Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Should have gone subs, shippy. They get the best chow. :chiefsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just found out my resignation orders are in their final stage of approval. Looks like a terminal December for a January exit. Then probably 3 months active in Fallon as a reservist starting in February because I needs the money before school... just when I think I'm out the Navy pulls me right back in.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Seqenenra posted:

No matter what, you'll be able to look back and be happy that you didn't go engineering. HT especially.

HT is the shittiest rate.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Stultus Maximus posted:

HT is the shittiest rate.

Understatement. I liked how they are always trying to shake hands.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

One of my friends got accepted to Yale, instead of going he decided to sign up as an HT. He's on the East Coast with some hovercraft dudes or whatever and spends his time on the side making micro brews so I guess your mileage may vary. Iff you end up in Lemoore I'm going to laugh really hard at you, Anita.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Boon posted:

I just found out my resignation orders are in their final stage of approval. Looks like a terminal December for a January exit. Then probably 3 months active in Fallon as a reservist starting in February because I needs the money before school... just when I think I'm out the Navy pulls me right back in.

Unemployment?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah it's kind of self-inflicted. I'm heading back to school in August of 16, already accepted just waiting till then. So instead of spending my winter months in my cold-rear end Wisconsin home I figured I can bank some money at my current level and then come back in time for the Brewers to start their 2016 poo poo campaign while I wait to go to school.

It's kind of a "Cant wait to get out of the Navy!" ... "Reserves don't count!" kind of thinking.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Pandasmores posted:

One of my friends got accepted to Yale, instead of going he decided to sign up as an HT. He's on the East Coast with some hovercraft dudes or whatever and spends his time on the side making micro brews so I guess your mileage may vary. Iff you end up in Lemoore I'm going to laugh really hard at you, Anita.

Your friend is stupid as gently caress.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I continuously mocked him for his skipping out on going to Yale to experience getting hosed repeatedly.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Fart Sandwiches posted:

That is a whole different kind of stupid. Yale or wallowing in other people's feces all day forever.... Tough call.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Seriously who loving chooses to enlist in the military over going to Yale? :shrek:

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Maybe I was just a scared kid, but the urge to jerk it never once crossed my mind there. A week later a A school otoh I probably could have cured California's drought issue.

I thought the same thing, but maybe because I was 28 while i was at bootcamp. Apparently there was even a schedule for who was jerking off when, which was weirder to me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I just did it when I wanted who cares about the guy in the next stall.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What I found weirdest was the dudes who would shave their balls in the shower, even more so because it was a group activity for some cats. Go figure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

What I found weirdest was the dudes who would shave their balls in the shower, even more so because it was a group activity for some cats. Go figure.

Yeah I can't think of another time were group ball shaving seems relatively normal for a bunch of dudes. One guy broke out so bad his sack and shaft looked like a sparking disco ball.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I shaved Friday and don't play on doing it again until at least A school. :shrug:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Why would you even shave in basic?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Anita Dickinme posted:

because otherwise you get screamed at for having even a bit of stubble showing?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

On your balls? What the hell kind of RDC did you have?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Anita Dickinme posted:

What if one of the trolls lovely female sailors from your sister div wants to give you a blowie in the laundry room?

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

it's a New Navy

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You know, I have extended family members who are all about bullshit like state governors declaring that their National Guardsmen to be armed in the wake of that recent Chatanooga shooting and other general rah rah troops things.

Am I wrong in thinking, "gently caress you, cousin, you want to 'protect the troops' and 'support the troops' but here I am, the only member of the military in the entire extended family, who has been deployed 3 times, and you didn't send me a letter or email once. gently caress you." ?

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 21, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bengy81 posted:

What if one of the trolls lovely female sailors from your sister div wants to give you a blowie in the laundry room?

She'll hafta deal with it. :colbert:

ded posted:

Genitalia inspection is why I joined the Navy.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

bengy81 posted:

What if one of the trolls lovely female OR MALE sailors from your sister div wants to give you a blowie in the laundry room?

Since it's a new Navy, I fixed it for you.

Edit:

Boon posted:

You know, I have extended family members who are all about bullshit like state governors declaring that their National Guardsmen to be armed in the wake of that recent Chatanooga shooting and other general rah rah troops things.

Am I wrong in thinking, "gently caress you, cousin, you want to 'protect the troops' and 'support the troops' but here I am, the only member of the military in the entire extended family, who has been deployed 3 times, and you didn't send me a letter or email once. gently caress you." ?

They were too busy enjoying the freedoms you were protecting. :911:

germskr fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 21, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

i guess i missed the part about it being about ball shaving

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Boon posted:

Yeah but then they'd care about you and not ARE TROOPS, which is way easier to do.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Anita Dickinme posted:

Genitalia inspection is why I joined the Navy.
This is more accurate than you even realize yet, just make sure you witness the stream exiting the body!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Howard Phillips posted:

Seriously who loving chooses to enlist in the military over going to Yale? :shrek:

Someone lying about getting into Yale.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I was a national champion wrestler all 4 years and had a full ride through college for football but I got injured and wanted to serve my country

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

Or someone who got way too into Richard Henry Dana.

I once ran into a Rhodes Scholar who was working as AUXO on a DDG. All I could think was "you worked so much harder than me and got put in a worse job. Isn't the Navy grand?"

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
I've got a buddy who is the CEO of a multi-million dollar start up in his mid-twenties that wants to join either the Army or Navy as an officer. I just laugh at what he thinks the service is about versus what it really is. Examples of some of his misguided ideals:

we PT for hours every single day
as a junior officer, he will lead men who are motivated or root out the ones who are unmotivated
he will change his superior's minds on just about anything by taking them to the mats and doing jiu jitsu and/or pointing to his successes in the business world (I wish I was joking)

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Just tell him all of that is true.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Just tell him all of that is true.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

18 year old seaman apprentice me used the i turned down yale line on a Yale student in new Haven. Worked.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I was a national champion wrestler all 4 years and had a full ride through college for football but I got injured and wanted to serve my country

That's the universal HM excuse it seems.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I never trusted anyone in the military whose primary motivation was "serving their country."

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I sprained my ankle pretty bad this past weekend. Instead of going to the clinic I just saved the time and prescribed myself Motrin, iced it, will keep weight off it for a period of time, and ace-wrap it when I do decide to get more active.

I like to think I'm a real American hero.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The USO in Phoenix is pretty bomb. Lay overs are better with free snacks, a couch and some chill old people volunteers. Guess that's a perk of being in the silly hat club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Can vets go or do you have to be retired or medically retired?

• Locked thread