Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Incomplete Fish posted:

NoMachine is a good cross platform remote desktop.

Unless you have a premade automated install created for Windows, you probably have to borrow a monitor.
NoMachine is good but if you're logging into a Windows machine don't forget there's a Remote Desktop app for the Mac as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
The MS RDP works really well. The only (minor) thing is the clipboard between the session and the host can't do anything complicated. Text works fine, but sometimes Excel data or other oddball data just gets formatted strangely.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I got a laptop with the german keyboard layout which is currently driving me a little crazy as up until now I've used the US layout. I'm waiting for us to hire someone so we can order their laptop online to get UK (I had to get mine asap so we went to the store) layout.

In the meantime, how the hell do I fix these retarded keys? I had to use BetterTouchTool so I could remap a key to give me ~. My biggest peeve at the moment is whenever I hit certain keys it turns yellow for a moment so i can hit another letter, I guess this is to type special characters but it's making coding incredibly difficult since I keep entering ä instead of "a. Anyone know how to turn this off?

One other thing is Parellels keeps switching the layout back to german.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Ashex posted:

I got a laptop with the german keyboard layout which is currently driving me a little crazy as up until now I've used the US layout. I'm waiting for us to hire someone so we can order their laptop online to get UK (I had to get mine asap so we went to the store) layout.

In the meantime, how the hell do I fix these retarded keys? I had to use BetterTouchTool so I could remap a key to give me ~. My biggest peeve at the moment is whenever I hit certain keys it turns yellow for a moment so i can hit another letter, I guess this is to type special characters but it's making coding incredibly difficult since I keep entering ä instead of "a. Anyone know how to turn this off?

One other thing is Parellels keeps switching the layout back to german.

Does switching to the US keymap not help? Is the physical layout/number of keys that different?

As for the ~ turning yellow, in the US keymap that's opt+n (for a deadkey), and as far as I know all the keymaps have special characters mapped to opt+[any key]. I don't think there's a way to turn that off short of creating your own keymap using something like Ukelele, which hasn't been updated in a while, but probably works on 10.10.

As for the parallels thing, you can check if System Preferences: Keyboard>Input Sources has the checkbox for "Automatically switch to a document's input source" checked. I haven't used it for a while, but I think it remembers what the last input source used was in any program that accepts text (or just the language a document was written in), and switches accordingly. Regardless, unchecking that will leave your input in whatever keymap you have active.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Does switching to the US keymap not help? Is the physical layout/number of keys that different?

Switching to the US layout will make things even more confusing, since the UK keyboard is at least physically the same as the German one. It just maps a bunch of common characters differently. Trying to write an e-mail address on an unfamiliar keyboard makes one realize how much muscle memory is responsible for day to day efficiency and productivity. Where the gently caress is a @ symbol on the gaddam keyboard?!! W@#@%%^ (it's why I want to control another keyboard with the input format of the MBP I have been using for the last two 6 years rather than switching back to a desktop and mouse solution. It's little change that actually cause more slow downs than the big ones.)

(I think these links will work)

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MC184B/B/apple-wireless-keyboard-british

http://www.apple.com/de/shop/product/MC184D/B/apple-wireless-keyboard-deutsch

Go here use the pull down to find just how much keyboards vary from country to country:
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC184D/B/

and in one page:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201794

Also, what's with the elongated key for the number one on the Japanese keyboard, and why is there no Chinese keyboard? Are there really more Belgians than Chinese living in the US?

pupdive fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 18, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else use a Dropcam/Nestcam? And access/view your camera through Safari?

It amazes me how my retina iMac (near GPU) goes from 66C to 94C in a matter of seconds. Take it off the screen and it goes back down.

It's just numbers so maybe it's no big deal if its not harmful, but that is pretty crazy to me.

[edit] Just as a base reference. I barely broke 72C watching 10 minutes of a Youtube video.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 18, 2015

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

pupdive posted:

Switching to the US layout will make things even more confusing, since the UK keyboard is at least physically the same as the German one. It just maps a bunch of common characters differently. Trying to write an e-mail address on an unfamiliar keyboard makes one realize how much muscle memory is responsible for day to day efficiency and productivity. Where the gently caress is a @ symbol on the gaddam keyboard?!! W@#@%%^ (it's why I want to control another keyboard with the input format of the MBP I have been using for the last two 6 years rather than switching back to a desktop and mouse solution. It's little change that actually cause more slow downs than the big ones.)

(I think these links will work)

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MC184B/B/apple-wireless-keyboard-british

http://www.apple.com/de/shop/product/MC184D/B/apple-wireless-keyboard-deutsch

Go here use the pull down to find just how much keyboards vary from country to country:
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC184D/B/

and in one page:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201794

Also, what's with the elongated key for the number one on the Japanese keyboard, and why is there no Chinese keyboard? Are there really more Belgians than Chinese living in the US?

Oh, I glossed over the UK bit, but I see how the US map wouldn't work.

Since you're fine with sacrificing a key, I checked and Ukelele does work in 10.10. From that, you can create a new keyboard layout based on the one you're using, and just replace a key to be ~. It seems to automatically detect the physical keyboard layout, although I'm not sure, since I just have US keyboards. It should be pretty quick, and then you'd just have to switch to your new layout when you're coding.

Apparently whatever you did in BTT is the equivalent of opt+n, for ˜, rather than ~; at least on my end, those are two different characters, with the first being the deadkey tilde for, e.g. ñ.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So I'm a pretty basic user but I hate the messed up way my Mac is handling dependencies and all the hidden stuff that gets installed when I get something like, say, Photoshop.

Is Homebrew for me? I'm comfortable running stuff through a CLI but it sounds like Homebrew is just for programmers and people worrying about all sorts of programming stuff. Would it be ideal for installing, say, Steam to my laptop and then uninstalling it and everything it did to my computer later?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Software needs to be designed and packaged to be used with a package manager, and that mostly means programming tools or system utilities. Everything you mentioned in your post is up to the application developer; Adobe loves to spew files all over /Applications and /Applications/Utilities, and there's not much you or anyone else can do to change that behavior unless Adobe lets you.

If you want to clean up after a program once you've uninstalled it, you can looking for an app uninstaller (I've heard AppCleaner and AppZapper namedropped before) that scans for related files and tries to do a best guess as to what should be removed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

Software needs to be designed and packaged to be used with a package manager, and that mostly means programming tools or system utilities. Everything you mentioned in your post is up to the application developer; Adobe loves to spew files all over /Applications and /Applications/Utilities, and there's not much you or anyone else can do to change that behavior unless Adobe lets you.

If you want to clean up after a program once you've uninstalled it, you can looking for an app uninstaller (I've heard AppCleaner and AppZapper namedropped before) that scans for related files and tries to do a best guess as to what should be removed.

Perfect, that's what I was wondering about. I thought it would work kind of like installing Firefox in Ubuntu, but I guess not. No big deal, I guess.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

You can also get a nice disk space visualization tool like Daisy Disk and occasionally sweep out areas you suspect are getting clogged up with unneeded files.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Depending on the purpose and needs you could also consider installing into a vm. On my mac and my windows box I keep a vm that I use just for installing weird poo poo that I'm not sure I'll ever use again or whatever but don't want cluttering up my "main" poo poo.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

FWIW homebrew also has GUI app binaries with cask, although that's obviously all (?) free software.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Is there a way to disable hot corners for fullscreen applications only? Google tells me to either disable hot corners completely or add a keyboard modifier (!), but neither option seems like a particularly good solution for me.

Edit:
I found a decent solution that uses Apple Script compiled as an .app. It's a manual toggle that disables or enables the hot corners, but it's better than constantly having to reassign the corners by hand.

natlampe fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 19, 2015

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Just mistyped something in Terminal on El Cap and a whole bunch of access denied text flew past shortly before every app file deleted itself and the whole system started to gradually implode, freeze up then turn off and refuse to boot :v:

5 hour restore from Time Machine the night before I start a new job has taught me don't gently caress around with OS Betas on your workhorse machine :downs:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bluetooth audio / video sync is finally fixed on 10.10.4 :unsmith:

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
The HDD on my relatives MacBook Pro is dying and I'm going to replace it with an SSD. Since I'm going to have to reinstall the operating system I've considered going with OS X Yosemite. I've heard negative things about OS X Yosemite though, more specifically it having Wi-Fi connection issues. Is this still the case?

The MacBook Pro's product specification for its Wi-Fi is this:
802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Titor posted:

The HDD on my relatives MacBook Pro is dying and I'm going to replace it with an SSD. Since I'm going to have to reinstall the operating system I've considered going with OS X Yosemite. I've heard negative things about OS X Yosemite though, more specifically it having Wi-Fi connection issues. Is this still the case?

The MacBook Pro's product specification for its Wi-Fi is this:
802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

WiFi issues on MacBooks is a pretty much constant thing, but with different causes and different machines affected every time. Yosemite was a bit special in that it made it almost universal by replacing the old mDNSresponder daemon with a completely new one — the much-maligned discoveryd. With the recent version .4, they finally ditched discoveryd and went back to the old mDNSresponder, which solved most of the new issues for most people.

That still means that you might have any one of the good old WiFi issues, though, but at that point it's the luck of the draw and won't be any different from any of the other OSX releases. Since it's a .11n machine, at least the odds are in favour of it being old enough to have those kinds of issues fixed by now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Good thing to try if you're having wifi woes on Yosemite: go into network settings and delete EVERYTHING on the Connections menu. Wifi, Thunderbolt, Bluetooth PAN. Get rid of em all. Then re-add wifi. I've used this on two different model MBPs (one retina,one disc drive) and its solved issues for both.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

NeuralSpark posted:

They probably changed the template format for Server.app's zone files, and the update / migrate process broke your configs. Anything in Console from bind?

Nothing from bind. The overall "Access" settings got more complicated, so I partially fixed the issue by letting any client on the network connect to the server. The problem now seems to be that DNS dies sometime overnight. The only potentially relevant bits I see are:

code:
Jul 18 00:30:06 home newsyslog[451]: logfile turned over
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 reloading configuration succeeded
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/AAAA/IN': 192.33.14.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/AAAA/IN': 192.33.14.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/A/IN': 192.33.14.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/A/IN': 192.33.14.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/AAAA/IN': 192.26.92.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.773 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.com/AAAA/IN': 192.26.92.30#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.774 reloading zones succeeded
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.774 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.net/A/IN': 192.228.79.201#53
18-Jul-2015 00:34:04.774 error (network unreachable) resolving 'example.net/AAAA/IN': 193.108.88.128#53
I thought that was potentially interesting because maybe DNS is doing something overnight that screws itself up. It works locally, but not for any connected machines. All I have to do is toggle the DNS switch in Server.app to fix things.

I also search the system log for DNS and all I could find was:

code:
Jul 18 00:34:04 networkname.com configd[56]: network changed: v4(en0-:192.168.1.2) DNS- Proxy- SMB-
Jul 18 00:34:10 networkname.com configd[56]: network changed: v4(en0+:192.168.1.2) DNS+ Proxy+ SMB+
Jul 18 04:34:32 networkname.com mDNSResponder[95]: AwdlD2d AwdlD2dStartBrowsingForKey: 'c6b947efff0e424100000000000008efip6arpa' Browsing service started
Jul 18 04:34:33 networkname.com mDNSResponder[95]: AwdlD2d AwdlD2dStopBrowsingForKey: 'c6b947efff0e424100000000000008efip6arpa' Browsing service stopped
I have no idea if that's relevant or not.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Is there anyway to disable notifications for a specific mailbox in the mail app?

Essentially, I keep getting spammed nonsense notifications from work, which I prefer to not see but I want to see my personal mailboxes.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Creepy Goat posted:

Just mistyped something in Terminal on El Cap and a whole bunch of access denied text flew past shortly before every app file deleted itself and the whole system started to gradually implode, freeze up then turn off and refuse to boot :v:

5 hour restore from Time Machine the night before I start a new job has taught me don't gently caress around with OS Betas on your workhorse machine :downs:

I'm guessing you typed something like rm -rf / and doing that is going to gently caress you over no matter what you're doing in terms of betas.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Zenostein posted:

As for the ~ turning yellow, in the US keymap that's opt+n (for a deadkey), and as far as I know all the keymaps have special characters mapped to opt+[any key]. I don't think there's a way to turn that off short of creating your own keymap using something like Ukelele, which hasn't been updated in a while, but probably works on 10.10.

As for the parallels thing, you can check if System Preferences: Keyboard>Input Sources has the checkbox for "Automatically switch to a document's input source" checked. I haven't used it for a while, but I think it remembers what the last input source used was in any program that accepts text (or just the language a document was written in), and switches accordingly. Regardless, unchecking that will leave your input in whatever keymap you have active.

It's not just ~ turning yellow but a variety of key combos and I can't figure out the trigger. I never had this happen with my US MBP so I'm a little baffled. I'll try out Ukelele when I've got a little time, it definitely looks like I'll need to setup a custom keymap to get everything where I want it since tilda is down next to Z with the US keymap instead of up by 1 (get § instead).

As for parallels, that option was never checked and it's still doing its annoying switcharoo whenever I pop in/out of it. I did a little digging and found this post that indicates the fix is modifying config.pvs and changing a sync parameter. I'll try that out and hopefully it'll work.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Ashex posted:

It's not just ~ turning yellow but a variety of key combos and I can't figure out the trigger. I never had this happen with my US MBP so I'm a little baffled. I'll try out Ukelele when I've got a little time, it definitely looks like I'll need to setup a custom keymap to get everything where I want it since tilda is down next to Z with the US keymap instead of up by 1 (get § instead).

As for parallels, that option was never checked and it's still doing its annoying switcharoo whenever I pop in/out of it. I did a little digging and found this post that indicates the fix is modifying config.pvs and changing a sync parameter. I'll try that out and hopefully it'll work.

You are going from a US to a German keyboard?

Even with a switch to an English (UK) version you are going to be driving yourself batty on the little differences.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Tippis posted:

WiFi issues on MacBooks is a pretty much constant thing, but with different causes and different machines affected every time. Yosemite was a bit special in that it made it almost universal by replacing the old mDNSresponder daemon with a completely new one — the much-maligned discoveryd. With the recent version .4, they finally ditched discoveryd and went back to the old mDNSresponder, which solved most of the new issues for most people.

That still means that you might have any one of the good old WiFi issues, though, but at that point it's the luck of the draw and won't be any different from any of the other OSX releases. Since it's a .11n machine, at least the odds are in favour of it being old enough to have those kinds of issues fixed by now.

10.10.4 did nothing for me on my Retina MacBook, despite my hopes. I've had issues since day 1 which feels like DNS lookups (even for things that should be cached) fail when the wifi connection's been active for more than about 5 minutes - every request times out except long-running tasks like streaming video. Switching networks or disabling/enabling wifi fixes it for another 5 minutes, and luckily my home router presents two networks so I can switch easily. Still a massive PITA though.

I installed the El Capitan beta on a second partition and that's completely resolved the issue, so I'm using that day-to-day rather than Yosemite now.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Good thing to try if you're having wifi woes on Yosemite: go into network settings and delete EVERYTHING on the Connections menu. Wifi, Thunderbolt, Bluetooth PAN. Get rid of em all. Then re-add wifi. I've used this on two different model MBPs (one retina,one disc drive) and its solved issues for both.

I'll give this a go too, thanks.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Weird question. Basically, I have a monitor that has somehow managed to get its EDID for the HDMI port hosed. On Windows, I can get it to detect the monitor and force it through drivers to 1080p; on my mac though I just get a black screen. Is there any way to force OS X to output to the monitor even if the EDID info is hosed?

I could just RMA it (plus the DVI port works) but I'd rather not be without a screen for a few weeks.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

robodex posted:

Weird question. Basically, I have a monitor that has somehow managed to get its EDID for the HDMI port hosed. On Windows, I can get it to detect the monitor and force it through drivers to 1080p; on my mac though I just get a black screen. Is there any way to force OS X to output to the monitor even if the EDID info is hosed?

I could just RMA it (plus the DVI port works) but I'd rather not be without a screen for a few weeks.

Maybe there's something in SwitchResX that can force it? Not free if it works but worth a look with the trial.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

crazysim posted:

Maybe there's something in SwitchResX that can force it? Not free if it works but worth a look with the trial.

Thanks, I'll check it out tonight. On Windows I was able to make a sort of "fake driver" for the screen that would give me the right resolutions, but I have the disadvantage on my mac of not being able to see anything if the screen is plugged in to HDMI :v:

Luckily I have remote desktop, since that seems to work even if there's no cable plugged into the mac.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
http://www.hammerspoon.org/ is good if you're a nerd and v active development. Well, bye.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

robodex posted:

Have you tried creating a custom EDID for it? As mentioned earlier, HDMI and OS X have a tendency not to get along even during normal operation, and sometimes you can hack something together manually to get around those issues.

A quick google for “os x custom edid hdmi” gives me links like this one, this, and this.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

pupdive posted:

You are going from a US to a German keyboard?

Even with a switch to an English (UK) version you are going to be driving yourself batty on the little differences.

I double checked and I can in fact order a MBP online with a US keyboard so I'm saved! Unfortunately the next hire will be in 2 months minimum :saddowns:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Did Apple get rid of these audio options?

(10.3?)

Or do they only show up when a compatible device is installed? I'm pretty sure that screenshot isn't a 3rd party pref panel but the Apple one.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
They should still be there in ~/Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Free copy of Civ V: http://www.macrumors.com/giveaway/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Depressing Box posted:

They should still be there in ~/Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app.

Aww neato. Thanks!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

I don't even know if my 2012 mini can run this, but I guess for free it doesn't matter.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It came out in 2010, so I'd assume the requirements aren't that high.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I can run it fine on a 2009 Mbp with discrete graphics and 8gb ram

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
After tiring of Chrome killing my battery life, I'm giving Safari a shot. Looking for two extensions that I haven't found an analog for. The first one is a Gmail checker, I was/am using Checker Plus in Chrome. I just need something to tell me when I get emails, etc. The second is for opening the same tabs each day, ie along the lines of Morning Coffee on Firefox or Daily Links on Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

calandryll posted:

After tiring of Chrome killing my battery life, I'm giving Safari a shot. Looking for two extensions that I haven't found an analog for. The first one is a Gmail checker, I was/am using Checker Plus in Chrome. I just need something to tell me when I get emails, etc. The second is for opening the same tabs each day, ie along the lines of Morning Coffee on Firefox or Daily Links on Chrome.

Apple features the Gmail checker half way down their own extensions page: https://extensions.apple.com/

As for the daily links thing, that's being added to the next version of Safari that's coming out with the next OSX update. I think that's supposed to drop early this fall?