Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

She wasn't belching, she was holding back vomit at the thought of riding a roller coaster because she's apparently a huge whimp when it comes to that kind of stuff. She even says she's terrified of those dumb little elevators on Saltspray Rig.

Also I'd be depressed too if I constantly had to listen to Calie's terrible "jokes".

Her covering her mouth and going urp is totally burping and it's gross to do on live tv.

She's also the same sister that in the single player tells you to rescue her grandpa and then calls you a huge loser and acts like you're wasting her time doing what she asked. I would rather listen to puns then be cynical about life.

Edit: That's the next splatfest Puns vs Suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Astro7x posted:

This is one of those times I would totally drop $5 on some DLC of new minigames to play between matches

If you're serious, the Amiibo each come with an extra minigame you can play once you scan them in and complete a few missions.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

What's a good weapon for Tower Control? I haven't found one I'm happy with yet.

Blasters/rollers/.gals for attacking the tower, chargers for defending the tower, automatics for riding the tower.

Inkbrush for Hard Mode.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I have just experienced the worst person in Ranked Splatoon. Motherfucker did literally nothing the entire round but sit on the capture point in squid form.

gently caress Japanese players so much, holy poo poo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

Have you heard the good word of blasters?

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Sade posted:

We don't have nearly enough sample size to say that Callie's teams are always better at splatoon. If we get to the fifth splatfest and Callie's team has won every time, then maybe we can start having that conversation.

If we look at international results, Callie's teams (she's always on the left) have won 5 out of 6 Splatfests.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I tend to get good results with the Luna Blaster, since it has a large area of effect and people tend to bunch around the tower.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Yes, but she lost the most important one.

that said, if you ignore her demented affinity for cats, she's the better sister

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

TTBF posted:

If you're serious, the Amiibo each come with an extra minigame you can play once you scan them in and complete a few missions.

Good luck finding them, especially the three pack

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

CandyCrazy posted:

If we look at international results, Callie's teams (she's always on the left) have won 5 out of 6 Splatfests.

I tend to get good results with the Luna Blaster, since it has a large area of effect and people tend to bunch around the tower.

I tried out blasters before and couldn't get the hang of them, but let me try a round or two on TC and see how I do.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

RUDE

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Slow firing rate and short range means that I'm mostly clobbered and can't fight back easily in a one-on-one. If it was a one-shot KO like the Dynamo Roller, I'd feel much better about it, but it two shots means it's slower and with a shorter range. I also feel like sometimes it just doesn't want to fire? Like, I hold down the trigger but nothing's happening.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All the blasters other than the rapid ones are one hit kills if you score a direct hit. You have to aim better.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Does "direct hit" mean at the end of the shot or at the beginning of the shot? I've been trying to get my hit on at the end of the shot, but it takes two hits on the Luna Blaster. I hear the damage noise, so I'm not missing.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Just went me against two other squids, three of my dudes disconnected to their two disconnections.

Lost ~30% to ~50%.

Still got over 1300 to their highest 1200, and that's including their bonus 300pts. On top of getting a 5-0 K/D. Octobrush is loving sick.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
man, all this time later, and splatzones on skatepark is still the best loving thing ever created in a video game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Doesn't matter how far the projectile has traveled, as long as it hits dead on its a one hit kill. The damage noise you're hearing is from the splash damage of the blaster rather than the projectile itself. One of the big advantages of blasters is they do substantial splash damage, which allows you to kill people you wouldn't otherwise be able to hit. However splash damage kills are always two hits at best, while a direct hit will be a one shot. Try it out on test dummies in the firing range to get a feel for how the projectile works.

EDIT: Think of it like this; the blasters fire grenades that do enough damage to instantly kill anyone. The grenades burst after traveling a set amount of distance OR when they come in contact with something. So if the grenades burst in the air people are just getting hit by its ink shrapnel, but if you fire it right into some poor squids face the whole thing explodes on them and they're done. So too use blasters well, you have should be aiming for direct hits but also looking for situations in which you can kill someone outside your normal range or hiding behind a corner with the shrapnel.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 20, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Suspicious Dish posted:

Does "direct hit" mean at the end of the shot or at the beginning of the shot? I've been trying to get my hit on at the end of the shot, but it takes two hits on the Luna Blaster. I hear the damage noise, so I'm not missing.

It means just that. Doesn't matter if the main load hits someone: The area damage comes when the shot bursts at the end of it's limited trajectory. Use the firing range to get a better feel of the gun.

EDIT: Dang. Too slow.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Didn't know Splatoon Garry's Mod was out already.

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 20, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Suspicious Dish posted:

man, all this time later, and splatzones on skatepark is still the best loving thing ever created in a video game

It really is magical.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
European "Eat vs Sleep" Splatfest ended - and the gluttons won.

Eaters: 63% + 48%*2 = 159
Sleepers: 37% + 52%*2 = 141

Couldn't participate in this one either, but next time: Definitely.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Aioli and Limone :geno:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

codenameFANGIO posted:

Aioli and Limone :geno:
:stare:
That is even more disturbingly cannibalistic than Callie and Marie

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I hadn't played since around the time ranked was added. I jumped into some tower matches last night and got to b- with a freshness of 10. Then they rotated the tower maps to really terrible ones.

I haven't seen anyone else using the three round burst gun, but I'm wrecking people with it. Any other guns I should try? Tell me why this is doing it wrong.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The booyah at the end was a nice touch.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I'm so close to being my avatar right now. Why is there no bandannas or round sunglasses in the game?

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 20, 2015

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

pixaal posted:

I hadn't played since around the time ranked was added. I jumped into some tower matches last night and got to b- with a freshness of 10. Then they rotated the tower maps to really terrible ones.

I haven't seen anyone else using the three round burst gun, but I'm wrecking people with it. Any other guns I should try? Tell me why this is doing it wrong.

I like the Nozzlenose a lot, but I'm assuming people simply opt for automatic weapons, or weapons like rollers where precision is less crucial to getting splats.

Plus a lot of squids/kids still don't understand/appreciate Disruptors.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jarogue posted:

I'm so close to being my avatar right now. Why is there no bandannas or round sunglasses in the game?

I always see your avatar as having a :stare: face. its funny.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So when it comes to item abilities, there's a point where returns diminish right? I'm at one main defense and two sub defenses, are those subs still doing anything?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So when it comes to item abilities, there's a point where returns diminish right? I'm at one main defense and two sub defenses, are those subs still doing anything?

The diminishing returns start after the first ability. Well the amount seems to depend on the particular ability, it's something like 100%-80%-50% for primary slots efficacy on average.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Suspicious Dish posted:

Not sure I saw anyone do it so I'm going to throw my vote in for the OG Splat Roller. It's a roller, so it fits in close quarters, the suction bombs are great for nailing the tower, and the killer wail will clear out anyone on, or in front of, the tower.

I think I saw it said earlier that if you have suction bombs, and there is ever a time you don't have a bomb stuck to the tower or are recharging to throw another one, you're doing it wrong. That's very true. Keep the tower covered in those things no matter if you are attacking, defending, or riding.

I really like the Custom Blaster but after the patch, with the ability to push people with Bubblers off the tower more easily I don't think it's as useful as it was.

Jet Squelcher looks like it'd be good in theory, with the ink wall able to set a trap for tower-goers and Inkstrike to clear it, but I'm not good enough with the Squelchers yet to roll with them on ranked.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

High defense and fast ink swim gear on a kraken roller is bullshit and I love it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

High defense and fast ink swim gear on a kraken roller is bullshit and I love it.

Wait does fast ink swim affect a krakken swim speed too? :psyduck:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Rexroom posted:

European "Eat vs Sleep" Splatfest ended - and the gluttons won.

Eaters: 63% + 48%*2 = 159
Sleepers: 37% + 52%*2 = 141

Couldn't participate in this one either, but next time: Definitely.

And they say Americans are the fat ones :smug:

E: MAMPF v SCHNARCH lol

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Chronojam posted:

I think so, but maybe at a lower speed, since Ninja Squid actually slows Kraken down.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Chronojam posted:

Oh, I meant for jumping out and ambushing people, I don't actually know if it affects the krakken state.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

And they say Americans are the fat ones :smug:

E: MAMPF v SCHNARCH lol

mams vs snatches

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Oh, I meant for jumping out and ambushing people, I don't actually know if it affects the krakken state.

It does

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Just gonna booyah myself in this thread. Me and a teammate had an enemy pop Kraken and come after us. He chose chase me, so I popped Bubble, and he bounced off me and decided to go after my teammate. Instead of just getting away, I raced the Kraken to my teammate and bubbled them, SAVING THEIR SQUID KID LIFE.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Just gonna booyah myself in this thread. Me and a teammate had an enemy pop Kraken and come after us. He chose chase me, so I popped Bubble, and he bounced off me and decided to go after my teammate. Instead of just getting away, I raced the Kraken to my teammate and bubbled them, SAVING THEIR SQUID KID LIFE.

I had this happen to me today, but that was like four or five hours ago. It's appreciated, TRUST ME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Trent posted:

It does

• Locked thread