Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

bef posted:

Melee later tonight I assume?

It's at 1 i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?

bef posted:

Melee later tonight I assume?

1pm PST.

Did anyone else catch that Salty Suite? It wasn't the best, but GimR's "it's not my fault this sucks" rant at the end really killed any hype. Maybe I'm just mad I lost 100$ on Leffen v Mango.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trent posted:

Sorry, you're right. I forgot how seriously I should take the smash brothers game and thread. Excuse me while I delete all my custom characters and throw away everything but melee and TWO controllers

You are the worst

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ty whale and racoon. My favorite of animals

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lucky Raccoon posted:

1pm PST.

Did anyone else catch that Salty Suite? It wasn't the best, but GimR's "it's not my fault this sucks" rant at the end really killed any hype. Maybe I'm just mad I lost 100$ on Leffen v Mango.

I take it leffen won..

E: Vvvv oh gently caress yeah! :D

bef fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 19, 2015

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

bef posted:

I take it leffen won..

Mango kind of went nuts and took it down after starting out 0-2.

Bizz vs. Kage was very disappointing :(.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Tonetta posted:

they "fixed" it but it still does exactly this and it is the opposite of hilarious when you get people at kill percent and they fall through it

and by fixed I mean they lowered the kill % by about 15-20 on all characters and now they only fall through 70% of the time instead of 95% of the time
It was bad enough before the buffs to literally never be worth using, but there are instances where it can blast motherfuckers good now. It's still not very good because of how narrow those instances are, but at least they exist.

All of Samus's smash moves are bizarrely poo poo, though.

Her forward smash is laggy, loves to whiff, and has a tiny sweetspot that is significantly smaller than its graphic . You'd think that with how much precision it takes to land it, the sweet spot would knock really hard like a Marth tipper, but it doesn't. Landed perfectly, it hits about as hard as any quick character side smash that doesn't have to deal with sweetspot nonsense. Then if its not sweetspotted, it does horrible knockback.

Her down smash is respectably quick, but does poo poo damage and is effectively incapable of killing. They gotta be nearing 200% for it to take them out.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ppmd vs armada gonna be epic. I want ppmd to win the EvO

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Plup puleeeze knock out leffen

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Jesus, this top 8.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

bef posted:

Plup puleeeze knock out leffen

That was so awesome.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I missed it...airports

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ppmd Falco best thing about melee ;)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Whatev posted:

It was bad enough before the buffs to literally never be worth using, but there are instances where it can blast motherfuckers good now. It's still not very good because of how narrow those instances are, but at least they exist.

Her forward smash is laggy, loves to whiff, and has a tiny sweetspot that is significantly smaller than its graphic . You'd think that with how much precision it takes to land it, the sweet spot would knock really hard like a Marth tipper, but it doesn't. Landed perfectly, it hits about as hard as any quick character side smash that doesn't have to deal with sweetspot nonsense. Then if its not sweetspotted, it does horrible knockback.

Her down smash is respectably quick, but does poo poo damage and is effectively incapable of killing. They gotta be nearing 200% for it to take them out.

Making her smashes have really good attributes but poor knockback would be a neat gimmick a la Snake's smashes.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good evo. Glad armada won, dudes been on the grind hardcore since forever

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Sooo, I just had Roy's up smash beat Greninja's Substitute. As in, the first hit set off the counter, and Greninja got hit anyway. It might just have been the angle, but I laughed pretty hard.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Whatev posted:

Samus' forward smash is actually fairly powerful (can kill as early as 75% if sweet spotted near the ledge) and comes out quick (frame 10). Down Smash, while it doesn't kill on its' own and isn't actually very fast, covers rolls fairly well and puts your opponent into a ledge guarding situation. Even if upsmash did stick it would still be an awful option over short hop any aerial because you won't be stuck in place for over a second if you miss and honestly any arial can kill at the same percent as upsmash anyways if they're near a ledge.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Kantesu posted:

Sooo, I just had Roy's up smash beat Greninja's Substitute. As in, the first hit set off the counter, and Greninja got hit anyway. It might just have been the angle, but I laughed pretty hard.

No greninja's counter is complete rear end, that kind of thing happens all the time

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Tonetta posted:

I fixed up smash, by not using it

Screw attack is a much better finishing move anyway

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

How Rude posted:

Screw attack is a much better finishing move anyway

:agreed:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kantesu posted:

multihit moves tend to do that to counters, and roy's up smash is really good at it in my experience

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gonna sound kinda dumb because well... I am, but are there any situations that Smash 4 would only run at 30FPS? I'm using HDMI cables and all that and it looks fine but whenever I see a stream or youtube video running at 60 it looks so goddamn smooth to the point it's super jarring to me. I can't tell if I'm just not noticing it when I play or if somethings going on and it's bothering me a lot.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gonna sound kinda dumb because well... I am, but are there any situations that Smash 4 would only run at 30FPS? I'm using HDMI cables and all that and it looks fine but whenever I see a stream or youtube video running at 60 it looks so goddamn smooth to the point it's super jarring to me. I can't tell if I'm just not noticing it when I play or if somethings going on and it's bothering me a lot.

You need a Wii U Expansion Pak

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You may have a crappy TV. Make sure game mode is on if your TV has that and see if it helps.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You might just be so "in the zone" while playing that the smoothness of 60fps doesn't consciously register to you. Sometimes that's how it is for me. Try saving a replay ingame and playing it back. Otherwise it might be your TV or your TV's settings.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Are you sure it's Smash 4 not Smash 64? They're actually different games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Aston posted:

I was wondering why everything looked blocky and I could no longer select Dedede

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Aston posted:

SSB64 actually runs at 60fps.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

DoctorWhat posted:

SSB64 actually runs at 60fps.

It was supposed to be 64 but then all those kids in japan died from the excessive frames, the old man who I bought this Japanese 64 cart from (at a garage sale) told me that was how his son died, but I decided to keep playing because I remembered playing smash 64 as a kid and I was very nostalgic, everything was normal at first but then things got a little weird...

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Every smash attack caused the characters to bleed ultra realistic blood, their sound effects became screams of agony...

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
The announcer's voice became dark and twisted, hearing the way he would say 'Pikachu' and chuckle wickedly still gives me nightmares...

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

And then a Stalfos popped out.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

You guys crack me up.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

mabels big day posted:

You guys crack me up.

This.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bef posted:

Ppmd Falco best thing about melee ;)

i like his marth

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what was the general reaction to customs enabled smash 4 at Evo? I didnt watch it so i have no idea if it actually shook up the meta at all or if it was worse somehow

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Honestly i forgot they were on... but I also wasn't paying very much attention as i do not find smash 4 to be as interesting to watch

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
From what I've seen, the reaction was largely negative. Sonic is even more untouchable; Rosalina never has to approach, even when she's losing; Villager. Customs can make bad characters better, but they also make good characters too overbearing.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Countblanc posted:

what was the general reaction to customs enabled smash 4 at Evo? I didnt watch it so i have no idea if it actually shook up the meta at all or if it was worse somehow

It definitely ranged from either "didn't matter" to "negative". I liked esam's custom Pikachu set ups and the couple times abandango used the fast bike on Wario, though. if there were by some miracle a Charizard or Ganondorf in top 8, hoo boy, then we would have seen the real Power of Customs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I liked the customs. We saw a much broader range of characters because of it, making Smash 4 so much fun to watch. The only good thing about melee was when Samus came out.

• Locked thread