Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

-Spiffy- posted:

Winning the toss doesn't necessarily mean you bat first though.

I think they should at least try to coin toss the first test then alternate the decision for every test after. I bet the pitches would be doctored accordingly but that's probably gonna happen anyway.
Maybe they should do something not luck based, like a bowl off or a beer skolling contest before the first morning's play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

iajanus posted:

It's not a complicated rule if you're not a loving idiot like Stokes was. 10 year old children understand the concept that you need something touching the ground behind the line; this isn't unique to cricket...

sliding your bat is stupid. If you play on poo poo grounds you inevitably end up with the bat plugging and nailing you in the bollocks

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

RideTheSpiral posted:

sliding your bat is stupid. If you play on poo poo grounds you inevitably end up with the bat plugging and nailing you in the bollocks

You're not riding it like a witch and if you're extending properly the bat is out to the side.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

RideTheSpiral posted:

Stokes is an idiot but this rule is bad. He is obviously behind the crease.

So should shots be counted as six if they go over the boundary but are saved by being thrown back in by a fielder too? Maybe we should award catches if the fielder drops them because it obviously should have been caught?

The rule is cut and dry. Stokes is really dumb to have gotten out like that.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

RideTheSpiral posted:

Stokes is an idiot but this rule is bad. He is obviously behind the crease.

If stokes wasn't a gutless twerp he wouldn't have decided shelling up was more important than getting hit and staying in.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Byolante posted:

If stokes wasn't a gutless twerp he wouldn't have decided shelling up was more important than getting hit and staying in.

Mitchell Johnson was probably throwing to break his loving arm and accidentally hit the stumps

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

RideTheSpiral posted:

Mitchell Johnson was probably throwing to break his loving arm and accidentally hit the stumps

Broken arm didn't stop cowdrey, he needs to man up

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

England.jpg

The problem England have is that the talent pool is so shallow there are no repercussions for such insane levels of stupidity and incompetence.
Stokesy has a laugh about it with Belly and Ballancey and nothing changes.

Fucker should be dropped for that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's not that shallow, it's just their ridiculous insistence on never dropping anyone means that none of the potential backups (Taylor, Hales, Bairstow, Willey, Rashid etc) ever get any experience. They then get chucked into the deep end of a series that's going so terribly that an undroppable gets dropped and shockingly underperform.

The Windies series is a prime example, using it to administer the last rites to Trotted career was criminal.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Cool the test is already over. No recording tms tonight.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

Lots of talk about a lovely pitch but how about England doesn't pick goblins and gingers to hold bats and find actual good batsmen.

Like, in Ireland maybe?

Goblins and gingers are >90% of the Irish population

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Airstream Driver posted:

Has he always batted this far back or did someone 'fix' him?

I'm sure I remember him topping the sixes league in the t20 comp one year so he can't always have been a back foot bellend. I think it's all his own doing though, getting further and further back the more his confidence dwindles.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

With some minor adjustments this would make a good sledge for Balance.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

He got a reasonable review from The Telegraph, but then a lot of their scores seem to go along the lines of "Well he really wasn't that bad - 8/10".

The Telegraph posted:

Gary Ballance: Only 98 runs but has phlegmatically survived more balls than all bar Cook, Root and Stokes. A square peg in a round hole at 3 owing to his (non-) footwork? Deserves a go down the order before being dropped. 6/10

Rest of the scores here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...l?frame=3381232

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Anderson gets a 7 for taking 0/140 at over 4 an over. Alrighty then.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dead Goon posted:

He got a reasonable review from The Telegraph, but then a lot of their scores seem to go along the lines of "Well he really wasn't that bad - 8/10".

What is the point of scoring out of 10 if you're only going to give people between 6 and 9?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Rated Anderson high cos he might eventually get a pitch he is effective on :lol:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

gay picnic defence posted:

What is the point of scoring out of 10 if you're only going to give people between 6 and 9?

Lyth got 4/10.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

Lyth got 4/10.

Even that was too high. Just give them all 1 and Anderson 0

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

If we drop ballance and Bell who is going to be the sitter in the middle order? If we have nothing but bashers we'll either make 600 or 60

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Drop both and it'd have to be someone like Taylor, even though he's not having a particularly good season (assuming the other replacement is Bairstow).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

gay picnic defence posted:

Inspired by video game ratings, most likely

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Ripping 3 players out of the team would be madness when there is only 1 player who can realistically step into the team (bairstow). Everyone else is a gamble.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Has to be Lyth then - last in first out and all that.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3

notaspy posted:

Ripping 3 players out of the team would be madness when there is only 1 player who can realistically step into the team (bairstow). Everyone else is a gamble.

Even Bairstow is a gamble - his test record is not great and he looked particularly poor against Australia both home and away.

Lyth and Ballance have clear technical deficiencies which I can't see clearing up between now and Edgbaston, but the lack of alternatives is a real issue. People keep saying Hales, but does he even open in first class cricket? He might be worth a crack at 5 in a Root-Bell-Hales middle order to play a KP-type role. The only other opener that springs to mind is Alex Lees, but I don't think he's doing particularly well this season either.

Bell is just out of form, and has done enough in the past to keep his place for now. Lyth stays in because I don't know who the gently caress else they can pick there. Ballance out with either Hales or Bairstow to come in, with Root up to three.

One player who is not under much scrutiny at the moment but who isn't actually doing all that much (with the bat) is Buttler. He may well stay in for this series but he could well be replaced by Bairstow for South Africa if he doesn't get a score or two.

edit: Yes Hales does open in first class, at least he has done recently. I thought he batted more at ~4 in FCC. I see Taylor is currently 224 no vs Sussex...

pogo fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 20, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Give Lyth another match, drop Ballance for Bairstow now. Seriously consider who Bell can be replaced with, keeping the option of "an actual spinner" open.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dead Goon posted:

That article is amazing. Yes I do think Mitchell Marsh got the same rating as Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad and that Stokes was the better allrounder.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'd be all for replacing Buttler with Bairstow tbqh. The keeping isn't so much of a difference that you'd rather take Buttler than the better longer form batsman in Bairstow, and the gloves might ease the pressure on his batting a bit in a weird way.

I've just got my suspicions about Buttler in the long formats.

pogo posted:

edit: Yes Hales does open in first class, at least he has done recently. I thought he batted more at ~4 in FCC. I see Taylor is currently 224 no vs Sussex...

Might be playing by the end of the series then. Hales and Taylor are opposites this season - Hales started with a couple of scores and has done nothing much since, Taylor hasn't done anything but is now coming into form.

Lionel Richie fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 20, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
what kind of a name is Jos anyway. oh its actually a dumb abbreviation of Joseph

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Telegraph editor is probably in the same gentlemen's club as Strauss.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I like Bell, and I would call this resting him, not dripping him but we have to be honest and say it'll 18months before he is back in the team. At that point he will be 35 and we'll have to use him at 5.

I agree that whomever we bring in as opener is going to be a gamble. Bairstow will be down the order, hopefully this gives him a bit of protection as by the time he comes out Root will be on a double ton.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Beyond hilarious that a team could lose by that many runs, look completely hopeless in every facet of play and get destroyed across the board and still get mostly 7s and 8s out of 10. I'm hoping the England selectors have the same opinions...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It does kind of display just how reliant England have been on Joe Root lately. He has a bad test and we lose by over 400 runs lmao.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

It does kind of display just how reliant England have been on Joe Root lately. He has a bad test and we lose by over 400 runs lmao.

And he still made more of a contribution than the bloody opening bowler.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

i hope the english selectors are reading this so they can see things arent so bad

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

snaeksikn posted:

i hope the english selectors are reading this so they can see things arent so bad

It was wonderfully optimistic, wasn't it!

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

notaspy posted:

If we drop ballance and Bell who is going to be the sitter in the middle order? If we have nothing but bashers we'll either make 600 or 60

Better than 160 or 60

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
I'm confused as there appear to be batsmen in the county cricket who have scored plenty of runs who nobody mentions ever? What of the likes of *ahem*:

Steven Davies
James Hildreth

Okay actually there's nobody ... what about Jason Roy? Holy gently caress England playing stocks are dire, nobody averages over 40 in first class that isn't an international ring in?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Steven Smith 200 and 50= 9/10

What would get a 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws