Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now that I think about it, Toxx should do an X-Files watch next. With the new series starting next year, there's a renewed public interest in the series, Netflix has begun putting HD quality remasters out, and he'd have Kumail Nanjiani's podcast to supplement things.

also, that would give me an excuse for a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If you are lazy and don't want to waste many hours of your life on procedural stuffing, you can watch only Vince Gilligan's episodes

My memories of X-files are slowly being replaced by tumblr screencaps so it all becomes a series of Scully sillyface reactions and hopelessly dated technology

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nah, just skip anything not written by Glen Morgan, Darin Morgan, James Wong, or Gilligan. Gilligan's early episodes are actually pretty weak. Also, skip any Mytharc episode after the movie.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just watch everything

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Or that. You don't want to miss the episode that reveals Mulder's fear of fire or the one where the building computer system becomes sentient and tries to kill everyone.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

just tbc i wouldn't be reviewing X Files, just watching it

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Toxxupation posted:

This is probably wise.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Of course, because you'll be reviewing Farscape

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Of course, because you'll be reviewing Each monster hunter title in turn

Mix up the media.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

you motherfucker

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

since i'm at 10 reviews left i do have to start giving Serious Thoughts to what im gonna review next

i'm p certain i know what it is but i'm willin to take suggestions

i'd like a show that is not great or amazing but also isn't super bad, esp boringly bad

like the right mix for a good review series it seems is like a mostly bad show with some real moments of hope to make the badness all the more soul-crushing

also hello soothing vapors long time no see man

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Toxxupation posted:

since i'm at 10 reviews left i do have to start giving Serious Thoughts to what im gonna review next

i'd like a show that is not great or amazing but also isn't super bad, esp boringly bad

like the right mix for a good review series it seems is like a mostly bad show with some real moments of hope to make the badness all the more soul-crushing

The answer is Farscape.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Don't watch Star Trek, don't do it!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

please watch all of Star Trek from the start because I've been doing that since Leonard Nimoy died and I'm only 18 episodes in

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cargohills posted:

please watch all of Star Trek from the start because I've been doing that since Leonard Nimoy died and I'm only 18 episodes in

I did this, after doing some things at work that involved Mr. Nimoy, and do not do it. Or at least stop after Deep Space Nine.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'll watch Enterprise and Voyager and the TNG movies and you can't stop me!!

e: tbh though I'm dreading not having Kirk, Spock and McCoy because they're just great

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cargohills posted:

I'll watch Enterprise and Voyager and the TNG movies and you can't stop me!!

e: tbh though I'm dreading not having Kirk, Spock and McCoy because they're just great

Watch the Animated Series for about an extra season of them!

Seriously, though, Voyager doesn't even meet Toxx's description because there are no moments of hope. It is seven full seasons of very, very bad television.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

does Enterprise meet that description, then?

e: also I've seen one scene from Voyager, where half-Klingon lady and the captain are talking about how difficult it is to be half-Klingon or whatever and it was really poo poo

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Would occ possibly come back if you picked a show he would enjoy reviewing, I found the way your two reviews contrasted one of the more interesting bits especially when your opinion differed on an episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cargohills posted:

does Enterprise meet that description, then?

e: also I've seen one scene from Voyager, where half-Klingon lady and the captain are talking about how difficult it is to be half-Klingon or whatever and it was really poo poo

Yeah. It's an embarrassing retread of the old shows in early seasons and it turns into kind of a disaster when they start doing season long plots, among a host of other sins, but there are moments when you say "This could have been a good show." The ending is infamously bad, unfortunately.

Post in the Star Trek thread here, if you're not already, because most of them can laugh at the bad episodes and have some good jokes to get you through the crime you're committing against yourself by watching the whole thing.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

can you give me a link? I tried to find it a few days ago and I couldn't. I found the CD thread but it didn't have a link to the TVIV thread.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Seconding Farscape, Toxx. You'll probably hate it at the beginning, and scream at us for recommending it. AND THEN YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE. It is inevitable. It's fantastic. Although I've only seen as far as the end of season 2, so I can't vouch for the quality beyond that point. But it is like nothing else in terms of its plot, character development, and art direction. Well, obviously it owes a lot to Star Trek, but it paints with a different storytelling brush. also THERE ARE MUPPET ALIENS AND IT IS SO COOL. It allows for non-humanoid aliens, and one of the puppet characters is pretty much one of the most expressive puppets ever made.

I know it's not a bad show like you're looking for, but Dr Who is not a bad show, either, for what it is. Farscape is similarly goofy and outlandish, but its strongest suit is that there is practically no technobabble. It's like a reaction to TNG, trying to do the opposite of every bad thing TNG did. TNG had beige, 80's as hell set design, so Farscape has a bizarre, more organic design to its sets. TNG has characters who are scarcely ever wrong or in interpersonal conflict. Farscape has characters who make tons of terrible decisions and bicker constantly. TNG has an all powerful, all loving Federation. Farscape...has something else. TNG focuses on a military exploration vessel. Farscape focuses on escaped convicts and a stranded astronaut. TNG takes a condescending, Earth: Galactic Police attitude towards other cultures, superficially tolerant, but only in the "I put up with you within certain parameters" sense. Farscape is far more empathetic. TNG has pale black-clothed evil aliens who are super-boring. Farscape has a pale, black-clothed evil alien who is super-interesting.

I will probably be reamed for my developed antipathy for TNG, but whatevs, I have seen the light.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cargohills posted:

can you give me a link? I tried to find it a few days ago and I couldn't. I found the CD thread but it didn't have a link to the TVIV thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576140

Enjoy!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Toxxupation posted:

Farscape would be a very much Doctor Who like experience for reviewing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Spatula City posted:

I know it's not a bad show
:laugh:

Toxxupation posted:

I was always here in spirit

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH SOOTHING VAPORS. FARSCAPE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST SCI-FI PROGRAMS OF ALL TIME. :frogout:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah. It's an embarrassing retread of the old shows in early seasons and it turns into kind of a disaster when they start doing season long plots, among a host of other sins, but there are moments when you say "This could have been a good show." The ending is infamously bad, unfortunately.

I don't know what you mean, I thought Terra Prime was a very appropriate ending for a surprisingly strong last season. :colbert:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Have you seen Weeds? That definitely fits the mostly bad but with brief moments of hope criteria.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

All 11 seasons of Supernatural. :getin:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

All of the Brian Fuller shows (I haven't seen Hannibal so I can't speak for that) fit the bill. They all sort of stumble to their feet and just as they're finding their place, decide to go completely off the rails, and then they get canceled.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, TOXX HAVE YOU SEEN HANNIBAL?! If not Farscape, do Hannibal. I'd read you doing long stream of consciousness reviews about it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bicyclops posted:

Don't watch Star Trek, don't do it!

I haven't actually seen Star Trek, and I'm at pretty much the same place with it that Occ was with Who when he started this (not impressed with what I have seen, to say the least). Maybe I should become insane and make some crazy review thread for Star Trek.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Spatula City posted:

Wait, TOXX HAVE YOU SEEN HANNIBAL?! If not Farscape, do Hannibal. I'd read you doing long stream of consciousness reviews about it.

HAhahahahahahahHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHDAHAHAHAAHHAHhahahahAHHAHAHAH

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

All I know about Hannibal is the insane story about network S&P and the arsecrack.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

All of the Godzilla movies

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spatula City posted:

He really really hates Hannibal

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'd like to take this moment to recommend Babylon 5.

There's a lot to love, a lot to hate, and pretty much nobody who's seen it is indifferent to it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spatula City posted:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

Just go for Game of Thrones then. Or an anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
If you want a scifi series that starts out great and then falls apart before your very eyes, try BSGalactica.

Thrones would be an awesome series to watch someone go through and review, but I would just assume everyone's seen it by now

• Locked thread