teeny tiny cannon today. :3:

Also work on the Japanese train continues

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jonny Nox posted:

Tanks are bad for newbies because they are generally full of finicky little suspension parts and the tracks are either individual links that have to be glued together around the roadwheels or lengths of molded-as-one track that have to be built around the wheels like a puzzle.

Out of curiosity, which tank are you talking apart here? I've never had the suspension be the biggest pain in the dick.

Aside from Dragon's Maus kit, but that's a really special case. There's nothing that could make a tank with that many bogies and wheels pleasant to put together.

The Locator posted:

Ahahah, christ, you weren't kidding.

Fuuuck that.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 19, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That looks kinda cool not painted, shows off the brass.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Jonny Nox posted:

The 1:72 Revell planes are largely old Testors, ESCI, and Frog molds. They are great for what they are, though I prefer new tooling airfix for detail and engineering. Revell has nicer decals on their planes though.

The Revell F4U-1A in 1:72 is actually really nice, I made a really nice model out of it. (The Tamiya ones are supposed to be better)

That being said, Dragon has a line of tanks with DS branded tracks that are like a paintable rubber strip that can be wrapped around the wheels.

Thanks.

On the Tamiya models, though, can people recommend a good retailer to buy from through Amazon? The Tamiya USA catalog is expensive by comparison and the nearest retailer is in another state. I don't mind ordering from Japan, but it seems unclear if the instructions come in both English and Japanese or just Japanese. Been burned recently on some things I ordered online so looking for guidance.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I'm taking my girlfriend's brother to see the Iowa in San Pedro tomorrow so I think I might grab a kit of that. I think I'll go 1/700 with it because my girlfriend is already concerned about space with my 1/35 Panther. If that 1/200 MO kit wasn't 500 bux, I'd get it just to get her goin'. I'm torn between the Tamiya waterline and a full hull kit.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Troll Bridgington posted:

Thanks again for this! I followed your advice on my mustang today. I thinned my paint a lot more, turned down the psi, and built up light coats. The preshading actually came through!

Not the best picture, but I'm already much happier with this paint job so far.

Glad I could help a little, I'll be looking forward to seeing how this progresses on.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Panama Red posted:

Thanks.

On the Tamiya models, though, can people recommend a good retailer to buy from through Amazon? The Tamiya USA catalog is expensive by comparison and the nearest retailer is in another state. I don't mind ordering from Japan, but it seems unclear if the instructions come in both English and Japanese or just Japanese. Been burned recently on some things I ordered online so looking for guidance.

I do most of my hobby kit searches on http://www.hobbylinc.com/ (US store, ), but since cross-atlantic shipping has gotten more expensive, I often end up buying from http://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/ (UK store, obviously). Hobbylinc is great is because you can look after countries and eras when searching.

I'm also quite new to model kits, but I've been wargaming for many years, so I have some experience of building plastic miniatures. I'm mostly building 1/48 vehicles, and I haven't seen anything in the Italeri or Tamiya kits I've built that would be impossible to figure out, even for a beginner. There are things that I mess up now and then, but you have to gently caress up a lot more than on plane or boat kits before it's noticable, and a lot can be hidden by adding stowage or just dirt to a fighting vehicle.

I agree on Tamiya having solid tank kits that are good enough to feel like you're not working with poo poo, but simple enough that you're not overwhelmed. The Italeri kits have been good quality, but much worse instructions. The Tamiya ones are clear enough that I think I could manage decently with just the pictures, even.

I just built this Panzer 38(t): http://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-german-panzer-38t-ausf-e:f-plastic-model-military-vehicle-kit-1:48-scale-32583

Rolling with the Kübelwagen I just built as well

I found it to be the easiest tank to build yet, and it was released just this spring. There is no suspension or anything to build, the wheels in the threads just go directly on pegs from the hull. The only part that should be tricky are gluing the threads, and I don't think you'll find much simpler threads than these. It helps that I like early WW2 boxy tanks, they are cute as heck. So yeah, I would recommend getting a couple of Tamiya kits as your first tries, and ask here if you get stuck on something.

e: I've also built (in 1/48) Tamiya's Pz. II, Sd. Kfz. 251 and Sd. Kfz. 232, as well as ICM's Sd. Kfz. 222. All of them were pretty easy kits, so I don't think there's so much reason to fear until you start getting into the more detailed types of 1/35 kits, which I imagine can get a lot worse. Maybe I'll work up the courage and get one for Christmas. :)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 19, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Panama Red posted:

Thanks.

I buy through Amazon, usually without looking at the actual seller. Frequently while really, really drunk. Regardless of where they ship from they've always had at least an english version of the instructions.

Just be warned that anything sent actually from Japan will take a highly unpredictable amount of time to arrive. I've had stuff show up a week later, and had other packages that took so long I'd totally forgotten about that and ended up with a mystery package a month down the line.

Anything Prime enabled is pretty much interchangeable, though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Panama Red posted:

Thanks.

Don't worry about instructions being in japanese. 99% of model instructions are made like Ikea instructions, with symbols and arrows that basically say "Part A attaches to Part B". Any other bits that my need explaining have been documented 100 times over on various modeling sites and forums.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

RanchoRube posted:

I'm taking my girlfriend's brother to see the Iowa in San Pedro tomorrow so I think I might grab a kit of that. I think I'll go 1/700 with it because my girlfriend is already concerned about space with my 1/35 Panther. If that 1/200 MO kit wasn't 500 bux, I'd get it just to get her goin'. I'm torn between the Tamiya waterline and a full hull kit.

If you're worried about space for your tanks, scale down to 1:72nd. It's also a very popular armour scale, and you can get a lot of wargaming kits that are all snap-together and very very simple.

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015

Jonny Nox posted:

You take that poo poo back right now, son. :mad: Airplanes have poo poo tons of fiddly little bits that hang off them and usually have to be painted separately from the rest of the kit. Then just as you're about to put them all together something breaks or falls off. Also, planes have these graceful, gentle curves that are inevitably on join lines, so they almost always require filling and sanding to look decent. Tanks are usually boxy and square and require minimal filling to look good.

In all seriousness though, each genre has its own ups and downs. To the guy that originally asked, just do some research (see http://scalemates.com ) on what kits fit your fancy. Look for when it was tooled and try to read some reviews. Go from there.

But seriously though, gently caress DS tracks. Dragon dropped the loving ball when they decided to go with DS tracks instead of magic tracks. I've got a pair of King Tigers in my stash that I bought before I realized just how bad DS tracks are. I just ended up spending $100+ on two sets of Friuls from Sprue Brothers because I hate DS tracks so much.

Panama Red posted:

There are a lot of great online retailers in the US, bud. You don't necessary need to go thru Amazon unless you're dead set on them for some reason. Try:

http://store.spruebrothers.com
http://hobbylinc.com
http://scalehobbyist.com (my fav)
http://megahobby.com
http://towerhobbies.com
http://squadron.com

There are tons more, but those are some of the bigger names.

wtfbacon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 20, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

If you're getting crazy pre-war poo poo like a MkV or a Vickers, then yeah, the suspension has a lot of pieces. Once you get to WWII era, the suspensions become a lot simpler. As for tracks, older kits come with vinyl tracks where all you have to do is slip two pins into each other and heat them up until they deform. Easy peasy.
The Churchill mocks you, and the rest of the British Infantry Tank line stands behind it saying "good one".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Oh come on, the Valentine isn't bad. The other two... they never really moved on from WWI.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
All of them were actually oddly successful designs, but you're forgetting at least one more, some of which even had sensible suspension before never seeing production.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
There's always the TOG

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Panama Red posted:

On the Tamiya models, though, can people recommend a good retailer to buy from through Amazon?

Here's my usual list of shops:

Modeling Community Sites
Scalemates
Armorama
Perth Military Modeling

Canadian Art Supplies
Colours Art Supplies
Opus Art Supplies
Deserres
Sculpture Supply Canada
Sial

Canadian Hobby Shops
Think Hobbies
PM Hobbycraft
Great Hobbies
Udisco
Hobby Hobby
Elm City Hobbies
The Barrel Store
Air Connection
Imperial Hobbies
Old Dog Models
Hobbystuff Depot

US Hobby Shops
Sprue Brothers
Red Frog Hobbies
MegaHobby
Squadron

Asian Hobby Shops
Lucky Model
Hobbylink Japan
Tamiya Shop
Hobby Easy

UK Hobby Shops
Historex Agents
Hannants

Raw Materials/Basing Supplies
MiniArt Models
Archer Transfers
The Scenic Factory
Woodland Scenics
Evergreen Plastic
Plastruct
Canyon Creek Scenics
Reality in Scale
Model Scene

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hobby Hobby - Good shop with the worst name

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Here's my usual list of shops:

Is there some way to save your post as a local HTML file and bookmark it?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

SkunkDuster posted:

Is there some way to save your post as a local HTML file and bookmark it?

Click the # button next to the post, then either bookmark it or press Ctrl+S to save.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Speaking of airbrushes, can anyone comment on this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO/

Amazon has a pretty amazing price ($82 for a list price of $400).

My cheapo Master brush has decided to remain locked in full spatter mode regardless of what I do. Upgrade time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yooper posted:

Speaking of airbrushes, can anyone comment on this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO/

Amazon has a pretty amazing price ($82 for a list price of $400).

My cheapo Master brush has decided to remain locked in full spatter mode regardless of what I do. Upgrade time.

From the miniatures thread, the consensus is that the Sotar is ace for fine detail work, and must be bought when found on those infrequent Amazon sales, but it's not meant for priming, or painting large flat areas.

The idea would be to get that one for detail work, then get another cheap workhorse just for the wide angle stuff, and you'll still be ahead.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
As someone who currently does all his model kit paintwork with brushes and Revell enamel paints, would there be any advantage to switch to airbrushes? My main concerns are a lack of space and ventilation. Currently I do all my building at my PC desk, I'm in a tiny apartment with not too much space or any separate workspace(or even adequate ventilation)

Overall results I'm getting are pretty decent though, I just have the occasional missed spot or with some paints(gloss mainly) slightly visible brushstrokes.

Also, the only paints I have good access to are the Revell enamels since they're sold in various places, as opposed to others that I could only get from a specialty store or order online. Considering I've got like fourty different paint colors already I'd like to avoid having to rebuy them all, and it's gonna be mainly for larger surfaces as I'm moving to larger kits(started out with 1/144 fighter planes)

Reason I'm asking is because I recently built the Revell 1/24 Volkswagen T1 panel van, and painting the larger surfaces on it was a bit of a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Thanks for the awesome replies! Definitely very useful for buying kits. I think I might start off with a Revell 1/48 P-40B to start. Only intimidating thing is the paint job, since I am not ready to invest in an airbrush quite yet. I do have ample Play Doh, though, so masking for hard edged 2-color camo shouldn't be a problem. Also, once I have some experience, I want to do the IL-2 Sturmovik, as that is my favorite plane from WW2

Once the kit arrives, I'll be sure to pester the thread with my progress.

Panama Red fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 20, 2015