Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My podcast just posted out Tips for Gen Con episode here!

Edit: I should mention the episode features fellow goon Bucnasti!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Reminding people because this thread has a lot more traffic since last time I posted. If you come to the Japanime Games booth I will give you cool stuff as long as you identify as a goon. My name is Robert and I will be wearing an actual Japanime collared/bowling style shirt rather than a black Japanime T-Shirt. Just let me know you are a goon. These are the games we carry (https://www.japanimegames.com), if any of them are even passingly interesting to you come on by.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Will you give me a Tanto Cuore playmat? :v:

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
No, but I will give you some promos for Tanto if you are into that sort of thing.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm coming for a Krosmaster promo :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

rjderouin posted:

Reminding people because this thread has a lot more traffic since last time I posted. If you come to the Japanime Games booth I will give you cool stuff as long as you identify as a goon. My name is Robert and I will be wearing an actual Japanime collared/bowling style shirt rather than a black Japanime T-Shirt. Just let me know you are a goon. These are the games we carry (https://www.japanimegames.com), if any of them are even passingly interesting to you come on by.

repost this gencon weekend or I'll forget. i'll stop by and talk to you about weiss schwarz and then be confused when you dont play it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

rjderouin posted:

No, but I will give you some promos for Tanto if you are into that sort of thing.

Haha, no way this would ever enter my home if I want to stay married

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rjderouin posted:

What's the Kromaster promo? I have a friend who loves Wakfu and I told her about this but she wants details.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

:geno: :"Deviant, I don't see your point, Tanto Cuore isn't THAT creepy."

:crossarms::"You pay them in love, and you don't let them leave."

rjderouin
May 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

The best part about this one is the girl who modeled for it will be there she is a good friend of mine who is an actual beer maid I will introduce you!

In terms of what Krosmaster promo, which one do you want? I will give you pick of whatever I have in stock, if the person is a Wakfu fan I recommend one of the promo show characters.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Do you have any promos for the PC version of Krosmaster? I don't have the physical game.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

rjderouin posted:

The best part about this one is the girl who modeled for it will be there she is a good friend of mine who is an actual beer maid I will introduce you!

oh god i'm so conflicted

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

oh HELL yeah

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

rjderouin posted:

In terms of what Krosmaster promo, which one do you want? I will give you pick of whatever I have in stock, if the person is a Wakfu fan I recommend one of the promo show characters.

If I get a promo, then walk around the "block" and come back with a mustache on, can I get another promo? :ninja:

Just kidding. But seriously I am pumped about these promos, as myself and fellow goon Troutimus are all about the Krosmaster.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Also I have a spare ticket for the official goon NSDM on Thursday if anyone missed out.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

saint gerald posted:

Also I have a spare ticket for the official goon NSDM on Thursday if anyone missed out.

I'm interested. Which Thursday slot is it?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Deviant posted:

I'm interested. Which Thursday slot is it?

8PM.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Is there a point to purchasing games at GenCon vs at home, other than GenCon launches? Awesome deals, great promos, etc?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

fordan posted:

Is there a point to purchasing games at GenCon vs at home, other than GenCon launches? Awesome deals, great promos, etc?

Generally no. Most everybody sells at MSRP with a few exceptions. CSI usually has a stand with stuff at close to their normal 30% off, Rio Grande's booth normally has pretty good discounts, and there's a smattering of stores with booths that'll sell cheaper. If you can hang on until Sunday you can get a couple bucks off at a lot of booths so they don't have to haul back to their shop.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The best stuff to buy at GenCon is old poo poo that isn't really collector's items. Every year my friends and I buy a box or three of some old dead tcg and play it, usually it's pretty cool and often it gives me some game design inspirations.

Speaking of, if anyone sees any boxes of the Monster Rancher card game tell me, it's been my white whale for over a decade now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm only looking to pick up early releases, promos, and out of print stuff. Also any cool accessories like the Gencon dice.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007

fordan posted:

Lot of booths offer promos and such. Its also fun to buy a game at the show and then play it with your friends all weekend but other than that no.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

fordan posted:

GenCon might have a better selection of games than your FLGS.

I say might because it's entirely possible that it might not, depending on what exactly you're looking for.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Quarex, when do convention programs (not just Gen Con but other conventions as well) usually come up in the auction. TOVA I imagine unless its really old Gen Con stuff? Any chance you could keep an eye out for pre-1992 Gen Con materials? Have a lot of gaps I need to fill there.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Similar question: I'm looking for some very specific older, OOP modules. Is there a list of what's in the auction and when it goes on sale, or is it more of a "come and see what you get" scenario?

fordan posted:

The joy of shipping it home Sunday afternoon with 5000 other unwashed gamers at the UPS store!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Its come and see what you get. There are some exceptions, like if its really rare it goes in a case to view till the Friday night auction. It also could be in the store, but depending what it is you want that may or may not be likely. There will also be some, though not many, vendors with modules and sometimes they are actually priced decently.

Are these D&D modules you want and if so which ones? I have some extras I don't need. I think I am like 20 modules away from a complete set and luckily I have most of the rarest ones out of the way, just haven't been putting effort into finishing it lately.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Peas and Rice posted:

The joy of shipping it home Sunday afternoon with 5000 other unwashed gamers at the UPS store!

I'm flying in but I can bring two checked bags free, so I'm just trying to figure out my luggage plans and whether I should deal with the hassle of two suitcases or not. Or maybe just pick up and pack an army-style duffle to put dirty clothes in if I need suitcase space for games.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

nesbit37 posted:

Its come and see what you get. There are some exceptions, like if its really rare it goes in a case to view till the Friday night auction. It also could be in the store, but depending what it is you want that may or may not be likely. There will also be some, though not many, vendors with modules and sometimes they are actually priced decently.

Are these D&D modules you want and if so which ones? I have some extras I don't need. I think I am like 20 modules away from a complete set and luckily I have most of the rarest ones out of the way, just haven't been putting effort into finishing it lately.

I'm actually looking for Castle Whiterock from Goodman Games. It goes for about $250 used. I was hoping to get it for way less - all I want to do is read through it as research for a similar project I'm working on.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Crackbone, did you ever decide what you are doing with your sell off games? Specifically Sheriff of Nottingham and Ladies and Gentlemen?

Depending on what you are looking for I may be interested.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just realized I get two 70lb checked bags for free, yessssss

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm actually looking for Castle Whiterock from Goodman Games. It goes for about $250 used. I was hoping to get it for way less - all I want to do is read through it as research for a similar project I'm working on.

Fyi I picked up a copy of whiterock in the vendor hall last year for $25 from a vendor that had a stack of them. They are always there selling off surplus from their warehouse. No guarantee for this year but definitely keep an eye out.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

nesbit37 posted:

Fyi I picked up a copy of whiterock in the vendor hall last year for $25 from a vendor that had a stack of them. They are always there selling off surplus from their warehouse. No guarantee for this year but definitely keep an eye out.

Holy poo poo.

If you're on the GroupMe, let me know if you see them again or remember who they were. Thank you!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Peas and Rice posted:

Holy poo poo.

If you're on the GroupMe, let me know if you see them again or remember who they were. Thank you!

Does it have to be physical? You can get a PDF pretty cheap from Paizo.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Len posted:

Does it have to be physical? You can get a PDF pretty cheap from Paizo.

If I can grab a physical copy for $25 I will, otherwise that $30 PDF does look mighty fine.

E: I didn't even think to look on Paizo's site. That'll teach me.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Peas and Rice posted:

Holy poo poo.

I will if I see them with more. The vendor should be easy to find, they are there every year. They usually have at least 2 booths worth of space and bring just bookcase upon bookcase of books and have signs up saying everything is either 50% off or buy 2 get 1 free or something like that. Most of it is crap, but you can find gems in there sometimes and if you are trying fill gaps in either less popular systems or something that is now obsolete (like D&D 4.0) they will probably have a bunch of stuff to fill up your own bookcases.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 21, 2015

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone want to start and/or add to a list of preview and tips podcasts? Even though I've been to this thing 15+ times I still like to listen to or view them and find the mythical awesome summary video of the convention to show to newbies.

So far I know of this one by Push Your Luck:
http://www.dicetower.com/game-podcast/push-your-luck-podcast/push-your-luck-ep-63-games-we-are-interested-gencon-2015

And the one 8one6 posted:
https://soundcloud.com/underdiscussion/ud201-gen-con-tips-2k15

The more the better, and by the way, 8one6, I have to say I was a little embarrassed to share that with my Gen Con group this year. I am bringing 3 Gen Con newbies this year, my girlfriend and another couple, and boy oh boy does that podcast make it seem like everyone there reaks like an open sewer.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

nesbit37 posted:

The more the better, and by the way, 8one6, I have to say I was a little embarrassed to share that with my Gen Con group this year. I am bringing 3 Gen Con newbies this year, my girlfriend and another couple, and boy oh boy does that podcast make it seem like everyone there reaks like an open sewer.

If you're jammed in one of the tournament areas maybe. Last year was the first year I've gone since 2005 and I was floored by how inclusive, clean, and inviting it felt compared to the early 2000s.

nesbit37 posted:

I will if I see them with more. The vendor should be easy to find, they are there every year. They usually have at least 2 booths worth of space and bring just bookcase upon bookcase of books and have signs up saying everything is either 50% off or buy 2 get 1 free or something like that. Most of it is crap, but you can find gems in there sometimes and if you are trying fill gaps in either less popular systems or something that is now obsolete (like D&D 4.0) they will probably have a bunch of stuff to fill up your own bookcases.

Cool, I'll look out for them. I didn't actually walk the hall much last year so I'll be sure and do it this year.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 21, 2015

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Peas and Rice posted:

If you're jammed in one of the tournament areas maybe. Last year was the first year I've gone since 2005 and I was floored by how inclusive, clean, and inviting it felt compared to the early 2000s.

I was on staff in the TCG hall, and I was expecting to have to police butt cracks and gross people (especially since it was right after Crackgate), but apparently, the worst of the worst don't come out of their basements and come to Gen Con. (Although this year, I'm on On-Demand Events from 3-12 on Saturday, so I'm sure I'll be dealing with the people who have been drafting since Thursday morning and haven't left the hall...)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CellBlock posted:

I was on staff in the TCG hall, and I was expecting to have to police butt cracks and gross people (especially since it was right after Crackgate), but apparently, the worst of the worst don't come out of their basements and come to Gen Con. (Although this year, I'm on On-Demand Events from 3-12 on Saturday, so I'm sure I'll be dealing with the people who have been drafting since Thursday morning and haven't left the hall...)

That's cool. I used to work in the WizKids tournament area back in the day, which was in a room upstairs, and holy cow could those rooms get stale after four days of 24-hour nonstop tournaments and events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Crackbone, did you ever decide what you are doing with your sell off games? Specifically Sheriff of Nottingham and Ladies and Gentlemen?

Depending on what you are looking for I may be interested.

Waiting for the Math Trade to close tonight at 11pm. After that I'll probably have an updated list of stuff.

• Locked thread