Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It took me so long to figure this game out and now I feel like I'm back at square one but not in a fun way :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

It took me so long to figure this game out and now I feel like I'm back at square one but not in a fun way :(

yeah their forums indicate that the devs love frustrating the players, and every angry post feeds their ongoing anger against the casuals who dare play their game. Think a cartoony version of Dark Souls, essentially. I love the game, but even in the early builds it was really difficult, now it just feels like their trying to show that they can gently caress up any part build. Look, I hate min/maxers as much as anyone, but if the only people who can beat this game are the hard-core poop-sockers, they're not going to ever sell very well, much less a sequel.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Kaincypher posted:

yeah their forums indicate that the devs love frustrating the players, and every angry post feeds their ongoing anger against the casuals who dare play their game. Think a cartoony version of Dark Souls, essentially. I love the game, but even in the early builds it was really difficult, now it just feels like their trying to show that they can gently caress up any part build. Look, I hate min/maxers as much as anyone, but if the only people who can beat this game are the hard-core poop-sockers, they're not going to ever sell very well, much less a sequel.

Nah

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

well... ok then?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
you dont ruin a min maxers time by making a game harder. you ruin it by making every choice as valid as the other to the point that min maxing is pointless.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kaincypher posted:

like nothing in this post is actually true aside from the fact that a lot of people cry on their forums

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
THE REAL DARK SUOLS STARTS NOW

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
My save file before the MaA/Arbalest release had me playing tons of PDs and Grave Robbers and poo poo because I didn't realize how nuts buffed Highwaymen were, and even with me using mediocre builds and enjoying the game like a filthy casual I still had no real issue getting to and beating nearly all of the highest bosses. If the game was harder during that period of blissful ignorance than these "[really difficult] early builds" then I guess I'm some sort of wizard.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Remind yourself overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer. :gitgud:

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 20, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Locke Dunnegan posted:

My save file before the MaA/Arbalest release had me playing tons of PDs and Grave Robbers and poo poo because I didn't realize how nuts buffed Highwaymen were, and even with me using mediocre builds and enjoying the game like a filthy casual I still had no real issue getting to and beating nearly all of the highest bosses. If the game was harder during that period of blissful ignorance than these "[really difficult] early builds" then I guess I'm some sort of wizard.

Likewise, at least for using and not using the PD and Highwayman respectively; wasn't a fan of the Grave Robber. The difficulty of this game is vastly overstated, I think. It's not easy, to be sure, but it's not some impenetrable nightmare either.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The thing is, what is going to give you a hard time isn't the classes, but what abilities you take on them and how you approach a battle. You can literally take 4 fresh guys off the coach and do successful dark runs a decent amount of the time. Or you can take 4 guys on a full light run, play terribly, and have them all die.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

you dont ruin a min maxers time by making a game harder. you ruin it by making every choice as valid as the other to the point that min maxing is pointless.

Which, honestly, I think this patch does a decent job at. It's an incremental improvement and there's still a ways to go, but I'm way less picky on who I send on runs these days. I've been sending formerly poo poo tier classes into tough missions and boss fights without breaking a sweat. Most classes also have a lot more demand for skill slots since they have more viable skills.

(This is on a fresh save, mind you--I gather that Veteran/Champion dungeons are more demanding. But that was itself a balance problem before.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 20, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I like the patch now that my newbie idiots can't whiff at corpses forever while chugging blood "wine" thrown their way.

Plague doctor and other previously bad characters feel like they have value now and I think it's good if the endgame isn't so rigid in what does and doesn't work. Still needs a bit of tweaking but it feels good.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 20, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kaincypher posted:

I can't see how this is true due to the devs being overwhelmingly open to feedback and rapidly making changes when a few patch decisions left bad tastes in mouths. if anything they're the opposite of masochistic and have done a great job fine-tuning things within days of radical changes multiple times this year.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WarpedLichen posted:

This was a bad patch to start playing this game, corpses are ridiculous. Lost 3 out of 4 four dudes doing the first mission. Having 2/4 of my characters uselessly wasting their turns missing corpses is terrible.
If only the Crusader and Highwayman which you start with had some way to strike more than one foe at a time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really really wish I could run dungeons with people that are too-high level and just have them not get experience. Sometimes I actually don't have enough low level guys to unlock some new boss or what ever and my barracks is full.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Even with the full roster upgrades? Dang that's a lot of leveled up dudes. I've never come close to a full roster after upgrades.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rascyc posted:

Even with the full roster upgrades? Dang that's a lot of leveled up dudes. I've never come close to a full roster after upgrades.

I'll usually make a super squad of my favorite people and level them up to 5-6, maybe have 2-4 other poeple to swap in-out when the A-team needs some meditation or treatment. I'll do the "whole game" with them. Then I'll hire some level 0's and do the same, hitting up dungeons my A-team are too high level to do.

So now I have a roster of about 10 level 6's and then the rest of the barracks full every level below that, but obviously as time goes on everyone keeps leveling up. Last time I played before this patch the lowest level I had was 4, meaning I couldn't run the new bosses.

So far I've only tried out the man at arms and the arbalest. Man at arms is ok I guess, nothing stands out as useful but he tanks the front row just fine. Arbalest seems nice, but I don't know if it's just bad luck but I've lost 3 so far. She's always in the back and the AI seems to just zero in on her. After the first few fights she'll be at half health and nearly max stress, they really really like to hit her with stress attacks. I figured it was just bad luck, but I'm on my 4th now, hoping to see how she pans out as she levels up, but she keeps coming out of dungeons near max stress while everyone else has little to none. Is this normal?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

So now I have a roster of about 10 level 6's and then the rest of the barracks full every level below that, but obviously as time goes on everyone keeps leveling up. Last time I played before this patch the lowest level I had was 4, meaning I couldn't run the new bosses.

This is a problem that only exists in Early Access, though. In the complete game there won't be new low level bosses appearing when you've already got a leveled up roster.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Baronjutter posted:

I really really wish I could run dungeons with people that are too-high level and just have them not get experience. Sometimes I actually don't have enough low level guys to unlock some new boss or what ever and my barracks is full.

Be an evil person like me and edit the roster upgrades to reasonable but more comfortable levels. I think I had mine max out with (# of classes x 2), and walk it back by like 3 an upgrade. Hell I don't really consider the Jester a class anymore (haven't played the new update yet) so I would reduce it by 2 more across the board.

Yes it's cheating but it doesn't hurt my conscience much!

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Be an evil person like me and edit the roster upgrades to reasonable but more comfortable levels. I think I had mine max out with (# of classes x 2), and walk it back by like 3 an upgrade. Hell I don't really consider the Jester a class anymore (haven't played the new update yet) so I would reduce it by 2 more across the board.

Yes it's cheating but it doesn't hurt my conscience much!

How hard would it be to double the cost as well as capacity of the last three barracks upgrades?

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I cannot recommend changing the roster size values up a few slots a level more, it made the game go from, "I don't care to touch this game since the beginning is such an awful grindfest", to "gently caress yes I love everything about this".

Seriously just edit that poo poo, the game is so much easier in a small way when you edit it, and it's not like you're reducing damage or anything about the actual dungeons.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Increasing the roster size does drastically change the entire stress/disease/people management aspect of the game. If you don't like it, yea not a huge deal to change it around, but it actually does impact your gameplay.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
A few versions ago I would have agreed with you, but I've wound up with a lot more heroes in the Sanitarium this time around (due to disease) and have been having a blast throwing whatever ragtag group of garbage heroes I have on hand into the dungeon. The bad classes are a lot more capable of pulling their weight these days.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cirofren posted:

How hard would it be to double the cost as well as capacity of the last three barracks upgrades?

Trivial with any text editor.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

coyo7e posted:

If only the Crusader and Highwayman which you start with had some way to strike more than one foe at a time.

My crusader did not have an AOE move (stunning blow, smite, and bulwark) and the highwayman's aoe move did 3 damage which didn't take out corpses in one hit AND missed 50% of the time.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cirofren posted:

The files in this game are easily altered - Notepad ++ is great for this. Just loving around with it, I've managed to
- Alter hero lines

- Change the Caretaker's appearance and lines

- Change building icons and text

- Change skill names and descriptions

- Change the effect of town buildings and their cost

- Remove "The" and "Estate" from the name bar in the menu.

And this is what you can do just by toying around with it for a bit - you can also add or modify classes, trinkets and skills by learning some extra steps. It's really, really cool that the game's files are so accessible.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Does it say somewhere that you can only lock 3 positive quirks? Because I'm guessing that's why I am not having the option to nail down "Slugger" on my level 6 Crusader, who already has 3 other locked quirks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man this game got harder. I sent my A-team, with Dismas as the crusader you started with and had survived 80 weeks. I was going for the level 3 flesh train thing and near the boss room I saw something I haven't seen before, a strange orb. It told me to put a torch in it if I yearn for darkness. Uh, sure? OH gently caress! Some huge lovecrafian horror came out and I had a boss fight I barely survived but it gave me some awesome loot and an ancestral item. I then got quickly party wiped on the boss after a series of crits :(

Any tips on this pig train?? Also has anyone else found this orb dude?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The Shambler? Yeah I've seen that orb all the time. He's generally not worth the effort since all he drops are Ancestor trinkets and I have yet to receive a really good one.

You mainly want to kill/debuff the adds before they get their massive buff. The Shambler itself is just a stress machine.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Well, played a mission, and while I like most of how everything feels, gently caress finishing a mission and getting diseases and negative quirks. gently caress this build, diseases should not be that loving common for how much a character with one is completely worthless. Maybe if it was just a spot of gold without a sanitarium slot and a weeks wait to heal the disease it wouldn't be so bad. Sad to see trinkets only continue to get worse, why have them in the game when 95% aren't worth using, unless you're using two together to offset each other for a slight gain. I was really enjoying the last build too. :suicide:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Okay, I want to retract my previous statement that the Houndmaster is in any way shape or form bad. He's probably one of the best classes in the game for avoiding damage. His +Scouting camping skill is massively better than the dedicated +Scouting Ancestral trinket and allows you to avoid a ton of damage by avoiding combat and never being surprised, especially in "100% of room battles" missions, and his Guard move is amazing in tandem with a character that is able to self-Mark.

The only thing I'd like to see is him get more Dog Treats, possibly based on his weapon level. Other than that, he's an amazing class if you know how to use him and aren't averse to taking down encounters a bit more slowly (but a lot more safely) than you're probably used to.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rascyc posted:

The Shambler? Yeah I've seen that orb all the time. He's generally not worth the effort since all he drops are Ancestor trinkets and I have yet to receive a really good one.

You mainly want to kill/debuff the adds before they get their massive buff. The Shambler itself is just a stress machine.

I got super lucky with the shambler the first time I killed him and got the map. That thing is amazing, it makes you scout at least every other room. No more stumbling into traps, or facing unnecessary hallway encounters in places with branching routes.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I've heard that the Shambler can show up without being summoned if you spend a lot of time in pitch blackness, but I don't know if it's actually true or not.

On a short mission with a relatively fresh team it's sometimes worth the risk, but I'd never call one if I knew I had a boss battle ahead of me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Crasical posted:

I've heard that the Shambler can show up without being summoned if you spend a lot of time in pitch blackness, but I don't know if it's actually true or not.

On a short mission with a relatively fresh team it's sometimes worth the risk, but I'd never call one if I knew I had a boss battle ahead of me.

Yep! One time I went down a dead end hallway, started backtracking, and ran into a random Shambler in the corridor I'd just cleared. Killed it pretty easily, but it still freaked me out pretty well.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Crasical posted:

I started a bunch of new games and killed off the first 2 dudes by snuffing out the torch and dieing at the last fight, and once I got him in the first hallway before the first bandit fight.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Yeah, I've also had a random Shambler show up in the very first corridor while going for sweet loot in the dark with a disposable newbie party. That run kinda ended in "you know, we're done here" before the first room. Kinda sucked eating the provision costs. At least the "heroes" were intended for dismissal instead of healing up.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Sad to see trinkets only continue to get worse, why have them in the game when 95% aren't worth using, unless you're using two together to offset each other for a slight gain. I was really enjoying the last build too. :suicide:

This is probably my biggest problem with the game right now. The design choice they seem to be going for is that Trinkets are not about buffs, but about specialization, and as such are rarely useful because they often buff/nerf different parts of what's effectively the same thing - Like +Acc, - Damage, or +Bleed, - Acc. Or Tough Ring's friggin' +Prot, -Dodge.

I've had three bosses ready to go for like a month and a half, game time, and I keep looking at all of them and so far I've seen one Very Rare trinket that I was actually like "Yeah, that looks good, let's go kick that cannon's rear end and take it."

I then got wrecked by the cannon, because I forgot that while this game explicitly states that DoTs are designed to kill high-Prot enemies, the highest-Prot boss is immune to all Dots. I managed to run before the TPK happened, but RIP my plague doctor. You were a terrible choice for this fight.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Black Wombat posted:

I forgot that while this game explicitly states that DoTs are designed to kill high-Prot enemies, the highest-Prot boss is immune to all Dots. I managed to run before the TPK happened, but RIP my plague doctor. You were a terrible choice for this fight.
Also, at least in previous versions of the game, the matchstriker didn't take dot damage before he lit the fuse. That really hosed me up when it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed
I would just like to say that in this current patch, MaAs are still awesome - bellow is amazing, retribution is still pretty decent (especially with his camping dodge buff). Hellions are fantastic, although breakthrough isn't really worth using until you get her +%CRT high. Bounty hunters are great and highwaymen are a good backup for them (camp buff with grape shot is hilarious); scouting is really really useful. Vestal/BH/MaA/Hellion just cleared the hag and ended up with less stress than they started the mission with.

Also would like to say that despite trying to get the plague doctor to work, she is still very mediocre - her buff skill is nice for the highwayman's grape shot and her stun grenade is decent, but otherwise her DoTs are not great, because even with 33% resist, enemies resist them often enough that it's better to just do outright damage. DoTs are only really effective against the player, since it's a war of attrition and the dungeon doesn't care about losing a few monsters. Her camps skills are nothing to get excited about either.

I still don't get the jester - his skills require constant repositioning to use optimally and with having no idea what order your dudes go in, it's not really that useful. Houndmaster's damage is the lowest of all characters and while his defense skill is useful, I think it needs a camp buff (like the MaA's) and trinkets to really shine.

I don't get much use out of grave diggers or occultist - I think the occultist is decent with a BH in the party, otherwise meh. His movement skills are worse than the BH's and his heal is really annoying.

No one else has brought it up, but I think the current short-medium-long mission setup is not really fun. Long missions are a slog and not worth it since you end up throwing away at least 25% of the treasure (sometimes more if you find more earlier on when your supplies are taking up inventory space) . Short missions have no camp, so any classes that are weaker in combat due to really good camping skills seriously lose out. It would be cool to see a 'preparation' period prior to mission start where you can use a couple of camp skills before entering, although this might break the game with certain skills (MaA team dodge buff for example) and plague doctor's disease cure thing.