Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

There's a keybind for that. It's a little finicky on placement but way better than handling one block at a time.

The autotargeter? That's not quite the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
when you think about it they've shown about as much gameplay as starb ound has at this point hehe :smuggo:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If all that ever becomes is a procedurally generated Google Earth Flight Simulator then it would be a better game than Starbound

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Thanks for this derail, I have No Man's Sky on google alerts and still failed to find any good new videos.

I guess we won't really have enough for a separate thread on that game until it actually comes out and we can share coordinates or whatever, and even then it seems more like a game to occasionally pop in and chill out with rather than constantly play it until you have a billion spacebux. I'd still totally play it though.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

CrashCat posted:

Thanks for this derail, I have No Man's Sky on google alerts and still failed to find any good new videos.

I guess we won't really have enough for a separate thread on that game until it actually comes out and we can share coordinates or whatever, and even then it seems more like a game to occasionally pop in and chill out with rather than constantly play it until you have a billion spacebux. I'd still totally play it though.

There is a void in my soul that must be filled with space loot/billions of funbux

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but has anyone played Interstellaria? It looks to me like Chucklefish is giving up on Starbound and just publishing someone else's take on the same kind of game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mayostard posted:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but has anyone played Interstellaria? It looks to me like Chucklefish is giving up on Starbound and just publishing someone else's take on the same kind of game.
Oh, is that what happened? I have been out of the loop but it seems plausible since this wasn't the darling everyone hoped.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

CrashCat posted:

Oh, is that what happened? I have been out of the loop but it seems plausible since this wasn't the darling everyone hoped.

Looking at the game more closely, it's not as Terraria-like.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Yeah from what I've seen of Interstellaria it's more inspired by FTL

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Has anyone successfully copied the Terraria formula then? I remember looking at Craft The World but I didn't pull the trigger on that one.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's a good thing you didn't. Craft the World bungled it immensely by enforcing a very linear, nonsensical tech tree that gets reset each 'campaign' world, limiting your mana resource that refills ridiculously slowly (or refilled upon 'level up' that is only effective in the early parts of the game where you don't *need* to spend mana), and making the end bosses stupid bags of health and damage that your dwarf AI can't handle well.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I remember when Terraria was first (forced into being) released, everyone kept calling it the 2D Minecraft Clone

Now I wish Minecraft was even a tenth of the game Terraria is.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I wish Starbound was even a tenth of the game Minecraft is.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can't believe this went up over 10 days ago and I haven't seen it. It's pretty neat! But still hardly a good indication of moment to moment gameplay, just a lot more flying around and "let me tell you a thing we might do while looking at things in the distance".
Also they once again spent a huge amount of the video just scrolling through the starfield. I could do that in Starbound. It's not impressive. :psyduck:

e: also did you guys notice in Terraria money is always good to find and stays relevant for basically the entire game while in Starbound pixels are a loving joke

Mayostard posted:

I know this is highly subjective but I can't stand that game's art style, let alone its awful UI.
Indie games often go "retro" on visuals for various reasons but "retro" UI is such a terrible idea because UI is one of the things games took forever to get right and those huge bulky obnoxious UIs from the early 90s are not something we ever need to go back to.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah Interstellaria looks pretty bad, visually.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Huh, Interstellaria is out? I threw some money at that on a whim.

I'll give starbound this, I got a key for backing it on time and didn't find out it was released secondhand :downs:

EDIT: At least it took about 3 minutes for them to pop up and say "That's gonna be sorted after we put put out the new build, sorry about that!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 18, 2015

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I was watching Interstellaria for a long time. Still not sure though if i should give my money if those fine folks at starbound can't get a good project together.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Well to be fair, if it's anything like the rest of their stable of games, they're only publishing it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The autotargeter? That's not quite the same thing.

With the right gear you can flood fill a huge area really fast with it.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

All they needed to do was make space Terraria with random quests. Didn't even have to be good.

Hell, they even lucked into a tolerable game for a while, but goddamn did they prove it was only luck.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chucklefish is an amazing publisher.

Designer? Not so much.

Interstellaria is a goon-made-game btw.

I forget which goon though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria was successful because it does a lot yet doesn't overdo poo poo and the overall aesthetics are at least okay. the gameplay/progression won't be everyone's thing but it's a thing for enough people to where it's loved to whatever extent. the combat is relatively simplistic and they used that as a springboard to come up with a wide variety of ultimately unique and fun to use poo poo so you can kinda 'customize' your character worth half a poo poo instead of trying to rely on an incredibly halfbaked random generator to give the illusion of variety. it's not perfect, but there's some very distinct reasons why it's been so successful. timing might have been part of it, who knows.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Does Chucklefish have anything to do with developing Interstellaria? They're pimping it a lot on their forums and twitters. Looks like a cute little game and the price is right but I'm not buying another Starbound.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

terraria was successful because it does a lot yet doesn't overdo poo poo and the overall aesthetics are at least okay. the gameplay/progression won't be everyone's thing but it's a thing for enough people to where it's loved to whatever extent. the combat is relatively simplistic and they used that as a springboard to come up with a wide variety of ultimately unique and fun to use poo poo so you can kinda 'customize' your character worth half a poo poo instead of trying to rely on an incredibly halfbaked random generator to give the illusion of variety. it's not perfect, but there's some very distinct reasons why it's been so successful. timing might have been part of it, who knows.

lmao look at all these words but you didn't say anything. "terraria does a lot, but doesn't do too much" "it looks okay" "some people don't like ho the game plays and progresses, but some people do" "characters start the same, but later, they're different"

but for real I think that timing may have been a big factor for terraria's success and following updates, which is kind of strange to think about since the timing was not really their own at all. If I recall, the game got leaked, which forced the devs to release the game earlier than intended so that they weren't hurt in the long run.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CrashCat posted:

Has anyone successfully copied the Terraria formula then? I remember looking at Craft The World but I didn't pull the trigger on that one.

pro av

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao look at all these words but you didn't say anything. "terraria does a lot, but doesn't do too much" "it looks okay" "some people don't like ho the game plays and progresses, but some people do" "characters start the same, but later, they're different"

but for real I think that timing may have been a big factor for terraria's success and following updates, which is kind of strange to think about since the timing was not really their own at all. If I recall, the game got leaked, which forced the devs to release the game earlier than intended so that they weren't hurt in the long run.

timing is also something that has not been in starbounds favour heh

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Berious posted:

Does Chucklefish have anything to do with developing Interstellaria? They're pimping it a lot on their forums and twitters. Looks like a cute little game and the price is right but I'm not buying another Starbound.

how does this come up every single time chucklefish publishes a loving game, they're publishing

they're barely making their own game, they're certainly not making other people's games for them

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

I think it would've been less embarrassing for Chucklefish if they had just taken the money and ran at this point.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Terraria's expert mode is kicking my rear end, but I'm having a lot of fun getting my rear end kicked by all the different types of enemies and eventually overcoming them. That is something I would never say about a game where there's like 2 different enemies that show up over and over again wearing different clown costumes each time

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
like, you go to the jungle and it's got these hornets and maneater plants and things. stuff inflicts poison, which at that point you've never seen before. slimes and aerial enemies with projectiles is new at that point. the way the maneaters work as stationary creatures with long stretching necks that pass through terrain makes your positioning/approach really matter. this is how you make enemies feel interesting from one place to the next

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've been paying attention to this thread and it motivated me to see what all the fuss is about and I made this video of me playing starbound in the vein of a traditional let's play. I would genuinely appreciate feedback because I've not really done one of these.

You can see it here!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1JTorGSpzQ

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 20, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Berious posted:

Published it, but Interstellaria's a mostly finished state (it's a proper release, not early access.)

It's also...kind of its own beast despite similar graphic styles. It's far, far more about your ship/fleet and crew management.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've only played a little bit of Interstellaria so far but I like it's style, I wonder if I'm reading things wrong or correct in the implication you can run multiple ships at once? There is a pause button but I expect mid combat repairs to be pretty hectic considering you have to pilot your ship to evade enemy fire while also managing the other stuff.

So far my main wishlist item is making it easier to select specific people in a grouped up bunch, or quick select people on the far side of the map blending in with the background (sky blue robot, meet sky blue sky). But it does have a fast forward button handy for "I've killed everything in this area, time to loot stuff!" The auto-loot also ignores items that explode, so people will only kill themselves like idiots on "gather resourses" mode if there are still enemies alive in their path.

Shame the latest patch for bugs that never hit me, gave me bugs instead :downs:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kly posted:

I wish Starbound was even a tenth of the game Minecraft is.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I'm not sure how much interest there is in the game anymore among the goon populous, considering the last few pages of this thread, but my older brother (another goon) and I are considering opening a server on his stupidly high-tech computer (he's a sysadmin, so I trust him to do his best to keep the server running). We don't have all the details hammered out yet, but I thought a preliminary interest check would be a good idea.

Wanna come play a lovely game with us? :kimchi:

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 21, 2015

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Freakbox posted:

I'm not sure how much interest there is in the game anymore among the goon populous......Wanna come play a lovely game with us? :kimchi:

I've never played multiplayer starbound but I might be interested

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Freakbox posted:

I'm not sure how much interest there is in the game anymore among the goon populous, considering the last few pages of this thread, but my older brother (another goon) and I are considering opening a server on his stupidly high-tech computer (he's a sysadmin, so I trust him to do his best to keep the server running). We don't have all the details hammered out yet, but I thought a preliminary interest check would be a good idea.

Wanna come play a lovely game with us? :kimchi:

Yeah, sure. I'm hoping by "play" you mean "play music" because that is 90% of what I'll be doing, like every time I play Starbound.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

It's a creative mode server, so general rules are: progress with or without god mods or god modes (i prefer progressing on my own) and don't be a dickboat. There are some mods we have; let me gather them up and make a dropbox link. :3:

((Frackin' universe is awesome: we have hella science and stuff and whole new biomes and music. Using the science equipment also negates the need for most of the stupid lovely main quests!))

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Bob Locke posted:

Yeah, sure. I'm hoping by "play" you mean "play music" because that is 90% of what I'll be doing, like every time I play Starbound.

Wow you sure got 'em shots fired good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Alright Y'all- this is a link to a folder with the mods the server uses: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ulh4nmsiszckadj/AAAt0bm1nubTS6n5V3MiICJda?dl=0

((this bitch wouldn't fit in dropbox for some reason: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/creative-mode-complete-control-over-your-experience.614/))

Mods go in steam/steampps/common/starbound/giraffe_storage/mods, if you've managed to never use mods before.

There are two different nightly backups, so it should be safe to build, and to play music. :refurb:

ps- I've never used dropbox before- i'm fairly sure that folder can be downloaded; tell me if it can't be.

To LOGIN: enter fenestris.com in the top box after selecting multiplayer. There is no account name or password required.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 21, 2015

• Locked thread