Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is obviously some context which makes calling a black person "Darkie McRetard" not racist that you're all deliberately ignoring thanks to the d&d hivemind echo chamber ~*~narrative~*~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Post about Police, Criminal Justice and Baltimore Riots, not other threads on this website please.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

Post about Police, Criminal Justice and Baltimore Riots, not other threads on this website please.

Let's cut Baltimore Riots from it, they are soooo yesterday.

Mods, namechange back to "Let's debate about Police and Criminal Justice"

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Exclamation Marx posted:

Could you maybe remove the barefaced bigot from the thread / message board to facilitate this?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Voyager I posted:

Could you maybe remove the barefaced bigot from the thread / message board to facilitate this?

As long as he's able to conceal his bigotry while in D&D, he can post in D&D. That doesn't mean you need to engage with what he posts though!

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Exclamation Marx posted:

As long as he's able to conceal his bigotry while in D&D, he can post in D&D. That doesn't mean you need to engage with what he posts though!

Why wouldn't he also need to conceal his bigotry in GiP?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Exclamation Marx posted:

He hasn't and doesn't though. This forum used to have rules, actionable rules, against bad faith posting, trolling and being outright crazy motherfuckers. loving gbs has stricter moderation these days.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

az posted:

He hasn't and doesn't though. This forum used to have rules, actionable rules, against bad faith posting, trolling and being outright crazy motherfuckers. loving gbs has stricter moderation these days.

I heartily agree. Falling back to screaming racist over and over because you can't argue effectively with a person with an opposing viewpoint effectively is pretty bad.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Spacman posted:

I heartily agree. Falling back to screaming racist over and over because you can't argue effectively with a person with an opposing viewpoint effectively is pretty bad.

Where do you see people unable to effectively argue against his viewpoint?

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Voyager I posted:

Disagree 100%. The core issue with the majority of the incidents discussed in this thread is racism, having a bright shining beacon of this helps the discussion. Give you a glimpse into the abyss if you will, same as having DR and AR posting, gives you a good look into the problem by letting you understand the mental gymnastics of those who are inside the system.

Helps when you're wondering "how the gently caress does this happen", watching the twisted hosed up logic and thinking of people like them helps to understand why. That it's not limited to the system being broken but that the people in that system are massive part of the problem as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Toasticle posted:

Disagree 100%. The core issue with the majority of the incidents discussed in this thread is racism, having a bright shining beacon of this helps the discussion. Give you a glimpse into the abyss if you will, same as having DR and AR posting, gives you a good look into the problem by letting you understand the mental gymnastics of those who are inside the system.

Helps when you're wondering "how the gently caress does this happen", watching the twisted hosed up logic and thinking of people like them helps to understand why. That it's not limited to the system being broken but that the people in that system are massive part of the problem as well.

No it doesn't, because they aren't "discussing" anything. They just put up a wall of dumb racist poo poo that we could find in any number of dumb racist websites. Having that poo poo here is completely stupid and it doesn't aid anything. If anything it bogs down discussion as people can't help but engage them fruitlessly. It's a massive distraction that just potentially tanks threads.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

az posted:

Mods need body cams.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A black trooper helps a KKK member suffering from a sunstroke:

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Just so y'all know, if anyone calls me "Darkie McRetard", I will choke therm out.

Then I'll be arrested and killed by the police because I'm a dangerous negro.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
said officer Wilson after mutilating a prisoner's eye in front of six other guards. Five of who didn't see nothing. The sixth who testified was terminated hours after Wilson's conviction.

But hey, a white guy got pulled over for not using his blinker that one time so it's totes not a systemic issue.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
"The officers’ subsequent reaction to Cuneo’s assertion of his rights is nothing short of criminal assault. However, as is the case most of the time, these officers arrested and charged Cuneo with a crime after they assaulted him."

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/disturbing-video-shows-nj-cops-tear-open-teens-face-giving/#DgpaZEeoYFtJ42rH.99

And the beat (down) goes on, yada yada yaa.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Edit: Wrong thread.

DARPA posted:

said officer Wilson after mutilating a prisoner's eye in front of six other guards. Five of who didn't see nothing. The sixth who testified was terminated hours after Wilson's conviction.

I realize that can happen as a fluke, but to do it to someone intentionally takes some effort. Or not much maybe if the guy is cuffed and shackled and being restrained by 5 other people. :barf:

Pohl fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 19, 2015

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
In the video, Officer Tyler Walker can be seen picking up 18-year-old Alexis Acker and violently body-slamming her down onto the floor where she hits face first while her hands were behind her in handcuffs.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/watch-colorado-cop-brutally-slams-woman-to-the-floor-in-hospital-hallway-knocking-out-her-teeth/

According to KKTV, Walker is is the son of the former Deputy Chief of Police, Rod Walker.

Bet you he gets a vacation and back pay.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
http://www.msnbc.com/melissa-harris-perry/watch/understanding-the-place-where-sandra-bland-died-487202883535?cid=sm_fb_msnbc

According to an MSNBC report, Waller County, the place where Sandra Bland was probably murdered, has a very long and very recent history of racism. The prosecutor threatened to prosecute any students from the historically black college who attempted to vote. The graveyards are segregated.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Spacman posted:

Do you think that 'just act white' is a valid suggestion, and if so, can you explain what acting black is in your opinion?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DARPA posted:

But hey, a white guy got pulled over for not using his blinker that one time so it's totes not a systemic issue.

Jesus Christ. That's vomit-worthy.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
"Acting white" as something that meant being well behaved (a pussy) is something I learned from the black kids I grew up with. It's really weird how alot of this thread is making it seem like its just this one way label, from top to bottum.

afeelgoodpoop fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 20, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

"Acting white" as something that meant being well behaved (a pussy) is something I learned from the black kids I grew up with. It's really weird how alot of this thread is making it seem like its just this one way label, from top to bottum.

John Crawford should have acted white. :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pohl posted:

John Crawford should have acted white. :colbert:

Carrying a gun in a Walmart is the most incredibly white thing he could have done, actually.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

edit:build a poop tunnel. Everyone wins.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

DARPA posted:

Seems to me that the problem here is an honest to god psychopath being hired as a prison guard (and the thin blue line stuff), I mean it's a good example of misconduct going completely ignored but not a good example of systemic racism.

Mandy Thompson posted:

http://www.msnbc.com/melissa-harris-perry/watch/understanding-the-place-where-sandra-bland-died-487202883535?cid=sm_fb_msnbc

According to an MSNBC report, Waller County, the place where Sandra Bland was probably murdered, has a very long and very recent history of racism. The prosecutor threatened to prosecute any students from the historically black college who attempted to vote. The graveyards are segregated.

Is there anything that even kinda-sorta hints at Bland's death being a murder? I don't think an overzealous local prosecutor counts, by the way

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

captainblastum posted:

Do you think that 'just act white' is a valid suggestion, and if so, can you explain what acting black is in your opinion?

Did anyone ever actually suggest "acting white"? I've gone through a few pages here and I can't find it, just a few references. In any case talking to a police officer the same way you talk to your buddies is pretty dumb yeah no matter your race.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

semper wifi posted:

Did anyone ever actually suggest "acting white"? I've gone through a few pages here and I can't find it, just a few references. In any case talking to a police officer the same way you talk to your buddies is pretty dumb yeah no matter your race.

Yes, here:

Dahn posted:

Ahhh, most traffic violations are a cops word against yours. "A cop says so", carries a lot of weight in the legal system. Do cops lie, I'm sure they do.

I realize that the SA burden of proof is much higher.

The only thing I have seen that matches SA muster is a video shot much later in the stop. She seemed very agitated in that video, but when your laying on the ground cuffed, your are entitled to be a little miffed.

My advice to young people of color pulled over by the cops, act "white". If you start claiming your were stopped for DWB or screaming "am I being detained!" you are making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Pretend your Ward Cleaver, or Dr Huxstable. I you say "Good evening officer is there something I can help you with", the odds of you ending up hanging in a jail cell go down.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
That's pretty good advice though and would've kept like half of the people featured in the videos posted here out of handcuffs

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Okay, can you describe what it means to act black in your opinion then?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Acting polite (which is a much less racist phrasing than "acting white") should not be a prerequisite to avoiding police brutality.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

If you look back at most of the videos of white people being arrested or shot you have them doing retarded stupid poo poo or flat out disregarding the safety of officers and others. White people are so ignorant of the fact that they get away with bullshit that they honestly think they are the measurement for good behavior. All you have to do is look at that family that starts a fist fight with a group of officers, Dinkheller or any sporting event to see that they act badly.

Minorities have to act better than white people around officers because officers give white people way more leeway than anyone else. More so if the person they pulled over is a leo as well.

The fact that someone earnestly thinks that Joey Whitebread gets arrested less than James Wheatbread due to behavior is stupid. Whitebread has been statistically proven to carry illegal contraband 3 times more than anyone else

Strait up you don't want people acting like this http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/video-shows-walmart-brawl-christian-family-band-cops-article-1.2181445

Or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z8q4lOrDU

Can you see any case where a person of color is given that much leeway?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sean Hannity simply tells police that pull him over he has a gun and then lifts his shirt to show them and they wave him off. Clearly that's "acting white" and wouldn't result in any different outcome for non-white people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Acting polite should not be a prerequisite to avoiding police brutality.
It shouldn't, but it's still definitely a good idea.

I blame the corporate cowardice of customer service culture for teaching an entire generation of Americans that throwing a tantrum is how to get their way.

Radish posted:

Sean Hannity simply tells police that pull him over he has a gun and then lifts his shirt to show them and they wave him off. Clearly that's "acting white" and wouldn't result in any different outcome for non-white people.
I hope that is true because it means it is that much more likely that someone will shoot Sean Hannity.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It shouldn't, but it's still definitely a good idea.

Of course it's a good idea, politeness is pretty much always a good idea. But the problem is the perception of brutality incidents through the lens of politeness. "Well, he was being upp..., uhm, talking back, of course the cops slammed him into the ground/tazed him/roughed him up. Maybe if he just acted white it wouldn't have ended up that way, but what are you going to do?" is an all too common refrain used to excuse violence.

Acting polite is not an excuse for brutality, full stop. Someone's rudeness is absolutely irrelevant to discussions on the use of force.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Acting polite (which is a much less racist phrasing than "acting white") should not be a prerequisite to avoiding police brutality.

Yeah, I'm going to add on that I would hope the people we trust with firearms and civil immunity would have better self restraint than we demand out of the local bagger at Walmart. But if that were the case I would imagine this discussion would not be taking place so...

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

semper wifi posted:

Seems to me that the problem here is an honest to god psychopath being hired as a prison guard (and the thin blue line stuff), I mean it's a good example of misconduct going completely ignored but not a good example of systemic racism.

The "thin blue line stuff" shouldn't be a cursory topic. It's more serious of an issue than the actions of a single, deranged individual.

Other than the officer who testified (and was vilified & nearly ruined because of it), it's much easier to assume that the other officers present, as well as the prison management, all colluded to make sure this incident never saw the light of day. To be sure, it doesn't appear that the officer who committed the crime would've faced any consequences had Pisciotta not testified.

That's systemic. Whether it's simply systemic abuse or systemic racism is up to you to parse; but I can't imagine the offending officer's comments post-assault are some type of outlier.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
So what can be done against the thin blue line issue anyway? Is it a question of leadership holding officers to a higher standard? Incentivizing whistleblowing? How the hell do you fix that poo poo?

In Germany we have the same problem, though it seems that bad apples have much less leeway and standards of professionalism are higher than in the US...

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

snorch posted:

So what can be done against the thin blue line issue anyway? Is it a question of leadership holding officers to a higher standard? Incentivizing whistleblowing? How the hell do you fix that poo poo?

In Germany we have the same problem, though it seems that bad apples have much less leeway and standards of professionalism are higher than in the US...

Whatever the myriad steps involved with reversing its course, it has to be a top-down approach. Threats of recrimination from above for doing the right thing are bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

semper wifi posted:

How is a prison guard gouging out a black man's eye with his bare hands, then calling him a friend of the family, then having the entire prison top to bottom, save for one man who then gets fired, not an example of racism? This is the actual example that you're looking for, where the racist loudly yells "I'm doing this because you're black!" as he commits a crime.

• Locked thread