Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not the only one that hasn't liked any of the alternate outfits, am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Nope, they are all pretty jarring and don't really fit the characters. I tried the Triss one in Novigard and she looked ridiculous trying to blend in with a bright sparkly green dress and her tits hanging out. The Yen one reminds me too much of Morrigan from DA.The default outfits are already good, being refreshingly covered up.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is one of the more immersive games I've played in awhile.

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Then you get to That Fight where someone uses all these tricks on you.

I got stuck at that boss because he has a bad habit of stunlocking you with bombs and signs as soon as the fight begins.

Then I realized I could do the same exact thing to him, so I just spammed aard and beat him on the second try.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Whats the deal with airline peanuts and also Galaxy downloading 1Gb of 1.07, after I manually downloaded & installed the 2Gig version from the website?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Sharmat posted:

No, Triss's is terrible and really out of character for her. Yennefers is ok but I much prefer her original. I'm trying out Ciri's now. I'm unsure tbh, some bits I like but not too keen on the bare belly.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So, anyone else not having achievements unlock on the PC version in 1.07?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Triss is way too elaborate and fancy for Novigrad, especially under Mad Rad.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Turtlicious posted:

Oh! And when you get to the cool dwarf town and you have a chance to have fun and be effective, all the enemies get a shitton more armor. So you're back to rubber mallets until you find enough teeth or what the gently caress ever. People say Geralt is a glass cannon, but he does no damage, his damaging sign does no damage, and the only thing that seemed effective were these daggers that do 4x the damage of my sword.
Do you use oils, a variety of signs especially Quen, traps, bombs? During every fight? Do you kite enemies to strategically position them, hit one that got detached from the group a couple of times and then roll away? Do you roll all the time like it's a Metroid morph ball section? Because these are things that you should be doing as the game is brutal and the basic damage you do is nothing unless you enhance it with all the stuff that the game gives you, all of it.

Then you'll hit the mid-game and suddenly you'll start killing everything with not that much effort but the earlier game is when you really need to use every single thing in your inventory to survive. Also honestly that's the time when the combat was the most enjoyable to me, all the power you get later on makes things easier but also way less interesting.

Also Witcher 3 is way more streamlined so you shouldn't have any trouble with combat here.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Triss's outfit is over-the-top and ridiculous but I think that's why I like it. It's something that an elven princess would wear, not a sorceress who is supposed to be in hiding. Might as well go nude for all the attention that dress would bring her.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Witcher 2 Combat chat: I always found the "game changing" skill that takes combat from pretty hard to reasonable was the one that dramatically reduces damage Geralt takes from behind. With full point (2?) it reduces damage to a normal level rather than 100%. Always took that regardless of what build I was going for.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
New patch is cool and all but I've had my first 4 CTD's since 1.07 came out :cry:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Feenix posted:

I know it was not advertised as doing so, but it's sad to say that 1.07 still crashes in the same place for me as 1.06 on PC. (the fight with the big nasty armored dude and his summoned hounds with Keira while in the caves.)
It always crashes in that fight.

Guess I'll have to just suck it up and play this on PS4. Sad, because it looks so much better (and i think runs better) on PC for me.

If you've got a reliable crash like that and you haven't already, please report it at the official forums and someone will contact you for a savegame, we can take a look at hopefully fix it in a later patch.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forums/174-Tech-Support

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Jenny o' the woods can suck a bag of dicks imo, what a loving imbalanced piece of poo poo is this quest goddammit

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ephex posted:

Jenny o' the woods can suck a bag of dicks imo, what a loving imbalanced piece of poo poo is this quest goddammit

I've heard a couple of complaints about this boss, I think it's mostly the regenerating health that throws people, even on easy she was a bit of a bitch but no where near as bad as the werewolves I've fought,

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Kaincypher posted:

Agreed. Not perfect, as the inventory management was still poo poo, even after the patch. Same with the Resident Evil 1 movement scheme. Even worse was the fighting, even the last boss mocks your twirly flipping fighting style. Seriously Geralt, love ya bud, but can you please fight with a minimum of pirouettes? Otherwise, game was epic and awesome. Got the "best" ending on the first try with no spoilers. Witcher 1 and 2 were a bit dodgy, but 3 was properly epic and amazing. Not perfect, but well worth full price, no question.

The pirouettes are an essential part of the fighting style and emphasized quite a bit in the books. It wouldn't be witcher combat without Geralt leaping about and spinning like a ballerina on fisstech.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

The Sharmat posted:

Triss's is super bad. I haven't seen Yen's.

I guess Ciri's is okay but it's stupid to have an exposed midriff when you're in a cold climate. If she covered up it'd actually be a bit better than the default imo.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ramagamma posted:

I've heard a couple of complaints about this boss, I think it's mostly the regenerating health that throws people, even on easy she was a bit of a bitch but no where near as bad as the werewolves I've fought,

My issue with it is that you have a tiny bubble of safety in which you can fight her without getting instantly murdered, and Geralts combat animation takes him out of that bubble in like one or two swings. It's just a really long fiddly fight that doesn't feel rewarding.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

JoshTheStampede posted:

My issue with it is that you have a tiny bubble of safety in which you can fight her without getting instantly murdered, and Geralts combat animation takes him out of that bubble in like one or two swings. It's just a really long fiddly fight that doesn't feel rewarding.

Speak for yourself, when I first beat her I stood up and cheered. She is a tough fight for the listed level, but she's not unfair at all.

A lot of it also depends on how you spec. If you have multiple Yrrdens you can drop, she's really kinda trivial.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

So is 1.7 not out for PS4 yet?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Came out on Saturday.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I never use quen, and I beat Jenny O' the Woods under the suggested level. :smug:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

As far as I can see it's everywhere barring the UK.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JetsGuy posted:

Morkvarg :
i don't remember when, I think after you explore the cave and find the key so you can ready the diary you can confront the rear end in a top hat who gave you the quest. Turns out he cursed Morkvarg with an enchanted fang or some poo poo. You have three options there:
1- kill them all and take the fang
2 - don't care take fang (which will get you the reward when you kill him)
3 - say they suck after they give you the fang and they laugh at you saying what u going to do lol and then you're locked out of loot from them AND you can't attack them

Anyway with Morkvarg himself you have to talk to him when he's dying. It'll give you the options to talk to him endlessly (he eventually dies and respawns), feed him the flesh (kills him) or give him the fang(cures him)

He then immediately laughs about how he has to make up for lost time. Pretend you don't care and take the reward. Then as he's walking away you can cut him down in one swing.

I took option one here and my overzealous usage of bombs led to the one and only situation in my first play through where I fought and killed a pair of guards. Guards don't like it when a medieval, handheld claymore mine goes off near them. You know, just so everyone is aware.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Malek Deneith posted:

That's... nice that you feel that way. Great for you. But at least at the early, early stage of the game I'm in the numbers do make a difference (for example the upgrade from starting silver sword to viper one? Quite noticable improvement for me), and if I'm to pick between armors I'd like to have some basis to do so on.

Basically, as has been said - green good, red bad, but I suppose it's worth saying more in case more people find themselves falling into this trap. The differences in stats for defensive things are statistically insignificant in that any fight which you are actually threatened with death, the marginal boost provided by min-maxing defensive stats would not actually allow you to survive for an additional hit in most cases. And, frankly, the biggest boost to your survivability is learning monster attack patterns and avoiding getting hit ever. Then, once you get to the mid-teens/low twenties you're far enough in a tree that you can make combat a joke with one of your tree abilities.

e: and once you get this high you'll wear crafted witcher gear for the rest of the game. So then you can REALLY ignore numbers.

NESguerilla posted:

Cool. I was thinking that might be the best course of action.

After the first time you kill him, you need to find where he was chained up and he'll appear behind you and tell you the story related to the gory scene you see before you.

If you've already done that, then yeah just fast travel around, meditate once or twice. That usually seems to reset flags and npc placements pretty reliably.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 20, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ice Fist posted:

I took option one here and my overzealous usage of bombs led to the one and only situation in my first play through where I fought and killed a pair of guards. Guards don't like it when a medieval, handheld claymore mine goes off near them. You know, just so everyone is aware.

What pissed me off is that I couldn't attack them. I've slain groups of people worse than you tools, lemme show y'all. by the way, is it me or are the guards bound to being your level + 15 or something? Because I could have sworn the Novigard guards were 30-something, but I recently pissed one off and they were all 46 now that I'm 34. :xd: Guards OP.

Speaking of, since leveling doesn't work the same way it does in regular RPGs (i.e. I can't just farm mobs), is there a place to go get XP after I'm done literally everything? Well, the game doesn't know I'm done everything, I have 2 quests with everything done, but never got triggered into the "done" list (one is the epilogue quest where you chase some dude's horse, the other is the second triss statue quest). the only thing that would give me XP quest-wise is finishing my gwent deck.

I don't even care if it's an exploit at this point, I'm level 35. Surely there's something I can do? Can't wait for the DLC.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If I remember my Scandinavian languages right, doesn't Morkvarg basically mean dark wolf / shadow wolf? Maybe it's supposed to be Myrk in Norwegian? If that's about right, they're doing pretty ok at making up somewhat sensible names.

Edit:

JetsGuy posted:

Morkvarg :
i don't remember when, I think after you explore the cave and find the key so you can ready the diary you can confront the rear end in a top hat who gave you the quest. Turns out he cursed Morkvarg with an enchanted fang or some poo poo. You have three options there:
1- kill them all and take the fang
2 - don't care take fang (which will get you the reward when you kill him)
3 - say they suck after they give you the fang and they laugh at you saying what u going to do lol and then you're locked out of loot from them AND you can't attack them

Anyway with Morkvarg himself you have to talk to him when he's dying. It'll give you the options to talk to him endlessly (he eventually dies and respawns), feed him the flesh (kills him) or give him the fang(cures him)

He then immediately laughs about how he has to make up for lost time. Pretend you don't care and take the reward. Then as he's walking away you can cut him down in one swing.

What about option (4)? I killed Morkvarg without lifting the curse even though I had the fang via (2) Is that basically option 2? I kind of haven't turned in the quest yet after maybe 6 levels of running around with it finished and have been busy off elsewhere doing other things.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 20, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Q!=E

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

necrobobsledder posted:

If I remember my Scandinavian languages right, doesn't Morkvarg basically mean dark wolf / shadow wolf? Maybe it's supposed to be Myrk in Norwegian? If that's about right, they're doing pretty ok at making up somewhat sensible names.

Edit:
What about option (4)? I killed Morkvarg without lifting the curse even though I had the fang via (2) Is that basically option 2? I kind of haven't turned in the quest yet after maybe 6 levels of running around with it finished and have been busy off elsewhere doing other things.

yeah I was referring to the options you have in dealing with his former buddies. You can go back and tell them you killed Morkvarg, it doesn't really matter HOW... I'm just more mad that I couldn't kill them all anyway after having them give me the fang. It was more because of their "lol we'll kick your poo poo in Witcher" I think.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Did they explain why the level requirements for witcher gear was increased with the latest patch? My swords were unequiped after a cutscene for some reason and now I can't use them until I level up.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Maybe you should shoot more mans Javes.

This is belt

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Javes posted:

Did they explain why the level requirements for witcher gear was increased with the latest patch? My swords were unequiped after a cutscene for some reason and now I can't use them until I level up.

a buddy of mine was super pissed his enhanced griffin gear was unequipped when he got in because of hte increases and he had no backups because he sold them all (like most people do). He ended up recrafting the base set. :xd:

I'm glad they normalized the levels and poo poo for the witcher gear though. Felt weird before. I'm sure it's partly related to what we're going to be expected to have/be at for the DLC. I wonder what level witcher gear will be the next tier :v: "Legendary Griffin Gear"?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pik_d posted:

Ah, ok. Well hopefully pik_d will be able to at least get you past that area.

I did it :toot:
[/quote]

Thanks dude. Who's to say if I'll run into more trouble in the future but I've been playing a solid 2 hours now and all is good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
W2 seemed punishingly difficult in the tutorial, eased up ever so slightly in Act 1, then after that it became way easier. Throw more signs and you need better gear if you're not doing any damage.

The Sharmat posted:

I right there with you.

I mean don't get me wrong I appreciate free poo poo after release I'm just not into it.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 20, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Helith posted:

No, Triss's is terrible and really out of character for her. Yennefers is ok but I much prefer her original. I'm trying out Ciri's now. I'm unsure tbh, some bits I like but not too keen on the bare belly.

I don't like the alt outfits because occasionally a pre-rendered cutscene will play and show them in their original outfit and that breaks my ~immersion~

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Moridin920 posted:

W2 seemed punishingly difficult in the tutorial

Haha, yeah, this was great.

*Dumps 800 combat maneuvers and every variety of enemy in the game on a completely new player*

:eng101: "Hmm, looks like you suck and should play on "Insultingly Easy" mode"

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't like the alt outfits because occasionally a pre-rendered cutscene will play and show them in their original outfit and that breaks my ~immersion~

Also in dialogue they refer to Yennefer as being dressed in black & white but her alternate outfit is black & green.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there even any way to turn the outfits off once you have downloaded them?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Is there even any way to turn the outfits off once you have downloaded them?

Yeah you can switch em off at the main menu. They're under one of the options menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Because I'm a gentleman I always choose for Ciri to wear a towel in the sauna.