Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

coyo7e posted:

Whoa poo poo, Bojack Horseman season 2 is up! :supaburn:

Yeah I'm pretty excited about this, too. It's the best fever-on-the-couch show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

whatshesaid posted:

Yeah I'm pretty excited about this, too. It's the best fever-on-the-couch show.

I'm digging it, though episode 7 just bummed me out.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
An Honest Liar is on Netflix and is a pretty great biography of one of the most prominent debunkers of scum of the last century: James Randi.

Edit: more info:

James Randi was an magician and escape artist that styled himself very much after Houdini. After giving up escape artistry, he started exposing fraudulent psychics and faith healers - most famously Peter Popoff. The documentary goes into detail about his more famous escapades and has some pretty interesting stuff about his partner.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Bullcrap, his most famous debunking was the Monster Cable vs Coat Hanger test. ;)

Sleeveless posted:

I haven't even started it yet but when you pull up the page the "D" in "episodes" is missing, just like the D from the HOLLYWOOD sign in Bojack. Well-played, Netflix.
For a while they had a "also watched by Bojack Horseman" section, which was all poo poo like War Horse and Black Beauty, and crushing portrayals of alcoholics who ruined their lives.

Rolo posted:

I'm digging it, though episode 7 just bummed me out.
Episode 7 is the one I was trying to recall which changed my view of the show from a wacky zany comedy to something that was a lot more serious than it let on at first.

"Thanks, phone." :smith:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

coyo7e posted:

Episode 7 is the one I was trying to recall which changed my view of the show from a wacky zany comedy to something that was a lot more serious than it let on at first.

"Thanks, phone." :smith:

Bojack Horseman is really starting to turn into a much better Californication.

poo poo gets dark in season 2.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I just spree-watched through season 1 again to start on season 2, and the season finale shocked me because I forgot just how melancholy it was. Yeah, you get everything you want.. And it's hollow. And you don't know what to do.

I hope to see a lot more Vincent Adultman though, the teaser of his office at the business-factory in season 2 first episode was shocking and pretty sly - you could have blinked and missed it.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I watched the first two episodes of Bojack and it didn't really catch me. Parts made me laugh, but I don't feel compelled to watch the rest of it. Is it a show that you need to watch all of for it to click? Or is it just not my speed? Should I give it a few more episodes before I throw in the towel?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It shifts from a corny cartoon with ok jokes to a great show with tons of emotion and good humor. Keep going.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Watrick posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Bojack and it didn't really catch me. Parts made me laugh, but I don't feel compelled to watch the rest of it. Is it a show that you need to watch all of for it to click? Or is it just not my speed? Should I give it a few more episodes before I throw in the towel?

I'm generally opposed to telling people that don't like a show to "keep watching"; but, keep watching. Even if the show doesn't hit you right, it gets props for really being distinctive compared to other adult-ish cartoons from the past 10-15 years. The show keeps impressing me, and season 2 is even better.

Also, I think I just figured out that Road House and Tombstone are both the same, exact movie but in alternate universes, with a nexus at Sam Elliott.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Watrick posted:

The shift from weird animal comedy into serious drama with lots of fun background detail and good writing, is subtle. If you haven't figured out why you want to watch after episode 7 you probably won't miss much except for the tie ins with other Netflix shows, and heavy poo poo about depression here and there between shots of J Peterman in Cordovlira. I'm not sure if season two was closure or opening for another season,compared to the finale of season 1 season 2 finale was totally different. It isn't a downer as much as an empathic roller coaster.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Jul 20, 2015

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

coyo7e posted:

I'm not sure if season two was closure or opening for another season,compared to the finale of season 1 season 2 finale was totally different. It isn't a downer as much as an empathic roller coaster.

Yeah, season 2 definitely feels like a thematic setup for a third season. It fits into nice narrative arcs, S1 being Bojack having everything society says is success, S2 having everything he thought he wanted and finding it equally empty and harmful, S3 would be self-actualization and the consequences of trying for an existentially meaningful life in a city built on vapidity.

I do hope they go for a third season because in doing all the setup they lost a lot of narrative momentum, especially with the increased focus on supporting characters as people rather than reflections of Bojack.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Tim Burton's Batman, Roadhouse, and the Warriors are all up!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Tim Burton's Batman, Roadhouse, and the Warriors are all up!

I wonder what Tim Burton's Roadhouse would be like

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fliptophead posted:

I wonder what Tim Burton's Roadhouse would be like
Swayze would have become a bouncer to prove something to his disapproving, emotionally distant father.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

John Big Booty posted:

Swayze would have become a bouncer to prove something to his disapproving, emotionally distant father.

To fund his hobby of life-size claymation he creates in the basement. Until a thunderstorm rolls in and they come to life, only to escape and wreak horrifyingly funny violence on the patrons of the bar.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

flosofl posted:

To fund his hobby of life-size claymation he creates in the basement. Until a thunderstorm rolls in and they come to life, only to escape and wreak horrifyingly funny violence on the patrons of the bar.

Do we learn something about ourselves at the end?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

We learned that Helena Carter should do better movies.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

If you like documentaries about cinematic trainwrecks, along the lines of "Jodorowsky's Dune" and "Lost in La Mancha", don't miss Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau. It's a delightful depiction of a legendary clusterfuck.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

spite house posted:

If you like documentaries about cinematic trainwrecks, along the lines of "Jodorowsky's Dune" and "Lost in La Mancha", don't miss Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau. It's a delightful depiction of a legendary clusterfuck.

It's also worth noting that both of Stanley's major feature films, Hardware and Dust Devil, are both on Netflix. I highly recommend the operatic killer robot nightmare fever dream that is Hardware

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The Guest was just added. If you liked You're Next you should watch this

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For anybody who enjoyed Best Worst Movie, the doc about the making of "Troll 2", I'd recommend Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Doctor Moreau, which recently popped up on Netflix. The first third of the film is somewhat slow, but it definitely picks up--especially once they get into the bizarre behaviors of the lead actors (particularly Brando, his constant hijacking of the script, and his plot to turn the world's smallest man into a mini-me that was present in every scene) and the ever-growing troupe of extras.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Deadite posted:

The Guest was just added. If you liked You're Next you should watch this

I'm about halfway through it and I'm digging it. It's like Fear meets Funny Games. Lead crazy guy is great.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
That guy previously played Cousin Matthew on Downton Abbey

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rolo posted:

I'm about halfway through it and I'm digging it. It's like Fear meets Funny Games. Lead crazy guy is great.
Lead crazy guy is Captain America, iirc. I thought that added a nice whiff of fourth wall.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

coyo7e posted:

Lead crazy guy is Captain America, iirc. I thought that added a nice whiff of fourth wall.

Nope, Dan Stevens http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1405398/?ref_=tt_cl_t1
is not Chris Evans http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0262635/

There's at least a resemblance this time, but sometimes I wonder if you guys used to run up and call anyone with vaguely the same hair color "Dad" when you were little.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
I just watched Why Don't You Play in Hell on Amazon
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2409302/

Really good movie about friendship and love and its funny too

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

There's at least a resemblance this time, but sometimes I wonder if you guys used to run up and call anyone with vaguely the same hair color "Dad" when you were little.
Everyone with blond hair looks like hitler.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Dan Steven's performance is reminiscent of Chris Evans's Captain America, though.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Dan Steven's performance is reminiscent of Chris Evans's Captain America, though.

I got a more unsettling Matthew Mcconaughey vibe from him.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

He had to beat off a lot of American men for the part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZe777oON8w

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

I might have to watch it again but I would think that's only the writing and a few both literal and figurative nods. He played the character a little creepy/wrong from "the all American soldier" even in his very first scene. The only reason he's welcomed into the home is the void their loss has left them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The Barber was pretty good. I fuckin' looove Lance Henrikson (who I hadn't realized was a major role in it,) and I kept getting it mixed up with that Adam Sandler movie about him being a magical jew who shines shoes or some crap - I guess Sandler was jealous of Bagger Vance?

Fun movie, couple twists I didn't expect, satisfying ending. I wanted it to go differently but it was almost as satisfying as what I'd built up in my head halfway through.

On Netflix US right now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"American Mary" is pretty hosed up.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Doctor who season 8 went up on netflix

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

I know goons have love for Danganronpa. It's up on Hulu.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Watrick posted:

I know goons have love for Danganronpa. It's up on Hulu.

There's a show? The games are a guilty pleasure but only because they scratch a murder mystery itch I didn't realize I had.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

There's a show? The games are a guilty pleasure but only because they scratch a murder mystery itch I didn't realize I had.

Yep. It's the first game animated. It's broken up into a few arcs over 12 episodes or so. It feels really rushed, everything happens fast. You lose a lot of what made the game interesting in the process. However, if you've played the game it's not a bad time. I love Monokuma's voice.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
If you've got 2 hours to spare and don't mind subtitles, Admiral: Roaring Currents was much better of a movie than I expected. Think of it like the korean naval version of 300. If you liked Red Cliff you might enjoy this too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fishstick posted:

If you've got 2 hours to spare and don't mind subtitles, Admiral: Roaring Currents was much better of a movie than I expected. Think of it like the korean naval version of 300. If you liked Red Cliff you might enjoy this too.

Regarding Red Cliff, I highly recommend the International Version which comes in at 4 hours and 48 mins. While I know this is the Streaming Content thread, that movie is just too drat good to watch an abridged version which is the only version available on Netflix, Amazon Prime and iTunes. How ever the BD is only $14 (DVD is $12).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Boondocks. That is, if you like black, racially charged comedy