Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Idk, the first couple years I was in I had no idea what the gently caress anything was. It seems strange no one would look him up when results came out and be like, "hey congrats dude!" but that just might be more sad than anything. Like, at least one person should have recognized his name on the advancement list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Idk, the first couple years I was in I had no idea what the gently caress anything was. It seems strange no one would look him up when results came out and be like, "hey congrats dude!" but that just might be more sad than anything. Like, at least one person should have recognized his name on the advancement list.

Could have just had a common name, and then it gets awkward because people congratulate him when it's just some other kid in a different command.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Going to Port Huenemenenename or however it's spelled this September. Seabees are a weird group, also kind of dumb and crazy (I fit in pretty well). So if Mr. Nice! reports back I died in a tragic nailgun accident, there you go.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

Going to Port Huenemenenename or however it's spelled this September. Seabees are a weird group, also kind of dumb and crazy (I fit in pretty well). So if Mr. Nice! reports back I died in a tragic nailgun accident, there you go.

Uh... what state?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Learn to play spades, if you don't know already. Or talk to a Midwesterner and learn how to play God's own card game, euchre.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Cali. Malibu

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sounds like you could be stationed in much worse places. You're even close to border so you can make anchor babies!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nick Soapdish posted:

Learn to play spades, if you don't know already. Or talk to a Midwesterner and learn how to play God's own card game, euchre.

We play a game similar to Euchre in Wisconsin called Sheepshead. Trick game... best game.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Oxnard, CA specifically. Malibu is for homos and sexuals

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I wish it was Malibu :(

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Sounds like you could be stationed in much worse places. You're even close to border so you can make anchor babies!

Nah it's like 40 miles farther up the coast from LA. There are much worse places but there are much better places.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

It's not Gulfport, MS and it isn't wherever the gently caress the Bees are in VA, and doesn't involve ships. It's just fine

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Getting headhunted for contract work out of brementon by Apex. Anyone ever meet their employees or have inside knowledge of how terrible/good they are?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Port Hueneme is pretty alright, take up surfing or kite boarding or something. Ventura is right up the road and it's pretty awesome IMO.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Surfing is for kooks, a Scientific Fact

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Surfing is for kooks, a Scientific Fact

look at this shoobie over here

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

look at this shoobie over here

Or as we fishermen like to call surfers, shark bait.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

Or as we fishermen like to call surfers, shark bait.

Look at these dad jokes over here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Look at these dad jokes over here.

That's recruit-dad to you mister.

VVV I embrace my lovely worthless oldass reservist status VVV

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 19, 2015

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

That's recruit-dad to you mister.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Ventura co and central coast CA in general owns, but god drat Oxnard is a hole

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah but last time I was in Oxnard I got a really good burrito.

Also, when I was in SD. And LA. Really anywhere in mid/southern Cali is good for a really good burrito I guess, so sure, Oxnard sucks.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

While this is true, the importance of it not being Gulfport, MS or VA can not be understated.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah been in VA for going on 2 years now and I can say this; I really like Norfolk (downtown and Ghent are pretty sweet) but Hampton Roads and greater VA can go gently caress itself.

In other gently caress Virginia news, just bought tickets to a Monday night Modest Mouse concert at the nTelos Wireless Pavilion which I know to be in Portsmouth. Turns out there is another one in Charlottesville so that's pretty sweet. All sales final.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

DownByTheWooter posted:

Ventura co and central coast CA in general owns, but god drat Oxnard is a hole

Yeah, Oxnard in particular is kind of a dump, but the overall area is pretty awesome. Ventura and Camarillo are nice, Santa Barbara is great, and you're an hour from LA if that's your thing. Delicious burritos abound, and the weather is more or less perfect all the time.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I leave for basic Tuesday and it finally hit me that my life is over. RIP me.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

No, no, no...your life is just beginning. The World is your oyster! See the world and clean it. See Europe, clean; see crappy Arab world, clean; see Dubai, clean. Enjoy the best leadership this side of Enron. Go get 'em! Why aren't you cleaning yet? :chiefsay:

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Anita Dickinme posted:

What rate will you be?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

The turkey legs for dinner are delicious. The only caffeine available is in the diet coke and green tea bags(suck on them). You can most likely sell your dental floss as a gum replacement a few weeks in.
Take nutrigrain bars from breakfast and hide them in the space of your backpack the allows it be extended. Cookies are not so good for this because they are too round.
Take your lubiderm skin lotion to one of the heads between your divisions room. Nobody likes an active-jerker in the division head.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

The turkey legs for dinner are delicious. The only caffeine available is in the diet coke and green tea bags(suck on them). You can most likely sell your dental floss as a gum replacement a few weeks in.
Take nutrigrain bars from breakfast and hide them in the space of your backpack the allows it be extended. Cookies are not so good for this because they are too round.
Take your lubiderm skin lotion to one of the heads between your divisions room. Nobody likes an active-jerker in the division head.

Jeez bootcamp is alot harder when you're as old as dirt huh? That's quite the list for folding school

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Jeez bootcamp is alot harder when you're as old as dirt huh? That's quite the list for folding school

If I can help one person not make everyone else uncomfortable. Have some jerkin' etiquette.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Maybe I was just a scared kid, but the urge to jerk it never once crossed my mind there. A week later a A school otoh I probably could have cured California's drought issue.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hunted down my boot post in the archives:

Jul 6, 2011 13:09

Sir Lucius posted:

I ship out next week. These forums have certainly taught me the valuable lesson of, "don't do stupid poo poo."

Jul 6, 2011 14:08

ManMythLegend posted:

Too late. You already joined the Navy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sir Lucius posted:

Hunted down my boot post in the archives:

Oh god. What did I find?

Oct 17 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well, I guess I forgot about this thread until the last minute, but I'm off to Navy OCS tomorrow, to hopefully become an NFO in two years or so. Naturally, after months and months of waiting, I've been running around all day getting my stuff together and getting all the paperwork and forms I need, but I'm pretty much all packed and ready to go now. A bit nervous, but overall I'm glad to finally be getting on with it. With luck, I'll be graduating in late January. I hope winter in Newport isn't too bad.

Winter was loving awful.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Did you end up in aviation?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, the NFO gig has worked out fine so far. Really glad I didn't get picked up for Information Dominance.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Received approval for conversion, now I'm just waiting on orders. Any idea how long this is gonna take? I'm already 3 months past my PRD.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Seqenenra posted:

What rate will you be?

ABE. It was that or Logistics. A few people told me I chose well; it seems debatable but when someone here said carriers get the best ports I was happy with my decision.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Maybe I was just a scared kid, but the urge to jerk it never once crossed my mind there. A week later a A school otoh I probably could have cured California's drought issue.

I figure this would be me. I went a whole week without jerking it in my AJROTC summer camp thing. :v:

Also I had my first threesome tonight. The girls said they wanted to send me off with something nice, and it was. :unsmith:

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Anita Dickinme posted:

ABE. It was that or Logistics. A few people told me I chose well; it seems debatable but when someone here said carriers get the best ports I was happy with my decision.

No matter what, you'll be able to look back and be happy that you didn't go engineering. HT especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

I figure this would be me. I went a whole week without jerking it in my AJROTC summer camp thing. :v:

Also I had my first threesome tonight. The girls said they wanted to send me off with something nice, and it was. :unsmith:

LOL carriers do not get the best ports. Source: I spent 4 years on a carrier. Hope you like the Sandbox.

• Locked thread