Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Testekill posted:

There's a new Todd in the Shadows up for his patreons, this time for "See You Again" by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth.

EDIT: Although he's considering just making it public since Blip is borked right now.

Public now

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/see-you-again-by-wiz-khalifa-ft-charlie-puth-a-pop-song-review-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

How old is Aurini? Because he looks about 40, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 25.

Mentally or physically?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I'm guessing Aurini is mid 30s. 35 or 36. Owen said he was 34 in one of his videos.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 17, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

So if I'm reading that first paragraph right, if you try to bake a woman in an oven, she will stab you? Am I correct?

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

My totally real girlfriend is not offended by this hugely defamatory article, so no one should be, ever.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

emeriin posted:

Regarding the quiz show, I actually enjoyed it more? I shouldn't and my standards are so low, but the contestants seemed to be having a better time, General Anesthetic actually had lines, no terribly sexist Miss Stockholm character, the questions felt more streamlined and I wasn't really a fan of Brad's snarking (though I don't blame him!) so I'm fine with changing it to Doug.

It's obvious that Brad wanted no part of the show. Can't blame him.

As far as the humor, I thought it was pretty bad. It felt like it was Make Doug Laugh by referencing his work.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know, I know. Aurini is a shithead and hardly even worth talking about but one of his first lines in this video is golden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuFXXJ6pJ8Q

"There hasn't been a decent first person shooter since Max Payne 2."

:bravo: You go out and destroy Anita on her obvious ignorance you stupid MRA gently caress.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Tracula posted:

I know, I know. Aurini is a shithead and hardly even worth talking about but one of his first lines in this video is golden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuFXXJ6pJ8Q

"There hasn't been a decent first person shooter since Max Payne 2."

:bravo: You go out and destroy Anita on her obvious ignorance you stupid MRA gently caress.

I don't know about that. He is still good for a laugh.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Hey kid. You look good with that cigarette-- kind of sophisticated.

BobbyK fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 18, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't get where he's going with all the American flag stuff and cowboy hat. He made a much more convincing closeted supervillain than he does a closeted cowboy. His bedroom looks dank too. Where's that glorious skull-filled living room?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Catching up on videos I missed because of the Daily Show marathon...

http://www.thecinemasnob.com/midnight-screenings/midnight-screenings-the-gallows-and-minions

Yeah, I'd totally watch a Michael Bay Jem and the Holograms despite being very much not a fan of either the franchise or the director.

Edit: I mean, the Misfits once trapped them IN A VOLCANO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPC3NFgIA8U

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 18, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, Kyle, change your shirt! And maybe get a fan in your room or something.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Holy poo poo, Kyle, change your shirt! And maybe get a fan in your room or something.

I know.

I. Know.

I.... KNOW.

:(

It was hot and I didn't even notice how badly I was sweating until halfway through the shoot. I temporarily forgot why I don't usually shoot in summer. Whoops.

KKall fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 18, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Kyle, every time I watch one of your videos, all I can think is "Holy poo poo, this guy is a genius".

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So Kyle, is YouTube giving you any trouble right now?

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

So Kyle, is YouTube giving you any trouble right now?

Actually, no! The way I edit things nowadays is generally Youtube-copyright-bot-friendly so no flags for me. I need to do some re-edits on a lot of older videos (stupid theme song) but the transition from one platform to another should be smoother than a lot of people are fearing.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

YouTube is completely safe as long as you don't plan to monetize your videos.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

DStecks posted:

Hence Patreon.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

DStecks posted:

Bullcrap.

I do a lot of the videography for the dance studio my wife and I dance at. (Casual, non-competitive dance). The studio pays a yearly licensing fee to use the music it does, up to and including performance rights.

I decided one day that, hey, I have these cameras. We have routines to learn. No one takes good dance notes. How about I film the last couple minutes of each class, where we drill the routine, and make them available for everyone?

So I do. Each video contains ~30-60 seconds of highly edited music (for content, length, flow)-- and since it's just a camera in a studio, it's mono, tinny, full of echoes and people shouting "FIVE SIX SEVEN EIGHT" over top of it.

I flagged the videos as private (so only the dancers with the link can see it), and non-monetized. The videos weren't even named the song names, just "Tuesday 6:30 Hip Hop, July 1st".

Every single one of them was flagged. They were either muted, or not allowed on mobile devices, or taken down, or forced to be monetized by the "copyright holder" (some enforcement bot).

I disputed every claim, and every claim instantly get denied-- as in, the "copyright holder" is allowed to instantly, blanket deny any counterclaim. If I tried to counter-counter claim, my account would get strikes.

So otterfuck that. I paid $60/year to Vimeo, and have never had an issue since. Though, as I just learned, you can't monetize your videos through Vimeo (well, you can, but it's tip-jar, not ad-based). So while it's an amazing service, it isn't right for content producers who rely on ads in order to, y'know, live and eat and stuff like that.

Tell you what-- the day that no one can take down NASA's video-- because NASA put up a non-monetized clip, and a news station used that clip, and their bot claimed ownership of NASA's original clip-- the day that scenario is no longer possible (hell, I'll go for "no longer common place", even), *THEN* I'll agree that YouTube is safe for content creators.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The ContentID system is a built-in part of the video processing... process. It makes exactly zero difference if the videos are private because the system runs as you upload your video. And yeah, music is the number one thing you'll get substantially hosed on, but AFAIK you didn't really have a leg to stand on as far as copyright goes; you weren't reviewing the music or using it as a parody or any of the things fair use covers, you had it in the background of your video, and yes, that's a legitimate thing for a copyright holder to regulate (though wielding it against every little rando on YouTube is excessive, no argument there). Whether or not your performance rights covered recording may or may not have been covered in your license, I don't know, but if you were absolutely 100% legally in the clear then you can file a counter-dispute and (with some time) the video will be freed up because the alternative is to sue you.

Vimeo seems like a legitimately better service for what you want, i.e. private hosting of video files for a small audience. YouTube's policies are built to regulate content producers with audiences on the scale of broadcast television.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

DStecks posted:

but if you were absolutely 100% legally in the clear then you can file a counter-dispute and (with some time) the video will be freed up because the alternative is to sue you.

I did file a counter claim, which was summarily rejected. Fast enough to show me that counter-claims are allowed to be rejected by a bot without question. My only option at that point was to file real actual paperwork which would mean yes, I could be sued. Or my YouTube account banned. Or who knows, maybe Google will decide to shut down my Gmail account (like they did with people breaking Google Plus "real name" rules at that point in time).

The entire system is weighted 100% in favor of the people who make money policing the copyrights of corporations who make money from other people's creative work. It allows for massive abuse (beyond false positives, or going after non-infringing works, or ignoring fair-use...), with next to zero recourse. There's no proper counter-dispute policy. It utterly destroys reviews, criticism and parody.

So in regards to your original statement "YouTube is completely safe as long as you don't plan to monetize your videos.", I still disagree. It isn't completely safe. It isn't remotely safe, even if you don't monetize. (And by safe, I mean "You can upload a non-infringing video, and not have it muted, taken down, taken over, monetized in favor of someone else, or have your account negatively affected in any way").

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

lornekates posted:

It utterly destroys reviews, criticism and parody.

Yeah that's how I've been using YouTube for 7+ years, 5 of which were spent making reviews and let's plays, without a significant issue. :v:

And no you loving would not get sued. Could. But would not. Because no company is that terminally moronic to take somebody on for music use in private videos. The fearmongering that gets thrown around when it comes to YouTube is just ludicrous.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DStecks posted:

Yeah that's how I've been using YouTube for 7+ years, 5 of which were spent making reviews and let's plays, without a significant issue. :v:

No offense but just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean other people don't get nailed over moronic poo poo.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

DStecks posted:

And no you loving would not get sued. Could.

Me posted:

I could be sued.

So we-- agree? :confused:

DStecks posted:

But would not. Because no company is that terminally moronic to take somebody on for music use in private videos. The fearmongering that gets thrown around when it comes to YouTube is just ludicrous.

Like I said, my primary reason for not counter-claiming (or whatever) would be, in order of likleyhood:
- retribution from Google, in the form of harm against my YouTube account
- retribution from the cartel in the form of legal action against the dance studio, which is someone else's business and liveleyhood
- retribution from Google, in the form of harm against my ancillary accounts (mail, calendar, etc)
- retribution from the cartel in the form of legal action against myself

I'm not under any delusion that I'll personally be sued. Though I also can't give it a zero probability. I would be a right poo poo to drag the owner of a small business into court. Because no matter how fair and licensed music is that you use, there's always a way for the license cartels to make your life poo poo. Go ask anyone who owns a bar. Or a restaurant.

Tracula posted:

No offense but just because it doesn't effect you doesn't mean other people don't get nailed over moronic poo poo.

Yup. And once you get nailed once (or even 0 times), you can almost kiss you revenue goodbye from ads on YouTube. I'll even go out on a limb here and predict that within 30 days of Blip shutting down (and forcing everyone over onto YouTube), the horror stories from CA and CA-adjacent creators will skyrocket.

If anyone has some VC money laying around, and wants to start a video hosting site with the mission statement of "Fair use is fair use, and gently caress you ContentID", you may have a good chance of carving out a niche market...

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

lornekates posted:

If anyone has some VC money laying around, and wants to start a video hosting site with the mission statement of "Fair use is fair use, and gently caress you ContentID", you may have a good chance of carving out a niche market...

It would be sued out of business before it made a profit.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Not to mention that video hosting is costly from what I've heard.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm just gonna stop now because you've clearly already made up your mind.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

DStecks posted:

I'm just gonna stop now because you've clearly already made up your mind.

Good thing you posted that or we might think you'd decided to be a reasonable person and just let the matter drop.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

lornekates posted:

Yup. And once you get nailed once (or even 0 times), you can almost kiss you revenue goodbye from ads on YouTube. I'll even go out on a limb here and predict that within 30 days of Blip shutting down (and forcing everyone over onto YouTube), the horror stories from CA and CA-adjacent creators will skyrocket.

A lot of them are already on Youtube, and seem to be doing OK. Anime Abandon, MMO Grinder, Linkara. There are a few that have had problems, but they're trying to make it work. I think the only one who is gonna be completely and utterly screwed is SF Debris. He tried Youtube years ago and it didn't work. Probably because his videos are literally clips from movies/TV shows with voiceover, nothing else.

As for me, about 1/4th of my videos get content ID matched, and always by the same studio. They just put their own ads on them though. I disputed a few of them, just for shits and giggles, since I really didn't care, and they all got rejected. Last week, there was something new though. A video that had been up for a year, and had been content ID matched from the start, all of a sudden got blocked worldwide. So I disputed, and after two days the dispute got rejected, but get this, they lifted the block and it's viewable again. At times, it seems like freaking chaos theory in effect.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

lornekates posted:

So we-- agree? :confused:

The big thing is realising that there's almost no chance of any of this going to court, because there isn't a 100% chance that the rights holder will win, and there's almost no chance that they'll get the same deal Google gives them now. Right now if you content id a video you get all the ad revenue, the ability to turn on ads if there aren't any, and the ability to restrict access to the video based on device or location. If a judge comes out and says "you get half of the ad revenue on DStecks video", or only awards you the percentage of revenue based on how much of the video your content appears in, content id becomes untenable as a revenue generator (and tbh, I think most people would be OK with content id if it didn't effect the whole video).

Content id as it stands just gives all the rights to the claimant, and none to the user uploading videos, and there's no way they'll jeopardise that over am expensive lawsuit.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, car commercial is right. :stare: This sounds like one of those ads featuring a dead celebrity.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

The newest Animorphs review is up, we're kicking off the final story arc with #45 The Revelation.

Also, a new Breaking Spines, this one of "Current Affairs" by Barbara Raskin, which is equally about the Iran-Contra affair and a woman's scrapbook.

And since I'm here, going to repost my link to my Silent Hill video, kind of got buried last time.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

My favorite non-analysis part was Aufidius telling Coriolanus his defection excited him more than screwing his wife for the first time while soft mood music played in the background.

Favorite part of the analysis would have to be the look into how different people read Coriolanus. It really shows the complexity of the characters in this play, especially Coriolanus himself.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I reviewed Sinbad: The Battle of the Dark Knights, a film that lost it's leads halfway through and got frankensteined together. Starring Dean Stockwell as a crazy old witch!
http://phelous.com/2015/07/20/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-sinbad-the-battle-of-the-dark-knights/

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Looks like a lot of you tubers and other online folks are in Hamilton, ON this weekend. Better get my mouthbreathing skills up to par!! :P

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

See ya there, bud. ;)

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Miss Wallace posted:

See ya there, bud. ;)

:o:

Honestly I really only wanna go meet the Continue? guys. I don't watch internet reviewers as much as others so it would be even more awkward to meet folks.

Last time I was at ConBravo I briefly talked to Spoony and uuugghhhh...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did he smell like he hadn't showered since 2008?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Well his hair was definitely much too long and he was slightly unshaven, but otherwise he didn't smell or anything.

The BO wafting throughout the halls of the holiday inn were courtesy of the attendees :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

ZeeBoi posted:

Honestly I really only wanna go meet the Continue? guys. I don't watch internet reviewers as much as others so it would be even more awkward to meet folks.

hahaha, it's all good. It's my first time going to ConBravo so I think it'll be fun.

• Locked thread